L&d: Act Ii, Rainbow Rising Rp Ooc

Fiction

447 replies to this topic

#61 dal10

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:13 AM

and to top it off, most light mechs are rather short range. they would have to get within range of that ac/10 and large laser in order to effectively attack it. even when the ac/10 ammo runs out, that large laser would still make anything below 30 tons regret coming into range. it is why the urban mech is so effective despite trashcan.

Edited by dal10, 30 August 2013 - 06:16 AM.

#62 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:15 AM

View PostListless Nomad, on 29 August 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

What would be the post per week requirement for this thread - I'm kinda itching to get in on it but you all know my time constraints...

View PostRogueSpear, on 29 August 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:

Putting together the second lance, at least.
Nomad, requirements are 'Post when you can.' If absolute need be, we can NPC you after a quick Skype convo to judge your reactions.

Pretty much whenever, It's not all of us (especially me) has buckets of time to type away at the computer.

View Postguardian wolf, on 29 August 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:

Post will be up tomorrow evening. I'm really wanting to bring Shade into this, because his insanity would mix very well with Jack's Madness.... hehehehehehe

View PostRogueSpear, on 29 August 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

If by 'His insanity would mix well with Jack's madness' you mean Jack would kill him, then yes. I agree.

Yeah I think Shade would have an 'unfortunate accident' Hmmm.... Hit by an ambulance zooming through traffic, taking a patient to the nut bin. I will say this, I like the 'Shade' character concept, but your portrayal of it and what I see in my head are two different things. Whereas you'd focus on the nutty psychopath of it, I'd focus on the mental battle between the Ego and Id. Very Jeckyl and Hydeish. "I can feel you inside me." "Of course you can!" "You're not stronger than me." "I AM YOU! I RULE YOU!!" "No, you can't have me!!"

View PostRogueSpear, on 29 August 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

...Thooooommmm! Make it stop!

?

View PostSparks Murphey, on 29 August 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

Looks good to me, Dal. I'm amused to think that Takeo probably fought Sasha Bibikov from Midale at some point.

Also, Enforcer buddies for life!

View PostSparks Murphey, on 30 August 2013 - 06:08 AM, said:

That was pretty much how I figured it. I hadn't actually considered how right the Enforcer is for the situation, either: in addition to making messes of light 'Mechs due to large damage clumps, it's also primarily a mid-range flanker, so it's more likely to avoid damage (it's not going to be up close trying to brawl, and it isn't a sitting duck of an LRM support boat because of it's jump jets and lack of minimum range) than the other 'Mechs in the company.
Okay I'll admit it... The Enforcer is a damned good machine. It's one of my fave 50 tonners, but I think I like the Centurion more though, that Mohawk does things for me.

All in all I like the character Dal. I'm not sure how much Rogue (or the others) knows about the 5th (or all the Fusiliers for that matter) during the 4th SW. If that's the case, their (the Fusiliers)loyalty was to Michael Hasek-Davion, first, not the man polishing the throne on New Avalon with his butt. The more questionable units where sent to Sarna where the Big Mac Attack was waiting to destroy. I think the remnants were absorbed into other units, I'm not positive but I think some even ended up in the 1st Kathil Uhlans... (checked Sarna, some of them ended up with Morgan's boys.) So even though this character has been recognized as a hero and received the merits and medals he still has the stigma of having questionable loyalty at least to the Brass and other's that knew about Michael's treachery.

That being said I kind of want to see what other's have to say about Taeko. Oh yeah and for future ref there's no need to post all the details about your mech unless you're customizing the frak out of it.

Also,
Boreal Reach

The Davion arena uses holographic technology, coupled with advanced environmental controls, to produce virtually any setting a person can conceive of. It takes its name from one of the more popular such settings, a polar glacier. The arctic environment provides challenging footing, while enabling MechWarriors to push their 'Mechs to the limit, thanks to the extreme cold.

Just what the H3ll does this mean? From what I'm thinking the arena is just an overgrown simulator pumped up on Star League Steroids... What are your thoughts on this guys?

