• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:51 PM

View PostGarry Burton, on 08 February 2015 - 10:11 AM, said:

...or am i a complete moron who happens to have missed the right button. :(

As the others have said - but...
I have had issues in some games where I have had to change it to something else in order to get the buttons to work.
(Assassin's Creed was horrible that way - I had to change EVERY button, and some of them still do not work right)

#3322 Kriegger

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:24 PM

HELP!!!

This would be a question about how to play the game, if I was actually able to play it!!!!

When I first opened the game, it was not in full screen, yet the "maximize" icon in the top right corner was not availible. so I decided to change the screen resolution to the same resolution as my computer screen... instead all that did was put the game window so far in the top-left corner of my screen i can see everything EXEPT the buttons to do ANYTHING!!! I cant play, access my mech, nothing! The only controls I have access to are my settings (which does not help, as most of the settings are also too far up for my cursor to access). I cannot move the game window down. THIS LOOKS LIKE AN AMAZING GAME BUT I CANT PLAY!!! PLEASE HELP!!!! :(

#3323 Tylerchu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 253 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:59 PM

View PostKriegger, on 09 February 2015 - 07:24 PM, said:

HELP!!!

This would be a question about how to play the game, if I was actually able to play it!!!!

When I first opened the game, it was not in full screen, yet the "maximize" icon in the top right corner was not availible. so I decided to change the screen resolution to the same resolution as my computer screen... instead all that did was put the game window so far in the top-left corner of my screen i can see everything EXEPT the buttons to do ANYTHING!!! I cant play, access my mech, nothing! The only controls I have access to are my settings (which does not help, as most of the settings are also too far up for my cursor to access). I cannot move the game window down. THIS LOOKS LIKE AN AMAZING GAME BUT I CANT PLAY!!! PLEASE HELP!!!! :(

Whenever I move my screen around, I exit the game and restart it and it ends up back in the middle of my screen. Have you tried this?
NOTE: I have never messed with the window size so I don't know what it does
NOTE 2: Do you NEED to have a maximized window? The default size works perfectly for me...

#3324 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:46 PM

View PostKriegger, on 09 February 2015 - 07:24 PM, said:

HELP!!!

Start the game and then press ALT+ENTER.
This will force maximizing the game screen.

#3325 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:22 AM

The game will start in a small window for logging in. Once you're logged in, you can press the settings button at the bottom right corner and set the resolution and display mode (I reccomend Borderless Window). Note that the game will always start as a small window when loggin in, because the resulution settings are loaded after you have logged in (the reson for that is that the settings are saved in profiles in case multiple people use the same computer, so the settings re saved for each individually)

#3326 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:14 AM

If you get into a situation where you can't access the settings to change them, you can delete your USER folder C:\Users\[WindowsUserName]\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online\Profiles\[MWOProfileName]
The attributes.XML file seems to be responsible for holding your resolution setting so, in theory, deleting that one file should reset the resolution to the default. I'd recommend only doing this if no other solution works.

#3327 Calebos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:43 AM

GUI. Why is it so ugly, unnotticed? Do game developers ever heard about ergonomy? It is pure fail.

#3328 Calebos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:21 AM

Game engine? It has very serious problems with collisions.

#3329 soft target

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:33 AM

hey guys I have a question on faction warfare:

can I use a clan mech ( that I own) for a innersphere faction?

thx

edit: already found the answer nvm,

Edited by soft target, 15 February 2015 - 09:44 AM.

#3330 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:46 AM

View Postsoft target, on 15 February 2015 - 09:33 AM, said:

can I use a clan mech ( that I own) for a innersphere faction?

No.

But neither can the Clans use IS machines (or weapons)

This gets interesting when you start looking at everything involved, as IS ballistcs do their damage with 1 bullet, but the clan equivalents (while weighing less and generating less heat on average) do their damage similar IS lasers (over time)

Also - Clan missiles (half-weight launchers) fire in a stream (ams fodder) while IS missiles (heavy launchers) fire in one burst (tubes allowing)

Given the choice, most people would never mount clan missiles or ballistics.

View PostCalebos, on 15 February 2015 - 07:43 AM, said:

GUI. Why is it so ugly, unnotticed? Do game developers ever heard about ergonomy? It is pure fail.

The user interface?

Ongoing project.
They had to re-write the entire thing from scratch, and this is not exactly a big company that can just throw people at a project until it is done.

If it bothers you overly much though - they ARE hiring.
And have been since open beta at least
(See the big button at the bottom of the webpage)

#3331 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:12 PM

The UI may not be very ergonomic but it is prettier, has better overall functionality and adaptability, scales to different resolutions, and is actually a pretty consistent interface throughout (in terms of overall layout with menus and buttons). Sure it's click heavy and has a lot of room for improvement, but it is on their to-do list this year. A lot of UI 2.0 work was actually the programming behind the scenes, not the actual interface and it's coded way better than the old UI which had become something of a nightmare for them to work around any longer.

