Your Gaming Mouse And You - A Simple Guide For Newbies Into The World Of Gaming Mice

83 replies to this topic

#61 M A S E

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:20 AM

Logitech G300 is the best rated gaming mouse there is, hands down. I have a review on it on memoryexpress.com

#62 Just wanna play

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:54 AM

View PostMaseInYoFace, on 11 July 2013 - 04:20 AM, said:

Logitech G300 is the best rated gaming mouse there is, hands down. I have a review on it on memoryexpress.com

have you actually used it???

#63 Epic Fail

• PipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 82 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

I use the R.A.T. 7 to great effect, the precision button is a huge advantage when looking in long range zooms.

Other wise the super extreme DPI is a little useless, every twitch and the mouse is all over the place, I prefer a smoother movement over the twitch style, but that's just me!

Edited by Epic Fail, 12 July 2013 - 08:59 AM.

#64 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:56 AM

I just bought a Corsair m90.

Edited by FEK315, 28 July 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#65 Artur Valour

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 129 posts
  • LocationTexas, Holy Terra

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:21 AM

I am in the process of replacing my old reliable Logitech G5. Bought a Corsair M65 and tried it last night... at least until my hand cramped up. The targeting button (lowers DPI while zooming) is misplaced for my grip (palm grip) and the other buttons felt "off". I am returning it today, and think I am going to get a Mad Catz RAT 7. I will post my findings with that one...

#66 ArmageddonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 710 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:49 AM

Ok i went from a G5 to a RAT7 MMO myself... word of warning...u WILL need to slightly adjust ur holding style.

When i used my G5 i could very easily palm grip the mouse which allowed the mouse ot be picked up at the ends of strokes and the like.
You try doign that with the RAT 7 MMO wihtout touchign the side buttons and u will drop it.
What i have had to do is extend the back as far out as it goes, add the pinky rest and move the thumb pad to a point where i can easily place the TIP of my thumb ether before or after the Sniper button. Palm hold it and use the tip of ur thub and the side of ur wedding ring finger with a little help from ur little finger to hold onto the mouse.
Like i said its a different palm gripe style but its not a claw hold. it takes a little while to get used to but tbh, no1 looks at the RAT series mice and say " they look comfortable" :rolleyes: ..its usualy " they look cool".

EDIT: ofcourse if u dont get the MMO version u dont have alot of the thumb side buttons ot worry about so holding on to it may be alot easier as u dont need to worry about your thumb hitting all the buttons.

Edited by ArmageddonKnight, 18 September 2013 - 08:52 AM.

#67 Skexy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

As a lefty I mostly feel left out of this conversation. I use a Logitech G300 and like it a lot. It is relatively simple. i also have a left-handed Razor Deathadder that got passed over from someone who ordered it and didn't like it at work. I'm not a huge fan of it; I don't like the bulk or shape a whole lot, yet it has yet to die on me. Any other decent Lefty or ambidexterous mice out there?

-skexy

#68 1Sascha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:32 PM

Anything made by razer will fall apart in under a year. I wish I was exaggerating but I am being literal. Between me and 3 other friends, we've bought 3 mice, 1 keyboard, 2 headsets, and 3 gamepads. All lasted about 6 months before catastrophic failure.

That's all pretty much anecdotal, though. Just like this: We were using a lot of Razer mice at my old office and we used them quite extensively (we were reviewing PC games after all B) ). Never had any sort of unusual trouble with them - read: Nothing that we didn't experience with other mice either.

And again: All anecdotal, but: I've been using quite a few Razer-mice myself over the years and never ran into trouble. I currently own a Razer Taipan and I wouldn't want to part with it. It's 8000 dpi and all, but that's not the point. The point (for me) is that it's so much smoother than anything I've used before, while still very controllable.

Plus it fits *my* hand perfectly. And that, again IMO, is the most important aspect of buying a mouse: That it fits your hand and preferences. Personally, I can't stand those huge lump o' plastic, hunchback-looking mice *and* I'm a lefty. So the one thing I look for is ergonomics. A mouse that doesn't suit your grip can literally screw up your hand/arm if you keep using it for too long.

Any other decent Lefty or ambidexterous mice out there?

Been using the Taipan for about 1.5 months now, and I'm very happy with it. It's not a lefty-mouse, but truly ambidextrous. It's not the biggest of mice (which I like) and it should suit both palm- and "claw"-grip types.

