- - - - -

Gameplay Update Feedback - July 30, 2013

230 replies to this topic

#61 Neverther

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

* A % of critical damage done to the internals of a component will be applied directly to the inner structure of that component.

This is going to be a problem with current mechanics.
Currently if you get hit with PPCs, and they only strip your armor, your components still get destroyed by some % chance.
Ive had this happen many times in hunchback (40 armor on front side torsos), getting hit only by PPC fire due to how current balance is.
Once a dual PPC blackjack shot my 4G, armor was lost, no damage to internals on paperdoll, and I still lost a LBX10 AND one machinegun.
As the crit on PPC seem to be all or nothing, that would add up a nice deal to internal structure.
Seen same thing happen to Phil on NGNG youtube videos, so I am not the only one.

#62 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

This would make sense if it were ONLY applied to crits verus the engine. I some day hope the devs get around to making actual movement penalities for the actuator and gyros. :D ;)

For example, you lose internal crit hps on your engine crits then it gets transfered to the torso internal at the same time. Right now its just urgh...

Edited by ManDaisy, 30 July 2013 - 11:37 AM.

#63 Lefteye Falconeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 352 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 30 July 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

If you take a look at the base numbers and the projected usage, the PPC is still a better choice than the LPL at doing the same thing, despite the slight heat increase and slot usage.

Doing the same thing? What thing? Hitting stuff under 90m?

See what I did there?

#64 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

God now I am starting to wish I didn't invest in the Overlord Package.

Heat going up on PPCs/ER PPC...seriously???

They are too hot already for anything approaching a normal build, i.e. any build using no more than pair of them plus supporting weapons such as MLs and SRMs. Way to muck them up again. I mean seriously, everyone who uses them in a normal build, gets punished because a few fricken mech can mount 3-4 of them and people whine about them. Typical PGI balancing...break everything to fix one small issue if it even really existed.

Same goes for the internal damage. Mechs already die to fast so lets just make it so they die a bit faster to all weapons to buff MGs and LB-10Xs. How about just fricken fix the MGs and LB-10Xs? MG just need to stop firing in a cone and the LB-10x just needs a slight buff to pellet damage...done.

As for the ER LL buff, it is pretty obvious that the goal of that one is to try to make it more favorable to use. I mean just like PPCs were before they reduced the heat on them prior to this new F**ked up patch, no one used ER LLs because of the fact the heat generated was too much for the benefit of extra range so if they reduce the heat, maybe more people will use them. The F**ked up part is that this has nothing to do with balance, rather it is just a way to encourge people to use them more often than they currently do.

Seismic well I guess we have definative proof that if PGI listens to the community. Obviously if you whine enough, they will nerf something. Wasn't broken or OPed before but because some people couldn't adpat to it, lets nerf it.

Only thing that made sense is the Pulse Laser buffs because they were a bit underwhelming for the short range, heat and weight compared to the standard versions.

Edited by Viktor Drake, 30 July 2013 - 11:41 AM.

#65 LaserAngel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 889 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

View PostJman5, on 30 July 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

As others mentioned, I'm a bit wary of this change.

For larger mechs it wont be as big a deal, but what about smaller mechs with significantly lower internal hitpoints? The 16 internal hitpoints on a raven's side torso will be hit much harder than an atlas' 42 hp.

I understand why this is being done. You want to find a way to better reward +crit weapons and give the mechanic itself more noticeable value. However, instead of doing that, why not just a find a way to better show the player the impact of their critical hits? More of a: "Hey btw you just crit that guy's PPC out /thumbs up." I would like a little message to pop when you knock out an enemy's gun. Perhaps you could even add it to the end of round personal stat page. Show how many weapons/ammo you critical'd over the course of the game and perhaps give them a small monetary reward like you do for regular component destruction.

I personally do not believe the critical damage feature needs to be buffed. I just think its powerful effect is too subtle for most to appreciate. You have to better show players the positive impact their critical hits have.

I see it as a buff to Machine Guns and the LB 10-X. It'll really have to be a waiting and see approach. I think the Machine Gun is fine at 1 DPS, no heat, and 120m to sand blast people. It also doesn't need you to twiddle with the MG/LB 10-X damage.

#66 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

View PostLefteye, on 30 July 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

Doing the same thing? What thing? Hitting stuff under 90m?

