10303 replies to this topic

#10261 IKeaton

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 December 2023 - 01:22 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 24 December 2023 - 11:09 AM, said:

No, there's nothing like that. If you can target them, you should be able to missile lock. Has the issue recurred?

If something like that happens, record the match ID and send it to support with whatever screenshots you can manage.

Just had a similar encounter but a bit more obvious this time with 2 lights with ECM. In the context of the first secnario, are ECMs in disrupt disabling mechs ability lock missiles and use TAG entirely inside their bubble? Even if my target that im trying to lock on or hit with TAG is outside the range of the ECM affecting me?

#10262 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,625 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 24 December 2023 - 04:44 PM

View PostIKeaton, on 24 December 2023 - 01:22 PM, said:

Just had a similar encounter but a bit more obvious this time with 2 lights with ECM. In the context of the first secnario, are ECMs in disrupt disabling mechs ability lock missiles and use TAG entirely inside their bubble? Even if my target that im trying to lock on or hit with TAG is outside the range of the ECM affecting me?

It doesn't matter whose ECM bubble you're in as long as you're inside it, I think. To be honest, it's been a while since I used lock-on weapons regularly, but that does seem to be happening here. I'd suggest an active probe in addition to your TAG, regardless.

#10263 IKeaton

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 December 2023 - 06:52 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 24 December 2023 - 04:44 PM, said:

It doesn't matter whose ECM bubble you're in as long as you're inside it, I think. To be honest, it's been a while since I used lock-on weapons regularly, but that does seem to be happening here. I'd suggest an active probe in addition to your TAG, regardless.

Thats the fun part I do have an active probe lol. I would have needed a UAV or someone else with me to counter the second ECM. Just a situation I've managed to dodge for years so it caught me off guard.

#10264 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 24 December 2023 - 07:06 PM

View PostIKeaton, on 24 December 2023 - 06:52 PM, said:

Thats the fun part I do have an active probe lol. I would have needed a UAV or someone else with me to counter the second ECM. Just a situation I've managed to dodge for years so it caught me off guard.

Yeah, TAG works if you are not under (enemy) ECM yourself. If you are having your locks disabled by an active ECM nearby, TAG isn't going to help, nor would a UAV above you (as that doesn't disable ECM either). A UAV popped above you when this happens though will alert your team to enemies there, as they will be able to see the "locks" on their radar.

#10265 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,625 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 24 December 2023 - 07:39 PM

View PostIKeaton, on 24 December 2023 - 06:52 PM, said:

Ah, yeah. And it was a troll buddy team, too; "hur-hur, people run hot builds and I have a flamer, so they can't play the game right now, hurr"

#10266 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 31 December 2023 - 07:15 AM

Does the "Cooldown" skill affect UACs, and if yes - in what way?

#10267 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,703 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 31 December 2023 - 09:29 AM

View PostDavidStarr, on 31 December 2023 - 07:15 AM, said:

Does the "Cooldown" skill affect UACs, and if yes - in what way?

Yes. UACs function the same as standard autocannons - cooldown skills and quirks reduce the time the weapon takes to cool down from a regular shot (double-tap doesn't affect the cooldown timer).
Cooldown does NOT affect the jam duration, however, so in some chassis standard ACs or LBXes can out-DPS UACs of the same caliber.

#10268 OneMann

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2024 - 10:07 PM

How do you gain skill points?

#10269 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 11 February 2024 - 01:35 AM

View PostOneMann, on 10 February 2024 - 10:07 PM, said:

You unlock them with the XP you earn when playing.
(or with GSP you get during events)

#10270 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,625 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 11 February 2024 - 10:26 AM

Once you have the experience, it will take a small amount of c-bills to buy that skill point, which you can then use to unlock a skill node. It's worth mentioning that once you unlock a skill node, the skill point is gone, but you can freely deactivate and re-activate that skill node, up to the maximum of 91 active nodes.

Also: Welcome to MWO!

#10271 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,625 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 11 February 2024 - 10:30 AM

PS: to actually buy the skill point, you've got to click on "buy SP" in the upper-right corner, and then use the slider for what you want to use to buy the point. There'll be sliders for various kinds of XP (e.g. General XP that can be used on any 'mech, and the chassis xp from playing,) as well as for General Skill Points (GSP) from events or whatnot. Move the sliders to match the total SP you want to buy, and voila!

Edited by Void Angel, 11 February 2024 - 10:31 AM.

#10272 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,440 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 12 February 2024 - 04:02 AM

A warm welcome to MWO!

Personally, I would recommend piloting a Heavy mech or an Assault, deal lots of damage (300+ per match if at all possible, and 8+ Kill Assists). You would get lots of Skill Points for your mech! And get some General Skill Points (that you can use on other mechs too).

Something like Dire Wolf DWF-A, Stone Rhino SR-1, SR-4, etc.
Something like Hellbringer HBR-Prime.

