Sentinel's 3D Printed Mech Toys

306 replies to this topic

#281 spacekeeper

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:42 AM

It's frustrating as all hell, seeing as how the MWO art/design is so amazing. The classic art has its charms, but for the most part it's hilariously dated. I don't play TT, but the examples of TT miniatures I've seen are abysmal compared to this.

I enjoyed the hell out of this thread and your (incredible) engineering of the prints. Thanks for sharing it with us.

#282 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

View PostSentinel373, on 03 November 2013 - 03:56 AM, said:

it has nothing to do with shim himself, he's been great through this whole ordeal and it's definitely not his fault. And the debacle didn't happen publicly on this forum. like i said i can't go into detail.

Oh no... :P

#283 ssm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:26 AM

View PostVariadic, on 27 December 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

It's frustrating as all hell, seeing as how the MWO art/design is so amazing. The classic art has its charms, but for the most part it's hilariously dated. I don't play TT, but the examples of TT miniatures I've seen are abysmal compared to this.

I enjoyed the hell out of this thread and your (incredible) engineering of the prints. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Abysmal doesn't even cut it close. It's horrible to the point of consistently scaring off potential new TT players.

What looked cool and jazzy in early 80s is simply too bad now - esp. when nowadays 15$ board games have better design and artwork than most of early (and otherwise very good) TROs.

#284 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:37 PM

Wow you guys keep coming back to this thread, while I'm done with MWO mini's and such I am however cautiously coming back doing at the very least battletech/mechwarrior fanart. I am however sticking to custom/fan designs for the time being. I have no intention calling the hammer back down. Also there will be no 3d printing of anything related to battletech/mechwarrior by me anymore.

Right now I'm venturing into the realm of fan video's. Sadly the only battletech "high production value" video's out there right now are the mechwarrior and mechcommander intro's and mechwarrior age of destruction. and those are several years (or a decade) old. so i'm gonna try my hand at making something cool.

For my first trick the ShimRauder's (thats shimmering sword marauder for those interested) cockpit + opening and closing canopy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And the first walkcycle animation test.

the marauder will be fighting another mech in a city scape, right now i'm leaning towards a cicada as its opponent but i don't know yet.

the marauder will be part of a mercenary unit of my own design, (called the Night Watch) this is to give me maximum creative freedom without having to do too much research so I don't encroach on pre existing lore. it is set just at the beginning of the clan invasion. for the moment the callsign of the marauder's pilot will be Psycho, she's female and always has a rapier with her, (you can see the sword in the storage webbing on the right side of the chair)

The final video will be made in source film maker because cryengine is horrible to work with and rendering it with proper film rendering engines takes ages and I work in video game's so real time render engines are my forté

I'll be making a separate thread about this video soon once i decide on a name. and have some more progress to show you guys.

Edited by Sentinel373, 28 December 2013 - 04:43 PM.

#285 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

Sent, just want you know that I think very highly of you as a fellow fan.*

*I mean, you may be a complete ******* IRL or we may just be so radically different that we would instantly hate the sight of each other or quickly devolve into a shouting match over ethics and politics and some such but as far as us both being Battletech fans you totally rock man.

I like ponies too. lol

#286 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:24 PM

View Postjuxstapo, on 28 December 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

Sent, just want you know that I think very highly of you as a fellow fan.*

*I mean, you may be a complete ******* IRL or we may just be so radically different that we would instantly hate the sight of each other or quickly devolve into a shouting match over ethics and politics and some such but as far as us both being Battletech fans you totally rock man.

I like ponies too. lol

you were one of the guys on 4chan yesterday? ;)

#287 1stBEAST

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:49 AM

fight against a cicada, huh? so you have to take garth´s cicada for that. please do it :-D
name for the vid "why pgi didnt want a marauder ingame"(just kidding about the name of the vid, but it have to be garth´s cicada! :-P)

#288 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:46 PM

Hi guy's I recently posted what happaned and why I stopped with the 3d printing of MWO figures in lost one's thread and i figured i'd copy paste it here.

View PostSentinel373, on 02 January 2014 - 11:16 AM, said:

I did not get in trouble because of the MWO models.

I was asked to stop the limited run of the shimmering sword Marauder I made. I figured i'd do a few copies of it since it is quite a popular design. and then I had nearly 150 pre-orders in less than a week. Since i'm now working with CGL this did not sit right with them especially since they had already announced a new marauder miniature based on shimmering sword and Matt Plogg's marauder that's on the cover of XTRO succession wars (the miniature is scheduled for release next week)

Myself and the guy who was going to do the resin casting of the figures had already sunk some money into the project and then we ended up being asked to stop halfway (note it technically was not a C&D but considering I was already working with CGL it might as well have been) anyway this was a big blow to my ego and i just didn't feel like doing anymore battletech stuff for a while. there you have it. note all of this happened on the lords of the battlefield forum.
we did made a few for ourselves however this is the result: http://i15.photobuck...zps6e133b52.jpg

on another note I've started a new thread over in the fan video forums for my upcomming animation project. The working title is Mechwarrior: a Blood moon rises It'll be a 2 to 3 minute short. for all the details please feel free to check out this thread.

http://mwomercs.com/...ood-moon-rises/

Edited by Sentinel373, 03 January 2014 - 04:46 PM.

