120 replies to this topic

#61 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:57 AM

So far, the A is the hardest one for me to figure out. It was cool when LRMs worked, but now I can't find a groove with it. I like the S and DD versions much better. I'll probably end up selling the A.

#62 Aylek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 292 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

I sold the DD for being the least flexible one out of the three. 5+ Ac2 builds are very funny, but not practical in the long run. When going for a more realistic build, the S variant does everything a DD can do.

The A on the other hand is the most flexible heavy chassis the game has to offer at the moment. If you don't swear by symmetrical builds, give this build a try.

These are the builds I already did with the A, and all of them are pretty viable:

- Missileboat with 4x LRM15 + 2 ML (ML + TAG)
- Brawler including AC20 + SRMs and Lasers
- Midrange firesupport with ACs of varying size
- Gausscarrier with SRMs as backup and for light / medhunting

So when owning all 3 variants and you want to free up a mech bay don't ask which variant is the most difficult one for you to build well, but instead ask yourself which of the variants offers the least flexibility over the other two.

Edited by Aylek, 31 March 2013 - 08:31 AM.

#63 exassin

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

I have the S variant and for the first time puging in it it seems to not worth the bills but then I came to love it.

Alternating builds between matches and I came up with these few :

- STD 260 , 10 DHS
- ES
- 1 GR , 6 tonnes ammo ( if not mistaken)
- 2 ML

- XL 300 , 10 DHS
- ES
- 2 UAC 5 , 8 tonnes ammo
- 2 ML

- XL 300 , 10 DHS
- ES
- 2 GR , 4 tonnes ammo
- 2 ML

All builds have armor value of minimum 320 and above.

Had not tried the AC 40 build yet but seems fun.

#64 EmperorMyrf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 740 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

^ To contribute to the asymmetrical theme, these are the two Jagers I run with currently:

JM6-A
JM6-S

I'm all about builds with mixed ranges, and these two are excellent at them.
Also I'm in agreement with the OP that this is the best looking mech in the game by far

#65 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

View PostEmperorMyrf, on 31 March 2013 - 09:37 AM, said:

^ To contribute to the asymmetrical theme, these are the two Jagers I run with currently:

JM6-A
JM6-S

I'm all about builds with mixed ranges, and these two are excellent at them.
Also I'm in agreement with the OP that this is the best looking mech in the game by far

IMHO asymmetry is the only way to make use of the DD's 3 ballistic slots per arm. If you look at it as 3 slots per arm rather than as 6 slots total you van come up with some interesting builds. Like 3 AC2s along side a gauss, or something.

#66 EmperorMyrf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 740 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

View PostRaso, on 31 March 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

IMHO asymmetry is the only way to make use of the DD's 3 ballistic slots per arm. If you look at it as 3 slots per arm rather than as 6 slots total you van come up with some interesting builds. Like 3 AC2s along side a gauss, or something.

Agreed. 6x AC/2 builds aren't exactly viable, but 3x AC/2 + a big ballistic certainly is. Once I can afford one, I'm looking forward to a DD with a 3x AC/2 + AC/20 build.

#67 Aylek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 292 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

View PostEmperorMyrf, on 31 March 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

Agreed. 6x AC/2 builds aren't exactly viable, but 3x AC/2 + a big ballistic certainly is. Once I can afford one, I'm looking forward to a DD with a 3x AC/2 + AC/20 build.

When choosing the AC20 you already accepted to spent quite some time infight. Otherwise dedicating 16+ tons (weapon + ammunition) to a weapon best used up to 300m would be foolish. Additionally, when being infight, the AC2 looses charm quickly in comparison to other weapons, as it's main benefit is long range suppression.

To stay in the theme of mid- and long-range firesupport a Gauss would be more appropriate in my eyes. But again - wouldn't it be better - in a sense of more balanced - to go 2x AC2 + Gauss + backup lasers? This could be done with the S as well. Not to polarize, but I want to iterate my point that the DD is the least flexible variant when comparing A, S and DD and choosing which one to sell. Don't get me wrong, I love me some mean DAKA, it's just ment to be food for thought.

Edited by Aylek, 31 March 2013 - 10:38 PM.

#68 The Captain

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:42 AM

I did a lot of experimenting before I found the jager builds that worked for me (using the engines I stole from other mechs without having to swap).

JM6-DD: 2x gauss(5t), 2x ML, 368 armor, xl 260, endo, 10dhs (or 4xAC2 + 6DHS)
JM6-A: 2x AC10(5t), 4x SSRM(1t), 2xML, XL245, endo, 368 armor, 10DHS
JM6-S: 4xAC5(6t), 2x ML, XL255, 10DHS, endo, 288 armor

Of all of these I enjoy the 4xAC5 JM6-S the best (and moreso than on my 4x). With the alpha of an ac/20, the comfortable shoulder mounting, and the perfectly timed chain fire, I tend to do a lot of damage and get a fair number of headshots. Two or three salvos of ac/5's near the cockpit usually gets a headshot kill or cores a torso. While I enjoy the dakka of the quad AC/2's, the AC/5's are essentially heat neutral, letting you pump out just under 12 DPS until your opponent melts. I also seem to have slightly better luck aiming the ac/5 shots at close range between cooldowns.