#3332 Calebos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 06:21 AM

GUI ...

1. Chatting. Possible whereever you need to communicate. Several options: whisper/global chat/Team/Lance/etc., ... customizable chat window working through all user interface so you dont need to click several times to several icons.
2. in many cases there is not neccessary to accept all Cancels or Accepts so the navigation is able to be much quicker(just one small example: Public Match-> queing-> aborting-> accept abort, the last step is not neccessary. It sounds like minor problem but when you need to do it through whole gui field for every communication with game system it is very frustrating. There is of course several thing as buying, etc. ... , that needs this. In this case I fully agree with currect concept).
3. MechLab: drag and drop is your friend. Believe me. It is very quick and efficient. Current slotting and changing stuff is a bit slow.

I know this topic is just for quick Answer/Respond purpose but i am very occupied CG guy and to be honest I dont want to recommend anything which is just my opinion or sense but believe me all I describbed works well commonly. So delete my post if needed. No offence. :)

And back to on topic: Shadows. It is mapped? It looks like that. All shadow maps have very low resolution so any kind of realtime filtering doesn't help with chucky look. I would appreciate to look it better. :)

#3333 aGentleWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 254 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 06:37 AM

Hi so i read thru some pages of this topic, and decided to post some questions from my side too.

Meanwhile play more and more of that game, sometimes succesfull but usually ... lets say average.

I have problems to destroy enemy mechs, and i do really not get why.
I often encounter mechs which are lighter armed and armored then me, frontally, i aim, shoot, do some dmg, but get killed by them although I expect to be heavier armed and better armored.

I know meanwhile that to kill Head or CT, or both legs have to be destroyed.
I aim for that, and meanwhile I twist my torso to make my CT heavier to hit.
Very often without success.
What else could be my mistake?

Could it be my internet connection? It shows a 120ping, but i see often mechs warping while traversing in front of me,teammates appearing suddenly in line of fire in chokepoints...

My most successfull weapons are missiles so far, sometimes lasers work, but for example PPC make nice effects on the mechs i have targeted but on after battle report it says DMG = 69.... WTF!!!

I also make very very few kills which now while we have the 24 Operation is frustrating.
Is that bad luck or also could be caused by lag? Maybe when multiple players shoot at same time at target, the one with faster ping gets the kill?

I mean that sounds like tinfoil theories, but that weekend I did 2 kills in 3 hours, while i needed 3 matches to get 24 assists.
Meanwhile i start to raise my average dmg, battles with dmg > 400 happen regularly, but still kills are rare.
I even managed to do a dmg > 700 game without kills.
When my Stalker 4N with 4 large lasers encountered a cataphract frontally - i was dead .... long before my heat reached critical.

Anymore hints on gameplay for me?
How could i classify & improve my performance?
Do I choose some especially hard tomaster mechs? (I prefer to play with style so I get the ones visually appealing)
I get most reward currently with catapult c1 as supporter. The K version is usually dead meat in my hands.
I start to improve my gameplay with hunchbacks.
I love my locust where I try to draw attention or get some few picks with ML or shoot LRm 5x2 from behind and run at once away I get attacked...

Edited by aGentleWarrior, 16 February 2015 - 08:00 AM.

#3334 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:43 AM

View PostaGentleWarrior, on 16 February 2015 - 06:37 AM, said:

Hi so i read thru some pages of this topic, and decided to post some questions from my side too.

Meanwhile play more and more of that game, sometimes succesfull but usually ... lets say average.

I have problems to destroy enemy mechs, and i do really not get why.
I often encounter mechs which are lighter armed and armored then me, frontally, i aim, shoot, do some dmg, but get killed by them although I expect to be heavier armed and better armored.

1) I know meanwhile that to kill Head or CT, or both legs have to be destroyed.
I aim for that, and meanwhile I twist my torso to make my CT heavier to hit.
Very often without success.
What else could be my mistake?

2) Could it be my internet connection? It shows a 120ping, but i see often mechs warping while traversing in front of me,teammates appearing suddenly in line of fire in chokepoints...

3) My most successfull weapons are missiles so far, sometimes lasers work, but for example PPC make nice effects on the mechs i have targeted but on after battle report it says DMG = 69.... WTF!!!

4) I also make very very few kills which now while we have the 24 Operation is frustrating.
Is that bad luck or also could be caused by lag? Maybe when multiple players shoot at same time at target, the one with faster ping gets the kill?

