#41 Sparks Murphey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

View PostRogueSpear, on 28 August 2013 - 07:57 AM, said:

Piloting a mech isn't as simple as driving a car - regardless, look at a Formula 1 driver. Those guys are without exception, ripped.
However piloting a mech seems to require much more physical fitness, more like piloting a plane than driving a car. Everything I've seen claims that mechwarriors are built and tend to be martial artists (Trains balance, etc). I'd gotten the impression it was required.

Because Mad Jack is the peak of human physical perfection.

Also, from canon, George Lytton from the Fox's Teeth:
Posted Image

View PostThom Frankfurt, on 28 August 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

But I thought they all were backstabbing nobles, or flunkies that hang out at ren fairs...*dodges thrown pottery*

*takes a ren fair class in pottery making, throws handmade pottery at Thom's back.

#42 guardian wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationOn Barcelona where the crap is about to hit the fan.

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:37 PM

Oh and Thom when did you want us to post?

#43 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationOn the dim edges of the map labelled only: Here be Urbanmechs.

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:49 PM

Jack's a fat b*stard, but he is also pretty built. And he dated a Drac once.
'Dated.'

#44 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:23 PM

Whenever you can GW, but no silly side plots or blundering espionage.

#45 dal10

• Survivor
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:31 PM

better question, what did that pottery ever do to you guys?

#46 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:13 AM

Pottery oppresses it's citizens, instigates conflicts against peaceful neighbors and betrays you when you least expect it. Therefore sparks and I need to liberate pottery on thoms back

#47 dal10

• Survivor
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

you seriously made me post this again...

Posted Image

#48 Spokes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:04 PM

Extreme actions being anything that iRL is unlikely to occur/would come with hefty consequences. Example, in Midale your character spent most of her intro being groped and fighting. IIRC, that kind of incident would come with a lot heftier consequences than a pat on the back from an old lady and a job offer.

View Postdal10, on 15 August 2013 - 03:05 AM, said:

now i am curious why spokes Chāo got attacked.

It is fiction, you can get away with a lot you couldn't otherwise. You do however need to try not snap your reader's suspension of disbelief as much as possible.

It's worth noting that the characters in a story do not exist in a vacuum-- if you carry a theme long enough in your own posts, sooner or later the other writers will have to respond to it or risk breaking their own characters.

I've finished reading through the original thread and I'm working on some character concepts. I'm going to assume Rainbow Stables is either actively looking to put together a second lance or is recruiting for the sake of having a deeper bench?

#49 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:18 PM

What would be the post per week requirement for this thread - I'm kinda itching to get in on it but you all know my time constraints...

#50 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

Putting together the second lance, at least.
Nomad, requirements are 'Post when you can.' If absolute need be, we can NPC you after a quick Skype convo to judge your reactions.

#51 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

Post will be up tomorrow evening. I'm really wanting to bring Shade into this, because his insanity would mix very well with Jack's Madness.... hehehehehehe

#52 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:16 PM

If by 'His insanity would mix well with Jack's madness' you mean Jack would kill him, then yes. I agree.

#53 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:54 PM

Oh there'd be many lols about I think.

#54 dal10

• Survivor
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

note i am reusing parts of my previous bio. mainly the name and callsign. i like them.

bio- take 2.

Name: Takeo Smith

Call sign: Taki

Date of Birth/Age: September 3004 - 27 years old.
Current Mech: Stock Enforcer ENF-4R

House Affiliation: House Davion - Capellan March - New Syrtis (tis important to specify where he is from.)

Military History: 3022-3024 The Warrior's Hall Military Academy
3024-3026 corporal 5th Syrtis Fusiliers
3026-3029 Leftenant 5th Syrtis Fusiliers
3029-3031 Leftenant 6th Syrtis Fusiliers
3031 Discharged with full pension (you know how some places will offer a severance package that sometimes includes a pension to get you out early? one of those)

Physical Description: 5;8" Stocky, about 170 pounds. fit, but not extremely muscular. (high metabolism.) shoulder length dark red hair. (you know that fake ultra dark red hair people sometimes have (natasha kerensky,) that but natural.)

Open Background: Takeo was born on a moderate sized farming operation near the a major city on new syrtis. (yes i know it is an ice world, still gotta be some farming though importing a planet sized amount of food would be hard.) Youngest of 3 sons (he also has a sister who is 4 years younger than him. i plan to have letters home), he grew up knowing that he would not inherit the family business. At the age of 17 he enlisted as a mechwarrior in the warrior's school, a war academy on New Syrtis. he would graduate in the middle of his class, earning above average mech skills, but below average everything not physical. (aka science and stuff like that that every collegey thing teaches). After graduating he landed a slot in the 5th Syrtis Fusiliers. During operation galahad, Takeo showed leadership potential after his lance commander slipped off a cliff during an exercise. leading the remaining 3 mechs, Takeo still managed to complete the objective with minimal additional damage. (simulated fire but still.) After the exercises he was promoted to the rank of Leftenant in the 5th. He was part of the unit dropped on Sarna during the 4th succession war. Though the Fusiliers were virtually wiped during the campaign, Takeo's company remained the solely combat effective unit from the entire RCT, with 10 out of the original 12 mechs remaining. Their company held off a Mac battalion so the remaining battalion of mechs still functioning could bull back and regroup. though 7 of the 10 mechs were destroyed in the process, they successfully delayed the enemy and retreated. For his actions, including the downing of 5 enemy mechs. (enforcer's hurt yo) He was awarded the Silver Sunburst (lowest of the sunburst medals but still a significant medal)

