- - - - -

Ui 2.0 - Feedback

1095 replies to this topic

#61 Capt Cole 117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationSeattle Aerospace Defense Command, Terra

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

I'd like the mech selection and inventory sections to be full screen.

Unowned mechs shouldn't clutter the pilot lab.

I don't need a graph to tell me that laser damage drops off beyond maximum range, waste of space.

Remove the restrictions section of the weapon info, add red color coding to the inventory to show what can't be added. Add small text like "too heavy" or "not enouph crit space" instead.

Add a 'movement stats' button to each mech that shows torso twist and arm movment like mechromancer does https://dl.dropboxus...r%20example.bmp

Why not just copy the layout from smurfy and add a few transitions? That would be a great way to overhaul the loadout tab.

#62 Sephanor

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

Looks like a nice improvement over what we currently have, one thing I would love would be a mouse sensitivity slider in the settings menu.

#63 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

awesome job

#64 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

I don't like the fact I cant see the hard numbers on weapon stats that there being compared to.

#65 Alpha087

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raptor
  • The Raptor
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

Overall I like it, though I do have a couple quirks.

-Don't make the keys for bringing up the social menu Shift+Tab specifically, or allow players to reconfigure the keys... For those of us who do use Steam with this game.
-Allow us to keep the ability to click on a component of the mech to modify it. Example: In the current mech lab, you can click on the mini picture of the arm of the mech you're looking at, and it will automatically bring up the arm you just clicked.
-Let us retain the ability to look at our mech while it's sitting in the hanger as we can do now! I know it's really not much, but that tiny bit of immersion goes a long way while we're waiting on full content such as CW.

#66 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:51 PM

Well,it'd be much welcomed if you can add some video so we could see the UI in action.So far I have impression it is overloaded with informations and data.

As a desktop GUI applications programmer I have a note about ergonomic of choosing a mech - now (as I understood) first I need to chose at (3) what type of mech I want to play,then move mouse cursor whole screen's width to the right and choose one from the list (8).If I'd change my mind and want to play an assault I'm forced to move faaar to the left,set assault,go back loong way to the right and finally set a mech.
Well guys,that's not a good idea.
I propose to either move the list (3) to the left of (8) - this will make quick setup pattern without moving mouse here and there horizontally over screen.To say in short,this vertical navigation should be moved to the right http://i.imgur.com/ndRF6TN.jpg

Hmm,I see same issue for the comparator tool as well...and color/camo set window too.

Weapon details window - some thicker,more visible border would be nice.For the equipment window too.Well,that's related to all windows as I can see.

Equipment (endo-steel etc) choosing window - don't forget to support adding stuff both by drag'n'drop and double click on the list (8).

Weapon goups set window - looks very nice.The only what would be nice is to mark which weapons are in left and which ones in right arm.

Mech Skills window - this one does not suffer from the mentioned lack of ergonomy.Looks nice,the only change I'd propose to eigher not to draw non-owned variants or draw them in grayscale.

About setting armor value - please see this online mechlab as a shinning example.Open this and click on any armor number then watch the dialog window and make the same.

I hope this feedback is constructive enough and you'll pay attention to it,for both yours the devs and ours,players gain.

EDIT:
Niko Snow or other staff - please tell me via PM if it'd be possible to send me .swf files for the prototypes of the UI2.0 for thorough functionality check.I have ~3 years as GUI applications developer,I could help you much better if I'd have access to some at least partially working GUI rather that just few static screenshots.

Kind regards,
MasterBLB

Edited by MasterBLB, 08 May 2013 - 03:07 PM.

#67 Psikez

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

View PostCapt Cole 117, on 08 May 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

I don't need a graph to tell me that laser damage drops off beyond maximum range, waste of space.

You don't but I'm sure a lot of people just picking up the game would very much appreciate it

#68 Sugomi

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

Nothing to do with what we can see now, but when manipulating the mech (say, while painting it) it would be nice if it had a sense of weight/real interaction with it's environment. Currently, spinning the mech around feels very artificial.

#69 Capt Cole 117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

View PostPsikez, on 08 May 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

You don't but I'm sure a lot of people just picking up the game would very much appreciate it

Or you could mention it in the tutorial , the mechlab isn't the place to explain basic game mechanics.

Edited by Capt Cole 117, 08 May 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#70 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

View PostThontor, on 08 May 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

Not sure what you mean. I see hard weapon stat numbers on the screenshot comparing weapons. Remember its all placeholder though. Mockups

Posted Image

Theres no numbers for the LPL, its showing the numbers for the large laser on the LPL but showing a stat improvement assumedly in green.

#71 Capt Cole 117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

View PostSkadi, on 08 May 2013 - 03:02 PM, said:

Theres no numbers for the LPL, its showing the numbers for the large laser on the LPL but showing a stat improvement assumedly in green.

They just copypasted the LL numbers to save time.

#72 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

View PostSkadi, on 08 May 2013 - 03:02 PM, said:

I think they've just cloned the image for the purposes of the mock-up, same way the Atlas has five arms and 68 armour in the head.

#73 BladeXXL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

Looks very colorfull... in some cases similar to PlanetSide 2.

For me it seems more confusing then the current UI... maybe I'm wrong - the future will show ^^

!!!-> still missing the links/showups to owned/equipped weapons. I mean: if I select a LL or a engine I wanna see the list of owned mechs equipping this item. <- very important! :-)

Edited by BladeXXL, 08 May 2013 - 03:10 PM.

#74 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

View PostCapt Cole 117, on 08 May 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

Pay an attention the space here would be unused anyway,so the graph does not make any harm.
Of course,if you can propose some alternative,more useful data what could be displayed here instead don't hesitate to share the idea with developers and community.

#75 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

Very happy with the way it looks so far, especially the compare features.

#76 Pinselborste

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

looks good, but what does the STD Laser on the atlas mean thats mounted next to the Medium laser?

#77 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

My gripe with it as being a graphic and motion designer myself is that it's not as clean looking as the old UI,
I think you should bring back the orange frame, because it feels like it's holding everything together and now - especially in the screenshot which resembles smurfy-net all the small windows are kinda floating in the air, everything actually is.

This makes it much harder for the eye to focus on things, because it needs this borders and frames.

I would strongly advise to bring back the "frame" in some way. The transparent darkgrey one is not enough.
Also it looks like this is the 1280*720 version because everything is kinda cramped together.

I hope the 1080p leaves more room and doesn't just blow up the picture, because this would be soo 2006. It makes it look totally cheap. No one needs such big fonts.
This is bothering me with the end match screen, too. I got a 1920*1200 monitor and it's just huuge and blown-up.

What I do like is being able to compare weapons of course and get more info about them.

But you really need to work on it not being so cluttered.
I'm only talking about the visual side of things here, not the informational.
But if you look at it, do you really like it? It's full of small windows and text, all over the screen.
You feel overwhelmed.

Edited by TexAss, 08 May 2013 - 04:08 PM.

#78 Alekzander Smirnoff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 427 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:23 PM

All I have to say is:

Posted Image

Can't wait to give it a test drive.

And thank god for 1920x1200, 1080p can stay on my tv because my computer likes 16:10.

Edited by Alekzander Smirnoff, 08 May 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#79 SynSyx

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

my OCD is really happy that you can filter your mechs - previously I had to have mine all in order of type (ie, all catapults together, all atlas' together, etc)

#80 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:32 PM

Three words:

About ****ing time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users