Ui 2.0 - Feedback

1095 replies to this topic

#101 Uncle Ted

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

View PostJackson Jax Teller, on 08 May 2013 - 04:45 PM, said:

Shouldnt it be in the game before you start the feedback thread? As many have said "cant give good feedback till I get it in my hands"

I disagree. It's at this early stage of development that player ideas may be taken into account in the final product.

#102 Chavette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

Shouldnt it be in the game before you start the feedback thread? As many have said "cant give good feedback till I get it in my hands"

No, its very resourceful to build it to our liking in the first place, rather than going one way, and then changing half of it. Hope you're not studying for a project manager.

Edited by Chavette, 08 May 2013 - 04:48 PM.

#103 jay35

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

No way, the entire point of mockups are to help solicit feedback and guide the actual final design.

#104 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:53 PM

Positives:

I like that it's going to let you compare weapons.

I am hoping that the strip mech/loadout options do end up in.

I like mech sorting.

Negatives:

When you join into the game first thing right in the middle of everything should be a big lobby to chat with people in.

It does look a bit dated.

My Gripe:

I'm VERY disappointed this is basically not being rolled out until release. It's bothersome since the lobbies and tutorials are both rolled into it (supposedly).

I still fail to understand why everything seems to take so long. I've been under the impression you guys have been working on this for 6+ months.

#105 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:53 PM

I'm impressed. It looks a lot more professionnal than what we have currently.

That is my feedback for now.

I'm impressed. It looks a lot more professionnal than what we have currently.

That is my feedback for now.

#106 Brothergrimm

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

A big set of improvements!

I'd still like to see some evolutions, though:
  • Change the orientation of the hardpoint-type icons (lightning bolt, missile, etc) in the "mech detail view"; this should allow each of the paper-doll sections to be made slightly more narrow, buying back some needed negative space.
  • When mousing over a paper-doll mapped list section in the "mech detail view" highlight the corresponding segment of the mech in the background.
  • Subtly color code weapons to hardpoint types. Tufte would approve.
  • Pilot lab view buy-option for non-owned variants should show C-bill and MC price/option not only MC - don't get greedy.
  • Ensure shift + tab social overlay doesn't conflict with Steam overlay - plenty of people use Steam as a launcher for non-steam games.
  • Armor display in "mech detail" and "configure loadout" views doesn't seem to address front/rear armor values. Perhaps a vertical bar with height = amount of armor would save space and be more immediately obvious than just a tabbed value selector.
  • "Equipment" view isn't very visually intuitive. The two mutually-exclusive options in each category should have equal visual weight with one highlighted or shown to be selected. Toggle or binary choice is a well established visual metaphor - use it.
  • "Equipment" view re-using visual metaphor from equipment is slightly dubious: one can't buy/sell or keep stock of endo-steel or DHS upgrades.

#107 jay35

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

View Postjay35, on 08 May 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

<p class="usertext-body">

Overall, this is progress, and it's nice to see that.

Two items I'd like to see incorporated into this UI:
  • Ability to Rename a mech. Where is the Rename button, which I believe we were told would be part of UI 2.0?
  • A way to determine at a glance in the mechlab (without having to delve into the individual mech screens) whether each mech has modules equipped or not. Perhaps similar to how in the upper right of the mech thumbnail it has an icon denoting Elited and Mastered status, in the lower left they could show an icon if the mech has any Modules equipped. This would really help cut down on the module hunting that occurs when you have a ton of mechs and can't remember which one has that extra Cap module you want to move to this other mech. Whether they keep it binary (icon shows if any modules installed, does not show if no modules installed) or it actually displays a counter denoting how many modules are installed, or it displays a 1/2 where the first number is the number of module slots filled and the second number is the total module slots available, any of those would do.

To add to that: Hope there will also be a succinct display of remaining tonnage and slots on the screen where components can be drag-n-dropped onto the mech, so it's easier to tell how much remaining space/slots we're working with.

