• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

View PostDruidika, on 05 August 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

Here's the video that shows the hero version, Golden Boy:

So, the question arises: will the Golden Boy be attributed to notable (and canonical) Kintaro pilot Rachel Sakurai? :)

"Busosenshi Rachel Sakurai: Rising from the streets of Styx to become a MechWarrior, Rachel was very conscious of civilian casualties during the War of 3039. As a member of the Fourth Ghost Regiment, she achieved four kills while saving St. Christina’s Hospital, which was later used by the DCMS to care for injured soldiers."
(TRO 3039, pg. 260)

"Chu-sa Rachel Sakurai: Assigned as the Combine’s military attaché to ComStar on Orestes, Chu-sa Sakurai found herself embroiled in a rabid battle between ComStar and the Word of Blake when the Jihad finally struck the world. Rather than allow herself to be caught up in the fury, she focused her energies on protecting the citizens of the world, working with local police and Orestes militia to keep the streets safe from the roving war bands. Twice her Kintaro has suffered crippling strikes while she was protecting a civilian shelter, and both times she was saved at the last minute by the timely arrival of militia reinforcements."
(TRO 3050U, pg. 200)

#322 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:16 PM

looks like the golden boy is going to be the weakest of the variants, as far as I can see. The lack of speed is a huge issue with the mech and... well, it just doesn't seem like it'll stand out like other hero mechs. Shame, shame.

#323 Kageru Ikazuchi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

Loving the music and the metallic paint accents ...

I wasn't very excited about the Kintaro before, but now, I'm interested ... will hold judgement until later, but I am interested.

#324 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:52 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 01 August 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

“BANZAI!” screamed twelve men and women simultaneously over open coms, as they crested the hill, literally crashing ahead into the scout force.

AND THEY ALL DIED TO A WITHERING BARRAGE OF PPC AND GAUSS FIRE.

THE END.

Fixed

#325 tucsonspeed6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 408 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

View PostRoland, on 05 August 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

Fixed

You forgot about the part where one of the guys starts spamming the team chat feed about much the rest of the team sucks and how they would have won if he didn't have to play with a bunch of noobs.

#326 Punk Oblivion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 352 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

Bah! This mech actually interests me. SRMs/pulse lasers/japanese theme. I tend to stick to heavy/assaults though. Maybe I will wait for the regular variants, and if I like those I will pick up this hero mech.

#327 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:34 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 05 August 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

I would just like to point out that this:

Posted Image

Is the image that everyone is saying is great compared to the concept sketch at the beginning of this post.

Seriously.

Really.

Would you want to be stomping around in that thing? It looks like someone was hungry and just started slapping down drawings of donuts. Or forgot to fill in some details while doing their initial composition. Alex's take is WAAAAAYYYYYY better and you're just remembering this mech as looking much cooler than it actually was.

Edit: The perspective alone is enough to make your eyes cross. Look at those missile tubes. LOOK AT THEM!!! Does the missile fire out at a right angle? What's going on with that medium laser? WHAT DID THEY DO TO ITS HIPS??

Some of us like streamlined, futuristic Jetson style stuff. We're old, remember?

#328 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

I feel a bit dumb for asking, but where did that video come from?

#329 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:12 PM

The original Kintaro looks like an awesome robot chimpanzee ****.
In fact...
Posted Image

#330 Mr D One

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

View PostOcilfa, on 01 August 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

Ugh, not enough swagger in the mwo version...Posted Image

Mmmmm sexy hip design, little armor flaps in front. A cunning design. I will name my Kintaro - CUN-TARO.

:)

#331 DisasterMedic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:05 PM

For those that don't have time to watch the video, I pulled this from the [a box of kittens]

Edited by Niko Snow, 06 August 2013 - 07:33 AM.
Impersonating Staff

#332 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:11 PM

View PostTezcatli, on 01 August 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

Anyone else feel like the art is starting to look way to alike?

My brother thinks it is because they don't like using rounded surfaces.

It has been like this for sometime.

The Catapult and Atlas were kind of roundish but for a while now, especially with the legs many of the mechs have been quite cuboid.

#333 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:31 PM

Now if you could just find a way to make anything below assault more popular...

#334 Snowcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:36 AM

Looking forward to this mech! :)
Also can't wait for the shadowhawk and orion.

#335 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:43 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 05 August 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

Now if you could just find a way to make anything below assault more popular...

Your problem looks like a nail, I just have the hammer for that:

Max_Mech for Assaults is 3. Heat Scale Multiplier is 4. As long as more than 3 assault mechs are on your team's side, every assault mech firing his weapons within 4 seconds of another assault mech generates extra heat according to the heat scale penalty system.

#336 Blackfang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 766 posts
  • LocationComing to a planet near you!

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:07 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 06 August 2013 - 12:43 AM, said:

Max_Mech for Assaults is 3. Heat Scale Multiplier is 4. As long as more than 3 assault mechs are on your team's side, every assault mech firing his weapons within 4 seconds of another assault mech generates extra heat according to the heat scale penalty system.

I don't think that's a good idea, Max assaults 3 yes not bad, but the heat penalties should remain independent not shared between the 3 assault mechs like that.

