#1 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:10 PM

This month's theme is all about Rebooting MechWarrior.

Read this http://mwomercs.com/support#faq and this http://mwomercs.com/...10/2-dev-blog-0 first.

Rules:
  • Read the entire thread, before posting a question.
  • Only questions about rebooting MechWarrior please.
  • Do not reply, discuss, or respond to any questions in this thread.
Keep it clean please. The easier it is for me to read, the more questions you'll get answered.

The answers to selected questions, will be posted on Wednesday November 16, at 10:00AM PST.

#2 LordKelvin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:13 PM

Being an avid fan of the tabletop game, I really anticipate what the starting lineup of 'Mechs at release will be. How many 'Mechs of each weight class do you plan to start with, and what plans do you have, if any, for including additional 'Mechs that you couldn't squeeze in at launch?

#3 Glare

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 192 posts
  • LocationAtreus

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:15 PM

What kind of benefits or penalties will there be for declaring for one Great House or another?

#4 Alistair Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 516 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:15 PM

Wow, this should be good.

Alright, let's see. How about this: What are your plans for in-game community? Will there be the "Hub worlds" I've seen tossed around the forums where people can meet and chat? Or will we rely on the forums for that. A lot of us would like pilot avatars for stuff like that. Walk around on relatively major (and stable) worlds as our pilot, to really get the scale of the universe. Plus, that would add more cosmetic stuff for you guys to put in. Or maybe a DropShip deck with the same idea for a Merc Corp to strategize as they burn in-system for the attack. And I assume some nice voice-chat support.

That's all i have for now. I'll certainly be back for more questions as this thing starts rolling. Thanks again, Bryan! If anything, you guys are some of the most awesome devs I've ever seen.

#5 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:16 PM

Bryan, I understand there is to be a conquest mode (planetary, I assume); in that mode, and with the Merc Corps HQ, will there be a means of setting Operation, Campaign, and Mission waypoints and objectives on planets?

(EDIT: Sorry about this one, Bryan, it's not really a Reboot question. I got excited and... :) )

Edited by Kay Wolf, 10 November 2011 - 05:39 PM.

#6 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:19 PM

Having read the above-required reading, I'm curious to find out how you were able to gain permission for being able to reboot MechWarrior, and what vision did you present that made the powers that be want to let you have it? I imagine it would take some brass "knuckles" the size of Ostrich eggs, and a wonderful proof of concept to get there.

#7 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:23 PM

Can you expand a bit further on what the impact the stated focus on information warfare ("Information is ammunition!") will have on the game's design? I know you probably don't want to give anything particularly juicy away this early, but a couple of us were wondering. Speaking of information warfare, I would like to ask if there are any plans to include a built-in voice chat functionality that has a function within the game world (i.e. Battlefield 2's separate squad and commander push, Splinter Cell's eavesdropping, Chromehound's limited communication range/jamming etc.)?

Edited by Ghost, 10 November 2011 - 05:24 PM.

#8 mbt201188

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationPickens, SC

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:24 PM

Do you have plans in rebooting the series to take it past MWO like books or movies?

#9 jcdenton

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:25 PM

What will the mechlab and customization be like for the game? Will it be more like mechwarrior 4 or mechwarrior 3' style of a mechlab?

#10 mbt201188

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationPickens, SC

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:25 PM

Is there been anything that has been added or removed from the series to make the reboot more appetizing to newcomers?

#11 mbt201188

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationPickens, SC

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:27 PM

Is there any fears that you have about rebooting the franchise?

#12 mbt201188

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationPickens, SC

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:29 PM

What are you doing to get the sense of scale right for piloting a giant battlemech?

#13 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:30 PM

Oh Yeah, Harmony Gold

Contrary to all the press and speculation that Harmony Gold was getting in the way of a deal or development, this had no impact whatsoever on development or signing a deal for MechWarrior.

In regards to this, does this mean we will see the Marauder, Archer, and the rest of the 'unseens'? Will they be the original formats, the 'reseens' or will they be Alex's own variations on these iconic mechs?

#14 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:31 PM

What kind of differences, if any, will there be between playing for one of the great houses and playing as a mercenary unit?

Edited by hayden, 10 November 2011 - 05:32 PM.

#15 mbt201188

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationPickens, SC

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:32 PM

I know that a relatively new pillar of gameplay, information warfare, is being added to Mechwarrior. What exactly does that mean from a gameplay perspective?

#16 Tempered

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:33 PM

Will there be a detailed cockpit with useful information displays or interactive components? Perhaps something along the lines of what current flight simulators offer?

#17 RangerRob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationEarthworks Inc., Cataphract Plant, Tikonov

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:34 PM

You mention the four "Types" of mech duties.

Scout, Command, Attacker & Defender.

Will the Defender type be the Anti-Information warrior type? Blocking the scouts from relaying information, or perhaps relaying faulty information on their own?

#18 mbt201188

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationPickens, SC

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:37 PM

How will mech classification work? Will it just be the traditional light, medium, heavy and assault classes? Or will it be more detailed, such as scout killer, or base defender?

#19 itchies

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 70 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:41 PM

When you establish a Mercenary Company, it has to be affiliated with one of the 5 Houses or The Free Rasalhague Republic. Correct? Will we be able to draw pilots from any house or only from the house that the Merc Company is associated with? If we are able to accept pilots from other houses, will they have to "travel" to your base, or can they just "message through Comstar" and be accepted? (And please let it be known whether Merc Companies will be able to be named after those that are already established in the books and in the original game.)

#20 Cyttorak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationAlbany, OR, USA

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:41 PM

How detailed will the in-game economy be?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users