Meanwhile, the 2xAC10 JM6-A was really surprising and fairly successful. The ac/10's put out a decent amount of damage, and the 4 streaks scare away most lights. Originally I switched to the AC/10's because I was having heat problems with the combination of streaks and AC/2's or UAC5's. A reliable performer overall for me.

I like the DD as I can swap out the 2x gauss for the 4xAC2's and 6 extra DHS fairly easily depending on what I'm in the mood for, and dual gauss and quad ac/2 are solid loadouts.

Overall, I didn't have much luck with mixed caliber ballistic builds, too-many-ballistics builds, AC/20's or LBX 10's. I will say that 3xAC/2 2xUAC/5 is enjoyable if you're okay skimping on armor, engine and ammo...

Edited by The Captain, 01 April 2013 - 12:44 AM.

#69 charov

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationLondon - UK

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:05 AM

Here is the video I mentioned here.
Spoiler

Played with standard engine only, I still think that are superior to XL-based builds (more details in video's description). C&C welcomed :)

#70 EmperorMyrf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 740 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

View PostAylek, on 31 March 2013 - 10:37 PM, said:

When choosing the AC20 you already accepted to spent quite some time infight. Otherwise dedicating 16+ tons (weapon + ammunition) to a weapon best used up to 300m would be foolish. Additionally, when being infight, the AC2 looses charm quickly in comparison to other weapons, as it's main benefit is long range suppression.

To stay in the theme of mid- and long-range firesupport a Gauss would be more appropriate in my eyes. But again - wouldn't it be better - in a sense of more balanced - to go 2x AC2 + Gauss + backup lasers? This could be done with the S as well. Not to polarize, but I want to iterate my point that the DD is the least flexible variant when comparing A, S and DD and choosing which one to sell. Don't get me wrong, I love me some mean DAKA, it's just ment to be food for thought.

The idea behind the build was to use the AC/2 on the approach, then finish strong with the AC/20. No idea if it'll work good, and it'll likely be too hot anyways. And yea the DD I feel like I have trouble thinking up ways to fill out those 6 ballistic slots without resorting to 6MGs

#71 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

View Postred devil2, on 01 April 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

Here is the video I mentioned here.
Spoiler

Played with standard engine only, I still think that are superior to XL-based builds (more details in video's description). C&C welcomed :D

My lasers are almost always the first things to go on my Jager. I'll never use an XL in one unless I commit to a dedicated long range role.

#72 Shuyen

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

I am on my phone, so forgive me my typos and inability to quote or do pretty text formatting. :)

To the person I made LOL with my JM6-A build: I am happy to have provided entertainment so someone on for forum with a build that peppers my enemies backsides with mech sized shotgun pellets and SSRM's!

The the person who can't find a groove with an A model: Don't give up!! That thing is super flexible. Play with the loadout until you find one that fits your style of play and personality. What my build says about me should probably frighten me. I choose to ignore this.

To all y'all: I just ground out enough bills for an S model! 4xAC/2 dakakakakakaka is coming soon to a map near you! And then I will get real and find a useful build spec for it. Hah!

#73 Shuyen

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

OK, so...after a few rounds with the new to me JM6-S:

Stock it's a heat monger with paper thin armor. We all know this. I didn't even bother playing it. I had some AC/2's in the armory from other experiments (a TBT with a pair of AC/2's, hah!), so I immediately slapped together a 4xAC/2 (5t ammo), 2 ML, a couple extra HS loadout. It was...OK. I then tried a variety of 2xAC/2 + 1 UAC/5, AC/5 + AC/10, AC/This +AC/That combos. :(

While still with a completely stock unit (standard armor, standard frame, standard HS), my current grind away at it build is:

Stock HS, Armor and Frame
A couple of extra tons of armor
A few (2-3) extra HS

Arms:
2xAC/2 (4t ammo)
2xMG (1t ammo)

Torso:
2xS. Pulse Laser
2xS. Laser

It isn't a killing build. More of a "keep them under cover from far away, punish/distract them if they are dumb enough to stop in the open, frantically spray random laser/MG fire at lights/mediums/everything in sight when the battle gets close" build. ;)

Although I did manage to peal open and kill an Awesome from behind in about 6 seconds with this. That was fun!

