Shadowhawk Discussion Time.

186 replies to this topic

#1 Cold Cash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:06 PM

The king of scouts is finally here lets talk, lol, cry and generally talk shizz about this great mech and its potential.

This is the phoenix:

3# missile - 1 head 2 right torso
3# ballistic - left torso
1# energy - right arm

81kph
55 tons
3 jj
12 hs

Well slightly weird ballistic and missile hardpoints and 1 energy hardpoint and a left arm (shield), but overall quite a decent mix.

Seems to have decent hardpoints to fulfill a fast direct fire type of support loadout.
Also seems quite capable of being a flanker/harasser bap carrying lightmare.

? potential zombie?
? potential lrm pop?

IMO looks to be an excellent addition to the medium ranks, almost a straight up upgrade to a cent. Very stoked to try this baby out.

#2 Benjamin Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 367 posts
  • LocationIn my Spider 5D, killing all your Dire Wolves.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

One of my favourite mechs from down through Battletech history makes it's arrival. :)

Definitely excited about that mix of hardpoints, that could make for one extraordinarily versatile killing machine. Perhaps a PPC, Ultra AC/5s and SRMs for a heavy-hunter, though I expect a variant equipped that way would be slow as up-hill molasses. Maybe a Medium pulse, a pair of Streaks, and AC/2s, plus the biggest XL engine it can fit, for a light-hunter? I can imagine all kinds of builds here, from a fast LRM boat to a slow brawler. Definitely looking forward to this mech. Definitely glad I bought the Overlord!

#3 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

It's a lets-embarass-the-HBK-4G-pilots mech.

You give up two energy hardpoints (though one's crappy and stuck in the head) for 3 missile (with one crappy head slot as well) - current SRM meh-ness aside, that's a pretty damn good trade right there.

Then add in no huge hunch, jump jets, and 5 extra tons of awesome? Poor hunchie.

What I'm liking is it's going to give the type of play you can get from Quickdraws and Dragons, but very importantly in a Medium slot. You'll be giving your opposing team another medium, instead of say a AC40 Jag or what have you when you take one of the light-heavies.

#4 mack sabbath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

The lines of the Mech seem to indicate large side torsos, making XL engines mucho hazardous.

Unfortunately, this Mech will require an XL to reach its full potential.

#5 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

View PostBenjamin Davion, on 26 June 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

One of my favourite mechs from down through Battletech history makes it's arrival. :)

Definitely excited about that mix of hardpoints, that could make for one extraordinarily versatile killing machine. Perhaps a PPC, Ultra AC/5s and SRMs for a heavy-hunter, though I expect a variant equipped that way would be slow as up-hill molasses. Maybe a Medium pulse, a pair of Streaks, and AC/2s, plus the biggest XL engine it can fit, for a light-hunter? I can imagine all kinds of builds here, from a fast LRM boat to a slow brawler. Definitely looking forward to this mech. Definitely glad I bought the Overlord!

Mixed hardpoints are a big favourite of mine, as it makes it easier to adapt to changes in game balance, leading to a chassis that's pretty much always decent.

I'll probably stick to a set of 3xSSRM2's for the missile hardpoints, likely a PPC in the arm. See what that leaves for the 3 ballistics slots. Maybe ERPPC/3xMG (Haven't checked em out since the recent buff)/3xSSRM2, big engine, JJ's, etc.

Although, come October we can hope SRM's have seen some love... 2xSRM6+SRM4 would be a decent missile payload for up close brawling. Then go LPL (assuming they've had their tuning pass then as well) and whatever's left for ballistics.

#6 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

Not knocking the Hunchback but why run it when you can run a Shadow Hawk? Sure the single energy hard-point might be an issue but its not on the same side as the ballistic slots. I can see 3xSSRM2's tried with a ppc or ac20/gauss. But we won't know how good the mech will be till we see it on the field.

I might try a 3xAC/2 build just for kicks.

Edited by Hexenhammer, 26 June 2013 - 08:31 PM.

#7 Polk738

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

I see this mech being a zombie nightmare, with only 1 arm weapon. I'm liking the 3 ballistic and 3 missile hardpoints tho-just hope that ballistic slot won't be like the Hunch 4G where it gets blown off so easily. I'm thinking 2 SRM6s, 1 SRM4, 3 MGs and a ML in the arm.

#8 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:56 AM

The biggest problem for the shadowhawk is going to be it's weight vs. base engine size. The standard 275 engine is pretty heavy - a full 10 tons heavier than the base 200 engine on a 50-ton mech. It's also 3 tons heavier than a standard 250 (which is what a 50 tonner would have to carry to run at 81/89 kph). The jump jets will eat into that extra 5 tons as well... While it's technically 5 tons bigger, you're not going to see any differences in available tonnage over the CN9/HBK unless you're willing to sacrifice some of the mech's speed.

