Saber Reinforcement Package!

1219 replies to this topic

#1121 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

View PostFarix, on 11 October 2013 - 11:28 AM, said:

verybad, no matter how badly you want the Macross mechs, but PGI is never going to include them so long as Harmony Gold holds control over the IP, and Harmony Gold is not going to let go of the Macross IP without a court fight.

There are already Phoenix Versions of them all. Believe me I'm very aware of the issues, moreso than most people here, The Phoenix versions of them can be improved however so that they aren't hideous. As General Taskeen mentioned, the mechs names aren't an issue, just the original artwork.

Edited by verybad, 11 October 2013 - 12:01 PM.

#1122 Deathband

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:28 PM

How long will they keep the Saber pack up? untill the 15th of october or 17th of december?

#1123 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

View PostDeathband, on 11 October 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

How long will they keep the Saber pack up? untill the 15th of october or 17th of december?

They haven't announced, so it will still be a while. Technically, it could last at least until they are released in December, but since Sabre is dependent on first purchasing Phoenix (any tier), it would totally depend on when Phoenix was ended.

#1124 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:50 AM

I hope none of you guys buying Saber have height anxiety, because it looks like one size fits all and it's a BIG one.

RIP, "mediums", and there aren't enough quotation marks in the universe for that term.

Posted Image

#1125 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:03 AM

View PostAlex Wolfe, on 13 October 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

I hope none of you guys buying Saber have height anxiety, because it looks like one size fits all and it's a BIG one.

RIP, "mediums", and there aren't enough quotation marks in the universe for that term.

Posted Image

Volumetric density.

Posted Image

#1126 WhiteRabbit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 377 posts
  • Locationover there

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:31 AM

the density thingy makes sense when you think about it, weight doesn't really tell you the size of something...the problem is that making sense and good balance in fps aren't always the same :D

#1127 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:39 AM

View PostWhiteRabbit, on 13 October 2013 - 07:31 AM, said:

the density thingy makes sense when you think about it, weight doesn't really tell you the size of something...the problem is that making sense and good balance in fps aren't always the same :D

I guess the jenner is made of osmium. Shaq hawks and quickdraws are obviously contructed from lithium.

#1128 WhiteRabbit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 377 posts
  • Locationover there

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:43 AM

I'd have said they use styrofoam for the shaqs...but what do i know

#1129 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:44 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 13 October 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

I guess the jenner is made of osmium. Shaq hawks and quickdraws are obviously contructed from lithium.

There's a trick behind that. The Jenner if you were to take its profile (side view) and make that horizontal length vertical, it'd be taller than the Spider, taller than the Raven's normal height, and about the same height as the BlackJack.

Take the Raven and do the same thing, it's the height of the Hunchback, but thinner along the entire beak. In general the surface area of the Raven and Jenner's torsos are similar, made up for by the longer legs of the Raven (with a bit of excess).

That said, however, the Centurion's a bit too wide. The Treb's a bit too tall, but this is offset by its somewhat thinner nature and the fact that it needs to be tall to properly employ LRMs. The Centurion's size is due to the fact that the animations are identical to the Dragon's, and thus it had to be Dragon's size for the animations to work flawlessly.

#1130 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:48 AM

View PostWhiteRabbit, on 13 October 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

I'd have said they use styrofoam for the shaqs...but what do i know

Styrofoam balsa wood frames, with layered lithium-potassium crystalline alloy armor.

Posted Image

Edited by Vassago Rain, 13 October 2013 - 07:49 AM.

#1131 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:49 AM

View PostAlex Wolfe, on 13 October 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

Posted Image

Well we know about how tall the Griffin and Wolverine will be.

#1132 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:15 AM

View PostWhiteRabbit, on 13 October 2013 - 07:31 AM, said:

Except that robots are not blocks of solid matter, there will be room inside and they're made of spaaaaaace materials, so they can be arbitrarily made to have any density. As such, balance becomes the only criterion to base mech size on.

Given complete freedom, why would anyone want to make the already unpopular class gigantic (meaning, gimped balance-wise)? We may never know, but after a year of it continuing it starts to look like a cruel practical joke/human endurance experiment.

#1133 DirePhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

View PostAlex Wolfe, on 13 October 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

Except that robots are not blocks of solid matter, there will be room inside and they're made of spaaaaaace materials, so they can be arbitrarily made to have any density. As such, balance becomes the only criterion to base mech size on.