I will get another 3 tons of space to play with when I upgrade it to Endo structure, and 0.83t when the armor gets upgraded. At least 2t of that will go to armor. The other 2t I will use to muck about with the weapons/HS combinations until I find something that'll work awright.

#74 Tom Sawyer

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

I have the S and DD

I turned my double D into the twin ac20 (think HAG40 lol), 2 ML and an XL265 engine

As was pointed out earlier the XL engine can be a major weakness if you just play hammer hammer and try to run up to say an atlas. You WILL die fast. However if you play the flanking game or allow your target to come around a corner and then fire the 20's it can often wreck the other mech. Esp the lite mechs.

I had a PUG game last night in the caustic valley where everyone ran to the center and played peek a boo on the ridge. A Stalker stuck its head over and I got one of the rare head shot kills where his armor had not even been touched. At least he was cool about it and even commented nice head shot ;)

#75 Aylek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 292 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

I found a non-XL powered A-Variant which I am starting to dig.

Short overview:

JM6-A
ST250, 14 DHS, 384 armor
1x AC10 (3t)
2x ML
4x SSRM2 (3t)

Link

The AC10 is perfectly fine and is this build's bread and butter weapon. Besides it't good DPS it delivers offensive power at various range. 4 SSRM2 deliver a very tough punch and are exceptionally well at scaring away non-ECM lights which are circling you - this tactic is deadly against Jagers, as their twist is really slow. 2 ML are my go-to backup weapons and offer some additional punch as well.

I have to admit that the build looks quite unimpressive, but the increase in survivability is nice. One might argue that more weapons combined with an XL also equals improved survivability by killing faster, but from my own experience this is only true when going for dual AC20s (seeking infights) or triple UAC5s (staying apart from the main brawl).

Another nice alternative to the loadout shown above is one containing dual UAC5s while carrying less SSRMs. Dual UAC5 needs some mad discipline with the trigger finger, though.

#76 Shuyen

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:24 AM

View PostAylek, on 02 April 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

I have to admit that the build looks quite unimpressive, but the increase in survivability is nice. One might argue that more weapons combined with an XL also equals improved survivability by killing faster, but from my own experience this is only true when going for dual AC20s (seeking infights) or triple UAC5s (staying apart from the main brawl).

I have one close to that using an LBX-10, which also on paper looks pretty unimpressive. It works well for me, though. I'm not a super great player but it's fun for me, at least!

I haven't really gotten a good feel for the AC/10's. Alot of people on this thread love them, so I've tried one out on my latest S. So far me and the 10 haven't gelled yet. I'll try again this week.

View PostAylek, on 02 April 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

Another nice alternative to the loadout shown above is one containing dual UAC5s while carrying less SSRMs. Dual UAC5 needs some mad discipline with the trigger finger, though.

LOL! I have ZERO discipline with my trigger finger! Like, none! Zilch! I keep wanting to use UAC/5's but just jam the living frack out them in games. With AC's I'm like the door gunner on an army helicopter, spraying shells all over the place! ;)

Edited by Shuyen, 02 April 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#77 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:58 AM

enter random JM6 here .... http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7cdcbe9087b6a55

this Baby and ur gonna stand kneedeep in dead mechs !

i leveld all my 3 JM6 with this build. it´s so effective its the new 3l

or how did the dead guy in his Atlas say... ac/40 is racist :D

#78 Beavertron

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:54 AM

I use this

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...959494e3fef42bb

I use the 300xl (from the atlas that comes with one) on all of my heavies and I don't have the c-bills to get a smaller one!

#79 Shuyen

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

View PostBeavertron, on 03 April 2013 - 04:54 AM, said:

I use this

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...959494e3fef42bb

I use the 300xl (from the atlas that comes with one) on all of my heavies and I don't have the c-bills to get a smaller one!

Another AC/10 build? All right, all right! I'll try an AC/10 again. :(

On my current S I can ditch the two AC/2's and mount up a single AC/10 straight up. That'll give me 1x AC/10 w/4t of ammo, 2xMG, 2xSm. Pulse Lasers and 2xSm. Lasers. It'll be more of a medium/short range loadout than I am used to with the S, but I'll give it a go. :(

The challenge will be staying under cover long enough to be able to use the thing! My S is still running the stock options, no upgrades, so my armor is still pretty paper thin.

#80 Duncan Longwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 253 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

JM6-S

I have been using this build with some success. The 300XL puts it at 82.2kph after speed tweak. I have the AC2's with enough ammo to harass any targets of opportunity and I have the Mplas for any lights that want to get in my face.

I have 3 weapon groups set up; 1 is my ACs's. 2 is Mplas Alpha. 3 is Mplas on chain-fire. If I start a fight at zero heat, there isn't a CT in the game that won't get burned down before I shut-down if I'm blasting both AC's and chain-firing the Mplas.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users