Incoming Hot Fix - 24/05/2013 (Updated!)

436 replies to this topic

#81 Krzysztof z Bagien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUć, Poland

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:02 AM

View PostMynder, on 24 May 2013 - 12:59 AM, said:

I'd bet you real money that in real life military targeting systems, you don't lose your target lock simply because you adjust your launcher 45 degrees to the sky to give your missile an optimal flight curve.

... and then you have to look at the target to make sure your missile goes where it should :)

#82 OpCentar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:05 AM

View PostOneEyed Jack, on 23 May 2013 - 07:43 PM, said:

Splash damage "drastically" reduced with no corresponding increase to primary damage at all?

Well, I guess I can take the AMS back off my mechs tomorrow.

^^ That's exactly what will happen.

They should have fixed the flightpath only and left the splash damage as it is now.

#83 sarkun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:06 AM

View PostKrzysztof z Bagien, on 24 May 2013 - 01:02 AM, said:

... and then you have to look at the target to make sure your missile goes where it should :)

Do not bet on that :)
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/BGM-71_TOW

#84 The Mech behind you

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationGermany, Northern Baden-Württemberg

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:06 AM

wow didn't expect a hotfix till tuesday. Thx guys, you saved my weekend <3

I'm a happy brawler again

#85 Haniwa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:13 AM

View PostKiiyor, on 23 May 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

THEN TELL ME YOUR SECRETS.

I will try any sorcery to achieve LRM immunity. The only successful tactic I have found so far is to disconnect.

The short answer: L2P
The longer answer. Use cover (theres still enough of it), mount AMS, play a fast(er) mech.

I finally could play a brawler again and people stopped using massive LRM´s anyway. It was just the flavor of the "new" weapon.

#86 Diablobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:22 AM

Ok, let me get this straight...

LRMs were doing too much damage because of splash, so they reduced the base damage. Now that they just got through upping the damage because their output was pathetic, they are going to remove the thing that was making the damage a problem in the first place. Why is the damage not being upped more? Without splash, which was problematic to begin with, LRMs will not be viable anymore. Unless splash is not as big a factor for LRM damage, removing that effect is going to require a base damage increase.

#87 CrashieJ

• 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:28 AM

View Postcodynyc, on 24 May 2013 - 01:01 AM, said:

Guys please test them before you patch....

we are the test

I really like the hotfix, a bunch of idiots are coming out of the woodworks that

A: don't know how to keep locks

B: die because they suck

C: have all lock-on weps in an ECM world

we have too many Lermers, not enough spotters

#88 FunnyBunny

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:44 AM

View Postgavilatius, on 24 May 2013 - 01:28 AM, said:

we are the test

I really like the hotfix, a bunch of idiots are coming out of the woodworks that

A: don't know how to keep locks

B: die because they suck

C: have all lock-on weps in an ECM world

we have too many Lermers, not enough spotters

View Postcodynyc, on 24 May 2013 - 01:01 AM, said:

Guys please test them before you patch....

hahah u made my day

so thats mean i can take cower again ? waoo nice and i wont get my front center torso explode regardless witch way i turning my mech at least i just rage quit yesterday with my brand new awesome LOL i got cored all the time by lrms

#89 INSEkT L0GIC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:50 AM

View PostDiablobo, on 24 May 2013 - 01:22 AM, said:

Ok, let me get this straight...

LRMs were doing too much damage because of splash, so they reduced the base damage. Now that they just got through upping the damage because their output was pathetic, they are going to remove the thing that was making the damage a problem in the first place. Why is the damage not being upped more? Without splash, which was problematic to begin with, LRMs will not be viable anymore. Unless splash is not as big a factor for LRM damage, removing that effect is going to require a base damage increase.

Um, because base LRM damage was increased 28% with the May 21 patch (from 0.7 per missile to 0.9 per missile). It was supposed to come with the splash damage reduction, but they missed the deadline to include it by 1 day due to extra testing, so they are putting it in with the firing arc hotfix.

Edited by INSEkT L0GIC, 24 May 2013 - 01:51 AM.

#90 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:00 AM

View PostHaniwa, on 24 May 2013 - 01:13 AM, said:

The short answer: L2P
The longer answer. Use cover (theres still enough of it), mount AMS, play a fast(er) mech.

I finally could play a brawler again and people stopped using massive LRM´s anyway. It was just the flavor of the "new" weapon.

I have 2 AMS's on a stalker, and have still been brutally, no lube violated behind cover. I've played fast mechs, slow ones, well armoured ones, cheese ones and haven't been able to come up with anything that can crack a 3+ LRM boat team other than luck or a lot of teamwork, which is awesomely absent in pugs.

I've also placed second in two brackets of two recent tournaments, but that just makes me sound elitist. I know how to play, mein friund.

