306 replies to this topic

#181 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:41 PM

Here's the back so far.
still quite barren but i'll add all the paneling and exhausts when i'm done with all the major structural detail

Posted Image

#182 HIemfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:50 PM

View PostSentinel373, on 04 May 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:

P.S. I'm trying to figure out what the pilots point of entry is in the catapult. At first I thought the canopy flips open but there is some geometry there that would block it from doing that. Any speculation on what it is? Maybe some of the developers can comment?

Could that cap behind the cockpit be the access hatch? It would likely swing forwards, atleast taking into account the location of the rungs on the side. Though the roundish portion at the base of the rungs could also be an access point...

EDIT: um.... oops.. forgot to see howmany pages the thread had gone before replying to a post... hehe, my bad.

Edited by HIemfire, 18 August 2013 - 02:55 PM.

#183 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:02 PM

feet are almost done

Posted Image

#184 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

Alright major body work is done. I'm sending it to shimm for final proportion scaling and then I get busy with the panels and final details.

The elbow joint is the only thing that needs some extra attention because right now it doesnt really work. but i have an idea for that which i'll implement when i get the model back.

Any critique's and comments are welcome.

Posted Image

Edited by Sentinel373, 19 August 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#185 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

just confirmed my opinion (in my own mind)... it just ISN'T a Marauder.

Nice work on the render, very nice work. But that take on the Marauder does absolutely nothing for me. (Of course, I ain't printing it, so as long as you like it, it's all good)

#186 Theron Branson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:18 PM

I like it for the most part, I think you need to square off the front cockpit area a pit and add some type of laser finder (like from an Apache or the top of an M1A2 tank) and don't forget the med lasers in the side torso's.

#187 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:24 PM

View PostTheron Branson, on 19 August 2013 - 06:18 PM, said:

I like it for the most part, I think you need to square off the front cockpit area a pit and add some type of laser finder (like from an Apache or the top of an M1A2 tank) and don't forget the med lasers in the side torso's.

um.

Point of interest? The Marauder doesn't HAVE Medium Lasers in the side torsos. Has them in the arms, below the PPCs though.

#188 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:46 PM

View PostTheron Branson, on 19 August 2013 - 06:18 PM, said:

While your your additions might look cool, the purpose of this project is to make an accurate recreation in 3d of the original source art by shimmering sword. It is an excercise to find out how long it takes me to take a mech from scratch to completely print viable.

#189 Dagger6T6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,362 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationcockpit

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

I never realized that Shimmering Sword's Marauder had the ac cannon on top offset to one side... I just thought it was in the center.

I never realized that Shimmering Sword's Marauder had the ac cannon on top offset to one side... I just thought it was in the center.

#190 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:39 PM

Shim has had his way with the marauder today during his semi daily livestream and finished tweaking the proportions and shapes.
and I've started on panels most of the work centered around the shoulder pods and the back.

and here's the result so far.
Posted Image

Posted Image

i suspect it'll be a few more days before i can send it off to be printed.
enjoy and as always any critique's and comments are most appreciated

#191 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

Almost there :)

Posted Image

#192 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

When I think Marauder, this is what I think of. Dream of. Fap to.

Spoiler

#193 Peace Possum

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 56 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC, USA, Terra

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

Have you got a rough estimate of what that Catapult will cost you to build(the big 1/60 one)? I'd be super interested a casted one after you finish it(under the rules laid out about non profit, but you know...)
Also, have you considered setting up a blog of all this stuff? Some other mech builders have done the same and they're really convenient venue for progress reports.

#194 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

right now for the 1/60 catapult i'm guessing its going to be roughly 500 euro's to print. since both legs (which are finished) cost me 170 euro's to print and i have yet to start on the rest. at this point i'm unsure if i'm going to finish it.

as for a blog. i might start one later when i have the time. but right now i think forums are an easier way to go.

#195 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

Here we go a nice side view. no major changes today since I've mostly been doing clean up and making sure the panels and details are not smaller than the minimum print resolution.

Posted Image

#196 Risko Vinsheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 573 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

Sentinel you're doing amazing work here. (If I believed in that sort of thing I'd tell you you were doing god's work. B) )

I would love to get one of those (or more than one...) on my tabletop.

#197 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:27 PM

Alright it's as good as done, i'm going to send it to Anthony for final checks and when he gives the green light I'll send it off to be printed. That will take a week before it gets to me so i'll take a break for a week to do some other stuff.

Now time for an image extravaganza:

Front:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Top (the angle you'll be seeing it from the most)
Posted Image

Back:
Posted Image

There are still some gaps in the armor on the back which i'm filling in right now but this is pretty much final.

Last chance to give critique's so make em good. And don't be afraid to rip it to pieces I want any feedback you're willing to give.

#198 DirePhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

View PostSentinel373, on 25 August 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

Last chance to give critique's so make em good. And don't be afraid to rip it to pieces I want any feedback you're willing to give.

Outstanding effort! I'm not a huge fan of SS's cockpit design for this 'mech, but you've done an absolutely outstanding translation of his work and it's been a joy to see it come to life in a 3D rendering. You should be very proud!

#199 kiriage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 119 posts
  • LocationCairns, Australia

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:03 PM

I like the level of detail you've captured on this model, not too much not too little..it's something I'm struggling with to get right..great job! At some point it would be great to get your thoughts on translating a mesh to print process. But yeah, I like it a lot.

#200 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

Quickie before bed.

I quickly rigged up the model and made a little tribute to the source art:

Enjoy

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users