[Guide] The Ultimate Jagermech Guide

120 replies to this topic

#81 Kaylos Thex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

Well, having just used the double xp weekend to get all the basics for the 3 Jagers I found a new build that I really enjoy.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c19d438f4613d7f

Pretty straightforward build

JMA-6A

XL260
Endo
Double heat sinks

2 UAC5 w/8tons
4 SSRM w/2 tons
2 Med Lasers

400 armor

A normal mech only has 7 slots to hide ammo. The legs, CT, and head. Having an XL rules out CASE so I put the last ton in the arm and hope I use it up before the arm gets shot off. Then again, I rarely loose an arm on a Jager. Unlike Centurions and Hunchbacks no one seems to try to disarm these mechs.

Edited by Kaylos Thex, 03 April 2013 - 08:58 PM.

#82 Icepick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 153 posts
  • LocationProbably at Work

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:19 AM

I have fully sold my soul to the gods of Dakka, dropped all pretense of sissy "backup weapons," crammed as much engine, armor, gunz, and ammo as I could fit on there.

XL300 makes it drive like a tall Catapult, which is a good thing.

I give you the Hammer Drill

JM6-S
XL300
4xAC2(7t)
394 FF Armor
Endo-Steel
14 DHS

Edit: Link messed up

Edited by Icepick, 04 April 2013 - 04:30 AM.

#83 Shuyen

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

View PostDuncan Longwood, on 03 April 2013 - 10:18 AM, said:

JM6-S

I have been using this build with some success. The 300XL puts it at 82.2kph after speed tweak. I have the AC2's with enough ammo to harass any targets of opportunity and I have the Mplas for any lights that want to get in my face.

I have 3 weapon groups set up; 1 is my ACs's. 2 is Mplas Alpha. 3 is Mplas on chain-fire. If I start a fight at zero heat, there isn't a CT in the game that won't get burned down before I shut-down if I'm blasting both AC's and chain-firing the Mplas.

How does having all the ammo in the legs work out? I remember reading a post, from a Dev, where he said he loved shooting up damaged legs with MG's to trigger ammo explostions. It seems like players are starting to hunt for those.

Although, with that said, the torso on a Jagermech is a shot magnet, so it can't be any more or less dangerous than putting all the ammo in there. :/

#84 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

I swear on my Wang's shield, and my Cat's flap, that if your leg armor is above 35, you'll never be legged.

#85 Kaylos Thex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 142 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

I have been legged twice in MWO.

Twice...ever.

I need to do it more to others. It is pretty standard to hide ammo in the legs and shave armor to free up tonnage.

#86 Shuyen

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

View PostKaylos Thex, on 04 April 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

Twice...ever.

I need to do it more to others. It is pretty standard to hide ammo in the legs and shave armor to free up tonnage.

Well, I know I've suffered from ammo explosions more than twice on my Jager's with storage in the torsos. So maybe I'll give putting ammo in legs a go.

#87 Texugo87

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

My current favorite 6S build is basically a Rifleman clone.

Endo, Double heatsinks, XL265

2 AC5 w/ 150 rounds

2 Medium Lasers

2 ER Large Lasers

Armor to suit.

Alternative is to drop ammo 2 tons and switch to UAC5's, although the uneven firing rate drives me nuts with the current firing delay. I haven't had to much a problem with heat management, although i do chain fire the ERLLs at close range and group fire them at longer ranges.

Previous build is 2 AC2's, 2MLs, and a AC20 (or 10). This was fairly effective, though ammo was a bit of a problem, as well as running out of slots.

With my faux rifleman build I've definately found my stride with chassis and have started to really like the Jagger!

#88 Duncan Longwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

If it takes more damage to leg a Jaeger than to headshot it, why would anyone shoot at my legs? With the arms up so high, I spend most of my matches with at least part of my legs behind cover. By the time my legs are in the open some part of my torso is yellowish and just asking to get shot at instead.

#89 Theta359

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:04 AM

View PostHelmstif, on 20 March 2013 - 05:11 AM, said:

I built my mech like you proposed in your first post. I do like the quad AC2 even when you're out of ammo quite fast. But i don't really know how to use the small lasers properly. in my opinion they dont do any damage, even on close range (and you have to get very close). I find them quite useless so far...
Is there any way to optimize that part of the Build? Any clues? Tanks :D

#90 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:14 AM

I do XL 280 + Endo steel, 2x AC20 2x ML, 6 Tons AC ammo on ALL my Jagermechs (there's no need for any other build)

Edit: My combined Jagermech stats (using same build on all three)
Games: 80
Wins: 46 (1.35 win ratio)
Kills: 117 (2.6 kill ratio)
Deaths: 45
Total Damage: 31,172

Edited by Vxheous, 06 April 2013 - 01:23 AM.