Also, the Strip functionality where the mech strips for you can be stripped of all its equipment & weapons with one click (plus confirmation) would be very handy, so glad to hear that's being planned.

Manual sort of the mechs is something else that was assumed, and glad to see Paul/Bryan note they're hoping to offer that in addition to filtering, so we can manually sort our mechs per whatever particular brand of OCD we have. ;)

#108 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 08 May 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

This is pretty important.

Either show a list of the mech's quirks, or just show the actual stats (I'd prefer the later, honestly), so we can see turning rate, acceleration, twist radius, etc on a per-variant basis.

It kind of sucks to have all these hidden tidbits about variants that make a surprising difference but are nearly impossible to know if you haven't seen the relevant patch notes.

Super stunningly useful post here! I've been playing for 3 days and didn't even know this data existed. Now I still don't know where the heck I can find it!

My extra 2 cents... why must my System run 20c hotter just cause I have the Interface client open? I mean seriously. Not like sparkly lazorz are shooting out da primarily static interface! Please test and fix over utilization of resources on the UI Client as opposed to the actual fighting client thingy.

#109 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

View PostscJazz, on 08 May 2013 - 05:03 PM, said:

Super stunningly useful post here! I've been playing for 3 days and didn't even know this data existed. Now I still don't know where the heck I can find it!

My extra 2 cents... why must my System run 20c hotter just cause I have the Interface client open? I mean seriously. Not like sparkly lazorz are shooting out da primarily static interface! Please test and fix over utilization of resources on the UI Client as opposed to the actual fighting client thingy.

Forgot about this. The Interface kicks the crap out of my laptop worse than the actual game does.

#110 BlueSanta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 373 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:16 PM

View PostSturmwind, on 08 May 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

What's that 3rd currency on the lowest screenshot? I'm curious .... something to do with the upcoming faction stuff? ;-)

That is GXP.

#111 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

With the new overhaul will the devs be developing a tuturorial or walkthrough of some sort for new players? There are A LOT of features in there!

#112 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:30 PM

View Postskullman86, on 08 May 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

- Mechs on sale etc. being placed directly above owned mechs in mechlab is clutter IMO and I would suggest leaving those on the home page with announcements or putting them at the top of the list when a user hits the buy tab.

I did not like this either. The current mechsale system is fine. I'm not at all interested in being spammed with mechs for sale etc in my view while im looking for a mech to drop in a match. I like the current system, you go to the store to see whats on and on sale should be there too, but not when your just hanging out in your own garage retrofitting your own mechs. it takes a level of comfort away.

#113 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

While I really, really like smurfy's website, I very much hope that there will be a place in UI 2.0's mechlab where we can create loadouts for mechs we don't own with gear we don't have the money for, just to see if they work.

#114 Utilyan

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:06 PM

Far as the features and the flow, Its awsome. Excellent, it looks very efficient, I want it.

As far as sexy look:

I hate it.

It looks like planetside 2, NO.....IT IS planetside 2. even the settings button whatever...although a fantasy would be both games mushed together.......... you need to mechwarriorfide it.....

There is not enough dirt, oil, and grime. In my opinion.....PUT US in the mechlab. Make the place echo like a warehouse of DEATH! We should be like behind railings and cages or going on elevators or whatever........you should make us feel tiny and mechs massive.

Its the mechlab, Its not soppose to be sexy, I like the old style more cause its closer to like a contstruction yard/garage/factory work tools....stuff.

Some of the MOST FUN in this game is MECHLAB, I think you need to sell it, Just stepping into the mechlab should be a grand experience, Just selecting a weapon and putting it on a mech ought to be the most hype building event.

Don't go for sexy look, Because Mechlab IS SEX.

Maybe you can switch to the look you got for a bar scene on the social chat level ect. Or if those things are part of a panel IN the mechlab....

