#1 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:07 AM

Haven't touched MWO for almost a week due to the PTSD caused by mass-poptarting during the AvW weekend.

So, are there still like eight poptarting Highlanders every game right now? Are people starting to play it with brain?

Speaking of which, I find my 2xPPC+ERPPC AWS-9M stands a fair chance against poptarting thanks to its ridiculous speed and giant shield-arm. But still, it can't hold up more than two of those mustards.

I'm thinking about a possible way to make poptarting far less viable. Since jumpjets technically, in reality, will generate massive heat, what if we make jumpjetting totally lock down all the internal heatsinks, and lasts for like 3 seconds after JJ is turned off?

#2 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:12 AM

JJ generate 9% heat already thanks !!

#3 KrazedOmega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:22 AM

The poptarting might not be quite as bad as it was on the weekend but there's still too many of them for my liking. The game has turned into hiding behind a ridge and sniping anything that moves. And when you're a brawler like I am, it makes the game very boring.

They need to add a massive amount of screen shake when JJ's are in use. That would stop most of the poptarts.

#4 VonRunnegen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:53 AM

View PostLugh, on 26 April 2013 - 01:12 AM, said:

JJ generate 9% heat already thanks !!

Make that 40% and we're getting somewhere :)

#5 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:21 AM

View PostVonRunnegen, on 26 April 2013 - 04:53 AM, said:

Make that 40% and we're getting somewhere :)

and make Jump Jets terrible for use in melee battles? How about not. Jump jet shake alone is sufficient.

#6 XSerjo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:46 AM

There're 2 solutions. They have been discussing since Closed Beta:
  • weapon convergence;
  • peat penalties.
That's all.

#7 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 26 April 2013 - 05:21 AM, said:

and make Jump Jets terrible for use in melee battles? How about not. Jump jet shake alone is sufficient.

I don't think melee would in anyway generate any heat.

#8 Blue Splint

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

I actually feel like people are adapting better now though, I see teams with brawlers just rush the heat-inefficient/range-oriented poptarts and they melt like butter. Maybe poptarts seem overpowered because in most pug games, teams will sit back or hesitate to attack because they aren't coordinated, and when that happens the team with more jump snipers is usually going to win (which makes sense).

#9 Country Gravy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

Nothing needs to change . Everything is perfect.

#10 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

Helmstif,
Poptarting is fun as hell. Since we can't really engage in the manly activity of brawling these days, we may as well have some fun with three dimensions.

#11 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

View PostNRP, on 26 April 2013 - 08:18 AM, said:

Helmstif,
Poptarting is fun as hell. Since we can't really engage in the manly activity of brawling these days, we may as well have some fun with three dimensions.

Why not do both??? Pop tarting isn't just for sniping... It works well with any kind of build. Always has. A guy in my unit said the other night that he thought that spoiler on the top of the jagermech was actually a set of handlebars for an atlas. He was close but wrong. It's a set of handlebars for a highlander... Try it and see for yourself :ph34r:

#12 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

LOL!

#13 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

Poptarts are lame, nothing new.

#14 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

*shrugs* Jump snipers are just regular snipers who can't track their target due to constantly breaking LOS. They're only dangerous if you're out in the open in which case you had it coming.

Edited by TruePoindexter, 26 April 2013 - 11:17 AM.

#15 Lord Psycho

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 177 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

They need to put the original heat values back infor the large class energy weapons.....

that should do it.

#16 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

View PostLord Psycho, on 26 April 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

They need to put the original heat values back infor the large class energy weapons.....

that should do it.

Plus making jumping more unstable and aiming harder. I feel like lifting a 90t object with rockets would not be stable in any way..

View PostNRP, on 26 April 2013 - 08:18 AM, said:

Poptarting is fun as hell..

But when half of both teams are poptarts then the game is downgraded into some slow-arse pogo-jam and it's F**KIN LAME, leaving my brawler Highlanders with no purpose at all. And in case you've forgotten, I'm all about good brawls.

EDIT: for those Battletech TT veterans out there, has jump-sniping ever been an viable tactic in the TT/books?

Edited by Helmstif, 26 April 2013 - 01:05 PM.

#17 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 26 April 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

But when half of both teams are poptarts then the game is downgraded into some slow-arse pogo-jam and it's F**KIN LAME, leaving my brawler Highlanders with no purpose at all. And in case you've forgotten, I'm all about good brawls.

EDIT: for those Battletech TT veterans out there, has jump-sniping ever been an viable tactic in the TT/books?

If half of both teams are pop tarting you still have the other half to fight.

There are all kinds of horribly cheap tactics in TT that don't make it into games. Jump sniping was definitely part of TT. In fact JJ in TT are wildly more powerful than in any of the MW games. The JJ we have right now are puny by comparison.

#18 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

Helmstif,
Have you tried poptart brawling? Just embrace it.

And to the rest of you short-sighted fools, nerfing energy weapons via a heat cap or whatever other ridiculous ideas are rattling around in your heads is not the answer. Half of what is hitting your CT now is gauss fire anyway.

#19 Slayer11

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

This is what you get for not having Aerospace...some tool in the back poptart sniping...He would think twice about it if every time he popped up a fighter lit him up with an alpha strike.

Ah well the crybabies that didn't want real strategy or the full mech universe got what you wanted...mech quake.

#20 Just wanna play

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

Imo they don't seem that common/overused, its just a faster way to peak in and out of cover, yet somewhat less accurate, right?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users