#91 Shuyen

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

I am still goofing around trying to sort a mid price (read: no XL engine) S build. Right now it's got (approx.):

Endo structure
FF Armor (around the 370 level)
Standard HS (13-14 of them, I think)

1x AC/10 (2t ammo) (wpn grp 1)
1x LL (wpn grp 1) (wpn grp 3)
2x ML (wpn grp 2)
2x MG (1t ammo) (wpn grp 2)

Notes:
  • I am still getting used to the damn AC/10. Its recycle time and projective velocity are way, way slower than I am used to with the AC/2's. NO Daka-daka-daka-daka, which is a sad, sad thing. Plus the amount you have to lead mechs on long range shots is ridiculous. On the other hand, it makes a very satisfying BOOM when it shoots and people sure as heck take notice when it hits. Hah!
  • The LL has a faster recycle and longer range than the AC/10. I can't snipe (per se) with it because I have to expose over half my torso to get the shot off. But it's still a good mix of range, damage and heat for the long(er) range targets (wpn grp 3). Once the targets get to mid-range, I can bang and pew pew away at them with both the LL and AC/10 (wpn grp 1).
  • The close up group (wpn grp 2: 2xML, 2xMG) is for continuous fire at anything that gets close, and when I have a solid shot I'll add in a pop from the LL & AC/10 on chain fire (wpn grp 1).
It's not an amazing build. It dies alot, like all non-maxed out JM6's do. There are alot of compromises in there and I'm still trying to figure out the AC/10. I am always tempted to roll back to the dual AC/2's because I just LOVE reaching out and touching people at 1000m. Well, that and the rate of fire is addicting. ;)

Edited by Shuyen, 05 April 2013 - 04:10 PM.

#92 Main Man

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

View PostKaylos Thex, on 04 April 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

Twice...ever.

I typically run 30-36 armor in the legs but I've been getting legged pretty consistently lately (maybe 30% of deaths). Even with my Highlander which runs a whopping 70 in the legs has been legged lately. I attribute that to JJ usage mostly but I've been taking a TON of leg shots lately.

#93 Kaylos Thex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

I usually run the same amount of armor on the legs as the arm is at max. That usually only equates to a half ton of savings.

A pro tip for all you quad AC users.

Bind each autocannon to a seperate fire group. 1, 2, 3, and 4. When you really want to lay on the dakka, drum your fingers on those keys. You can get substantially faster firing than chain fire.

#94 Aylek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 292 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:35 PM

View PostShuyen, on 05 April 2013 - 04:04 PM, said:

I am still goofing around trying to sort a mid price (read: no XL engine) S build. Right now it's got (approx.):

Endo structure
FF Armor (around the 370 level)
Standard HS (13-14 of them, I think)

Standard HS are seriously limiting the capabilities of the mech. Even if you need the S just for leveling the JMs I'd consider adding them. Additionally, you might get the hang of them and keep several variants. I for myself sold the DD but really love both my A and S variant.

So by ignoring this parameter of your's this might be a build for you: JM6-S / Gauss + LL:

270 Standard, DD, Endo, no additional DHS
- Gauss (3t)
- 2 LL
- 2 ML
- Cooling Efficency 35% (54% whithout firing the ML!)

This is very similar to my current A variant (Gauss, 2LL, 3 SSRM2), which I am digging a lot. It plays the role of a serious midrange fire support, but also brawls quite nicely as soon as you get the hang of torso twisting for damage mitigation. Three SSRM2 are more capable of scaring of non ECM lights than a pair of ML, but the combination of LL and ML might do. Enjoy!

Oh, and AC10s are great... practice, practice, practice :blink:

#95 Shuyen

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

View PostAylek, on 05 April 2013 - 10:35 PM, said:

Standard HS are seriously limiting the capabilities of the mech. Even if you need the S just for leveling the JMs I'd consider adding them. Additionally, you might get the hang of them and keep several variants. I for myself sold the DD but really love both my A and S variant.