#91 FriZ

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationRome - Roma - Italy

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:00 AM

Guys, honestly, a fast coming so fast means just one thing:

STATS ARE BROKEN: Last week LRMs did a million damage/day, this week they do 100million damage/day.
Boating is the main problem in this game's, IMHO, every weapon should have a downside.

My own opinion: LRM should be a support weapon that can reach 2000 or 2500m away targets, with few big missiles (so the AMS would be effective), appropriate flying time, really high damage and low fire ratio. Something to punish pilots that gets too much away from any cover. LRM should be fires only with a spotter, and should be be useless in medium-short distances. It's a weapon meant for teamplay, not for boating, since every commando could crash a LRM boat that's unable to fire its main weapon in a range of 250 meters.

In MWO we lost the concept of Medium Range Missiles, and i can't understand why.
We have this hybrid that works with "self aiming", but is heavily guided and has a shorter range than all ACs and of PPCs. The range is medium, the damage is high, the guidance is high, the spotting system is mixed. I think the main problem is in the conception of the weapon. MWO's LRMs are just buffed MRMs, that's why they're so hard to balance.
Guys, i appreciate your work on balancing and your work on MWO in general, you're great. The flying trajectories are a clever adjustment. Keep the good work, but don't be afraid to revisit concepts that need a constant adjustment.

#92 Kvist

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:22 AM

Thank you guys for the quick hotfix. You are doing an awesome job and it is much appreciated. Do not let the ranting and QQing on the forums dishearten you. Keep up the good work!

#93 SleepyKen

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:31 AM

View PostObsidian Hand, on 23 May 2013 - 11:47 PM, said:

The solution to the missile arcing is simple really I'm surprised the developers never considered it:

Make the missiles (LRMs and SRMs) fire straight out toward where the reticle ( the + reticle or the o reticle, depending where the missiles are mounted) is pointed. In the case of LRMs and Streak SRMs, the initial launch velocity would send them out in a straight line for a second or two, then their guidance systems would kick in to adjust their course toward their target.

That would mean that if the launcher was pointed straight at the target at the time of launch, then the missiles would simply go in a (relatively) straight line.

But should a pilot find an obstacle between himself and his target, he can lock on, then taking advantage of the few seconds a lock remains after the reticle is removed from the target box, point his reticle (hence, the launcher) up or to the side before firing. The combination of initial launch velocity and guidance would produce the arc naturally (and even give a skilled pilot a little more control over how his missiles arc).

In case people think I'm just pulling this technique out of my behind, this is actually how missiles behave IN REAL LIFE.

Just my two cents.

MW:LL ATMS behaves like that. And Clan LRMs have no min range so you can just blast them to the face.
Also MW:LL has much nicer indirect firing where you dumbfire LRMs, MRMs or Arrow (not sure about atms) and spotter with TAG guides those to target (also narc, which has 1000m range and weak lock/homing, less ammo/ton as it is actually useful ingame unlike MWO variant).
MRM and Streaks (dumbfired) behave like old wire guided missiles for some time after launch to help hits on fast paced game.
MW:LL MRMs have only dumbfire.
Arrow doesn't act like missile version on an MWO autocannon, it spreads damage.
And I would also like to mention jumpjets that are far more useful than on MWO (and they create heat).
Indirect missilefire without Narc/TAG support is not effective.

If missiles traveled couple secs straight, catapults could lock nearby targets and shoot up, traveltime up and down counts as min range.
Hunchback 4J would cry.

And I agree with MWO LRMs being buffed MRMs, imagine old missile speeds (and current) with 3000m range.
Damagewise the post jager nerfsticks could have been fast longranged LRMs, just more ammo/ton, range, speed and less HP/missile.
No resupply and coming 12vs12 is going to hurt any ammo dependant builds if they survive towards the end of match.

#94 Jooyaa

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:36 AM

This is the right decision.

Tryin to put my own opinion aside:

Yesterday in roundabout 20 games I played, 80% of the mechs were lrm-boats.

Said ´nough!

Edited by Jooyaa, 24 May 2013 - 03:44 AM.

#95 IanDresarie

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 92 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:50 AM

hopefully they won´t be useless again...we have our experience with something like this ^^

#96 TexAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:01 AM

Nice

I think we will discover that they do way less damage now, because of the smaller spread and they will need to adjust the damage to 1.2 per missile, but overall it's heading somewhere I like

#97 Aegic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:02 AM

I love you

#98 Harb Ringer

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:03 AM

View PostHaniwa, on 23 May 2013 - 07:33 PM, said:

so my bet is, youre going to nerf missles to uselessness again.
Although the flight path was a little bit to good, it didnt felt overpowererd much. I didnt die once to LRM only in the past 100 games.

yeah..probably cause you using them and stay out of range

#99 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:20 AM

I really don't understand why so many people are so bent against LRMs being a viable weapon. They may just have to get over that fact if people ever want to see LRMs in use ever.

#100 Commander Kobold

• The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:49 AM

and thus poptarts return to power again...oh yay :D

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users