The only thing I'll warn about WRT Razer is their silly, cloud based Synapse-software, which takes ages to install and, apparently, collects and forwards all sorts of information on your system. However: Once installed you can set it to offline mode and you hardly notice it. Configuring your mouse/setting up macros is very easy with this thing.

S.

Edited by 1Sascha, 18 September 2013 - 11:34 PM.

#69 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:20 AM

Ive been using the same Razer Copperhead for about 4 years now and it is still going really well (apart from the left mouse button slowly showing its age with occasional unintended doubbleclicking B) ). I guess its time for me to go out shopping to look for a new one which fits my long hands (many mice for big hands just dont cut it, as you have to differentiate between big-long , big-wide, big-chubby and just plain big hands).

The best advice is; go to a shop and into the mouse display area... take every mouse and hold it in your hand as if you would be using it on your desk. Dont limit yourself to gaming mice alone at this point as you want to find a manufacturer which makes comfortable mice. Once you have your selection of the 3-4 most comfortable mice, look for user reviews on the internet. I usually start with the worst to mediocre reviews and look at those as they are all either;

1. the user has no idea what they are doing and are expecting unrealistic results or have messed up some setup point - ignore these posts
2. The user has a genuine problem - take these into account, but also look at any replies to these reviews. They are either;
2a. {Noble MechWarriors} trying to discredit the review - ignore these posts
2b. Users posting help to fix the problem - very important, take these into account when making your selection, as user created fixes show there to be an active group of people fixing or linking to fixes fro any problems you might encounter
2c. Users posting that they also have the same problme - take these into account as they highlight problems which are prvailent.

Good and great reviews can mainly be misleading, bought or uninformative.

For your selection, you will want a mouse which is comfortable, has all the features you want and the bad reviews have not taken overhand (1-2 correct bad reviews per 100 good review is good... stay away from products with 6+ bad reviews per 100 good review)

#70 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:35 AM

I use the Logitech G700 and it is a brilliant mouse.
Logitech appear to be the only company with freewheel / ratchet switchable mouse wheels (Push a button behind the G700 wheel to enable / disable) and one of the few to have left / right tiltable wheels - this is what has kept me locked to logitech lately.

I also like the G700 because it has more buttons on top of the mouse than most others - I do not like firing weapons with thumb buttons.

Here is the setup I use:

Posted Image

One of the down sides about Logitech mice is that they do not let you bind wheel up or wheel down to anything.
I use my AHK zoom script (See sig) to map wheel up to zoom in and wheel down to zoom out, so my wheel controls all view modes (Tilt left/right for heat / night sight).
For me, middle click is not bound to anything in MWO, I use it to activate toggles such as TAG or Fire Rate Toggle (See my "Fire Control" script in sig).

Also, the coatings on this mouse are awesome. It has different coatings on different parts of the mouse - some are oleophobic (sweat repelling), some are rougher for better grip, so this mouse never gets unduly sweaty or slippery.

Finally, the button shaping is great. It is really easy to tell which button is which by feel alone. The side buttons are also sneakily laid out - see how I have "Target overlays" (Aka show names) above "Target". The Target Overlays button sticks out a bit more. It is very easy to hold that down with your thumb, and when you see something you want to target, roll your thumb down slightly to also press the "Target" button.

My only real complaint is that I would like more buttons on the right side at the top. Another one or two buttons near the RMB would be lovely, I would even be willing to lose one of the ones on the left and move it to the right.

WARNING:
The button bound to 3 in the picture above (AKA G10) has a FLAW in the G700 model.
It sticks down, and can drain the battery life. Seeing as I do not use more than 3 weapon groups (plus a toggle) much, it does not bother me too much.

Logitech will replace a G700 for a brand new G700s if you tell them you have this fault, I just need to wait until I go on holiday or something so I do not have to be without a decent mouse for a week or two.

This also may be a way to pick up a new G700s cheap. Buy any old G700 second hand, report this issue and get them to replace it.

#71 MercJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 184 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:10 AM

Good topic. I've always felt that spending a little extra to get some nice peripherals is absolutely worth it - they're how you interact with your computer, so make sure it's a good experience!