#63 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:54 AM

My take on Boreal Reach has been that it's an enclosed geodesic dome in shape and similar in function to some of the present-day environmental greenhouses they use for climate-specific plants. With some basic microterraforming (aka pushing dirt around, changing it to different types of dirt, fixing the temperature, and tweaking the atmosphere to whatever composition and pressure you want) you could simulate most environments. Bearing in mind that it says "to produce virtually any setting" not "to produce instantly virtually any setting", it might take them months to set up a particular environment. So, if you have an environmental hazard in the Boreal Reach, like lava or a blizzard, they are genuinely threatening, if not as isolated as you might normally find them. Some level of Star League-era tech is involved in containing said extreme environmental conditions, and I don't think you could achieve gravity with it.

The holographic stuff, though, is then used to produce what you can't environmentally. Want floating asteroids? Sorry, no can do. So, you bring on the holographic projectors. They're just holograms, and won't stop a bullet or even a strong breeze, but I'd bet the rules-based, chivalry-and-tournaments-reborn Davions would have codified rules into matches involving them ("Anyone hiding behind an asteroid is in a safe zone. Opposing players who fire through an asteroid will be charged for damage done to the 'Mech and may have match points deducted and awarded to the target") which they would, of course, then find ways to cheat at.

There was a tale I had written up at one point as a story Heather would relate in GW's Jade Falcon RP if anyone asked her about her dad, where she related a story of a match where Albert "Firestorm" Walker overheated his Warhammer long enough to melt it into a pit in the Boreal Reach glacier, so that only it's head and missile rack stuck out of the meltwater by the time the match was over. Of course, Bertie then developed into a full character in his own right, and I seem to have scrapped it.

#64 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationOn the dim edges of the map labelled only: Here be Urbanmechs.

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:14 AM

Go and do it anyway! Mechs and foxholes was always something I wanted to do.

#65 dal10

• Survivor
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

View PostThom Frankfurt, on 31 August 2013 - 01:15 AM, said:

All in all I like the character Dal. I'm not sure how much Rogue (or the others) knows about the 5th (or all the Fusiliers for that matter) during the 4th SW. If that's the case, their (the Fusiliers)loyalty was to Michael Hasek-Davion, first, not the man polishing the throne on New Avalon with his butt. The more questionable units where sent to Sarna where the Big Mac Attack was waiting to destroy. I think the remnants were absorbed into other units, I'm not positive but I think some even ended up in the 1st Kathil Uhlans... (checked Sarna, some of them ended up with Morgan's boys.) So even though this character has been recognized as a hero and received the merits and medals he still has the stigma of having questionable loyalty at least to the Brass and other's that knew about Michael's treachery.

That being said I kind of want to see what other's have to say about Taeko. Oh yeah and for future ref there's no need to post all the details about your mech unless you're customizing the frak out of it.

that is why i did the silver sunburst. if he was just a run of the mill officer he would have been dishonorably discharged and would lack a mech. basically, the whole point of the award was to make it inconvenient enough to just charge him with sedition, like the rest of the officers in the unit received (the 6th had the majority of its officer corps purged on sedition charges to try and break the hasek's hold over it. it did not work), that they would just give him an LT's pension and let him leave quietly. (he wasn't high ranking enough to be worth specifically grandstanding charge him with stuff.)

because lets face it, charging a member of a group that saved the *** off a bunch of other soldiers and received an award for it is easy pickings for enemy propaganda. (whoever that enemy may be.) particularly if he is a small fry. better to just spend some bills to get him out of the picture quietly.

also, i removed the whole mech thing like you mentioned.

#66 Listless Nomad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

Bio for discussion/approval

Name: Mason Adler
Callsign: Merlin
Date of Birth/Age: 3010/21years old
Current Mech: Hunchback 4G
House Affiliation: Lyran Commonwealth (Solaris Native)
Arena History: He’s been running in independent matches for about a year and a half, and has had moderate success. While not making enough to increase his standing in life, he’d made enough to keep his mech in working order. Mason has gained a reputation around the underground as a bit of a head hunter, and has three kills to his name. Each time, the board of inquiry found enough doubt to not suspend him, but Mason hears whispers and rumors more frequently now.