After the sarna debacle was finished, Takeo was transferred from the wrecked 5th Fusiliers to 6th Fusiliers. There he remained until about a year after the death of Micheal Hasek-Davion. During this time, a large number of officers in the rct were purged to try and increase loyalty to the main royal line (didn't work). Eventually it worked down the chain. Instead of firing him like a lot of other officers, mainly due to the fact firing a sunburst medal recipient would look bad, they offered to buy out the rest of his service term and leave him with an honorable discharge and a full pension. Takeo accepted, as the other options were bad. Unwilling to return to the farming life, Takeo used a good chunk of his pension, and all the money he had invested over the years to rent passage to Solaris, the game world, as well as buy his old beat up enforcer to bring for the ride. (if it is old enough they would probably sell for cheaper to help fund new purchases. not to mention this way they hopefully kept these mechs from going to more hasek loyalists.(poor logic but i got nothing better).

Deep Background: Takeo was in a relationship with his commanding officer. She applied for a transfer but was denied until after the games. He blames himself for her death. He warned her about the rocks not being strong enough for mech travel. Her mech fell through a weak section and landed on its cockpit. he tried to save her but was stopped by his lance mates. He has nightmares to this day, but not as often as in days past.

whatcha guys think. this is the best i got at normal.

edit: i changed the years slightly to address discrepancies in the timeline. aka galahad.

Edited by dal10, 05 September 2013 - 08:32 PM.

#55 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

...Thooooommmm! Make it stop!

#56 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

That's...a pretty OTT character as well Dal. Why not have a regular, line mechwarrior rather than a celebrated war hero with enough kills to qualify as an Ace? Who doesn't hold a sunburst, didn't direct a rookie battalion to fight off the Mac, etc. Just Joe Bloggs. Bert Walker, Sparks' char is probably the best example we have for a very interesting, normal as hell persona.

#57 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:22 PM

Looks good to me, Dal. I'm amused to think that Takeo probably fought Sasha Bibikov from Midale at some point.

Also, Enforcer buddies for life!

#58 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:32 PM

View PostRogueSpear, on 29 August 2013 - 10:13 PM, said:

That's...a pretty OTT character as well Dal. Why not have a regular, line mechwarrior rather than a celebrated war hero with enough kills to qualify as an Ace? Who doesn't hold a sunburst, didn't direct a rookie battalion to fight off the Mac, etc. Just Joe Bloggs. Bert Walker, Sparks' char is probably the best example we have for a very interesting, normal as hell persona.

The Silver Sunburst isn't a particularly rare medal. According to Sarna.net, Sunbursts are "issued to Soldier & Civilians for exceptional, duty, devotion, and sacrifice in name of Federated Suns." They come in three ranks, silver, gold and diamond. Guess which is the lowest.

Bertie was a Leftenant in the 4th too. He fought Capellans too, and though I haven't actually put a number on it, I'd say he's destroyed more than 5 'Mechs.

#59 dal10

• Survivor
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:23 AM

View PostRogueSpear, on 29 August 2013 - 10:13 PM, said:

the silver sunburst would be roughly equivalent to the silver star in the current military. it isn't given out to every thom (had to) {Richard Cameron} and harry, but it isn't something that makes you a knight of the realm either. roughly 100k - 150k people have received the silver star in the last 100 years. so roughly 1000 a year. considering the davion military is MUCH larger than any military on earth, and has been fighting a lot longer, even more people would have it. basically, i made a character with just enough clout to not get dishonorably discharged. least that was my intentions.

as for the battalion, he was not in charge of it. the company he was in, in which he commanded one of the lances, was the rear guard on a bit over a battalion of remaining troops. the fourth mac often leads with light mechs in their fights. They attempted to pin the batt in place until heavier units could reach them. Due to the rear guard they failed in this action. plus ac/10s and larger lasers do hefty damage to light mechs. 10 mechs held off roughly 30 + support long enough for the rest of the batt to regroup(considering light mechs, taking out 10 units would take a while even with numerical superiority. especially using hit and run tactics).. 7 of them were destroyed in the process. Takeo's mech was not, and he barely disengaged. considering the odds, probably all 10 members of the company would have received the silver sunburst. including posthumously. The commander of the company might even have warranted a gold sunburst.

make more sense?

Edited by dal10, 30 August 2013 - 05:27 AM.

#60 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:08 AM

That was pretty much how I figured it. I hadn't actually considered how right the Enforcer is for the situation, either: in addition to making messes of light 'Mechs due to large damage clumps, it's also primarily a mid-range flanker, so it's more likely to avoid damage (it's not going to be up close trying to brawl, and it isn't a sitting duck of an LRM support boat because of it's jump jets and lack of minimum range) than the other 'Mechs in the company.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users