5) I mean that sounds like tinfoil theories, but that weekend I did 2 kills in 3 hours, while i needed 3 matches to get 24 assists.
Meanwhile i start to raise my average dmg, battles with dmg > 400 happen regularly, but still kills are rare.
I even managed to do a dmg > 700 game without kills.
When my Stalker 4N with 4 large lasers encountered a cataphract frontally - i was dead .... long before my heat reached critical.

Anymore hints on gameplay for me?
How could i classify & improve my performance?
Do I choose some especially hard tomaster mechs? (I prefer to play with style so I get the ones visually appealing)
I get most reward currently with catapult c1 as supporter. The K version is usually dead meat in my hands.
I start to improve my gameplay with hunchbacks.
I love my locust where I try to draw attention or get some few picks with ML or shoot LRm 5x2 from behind and run at once away I get attacked...

1) this is possibly based on lag see 2). also it is not the size of the Mech, e.g. many times I have taken down a fresh Atlas (100 ton) in a SDR-5K (30 ton), the 5K is widely considered to be one of the worst Mechs in the game, it has little armor and is armed with 1 ER Large Laser and 4 Machine Guns while an Atlas will usualy have something along the lines of 2 Lasers, an AC20 and 3 SRM6, also this could be down to skill, the number or power of the weapons does not matter if the other player has friends or is a better shot.

2) I used to get this a lot when I was playing wirelessly, my ping is usualy between 100 and 110, with a network cable plugged in this stopped happening, are you using WiFi and can you try a network cable instead?

3) weapon hits are server authoritative (the server decided if you hit or not), it can look like you hit but because of lag the server thinks you missed, this does not happen with LRMs, again as with 2) this could be a connection problem

4) it could be luck, it could be lag, it could be that (as oftern happens) better players are on, and player behavior is more selfish because of the challenge

5) you are not the only person this happens to. a few weeks ago there was a challenge to win a Cataphract, the rules were you get 1 point for each match in which you get at least 1 kill, 1 assist and win the match, 30 points and you win a CFT-3D(C) after 2 weekends of this challenge it got to about 10 PM on the Sunday with the challenge finishing before I would get home from work on the Monday, and I still needed 9 points despite having played about 115 games, at one point I had a 26 game loosing streak during that challenge, most of those matches I had been getting kills and assists but not winning.

#3335 Vlad Striker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:58 AM

No it's not about ping it's about IP packet loss or bad hit registration. Sometimes I'm inputing 100-120 dmg into enemy cener torso but it;s only change color from yellow to orange. Then hit reg is good I'm reaping 4-5 kills. So this game is about divine dices rolling :)))

#3336 aGentleWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 254 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:09 PM

yes i use wifi, however i thought distance germany / canada could be more problematic...

#3337 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:58 PM

View PostaGentleWarrior, on 16 February 2015 - 12:09 PM, said:

yes i use wifi, however i thought distance germany / canada could be more problematic...

seriously I was having desynchs and bad lag about 1 game in 5 over WiFi but after I put in a hardwired connection it has only happened twice in about 8 months, and about 2,000 games

#3338 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:16 AM

It sounds like your problem isn't just lag but varying lag which could totally be wireless related.

#3339 aGentleWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 254 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:31 AM

Well, i play also World Of Tanks, World of Warplanes (nowadays less, because of mwo) but there such problems are rare, happen too but really rare, however for wargaming games i connect to their european servers.

EDIT: in wargaming titles you see ping and a packet loss indicator light indicating packet loss with green/yellow/red. And of course tanks and airplanes warp also sometimes around, or you just notice that your vehicle doesnt response as expected. But as said, that happens not so often like MWO for me.

Maybe i will give the cable a try, just for curiosity, however as i am non competitve player and often just grind some mechs in my bed...
:)
THX again for your patient answers!

Edited by aGentleWarrior, 17 February 2015 - 03:41 AM.

#3340 Arkroma

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:21 AM

View PostaGentleWarrior, on 16 February 2015 - 06:37 AM, said:

Could it be my internet connection? It shows a 120ping, but i see often mechs warping while traversing in front of me,teammates appearing suddenly in line of fire in chokepoints...

That, gentleman, is very possible a network problem. I kinda of forget how WOT or WOWS displays it but in War Thunder you will see the packet loss ratio, meaning some information from your computer did not reach the server. 10% or 12% is okay-ish but 20% is unplayable. One way of see if you have packet loss problem is to observe your team mate, see if they walk in smooth motion. If they warping/jumping/flashing around, that's bad. When servers don't receive your information, they tend to do very bad assumptions. Also in this case what you see may be very diffrent with what servers see, so yeah your shots will miss and stuff like that.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users