#9 Ravingdork

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 102 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

I'm going to be putting a TAG laser, 3 AC/2s, and 3 streak SRM2s in this baby if I can.

#10 flying1ace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationUnknown. But probably on the computer.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

No armour on its left arm, 3xSSRM's ER large laser, keep the LRMs and upgrade to a ac10

#11 Revorn

• The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

2AC2, 3 SRM2 and some Jumpjets would look nice, but i fear its to heavy duo the high EngineTonnage.

#12 EmperorMyrf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 740 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:17 PM

I feel as long as the shadowhawk doesn't have its twist arc near as big as the hunchback's, the hunchback will remain the superior brawler, and would not be replaced by the shadowhawk. Granted, this would mean that any long range builds on the hunch would be better suited on the shadowhawk, but I'd much rather that than a complete usurpation.

Edited by EmperorMyrf, 27 June 2013 - 01:18 PM.

#13 Benjamin Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 367 posts
  • LocationIn my Spider 5D, killing all your Dire Wolves.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

View PostEmperorMyrf, on 27 June 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

I feel as long as the shadowhawk doesn't have its twist arc near as big as the hunchback's, the hunchback will remain the superior brawler, and would not be replaced by the shadowhawk. Granted, this would mean that any long range builds on the hunch would be better suited on the shadowhawk, but I'd much rather that than a complete usurpation.

I would not be surprised to see the Shadow Hawk have an even better twist-rate and arc than the Hunchie. It's always been billed as an extremely manueverable mech. That said, it'll be hard to tell before we get our hands on the thing if it will entirely usurp the Hunchie. Somehow I doubt that happens though. THe Hunchie is a popular build for a reason.

Edited by Benjamin Davion, 27 June 2013 - 05:37 PM.

#14 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:14 AM

I am so excited about the ShadowHawk, it reminds me of the last Mech I used in MW4...
the Hollander II!

I love the off center cockpit and the huge AC5.
The Phoenix and Trebuchet are first 2 mechs I buy next week. My computer arrives in 4 days then build it, then I buy the Phoenix and Trebuchet, then I start the long process of dying ALOT and I can wait!

TNX MWO!

Edited by FEK315, 28 June 2013 - 05:21 AM.

#15 ZionStation

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

`This build looks promising :)
[SHD-2H]: 3xMG, 3xSSRM, ERPPC, 275STD, DHS, Endo

EDIT: Or it's XL engine brother? [SHD-2H]: 3xMG, 3xSSRM, ERPPC, 325XL, DHS, Endo

Edited by ZionStation, 28 June 2013 - 07:15 PM.

#16 BigBangA1

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:16 AM

I think the Shadowhawk could be a fantastic light hunter. 3 SSRM 2's, LBX AC 10, and a medium laser would be a pretty good pay load. Throw in BAP and you can take down those annoying Raven 3L's. Throw in jumpjets and the largest XL engine that will fit and you do tons of damage.

#17 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:42 AM

King hardly. However, I am looking forward to this mech. King of scouts is the Cent-D sadly that is all he rules over.

Edited by Johnny Reb, 30 June 2013 - 03:44 AM.

#18 J I N

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

View PostJohnny Reb, on 30 June 2013 - 03:42 AM, said:

King of scouts is the Cent-D sadly that is all he rules over.

And everything else kills it, because of the XL, that it needs most of the time... I keep it "slow" with an 240 STD engine and play as a brawler and sniper, which works quite good... and lights that don't run, die pretty fast.

I would not try to make the Shadowhawk as fast as possible... a STD250 (with speedtweak) should be enought for most builds to be as fast as anything down to the Cicade. Maybe a STD275 if you can fit in all the weapons you want.
--> with such an engine you will be able to mount more (5t )weapons compared to a 50t mech and you won't be much slower than anyone except for 2 variants with XLs.

The triple AC2 build for example could be a really useful choice instead of a quad AC2 Jager, that takes up a heavy-slot of your team :P
If you want to use missiles on it, remember one fact: missile-tubes! (there are only 2 in the Head and nobody knows, how many will be max on the torso... so 3x Streaks seem to be a good choice )

I think I will try to make it work as a pinpoint-damage build:
ERPPC and an AC20 or 2x AC5 should be fun
On the other hand 3x Streaks with a medium sized ballistic weapon and a LL or LPL would be great to hunt lights and mediums.

Edited by JIN1987, 30 June 2013 - 10:16 AM.

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:08 AM

View PostCold Cash, on 26 June 2013 - 08:06 PM, said:

3# missile - 1 head 2 right torso
3# ballistic - left torso
1# energy - right arm

This arrangement of hardpoints makes the Centurion CN9-AH viable as a mech again and not "overpowered" anymore! I wants my CN9-AH back!

#20 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:52 PM

Im already feeling like a unicorn when I drop in with my HBK4G(F).
People would stare at my mech like some rare spectacle before blowing off my hump.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users