#337 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:39 AM

While limiting the weight classes per match is certainly going to work (and I'm still hoping for some mediums- or lights-only planets for CW), I think that rewarding the use of a light or medium 'Mech (lets say with special goals set for them) is a more suitable solution. You know, this thing PGI once promised to be one of the pillars of MWO called "role warfare". :)

#338 DemonRaziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 646 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:50 AM

A slight correction, if I may, to make it a bit more... ehm... dynamic and prevent mass assault boating.

The penalty multiplier should be +1.5 for each assault in game and should be applied as soon as there are at least 3 assault 'Mechs on one side in a drop. You apply this multiplier to each weapon fired by an assault 'Mech w/in 4 seconds of another assault 'Mech fireing its weapons, BUT, you divide the number by the amount of time (in seconds) between the current one and the previous assault 'Mech firing.

So for example:
3 assault 'Mechs in a drop - the multiplier is 4.5
You are in a stalker and fire 2 medium lasers 2 seconds after an Atlas on your team fired it's 4 PPCs
Your medium lasers would generate an additional 4 (base heat) x 4.5 (multiplier) / 2 (time between you and the previous assault 'Mech fireing) each. That would translate to a total of 18 additional heat (for 2 medium lasers combined).

If there were only 2 assault 'Mechs no penalty would apply and if there were 4 the penalty would be 12 for each medium laser fired (ceteris paribus).

Let me know if you'd like some charts and tables explaining the math in more detail :)

Edited by DemonRaziel, 06 August 2013 - 03:55 AM.

#339 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:26 AM

I don't think even PGI would use something that asinine and convoluted, a battle value or tonnage limit also are far less ludicrous.

I can see it now, NO ONE FIRE ANYTHING IM GOING TO ALPHA THIS GUY! *atlas on opposite side of the map alphas too, both explode.*

#340 Sasha Volkova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunjin
  • Gunjin
  • 449 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:39 AM

View PostDemonRaziel, on 06 August 2013 - 03:50 AM, said:

A slight correction, if I may, to make it a bit more... ehm... dynamic and prevent mass assault boating.

The penalty multiplier should be +1.5 for each assault in game and should be applied as soon as there are at least 3 assault 'Mechs on one side in a drop. You apply this multiplier to each weapon fired by an assault 'Mech w/in 4 seconds of another assault 'Mech fireing its weapons, BUT, you divide the number by the amount of time (in seconds) between the current one and the previous assault 'Mech firing.

So for example:
3 assault 'Mechs in a drop - the multiplier is 4.5
You are in a stalker and fire 2 medium lasers 2 seconds after an Atlas on your team fired it's 4 PPCs
Your medium lasers would generate an additional 4 (base heat) x 4.5 (multiplier) / 2 (time between you and the previous assault 'Mech fireing) each. That would translate to a total of 18 additional heat (for 2 medium lasers combined).

If there were only 2 assault 'Mechs no penalty would apply and if there were 4 the penalty would be 12 for each medium laser fired (ceteris paribus).

Let me know if you'd like some charts and tables explaining the math in more detail :)

*Sniff* *Sniff*
I smell a lightpilot here.
I can smell the frustration from being unable to brawl an assault like in the good old lag days.
However putting a heat penalty like you describe above on ALL weapons fired by an assault based on the amount of assault mechs on your side is ridiculous and NOT the way to fix the issue.
At best it is the biggest band-aid solution I have ever seen in my life.
Limitations on the max number of X mech pr drop is how to balance things.
A quick example (not perfect) would be this: 1-3 lights + 2-3 mediums + 1-2 heavies + 1-2 assaults.
This allows for some balanced groups often mainly consisting of mediums and lights with a few heavier mechs. (such as 2 lights + 3 mediums + 2 heavies + 1 assault = 8. Ofc the above numbers would need to be raised by roughly 50% when 12 vs 12 comes in, but thats another story)

Will this generate longer ques for the hevier mechs? Maybe.
Will this encourage people to play the lighter mechs? Maybe, depends on how long people are willing to wait in a que if you are hellbent on playing a heavy or assault mech. Still the chance that people will opt for smaller mechs is alot larger than some spoof ghost heat scale.
Remember what our community is like.
Everyone will still bring their biggest mech even if heat penalties was put in like you suggest.
The only thing we would optain by doing so would be the assault pilots all blaming the others for bringing assaults and every single assault pilot would say he lost because his team ****** him over by picking assaults.
You need to remember that we are sometimes dealing with a community that is more toxic than the wasteland surrounding Chernobyl.

Edit for clarity on a few notes: I am a heavy pilot myself. The above suggestion I made would even have an effect on my que. Honestly though I hate seeing 4+ heavies or 4+ assaults in match after match which is also why I am hyped about the new Kintaro as I can finally have a medium that fits my playstyle from the Dragon/Quickdraw mix by using the Shadow Hawk and Kintaro respectively. This will make me a medium pilot and by doing so I am doing what PGI wants us to atm. Lowering the weight class on the mechs I play.
I am aware that this might go to provide the impression that I am trying to bolster my own situation by limiting heavier mechs but I can assure you that is not the case as I will be more than content with the current system that would match me vs another medium if I roll a medium.
The above suggestion by me was simply made as a counter idea for the ghost heatscale that I commented on in the beginning.

Edited by 0okami, 06 August 2013 - 04:45 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users