Everyone has different ideas of what that means though, so it is hard to recommend products without knowing what the end user wants and feels is important. What works great for me, others hate. I absolutely agree that one of the most important factors in choosing a mouse is comfort - make sure it fits YOU! The Func MS-3 is WONDERFUL for those that have bigger hands and prefer a palm grip, never seems to get mentioned. I personally love the shell shape of the Razer Lachesis - and some times it feels like I'm the only one. I've tried many different brands, models and types of mice to see if I could find one that is perfect for me, and I haven't found one yet that works for every situation.

I don't quite understand OP's stance on Razer products either. My first "gaming" mouse was a Razer Copperhead, and I still have it (incidentally, I still use the Razer Tarantula keyboard that I bought around the same time...works just fine). Working fine, my wife still uses it. After...5 or 6 years? For a little reference, I've personally owned over the years:
  • Copperhead
  • original Death Adder along with the newest model (2012 I think)
  • all colors of the first Lachesis (4000dpi, sold on eBay when the 5600 multi-color version was released, gave one to a friend, etc.)
  • 3.5G Lachesis (5600dpi version, color-changing), along with backups because I like the grip style
  • both generations of Imperators (traded first one, picked up the new one on sale because they fixed my major issue with the original - grippy sides instead of gloss!)
  • the (first) Mamba (5600 dpi version/blue, bought used, still works fine)
  • Orochi (I wrote one of the first reviews on Newegg for this one, still have it, works great, favorite mobile mouse for me)
  • Ouroboros
The only mice I had problems with were the 5600dpi Lachesis(es?), after about a year and a half my original one would stop displaying certain ranges of colors and would not be detected. Razer replaced that one under warranty, and I've since bought two used ones for spare parts just in case. My personal theory is they had problems regulating the different voltages needed for RGB LEDs, and it probably started to affect other things in the circuit? Either way, I'm still using my replacement... The Ouroboros was a little finicky, but I'm willing to bet that's why they are only just now available again.

That's just the Razer branded mice I've used (not including keyboards or audio...). I've also owned, used or sampled Logitech G700, G9x, G300, Roccat Kova and Pyra, Func MS-3, A4Tech V7, Corsair M60, R.A.T. M, Mionix NAOS 8200, along with probably a couple that I can't think of right now.

The point isn't to brag (spending that much money on peripherals is not a thing you should mention to most people...), but to hopefully illustrate that I wasn't willing to accept other people's opinion on certain brands or mice so I went and found out on my own - hopefully that's given me a bit more perspective than most? My experience has been that you generally get what you pay for, and if you take good care of your gear it should last quite awhile, no matter the brand. Most companies back up their products, and most of them are aware of common problems people experience with those products.

In the end, find what works for you. I think there's a lot of misinformation out there about the technical capabilities of mice (and how much they matter), so to me that's the most important thing - if your mouse feels awkward, your movement and aim will be awkward. If it fits like a glove and you aren't fighting the cursor the entire time, then your mouse just becomes an extension of your brain and you'll feel a level of precision that is almost addictive. I won't tell you what to do with your money, only you can decide that, but in my experience quality peripherals are absolutely worth it. Best part of being a PC gamer, in my opinion. If anyone has specific questions about certain mice, I'll do my best to provide my experience with them!

#72 Wolf Ender

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

MercJ,

I can echo your praise of at least one Razer product I have used, the Orochi.

It's little, but it's an excellent mouse ESPECIALLY for gamers like me WHO ARE LEFT HANDED and have practically pulled their hair out trying to find a good ambidextrous gaming mouse on the market. only problem with the orochi is short cable length.

I have 2 orochis, both of them at at least 3 or 4 years old each and both are still working and in use on a daily basis. never had a problem with either of them.

Almost all ambidextrous gaming mice I have seen are very poor quality compared to right-handed models... the orochi i found to be an exception. it's great quality and great performance.

another good mouse I have used is the ROCCAT LUA which is a small ambidextrous mouse that performs well, but i do have one big gripe about the LUA and gaming mice in general

it was way way way too lightweight. when i first tried using the Roccat LUA, i found it maddeningly annoying because the mouse was so light that it would just move by itself almost. it would throw off my aim because even the mouse cable rubbing against my desk was enough to cause slight derivations in this very smooth tracking mouse sensor

the orochi is also light, BUT with the orochi I simply loaded 2 AA batteries into it and it was nice and heavy just how I like it. with the LUA i ended up having to open up the mouse and epoxy a handful of nickels and pennies on the inside of the mouse to put some heft in it. it was not easy to find the room, but when i was done, i was very satisfied with the mouse performance.