Physical Description: 6’0”, Wiry frame. Mason would be considered strong by most accounts, but does not appear to be bulky whatsoever. He is an avid smoker, and can often be seen with a cigarette hanging from his lips. Hair is a light, dusty brown, usually kept close-cropped. High up on this arm, usually obscured by a shirt, are tattoos of three skulls – signifying the men who have died by his hand in the arena. He is usually clad in a dirty OD jumpsuit, or civilian street clothes. As is typical for most men his age, he’s a hound for the ladies – but his bad attitude and lack of stunning features ensures he meets with little success.

Open Background: Born on Solaris to a middle class merchant family, Mason seemed to show little interest in piloting a mech. He spent most of his childhood goofing off or playing sports, while showing a mild disinterest in assisting his parents in the family business. His older brother, Cristof, however, was an avid mech fan and earned an apprenticeship with a local independent mechwarrior at a young age. The two grew so close that when the elder mechwarrior retired, he gifted his mech to Cristof – hoping to found a “People’s Champion” for the locals of Solaris. Unfortunately, Cristof was merely average at piloting a mech – and met with little long-term success in the arena. As Mason grew older, he began to idolize his older brother, watching all of his matches and cheering him on whenever he could. Naturally, Cristof began to show Mason how to pilot the mech – much to the disapproval of their parents who would have preferred their last remaining son to take over the family business. Tragically, Cristof and Mason’s parents were killed during a block fire shortly before Mason’s 17th birthday. After that, Mason became completely obsessed with his brother and learning to pilot a mech, so that one day he might follow in his footsteps. Two years later, the unthinkable happened for Mason. During a grudgematch with a pilot from the Draconis Combine, Cristof’s cockpit hatch became structurally unsound. Cristof immediately surrendered but to no avail. The Combine pilot continued to fire, striking the cockpit and crippling Cristof. During the inquest, the board could find little fault with the Combine pilot, citing “human error” on his part and merely suspended him for two matches. Cristof, now resigned to a wheelchair, would never pilot a mech again. This was a seminal moment in Mason’s life. For the next six months he practiced relentlessly in Cristof’s mech, becoming more proficient every day. Eventually, with him and his brother out of money – Mason registered himself for a match in his brother’s old mech. In his first engagement of a Free for All tournament, Mason identified a Mechwarrior from the Draconis Combine and in the course of his match, ended up decapitating the mech with an AC/20 round. Since that time, Mason has registered for other matches, and met with mixed success.

Deep Background: Mason is something of a dangerous person, and is only kept in check by the words of wisdom from his tactical advisor and older brother Cristof. Cristof, although crippled, continues to see the good in life and has accepted his destiny. Mason is filled with misplaced anger at the perceived injustice done to his idol, and flits from one emotion to another. Most days Cristof can keep him in check, but Mason has been known to show outbursts of emotion, especially during a match or when he’s been drinking. Although widely assumed, Mason harbors a deep hatred for citizens of the Draconis Combine, and for the review board itself. He has nothing but contempt for the governing body of the games, and will bend the rules at every opportunity possible.

#67 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

Nomad, you jumped the gun, but I'm not complaining. Love the opening post! And it's good to see someone sporting the dreaded H-Back.
Approved.

@Everyone. After looking through the books I have on HD I found some on Solaris 7 and particularly the arenas. Sparky, your thoughts/views/insights on Boreal Ranch were spot on. My thoughts on it were that it was a over grown simulator, but I was wrong. Thruthfully I'm glad I looked it up. Now I got some research to do and some brainstorming as well then I'll have something to post. Not sure what but something.

#68 Spokes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

I think Taeko fits well enough into the setting. It reads a little over the top, but things really did go down that way. If I remember correctly, Hanse Davion created a situation where he knew the Davion commander would choose to charge in recklessly, thereby getting rid of a politically troublesome unit while at the same time being able to say "Hey, they did it to themselves."

