Kong Kast Podcast

272 replies to this topic

#201 Protection

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

I've always had a respect for Kong and the unrelenting criticisms stemming from /vg/.

Question: should the role of light mechs in MWO be exclusively "the scouts," or should we be trying to find a place for light mechs to do more than just "go fast and hope not to get hit." Other than tonnage limits, what are things that could be done to bring other forms of light mech to the forefront of gameplay?

#202 Rather Dashing

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 114 posts
  • LocationLand of the Purple Freedom Bird

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:14 PM

THE LIGHT MECH SHOULD NOT BE THE FOREFRONT OF GAMEPLAY, IT SHOULD BE THE MEDIUM.

THE MORE THE GAME FOCUSES ON THE ROLE AND PURPOSE OF A MEDIUM IN THE GAME THE BETTER BALANCED IT WILL BECOME.

#203 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:22 PM

KK #11. Now with XTREME attitude and afterparties that stretch into the night.

#204 KhanHeir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:12 PM

Didn't see any up drop it for ease of access.

View PostProtection, on 18 August 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

I've always had a respect for Kong and the unrelenting criticisms stemming from /vg/.

Question: should the role of light mechs in MWO be exclusively "the scouts," or should we be trying to find a place for light mechs to do more than just "go fast and hope not to get hit." Other than tonnage limits, what are things that could be done to bring other forms of light mech to the forefront of gameplay?

Lights are the opportunist attackers, they get full control over how and when they engage as well as recon and support like spotting, uav deployment, surveillance, electronic warfare. They carry an array of light or medium weapons and if they ever carry heavy it is chassis specific such as the hollander and urban mech * good luck of that without hardpoints *. Lights can make or break traps, support mech lines * lrms, ranged directfire * enemy footing or their movements such as pincers.

Mediums are mechs specialized in boating moderate weapons or carrying a siege scale weapon and bringing it to bare at great speeds. Mediums carry heavier armor, more weapons and go at speeds just under that of a light with a mass and volume just over, mediums are a workhorse and back bone of any lance.

Sadly this is not the case with MWO.

#205 LaserAngel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 889 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:35 PM

Kong Kast #11
Show Notes:

2013/8/17
The Game Stops Here
69 Minutes

Ask the Developers #44
http://mwomercs.com/...evs-44-answers/

MechWarrior Online Developer Blog: Breaking Down the Design Pillars (Part 2)
http://mwomercs.com/...-3-role-warfare
http://mwomercs.com/...le-warfare-cont
http://mwomercs.com/...-warfare-part-i

http://mwomercs.com/...-blog-6-mechlab

Response On MechWarrior Income.
Niko Snow
http://mwomercs.com/...90#entry2655090
http://mwomercs.com/...71#entry2655571
Using this time for gathering “telemetry” for future rewards and adjustments
“As we move closer to the game’s Launch on September 17, our developers will be addressing the community in an official post on our forums with a focus on C-Bill earnings and other reward systems.”
“This also helps reduce the possibility of over-shooting our adjustments and giving away too many rewards. In such a scenario, we would have to nerf those rewards permanently and be left with much upset from any players who had grown accustomed to those greater reward levels”

Project Phoenix Loyalty Update
http://mwomercs.com/phoenix
Phoenix Colors
Phoenix Cockpit Items
Flame Pattern
“The Feel Good Bar”
http://www.ddgamezon...ageofde139.html

Kintaro Hitbox Adjustment (September 3rd)

Gamestop Grab Deal Cards
http://imgur.com/MahXL0S

Star Citizen Special Next Week (August 24th)
Hangar Module

#206 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:15 PM

Some thoughts on the podcast:

In one of the older AtDs, they pretty much said they had no real plans or ideas to add more to the cockpit screens. Then again, the Hunchback is completely lacking the basic 3 that were described (and the Hunchy has 10 screens... most mechs have 8 screens). Oh well.

Also, would it be too much to ask for having timestamps for discussion points... at least at the major topic change (especially since you will not talk exclusively about MWO)... this would help get to the relevant stuff for those of us still listening for your MWO commentary. It would be awesome if you could do that.

#207 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:37 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 18 August 2013 - 10:15 PM, said:

In one of the older AtDs, they pretty much said they had no real plans or ideas to add more to the cockpit screens. Then again, the Hunchback is completely lacking the basic 3 that were described (and the Hunchy has 10 screens... most mechs have 8 screens). Oh well.

Also, would it be too much to ask for having timestamps for discussion points... at least at the major topic change (especially since you will not talk exclusively about MWO)... this would help get to the relevant stuff for those of us still listening for your MWO commentary. It would be awesome if you could do that.

We can try to. MWO is still the main focus, and I feel we'll probably stick to the 'special' format, like we did with heavy gear, or maybe cut the episodes in half. One half for the new game, and the other for MWO.

We're always open to suggestions and feedback.

#208 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:42 AM

Found the AtD that discussed the cockpit monitors:
http://mwomercs.com/...evs-37-answers/

Accursed Richards: The cockpit monitors have been trying to Auto Detect for nearly a year now, will they ever get a result other than No Signal?
A: We have paused development on adding more info for now until a few HUD related bugs and performance issues have been fixed.