Given complete freedom, why would anyone want to make the already unpopular class gigantic (meaning, gimped balance-wise)? We may never know, but after a year of it continuing it starts to look like a cruel practical joke/human endurance experiment.

Except this is a game where material density does not matter, because we have hitpoints. If you give something the same amount of volume with lower hitpoints, it will be just as easy to hit and go down faster. This isn't like WoT where you can say you have 4" of armor placed at a certain angle of deflection covering a certain section (and perhaps another section with a different thickness of armor at a different angle) with the internal components placed in certain locations within the geometry that you have to penetrate through the armor just right in order to hit.

Posted Image

Here in MWO we have a volume of geometry with X hitpoints. It doesn't matter at what angle the armor is placed or how thick it is, or how spaced out the internal components may be. When that volume's armor hitpoints are finished, you start doing damage to the internal structure hitpoints, with Y chance to cause damage to the items in that location. When that volume's internal structure hitpoints are gone, that section is destroyed.

Edited by DirePhoenix, 13 October 2013 - 11:12 AM.

#1134 Chronojam

• 2,185 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:39 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 13 October 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

The Raven 4X must be made of autism.

#1135 Dynamite Teddy

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:39 PM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 13 October 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

Except this is a game where material density does not matter, because we have hitpoints. If you give something the same amount of volume with lower hitpoints, it will be just as easy to hit and go down faster. This isn't like WoT where you can say you have 4" of armor placed at a certain angle of deflection covering a certain section (and perhaps another section with a different thickness of armor at a different angle) with the internal components placed in certain locations within the geometry that you have to penetrate through the armor just right in order to hit.

Posted Image

Here in MWO we have a volume of geometry with X hitpoints. It doesn't matter at what angle the armor is placed or how thick it is, or how spaced out the internal components may be. When that volume's armor hitpoints are finished, you start doing damage to the internal structure hitpoints, with Y chance to cause damage to the items in that location. When that volume's internal structure hitpoints are gone, that section is destroyed.

That really helped me out, I would just shoot and hope. lol jk

#1136 Thoummim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 273 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:15 PM

View PostAlex Wolfe, on 13 October 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

The more space you have the more armor you need to cover that space, making you heavyer.

That why the French's MBT Leclerc is lighter than most other MBT and remain resistant enough to take a frontal hit from a 120mm canon, cause it only need 3 crew instead of 4 => less space needed => less armor needed => less weight.

Mechs are already tissue paper density come on making SHD and other medium highlander size is just beyond me.

#1137 Penance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:18 AM

December, aww man, I thought they came out today. This is depressing, kind of.

One thing left for me to say....release the clans!!

#1138 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

View PostFarix, on 11 October 2013 - 11:28 AM, said:

verybad, no matter how badly you want the Macross mechs, but PGI is never going to include them so long as Harmony Gold holds control over the IP, and Harmony Gold is not going to let go of the Macross IP without a court fight.

Theres plenty of old BT stuff thats clear and has never been modeled. How bout the Marauder's 95 ton cousin, the Nightstar? twin gauss, er ppc, 2 md plas and a small laser. And its from 2xxx so its fully timeline compatible

Posted Image

#1139 desan476

• PipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 47 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationunderground

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:21 AM

View PostHelmer, on 28 August 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

I have no idea why I bought it. I really don't even run mediums that often. Great work yet again Alex. Me : "But honey , it's 6 'mechs for $30" Wife: "But do you NEED or WANT more medium 'mechs?" Me: "Well.......no....not really....but it's such a good deal!" Cheers.

hahaha :) thats pretty much how capitalism works

#1140 Wo0t

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 51 posts
  • LocationHere, there, everwhere!

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:57 AM

I have to say so far, I am quite impressed at what was delivered in the Phoenix packages, except for some of the mech loadouts with ballistic hard points. I mean, was it intentional that none of the Phoenix mechs, including standard variants, can equip an ac/20 or dual UAC/5's (except the Shadow Hawk)?

Also, would have been nice IMO to have dual heat sinks included in the Phoenix builds, while leaving singles in the standard variants.

Just some small gripes, all in all I'm enjoying trying all these new mechs!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users