There were survivors, and some of them did end up with the Uhlans. Its easy to imagine that others were quietly shown the door. I think the bio works well. That said, I do have a suggestion. . .

The "deep background" at the end is the weakest part-- it doesn't really work for me. I would clean it up a bit. . .maybe the lance was advancing through a storm, and Taeko thought he saw a questionable bit of ground ahead of the group but failed to speak up and it gave way under his CO's 'Mech. Taeko's success afterwards might lead to all kinds of guilt-- "If I had spoken up my CO wouldn't have died but then I wouldn't have had that opportunity."

As for Taeko being retired for political reasons, it need not have been for loyalty problems. Maybe he performed a little too well during the retreat and embarrassed his immediate superior. If lots of people were being shown the door, it would be easy enough to get rid of a few additional people who had become annoying for whatever reason.

The last thing I would ask is, why Solaris VII? What drove Taeko to the game world? For me at least, I don't think that's something you have to spell out to us in your bio, but it's something you should be thinking about. Sooner or later, Taeko is going to hit a pothole and ask, "Why am I doing this?". You're going to need to be able to answer him.

#69 dal10

• Survivor
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

the deep background was really weak, but it was all that i could think of on short notice. i will probably change it. also, the loyalty thing was the simplest explanation.

#70 G is for Gamma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 418 posts
  • LocationDr Dude, Dr Mom.

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

First post is up. Nothing long, just a quick update on the state of Frumentarii

#71 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationOn Barcelona where the crap is about to hit the fan.

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

Oh my God Thom, I just got an idea for how to RP Shade, if I PM what the opening post and style would be for the char, and you find it acceptable, would you be cool with it?

#72 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:51 PM

Posted Image

#73 G is for Gamma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 418 posts
  • LocationDr Dude, Dr Mom.

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:54 PM

Rogue is the pubbiest of pubbie posters.

#74 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:57 PM

I have no idea what that means

#75 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationOn Barcelona where the crap is about to hit the fan.

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

xD I get the feeling I'm ******* Rogue off very aptly.

#76 dal10

• Survivor
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:27 PM

on a scale of 1 to david hasselhoff, how drunk are you?

#77 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:32 PM

Nah, you're not ******* me off, but I will **** you off if Shade gets in :D
I know you like the guy, but I feel he's not a good character and genuinely don't think he has a potential place in this RP. You already have Dylan (And assassins, and a contingent of Wolf's Dragoons, and....) so why do you need Shade?

EDIT: I tried to edit this to take the harshness off it, but I couldn't come up with another wording. The cons of being Scottish...No harshness intended is really all I can say

Edited by RogueSpear, 31 August 2013 - 09:35 PM.

#78 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:51 AM

View Postguardian wolf, on 31 August 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

Oh my God Thom, I just got an idea for how to RP Shade, if I PM what the opening post and style would be for the char, and you find it acceptable, would you be cool with it?

Ummm... No. For reasons that Rogue and I already stated. To quote myself, and because I'm too lazy to edit through my entire post, I'm just copying and pasting. " I like the 'Shade' character concept, but your portrayal of it and what I see in my head are two different things. Whereas you'd focus on the nutty psychopath of it, I'd focus on the mental battle between the Ego and Id. Very Jeckyl and Hydeish. "I can feel you inside me." "Of course you can!" "You're not stronger than me." "I AM YOU! I RULE YOU!!" "No, you can't have me!!" "

Also folks sorry I didn't post anything today, got drunk at a pool party... Saw boobies so it was pretty decent.

Edited by Thom Frankfurt, 01 September 2013 - 01:57 AM.

#79 dal10

• Survivor
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:29 AM

View PostThom Frankfurt, on 01 September 2013 - 01:51 AM, said:

Also folks sorry I didn't post anything today, got drunk at a pool party... Saw boobies so it was pretty decent.

that makes everything better.

#80 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:12 AM

Boobs always make the day brighter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users