#209 LaserAngel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 889 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 18 August 2013 - 10:15 PM, said:

The Show Notes outline the discussion points. I had considered originally included Chapter Markers in an enhanced podcast but that was in *.m4a and people threw a fit over that format. I could add timestamps to the Show Notes but that's a bit of work.

We wrapped up some hanging topics this week in order to have August 24th dedicated to Star Citizen's Hangar module. I have a feeling we will be sticking to weekly episodes until the end of the month.

#210 IceGryphon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 272 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:52 PM

See this is a fairly good question. Why back in my day Scouts use to Scout....
Actually that rarely happened even in closed beta.

We have a 20ton locust coming that will be completely useless unless it has 4modules slots or more.
Because you need to combine modules to be effect as a scout.
Seismic + Drop UAV in middle of death ball.
Other modules slots will allow for combo'ing with it.

#211 IceGryphon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 272 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

View PostRather Dashing, on 18 August 2013 - 07:14 PM, said:

THE LIGHT MECH SHOULD NOT BE THE FOREFRONT OF GAMEPLAY, IT SHOULD BE THE MEDIUM.

THE MORE THE GAME FOCUSES ON THE ROLE AND PURPOSE OF A MEDIUM IN THE GAME THE BETTER BALANCED IT WILL BECOME.

Infact they previously said along the lines of: wanting the mediums to be the workhorse of the innersphere.
I can't find a single viable medium mech. Heavies, Lights, or Assaults are it.

#212 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

View PostIceGryphon, on 19 August 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

See this is a fairly good question. Why back in my day Scouts use to Scout....
Actually that rarely happened even in closed beta.

We have a 20ton locust coming that will be completely useless unless it has 4modules slots or more.
Because you need to combine modules to be effect as a scout.
Seismic + Drop UAV in middle of death ball.
Other modules slots will allow for combo'ing with it.

Back in our day, we scouted in 400 XL founder atlases.

#213 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:14 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 19 August 2013 - 07:31 PM, said:

Back in our day, we scouted in 400 XL founder atlases.

Said like a true Steiner Scout Lance commander. :)

#214 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:01 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 19 August 2013 - 10:14 PM, said:

Said like a true Steiner Scout Lance commander. :(

No joke. I closed beta, me, Ice, and a bunch of people who don't play anymore, would all saddle up in 375+ XL engine founder atlases, and fight anyone who was willing.

Now that the happening of happenings has happened, it's time to start counting up the good memories.

#215 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:26 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 20 August 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

No joke. I closed beta, me, Ice, and a bunch of people who don't play anymore, would all saddle up in 375+ XL engine founder atlases, and fight anyone who was willing.

I believe you. I'm sure it was amusing... getting the most exercise an Atlas has ever had for a long time. :(

Now that the happening of happenings has happened, it's time to start counting up the good memories.

PGI does not cease to amaze us. I swear it's too early for that, but it then again... it's never too late. :blink:

#216 StandingCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,069 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:33 PM

Kong, did you guys joke about them throwing 3PV view in with everybody? Because if you did, I blame this entire fiasco on you!

#217 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:20 AM

View PostStandingCow, on 20 August 2013 - 10:33 PM, said:

Kong, did you guys joke about them throwing 3PV view in with everybody? Because if you did, I blame this entire fiasco on you!

Kong: Joking Soothsayers of PGI's Demise

:D

#218 Big Giant Head

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Locationingalaxyfarfaraway

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:09 AM

There are lights that, due to their size or engine cap can't function well as a scout than less heavier mechs
Those type of lights serve as light support for heavier mechs. (Raven, Cicada (m),...)
So, stay with heavier mechs especially with mechs like Jagermech or Stalker - they have good punch but they lack in maneuverability, mainly to help them get rid off other lights or to jump behind heavier mechs and confuse them

Players got used to use lights just to rush in and confuse everyone or give them lag shield
But it doesnt matter if mech is medium or light or heavy or assault.
You have to take a look at mechs overall tonnage as well as armor percentage of overall tonnage, speed, engine cap, maneuverability - arm/torso speed, hardpoint placement

For example, I can strip some armor from my Stalker and put an XL engine - and make an LRM boat but with it I would have to have some protection aside.

Also, some lights and most of the mediums help heavier mechs to close in on enemy mechs
And I would agree that they need some more useful modules.
If you are can be accurate you can do amazing stuff

There are some good threads about this particular topic on MWO forums, like "raven guide" or something,...

Here is my best score on RVN 4X :
(Im using other accounts)

Posted Image

Edited by Big Giant Head, 21 August 2013 - 10:40 AM.

#219 KhanHeir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

View PostStandingCow, on 20 August 2013 - 10:33 PM, said:

That would be Kaelus

Congrats on your money back.

#220 StandingCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,069 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:35 PM

View PostKhanHeir, on 21 August 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

That would be Kaelus

Congrats on your money back.

Thanks, haven't gotten it yet though... hopefully soon.

Edited by StandingCow, 21 August 2013 - 11:36 PM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users