But when you put us in mechlab........please take us away from our world. Put us in the mech building world. Go look at factories and construction sites for button inspirations ect. There should be big round construction site buttons. When you hit launch......it ought to look like a Launch button....... Some siren and like police lights should go off. Think of an elevator's emergency stop button.

OIL, dirt, grime.....A player should want to wash thier hands after messing with mechlab.

Players should order weapons and parts then have to wait real time weeks just to get a weapon.(jk) ;)

Edited by Prosperity Park, 08 May 2013 - 06:07 PM.
fixed formatting

#115 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

I would like to see it a little.. grittier with fewer clean, sharp lines around every dialogue box, ya know... maybe round off more edges, use some more Tactile-looking Buttons and not so much the Holo-Buttons it looks like now.

To me, it certainly looks like an Electronic Pop-Up menu that a MechWarrior would be operating from a terminal... it doesn't make me feel like I'm a Pilot in the Mechlab, but rather standing in an observation room somewhere, punching buttons on a terminal while I issue electronic orders to those guys in the lab.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 08 May 2013 - 06:12 PM.

#116 Fireside

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:19 PM

All I ever really wanted from UI2 was to be able to move my mechs around and to see at a glance where my missing part X was. Sounds like the finding parts in the shed thing will be easier. The rest of the changes should be easy enough to get used to.. With one exception.

There is a difference between "like steam" and exactly the same as steam. Like many others I launch the game from steam so that A: friends know I'm playing MWO. And B: a handy screenshot key.

Could you please just make it a button and people can bind a key or two to it if they want?

#117 TruFyre

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:30 PM

I run ATI's eyefinity capability. I spread the game over three monitors that run a native resolution of 1680x1050 for a total resolution of 5040x1050. Currently it works quite well.

I'm concerned about the comment that the UI will run in standard resolutions. (1024x768 up through 1900x1200) Does this also apply to the game resolutions themselves? Will my ability to utilize my eyefinity capability be impaired with UI 2.0?

I ask this while knowing full-well that the game starts up with an nVidia splash screen.

#118 Straker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

I play stretched across three monitors using NVIDIA surround. I wanted to verify that larger resolutions will still work (the mech lab will just be smaller.) Is this correct? Also at times if you own a lot of mechs, finding something specific such as an engine can take a lot of time. Will this be easier with the new UI? Lastly, I was hoping that the new UI would allow for saving mech configurations for later recall. Will this ever happen?

Edited by Straker, 08 May 2013 - 07:28 PM.

#119 Jamie4red

• Pip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCanada, Ontario

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:00 PM

LOVE THIS GAME! The new UI 2.0 looks great! The only thing I would like, would be to have all the mechs I own in its own list. I don't want to have to look at mechs I don't wish to get just to look for the the ones I play with. Thanks James

#120 DrSecretStache

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 483 posts
  • LocationWherever the Cbills flow

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:01 PM

View PostBunko, on 08 May 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

Several of those Mech Lab examples though seem to have a lot going on the screen:

Posted Image

I know it isn't final but if you are going to have that much displayed you might make the game look more complex and turn away new players. Don't get me wrong, I like all info just looks like a wall of images though. Maybe make the listing table on the right smaller?

Looks much better though!

I think this can be accomplished if they darken the back, leaving only the front "left arm," "large laser," and "filter" displayes unblackened. Would clutter it less.

Also, this is just me, but I'd switch the places of the settngs and log out. I guess I'm just used to that orientation instead.

As well, using the upgrades panel (DHS, etc) as an example, it's a little unintuitive to put both the bought and the purchasable one right next to each other with three wide panels. It would be better if this panel was only two wide, had either purchased or lower tier on the left, and bought or upper tier on the right.

But these are just minor gripes. Very minor gripes. This looks fantastic. I can't wait for this to release. Now I really want to get in on the public test server ;)

Edited by Zoughtbaj, 08 May 2013 - 07:02 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users