So by ignoring this parameter of your's this might be a build for you: JM6-S / Gauss + LL:

270 Standard, DD, Endo, no additional DHS
- Gauss (3t)
- 2 LL
- 2 ML
- Cooling Efficency 35% (54% whithout firing the ML!)

This is very similar to my current A variant (Gauss, 2LL, 3 SSRM2), which I am digging a lot. It plays the role of a serious midrange fire support, but also brawls quite nicely as soon as you get the hang of torso twisting for damage mitigation. Three SSRM2 are more capable of scaring of non ECM lights than a pair of ML, but the combination of LL and ML might do. Enjoy!

Oh, and AC10s are great... practice, practice, practice :P

I currently have a JRM-6S and a JRM-6A. The A I have dialed to my liking with the LBX-10 "R*dneck" shotgun build. The S I am playing with still. These are my first heavy mechs. Prior to this I ran through the COM's and TBT's. I still have a COM-2D and a TBT-7K in the garage, along with the 2 JM6's. I tried DHS's in the smaller mechs, but they didn't seem worth it with the ******** 10 HS min. I mean, crap, if a DHS is twice as effective as a standard, and I need 10 standard HS, why can't I launch a mech with 5 DHS? Yeesh! Stoopid. But, anyways... ^_^

I'll give DHS a whirl on the JRM-6S later today. I just played a match running 2xAC/5 (3t ammo), 3xML, 2xMG instead of the build above. It was pretty fun. A TBT popped his torso over the crashed dropship in the Frozen City and a promptly got him for 20pts in the chest and 10 in the head before he backed down under cover. I liked it!

Edited by Shuyen, 06 April 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#96 SchwarzerPeter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 202 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

I dont like XL in my Jagger. I lose a torso side pretty often, so i keep my std engine. You should upgrade to DHS though, it realy makes a diffeent.
I run my Jagger S with this loadout:

STD 260, Endo, 10 DHS (just engine)
2 UAC5, 7t ammo
4 ML
AMS, 1t ammo

You have to controll your trigger finger, even in a brawl. Otherwise you are screwed if your mainweapons are jammed. Once you get the hang its pretty funny ^_^

You can also run dual AC10 or quad AC2. But the UAC5 is more effektive for me.

I would drop the mg's in a jagger. More ammo/hs/lasers are a better investment imho.

#97 JSparrowist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationBoomer Sooner

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:42 PM

I recently bought an S and have been trying to find a useful build. So far I'm XL 280, DHS, Endo, 2xAC5, 2xLL... I can manage some pretty decent damage with it but to me the Jager is made of glass...my armor is at max too. ^_^

#98 Madwill

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

View PostJSparrowist, on 06 April 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

I recently bought an S and have been trying to find a useful build. So far I'm XL 280, DHS, Endo, 2xAC5, 2xLL... I can manage some pretty decent damage with it but to me the Jager is made of glass...my armor is at max too. ^_^

it's the XL. drop to a lower std engine and you might be able to fit ferro in as well. i run 2x AC5 with 4xML with std 280, ferro, and endo. that mech can take a beating.

#99 Shuyen

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

I added DHS to my JRM-6S and dig it. The build I am going to try later today when I leave work is going to replace the 2xAC/5 and 1xLL with 1xAC/2 and 1x/Gauss Cannon. So, from:

2xAC/5
2xMG
1xLL
2xML

To:
1xAC/2
1xGauss
2xMG
2xML

I liken it to a long distance boxer, constantly jabbing with the left (AC/2), ready to unleash the right hook (Gauss) as soon as some poor fool sits still for just a second too long. ;)

#100 ArmageddonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 710 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

Personaly i dont like the cheese that is DualAc20, i know how good they r (even more so with a skilled pilot), and i refuse to use them, same as when LRM's were OP , i never touched them, i avoid using broken stuff in games, tis why i also dont pilot light mechs atm.

And since AC'2s generate to much heat, ur bassicaly left with setups that u can fit on a Phract.

Granted the Jager has higher mounting points, but still ..same kinda setups, so if u own a 4x phract its not gunna feel very new.

That said....a fun , though not efficient, setup is 5xAC2's on a Macro fire rotation. Dakka Dakka Dakka :angry:
Again its not efficent, nor a setup u would want if ur in battle for performance, though tbh, on a unbalanced Beta, i dont think any1 should be thinking about using setups that r super effcient and deadly..the game is currently more for fun and testing atm than for a truely competative game.

:D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users