#289 Teliri

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

So sad about figure sales...

and if they just give?
Whoever wants to get a figure as a gift will let the donation to pay for materials for the production of figure he wants, donation in the amount of ... and who, except for the manufacturer, knows how many cost materials for the production of this figure? :P

and possibly a donation will not for create figure, maybe it's for something else? let it be a holiday gift:) I do not know how in other countries but in Russia we have little holidays almost every day for example a Day of Driver or a Day of Сarpenter, I'll be happy to get a gift box with mech figure which I long dreamed of, but I do not always know what to give in return, so that I could just give the money

so that all of these licensing agreements and intellectual property rights will say about this?

and another question for those who are playing in tabletop battletech game, among you someone uses vehicles (tanks, VTOL's, cars) in the game? or only used mechs?

#290 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

Just want to say that after browsing through this topic, and seeing all of the amazing work, and all of the {Scrap} you received for it...

Glad you're sticking around and still producing BT art. It's always a shame when legal {Scrap} by people that don't really care (except for the money) step in and ruin a good thing.

#291 Mech42Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 917 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

About how the pilot gets into the cockpit of the catapult:
In mechassault 2,the pilot would get in the mech by use of a ladder, that lead to a hatch on the top of the cockpit.
(To all battletech fans i'm sorry i mentioned mechassualt)

#292 Grumm Esverian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 210 posts
  • LocationElizabethtown, kentucky

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

Sorry to hear that you've lost interest in BT because of, well, whatever it was that went on. The models were amazing, and I would have sunk a tidy bit of cash in them if anything with PGI/Catalyst/IWM,etc could have been worked out. Hopefully you don't give up entirely on designing models for other things though, that stuff is just too good.

#293 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

View PostSentinel373, on 28 December 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

Wow you guys keep coming back to this thread, while I'm done with MWO mini's and such I am however cautiously coming back doing at the very least battletech/mechwarrior fanart. I am however sticking to custom/fan designs for the time being. I have no intention calling the hammer back down. Also there will be no 3d printing of anything related to battletech/mechwarrior by me anymore.

Right now I'm venturing into the realm of fan video's. Sadly the only battletech "high production value" video's out there right now are the mechwarrior and mechcommander intro's and mechwarrior age of destruction. and those are several years (or a decade) old. so i'm gonna try my hand at making something cool.

For my first trick the ShimRauder's (thats shimmering sword marauder for those interested) cockpit + opening and closing canopy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And the first walkcycle animation test.

the marauder will be fighting another mech in a city scape, right now i'm leaning towards a cicada as its opponent but i don't know yet.

the marauder will be part of a mercenary unit of my own design, (called the Night Watch) this is to give me maximum creative freedom without having to do too much research so I don't encroach on pre existing lore. it is set just at the beginning of the clan invasion. for the moment the callsign of the marauder's pilot will be Psycho, she's female and always has a rapier with her, (you can see the sword in the storage webbing on the right side of the chair)

The final video will be made in source film maker because cryengine is horrible to work with and rendering it with proper film rendering engines takes ages and I work in video game's so real time render engines are my forté

I'll be making a separate thread about this video soon once i decide on a name. and have some more progress to show you guys.

That Marauder is the best ever.

#294 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

View PostGrumm Esverian, on 03 February 2014 - 09:44 PM, said:

Sorry to hear that you've lost interest in BT because of, well, whatever it was that went on. The models were amazing, and I would have sunk a tidy bit of cash in them if anything with PGI/Catalyst/IWM,etc could have been worked out. Hopefully you don't give up entirely on designing models for other things though, that stuff is just too good.

oh dont worry i'm just done with miniatures and all the BS surrounding them. right now i'm working on a 5 minute short film using my models. you can follow its progress here in the fan video/audio part of the forums

http://mwomercs.com/...ood-moon-rises/

Its gonna be a while before its done though so don;t hold your breath just yet :)

#295 Dezmo

Rookie

• The Icon
  • The Icon
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:57 PM

If a handful of those printed minis somehow got lost and showed up on my doorstep, and a sum of money somehow arrived in your PayPal account, that would be unfortunate. ;P

#296 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:59 PM

View PostDezmo, on 02 December 2014 - 04:57 PM, said:

If a handful of those printed minis somehow got lost and showed up on my doorstep, and a sum of money somehow arrived in your PayPal account, that would be unfortunate. ;P

And i'd be in trouble since I now work for Ironwind metals as a freelancer :)

#297 Riff Zifnab

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:34 PM

Sentinel this is fantastic work. I found this thread looking for 3d minis from the MWO designs which are so much better than the old ones (IMO). I really wish IronWind would start producing the MWO designs as minis. Thanks to MWO my target recognition is so much better for their designs. (:

My brother and I made and printed a Madcat last year on our new Makerbot2 so I have an idea of how difficult this is. The resolution isn't anywhere as good as the stuff you made, maybe we should just send stuff off to shapeways. Sorry you got burned on the minis. \:

Can you talk about your freelance work at IronWind? The Carronade CRN-7M looks nice and modern, your handy work?
http://ironwindmetal...roducts_id=9052

#298 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:37 PM

So far i've worked on the Ares Superheavy

Posted Image
The one in the middle.

I've also worked on the Vulture MK3 which is coming out soon.

And I've been assigned the Stalker II and a few others which will be revealed sometime in the next few months i would imagine.

The cannonade was made by Stephen Huda but like mine it was also 3d printed.

#299 Grimolfr

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 48 posts
  • LocationTerran Republic

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:14 AM

It's been quite fun watching this journey of yours all in all. Keep up the good work ;)

#300 Iacov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 668 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:29 PM

View PostSentinel373, on 19 January 2015 - 01:37 PM, said:

I've also worked on the Vulture MK3 which is coming out soon.

:o

can we see a preview?
i love the vulture!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users