TL;DR - for lefties the Razer Orochi is the king...Roccat Lua is a great backup choice.

Edited by Wolf Ender, 23 September 2013 - 01:29 PM.

#73 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

I got myself a R.A.T. 7 a few years ago because of its customization and I've found myself doing minor alterations on a regular basis. Sometimes I don't like the feel of the weight when I'm playing a game that relies on speed rather than precision. With the only exception being the pinkie rest, the switch normally takes less than a minute. I usually don't change DPS that much since I feel more comfortable using only one, but if needed, I have one extremely low setting, one for high DPS and one "are you out of your mind" setting for fun (looks so silly watching that solider spazz out in front of his comrades). The thumb wheel is kind of an oddball. I rarely use it myself.

#74 1Sascha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:17 PM

View PostWolf Ender, on 23 September 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

It's little, but it's an excellent mouse ESPECIALLY for gamers like me WHO ARE LEFT HANDED and have practically pulled their hair out trying to find a good ambidextrous gaming mouse on the market. only problem with the orochi is short cable length.

Again: If you're a lefty like me, give the Razer Taipan a spin at your local HW-dealer.

Posted Image

Quality/materials seem excellent, it's got a really long (and braided) cable and its middle of the road size and "non-lumpy" design should mean it'll fit just about any hand/grip. Only exception could be if you have really big hands, since it's not the largest of mice. Mine are pretty much average (I guess) and it fits almost perfectly.

Posted Image

Plus it looks pretty cool sitting on my desk with that green logo pulsating like a heartbeat.. :)

S.

Edited by 1Sascha, 23 September 2013 - 11:22 PM.

#75 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

Well, this give me some things to look at. The DPI bit is helpful, still not sure how to tell if a mouse is Claw or Palm by looking at it. Been trying to find one on Amazon for under $20.

#76 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:46 PM

View PostMerchant, on 15 May 2014 - 09:45 AM, said:

Well, this give me some things to look at. The DPI bit is helpful, still not sure how to tell if a mouse is Claw or Palm by looking at it. Been trying to find one on Amazon for under $20.

Claw mice are wider and usually don't have a thumb rest that extends inside the mouse. Palm mice are longer and often a bit larger to allow you to rest your palm comfortably on the back. if you don't know what suits you best, it might be better to pick up a cheap mouse to test how it feels (preferably, borrow a specialized mouse from a friend to see how it feels) or alternatively pick a mouse that can be customized to fit your hand better. Most mice you get when buying a new PC will be for palming, but if have the chance to test a clawing mouse, you should try it just to see how it feels.

About DPI, the higher the DPI the mouse can read, the more accurate is usually is when performing on lower ones. My RAT 7 can run at up to 5600 DPI and I'm playing at 1800. It really has some uncanny precision (after removing all the little pest such as mouse acceleration and mouse smoothing that interfere with your mouse performing at a consistent speed).

#77 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:09 AM

I used to swear by Logitech mice. I have had 2 iterations of the G500 and I loved my G9x. However, I noticed they only lasted about 6 months for me before the left mouse button would misclick on me. And I mostly played MMOs like SWTOR. And no, I didn't throw them around. I must have had bad luck or a heavy index finger. I still like Logitech, I use their G19 keyboard and I love it. Had the 1st Gen G15 before that and only upgraded because my finger oils made the paint disappear on the WSAD keys. I even use one of their headsets.

Since ditching Logitech mice, I have used an A4Tech X7 (http://www.newegg.co...=9SIA11P0C85211) and I really liked it. The colored button behind the mouse wheel was very easy to tell your DPI settings (shades of green for fast, shades of red for slow tracking). The A4Tech also had a triple click button located ont he front edge of button 1 which I expect would be good for CS or CoD, but I don't play those any more. Didn't help much in BF3.

But I already upgraded to a Coolermaster Storm Inferno and I really like this one, too (http://www.newegg.co...=9SIA3SD1DY6921). Where the A4Tech was a palm grip, the Inferno is more of a claw grip, which I prefer. I still use the A4Tech at work (using it right now). The side buttons on the Inferno are much bigger, so for my fat thumb it is easier to hit the right button. The Inferno middle/mouse wheel button is a little stiff and took a bit of getting used to for zoom, but now I really like it.

Best part: both were only $50 US.