See what I did there?

I see what you did there. ;)

I'm specifically referring to "hit and run" attacks.

#67 Scromboid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBlue Ridge Mountains

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

Sorry... from this...

Spoiler

to this....

Spoiler

Not a lot of effort went into this...

#68 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

Sir: I don't think anybody not on your payroll understands the crit mechanic in MW:O; Knowing the table-top mechanic seems to even be a detriment to doing so …

#69 SuperJoe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 148 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:45 AM

might as well remove customization from the game and force ppl to play stock mechs cuz all the heatscale does is limit peoples choices even more and does little to stop the ppc+guass meta.

#70 Roheryn

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

View PostLonestar1771, on 30 July 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

At this point what is there left to nerf? Mechlab!?

It's coming. I think it is called UI 2.0

#71 Crazyeyes244

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 174 posts
  • LocationPlanet Helen

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

View PostLonestar1771, on 30 July 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

At this point what is there left to nerf? Mechlab!?

That was pushed back waiting on UI2.0.

EDIT:

Damn, beat me to it. Work computer is too slow.

Edited by Sam Donelly, 30 July 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#72 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

What is so hard about changing a value in a .xml file that we have to wait an ENTIRE WEEK for it to be done?

#73 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 30 July 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

Actually, we've been able to damage the engine for a long time…

Funny: There's a couple of games where I was told by Betty I'd lost heatsinks, only all my HSs were internal to the engine …

#74 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

You're telling us what's going in next week's patch?

Who are you and what have you done with the real Paul Inouye?

#75 Tragos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 289 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

Tried Terra Therma - the lava is way to WEAK. Right now you can ignore it completely, since walking through it will increase your heat by 2-10% depending on your speed...only if you PARK in it and shoot all the time you will get problems.

#76 arghmace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 30 July 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

Heat going up on PPCs/ER PPC...seriously???

They are too hot already

How exactly is PPC too hot when it has the same dmg per heat ratio as ML, is only slightly hotter than LL and is cooler than LPL? Also the ER PPC is very close to ER LL. Too hot? A weapon that does front loaded damage should certainly be hotter than a duration beam weapon so currently PPC's are indeed too cool.

#77 Gallowglas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

Paul Inouye said:

• A % of critical damage done to the internals of a component will be applied directly to the inner structure of that component.

View PostThontor, on 30 July 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

I'm a little worried about this. Having a critical hit do actual damage to the internal structure will just make mechs die faster in general. And they already die too fast IMO.

I understand it's a bigger buff to crit seeking weapons like the LB 10-X, Machine guns, etc... but it's still a buff to other weapons as well.

I really hope you guys are considering increasing mech health so they live longer....

I agree 100% with Thontor on this. I'm never one to over-react, but this single line has me extremely concerned. The life cycle of a mech that has reached internals should be longer, not shorter. I definitely understand the need to make the LBX/10 more valuable, but unless you're buffing the health of the component internals, this seems ill-considered.

#78 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

I tried it in testing grounds the heat wasn't working cause I swam in the center lava pool. Make it so that heat rises up constantly 'til a mech shuts down... forever. Or at least bring everyone up to 90% heat until they walk out of it. ;)

I actually expect lava to deal damage to my mech too! :D

#79 Erata

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationGoro Company Dropship MK1, Long live Lord Shang Tsung.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

View Postarghmace, on 30 July 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

How exactly is PPC too hot when it has the same dmg per heat ratio as ML, is only slightly hotter than LL and is cooler than LPL? Also the ER PPC is very close to ER LL. Too hot? A weapon that does front loaded damage should certainly be hotter than a duration beam weapon so currently PPC's are indeed too cool.

They are so cool, infact, that all the popular robotech pilots field them with their gauss builds.
You want to be cool, too, don't you?

#80 Suri Curume

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

View PostAlexEss, on 30 July 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

It is not the XML change that is important. it is the effect it will have on the game that takes time to test and evaluate...

Imagine if they had a group of gamers numbering much greater than their entire employee count. Imagine if they could implement the XML changes, and then patch them into a large server environment where said group of gamers could test the new stuff out and give them appropriate feedback. In fact, I think I'm going to call this theoretical group of gamers "Beta testers" and this large server environment a "Beta trial".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users