But you are literally just starting off, have very few mechs to choose from (Hint: Use the Trial Mechs (T) for now).
Short on CBills, have very little General Skill Points... welcome to the rough edge of starting off in MWO...

I wish that there's a way to donate some free mechs to your account via MC, but it's not possible for now...

Here's to wishing that you would get over this new-to-MWO hump soon!

#10273 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 05:57 AM

View Postw0qj, on 12 February 2024 - 04:02 AM, said:

Personally, I would recommend piloting a Heavy mech or an Assault

This thread is not the place for an argument ("short question, short answer"), but I disagree (I personally deal more damage and earn more cbill/XP in lights and mediums than assaults).
My advice would be to test all trial mechs and find out what they enjoy to pilot, and only then to buy their first mech similar to the trial they're doing well with - there is no reason it must be an Heavy/assault.

#10274 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 06:38 AM

And be aware, that u can't skill trials (they have an standard skillset backed in their stats).

#10275 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,440 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 14 February 2024 - 03:58 AM

Good news!

Feb'2024 free mech (and free mechbay) of the month: Dragon DRG-1G, a decent heavy mech!
https://mwomercs.com/events/547

And some MC / GSP / CBills / Premium Time to boot too! ;)

View Postw0qj, on 12 February 2024 - 04:02 AM, said:

A warm welcome to MWO!

Personally, I would recommend piloting a Heavy mech or an Assault, deal lots of damage (300+ per match if at all possible, and 8+ Kill Assists). You would get lots of Skill Points for your mech! And get some General Skill Points (that you can use on other mechs too).

Something like Dire Wolf DWF-A, Stone Rhino SR-1, SR-4, etc.
Something like Hellbringer HBR-Prime.

But you are literally just starting off, have very few mechs to choose from (Hint: Use the Trial Mechs (T) for now).
Short on CBills, have very little General Skill Points... welcome to the rough edge of starting off in MWO...

I wish that there's a way to donate some free mechs to your account via MC, but it's not possible for now...

Here's to wishing that you would get over this new-to-MWO hump soon!

#10276 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,703 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 February 2024 - 06:57 AM

View Postepikt, on 12 February 2024 - 05:57 AM, said:

This thread is not the place for an argument ("short question, short answer"), but I disagree (I personally deal more damage and earn more cbill/XP in lights and mediums than assaults).
My advice would be to test all trial mechs and find out what they enjoy to pilot, and only then to buy their first mech similar to the trial they're doing well with - there is no reason it must be an Heavy/assault.

I lean towards advising heavy and medium mechs, with maybe the MK IIB as the only assault. Both light and assault mechs can be deathtraps for a newbie and moreover - and lights are not going to be reliable earners in a beginner's hands.

#10277 torsie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 185 posts
  • LocationLost in the snow :3

Posted 19 February 2024 - 01:03 PM

I hope there is short answer to this.Posted Image

C-AC/20 vs C-LB-20X AC (These are not finished builds, just example).

Unlike regular AC20 or UAC20 this Clan AC20 has no extra heat, so why not just 2 Clan-AC20s for full effect?

PS: Oh dont worry torsie is just bit dummy, Clan AC20 shoots several shots at once, noone told me that Posted Image

Edited by torsie, 20 February 2024 - 01:52 PM.

#10278 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,625 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 19 February 2024 - 07:27 PM

View Posttorsie, on 19 February 2024 - 01:03 PM, said:

I hope there is short answer to this.Posted Image

C-AC/20 vs C-LB-20X AC (These are not finished builds, just example).

Unlike regular AC20 or UAC20 this Clan AC20 has no extra heat, so why not just 2 Clan-AC20s for full effect?

The LB-X has more spread in exchange for more damage to structure (via extra crits) and 20% less heat compared to the c-AC/20. The LB-X also has a much closer "real" effective range (the range at which you can actually put most of your pellets on the component you're shooting at.) So, there's no reason why not, precisely - it just depends on if you want to fight at knife range or use a more precise build with a little more range.

However, the best builds for the MAD-IIC-D involve Gauss weapons and long-range lasers, in my experience. Not enough hardpoints for a close-in build, so you're essentially armed like a Heavy in an Assault chassis.

#10279 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,703 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 February 2024 - 04:11 PM

LBXes also fire their damage in a single blast instead of several projectiles following one another. You can press fire and start twisting your mech to roll damage right away.

Also FYI, LBXes do not link ghost heat to ACs or UACs. You can have for example 2xLB20X + UAC20 on the same mech and fire all three at once with no heat penalty. I do that on my Ultraviolet (with the addition of 4xSRM6 for silly amount of alpha strike)

#10280 The Waargh

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 08:23 AM

Just returned recently and noticed this on my profile, how does that work though..!?

[Edit] I thought I could post a picture, but that was apparently removed. So I noticed on my profile I have 1440 hours of premium time "banked", how does that work..??

Edited by Daffy, 17 March 2024 - 08:25 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users