I've looked at Razer mice, but I too was swayed by negative reviews on newegg.com about quality and build durability. I have also always wanted one of the R.A.T. mice, but waaaay beyond my budget with how I seem to destroy left click buttons.

I also prefer wired to wireless. I have a pretty large desk so the cord doesn't get in the way, and I'd never remember to charge it.

#78 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:11 AM

I've had a Razer Deathadder 3.5G (last of the Blue Lights) for about a 18 months of hard MWO usage and it has been an excellent performer. Nice long braided cord, responsive and decently sized and placed buttons, perfect shape for my grip.

Just be careful of what surface you use it on. The "Speed" side of my Mouse pad was grinding against the feet of the mouse. Simple solution was to flip the pad to "Control" and do a minor adjustment to the DPI. Now, aside from the occasional errant dog/cat hair I've had no problems with it.

As a bonus, it matches my Razer Lycosa keyboard, Nostromo keypad, and case lights ;) .

#79 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:58 AM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 17 May 2014 - 01:46 PM, said:

Claw mice are wider and usually don't have a thumb rest that extends inside the mouse. Palm mice are longer and often a bit larger to allow you to rest your palm comfortably on the back. if you don't know what suits you best, it might be better to pick up a cheap mouse to test how it feels (preferably, borrow a specialized mouse from a friend to see how it feels) or alternatively pick a mouse that can be customized to fit your hand better. Most mice you get when buying a new PC will be for palming, but if have the chance to test a clawing mouse, you should try it just to see how it feels.

About DPI, the higher the DPI the mouse can read, the more accurate is usually is when performing on lower ones. My RAT 7 can run at up to 5600 DPI and I'm playing at 1800. It really has some uncanny precision (after removing all the little pest such as mouse acceleration and mouse smoothing that interfere with your mouse performing at a consistent speed).

For some time, been using a M505 Logitech, not a gaming mouse but first wireless, cannot find its DPI for understanding. I think it is average sized compared to the usual computer user's mouse. When I use it, I feel I could use some more size within the palm and the natural resting spot of my thumb, ring and pinky fingers is actually away from the mouse.

Perhaps sometime I will get to a computer store and look at gaming mice they have to get a FtF look.

View Postdarqsyde, on 21 May 2014 - 10:11 AM, said:

Just be careful of what surface you use it on. The "Speed" side of my Mouse pad was grinding against the feet of the mouse. Simple solution was to flip the pad to "Control" and do a minor adjustment to the DPI. Now, aside from the occasional errant dog/cat hair I've had no problems with it.

Never thought to try this. Just did with one mouse pad, it does affect movement though the 'usual' side is now so slick, the pad slides around. Will break out other pads with less slick sides to see what happens.

#80 Wraith0177

• PipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 34 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:26 AM

View Postthemanwithsauce, on 29 March 2013 - 10:41 PM, said:

**If you want to recommend a razer mouse you better be prepared to back it up with external long term reviews. I absolutely loved all my products out of the box only to find the build quality lacking severely next to ALL of their major competition. The only mouse that has died on me or my friends has been razer branded. **

18 months and counting on my Razer Naga MMO.

Almost two years on my Razer Naga Epic before it was broken by a visiting nephew who was too young to realize that it wasn't a ball.

Well over 3 years and counting on my wife's 1st generation Naga after a cable swap: Pulled a PVC coated cable from a cheap Microsoft Mouse, standard connectors inside for both.

IMO, the main bad feature of Razer mouse products is their love of the cloth-braid cables that kink and bind like no tomorrow. It was the bound cable that almost killed my wife's Naga. For people with big paws, I can't say enough about the swappable side panels that are standard with the older versions of this mouse. To my knowledge, the 2014 MMO version is the first Naga to lack this.

For those that have trouble learning the side buttons, here's a hack - Use clear nail polish to put dots on the buttons so that you can distinguish them without looking. This will wear off eventually, but by then your thumb will have learned how to use it/where which buttons are. For example, I'm at a point that I can use this almost as well as the number pad on the keyboard. Later versions come with training dots (gel-stickers) that you can stick on the buttons until your thumb learns.

With Razer products, guard the cord and never, ever, for any reason coil it! Fold the cable instead, and never in the same place or pattern twice. I’m generally very easy on mice, so I can’t speak much to durability. I don’t suggest trying to use it (or any other mouse, really) as a flail or a whip. My luck has been extraordinarily good with Razer products, and I’ll continue to buy them as long as I continue to get what I have received.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users