10297 replies to this topic

#7741 Mechwarrior Ellis

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 46 posts
  • LocationLoitering on Outreach.

Posted 03 June 2017 - 12:15 PM

Good answer bro. Thanks.

I was trying to avoid the whole "which mech is best for noobs?" thang. But at the same time, I didn't want to steer my buddy down the wrong path.

#7742 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:19 PM

View PostMechwarrior Ellis, on 03 June 2017 - 12:15 PM, said:

Good answer bro. Thanks.

I was trying to avoid the whole "which mech is best for noobs?" thang. But at the same time, I didn't want to steer my buddy down the wrong path.

Hunchies are generally good and they can easily last you for life,
Spoiler

It's not the only mech, of course, but it is that dynamic range of usefulness, its tanky nature, and low starting costs that really have them high on the suggestions list.

Edited by Koniving, 03 June 2017 - 01:20 PM.

#7743 Lorcryst NySell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 533 posts
  • LocationBetween Chair and Keyboard

Posted 03 June 2017 - 02:14 PM

View PostKoniving, on 03 June 2017 - 01:19 PM, said:

Hunchies are generally good and they can easily last you for life

So many times this.

The humble 50t IS Hunchback has a variant for all styles of loadouts, with most of the time one big battery, and arms/head ... ballistics, missiles, lasers, only ECM is missing.

And in my humble opinion, if someone can only buy a single MechPack, it should be the Hunchback Mastery Pack ...

Hero with +30% CBs and Gauss bonuses, ballistics/lasers
Champion with +30% XPs 9 energy
4SP, 4 energy 2 missile, tanking bonuses

Mechs Bays and stuff for the above.

Those three 'Mechs can teach you three styles of play, the use of the three groups of weapons, how to manage heat, torso twist, arms, shielding, asymetric builds, movement, and more.

To the point that after each patch, my first games are always with my Hunchies ... I'm back in them at the moment ! Posted Image

#7744 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 02:38 PM

(I personally avoid mastery packs out of personal preference). I do agree with the rest of the sentiment though.

The Clan's HBK IIC is fairly similar to the HBK, with more DPS-focused autocannons unless you use the LBX.

Another good example of a Hunchback-esque mech on the Clan side is the Huntsman.
The upcoming Uziel is also likely to be the IS version of the Huntsman in terms of dynamic playstyle adaptability.

In general, 50 to 55 tons make good starting mechs. However even before quirks, the small stature, strong starting armor, fantastic hitboxes, and even its initially slow nature all come together to make it great right out of the box.

Just unlike what I did here, (691 damage, pure stock 4H, multiple kills 2013) change the heatsinks to doubles.

They make great fun to play in Hunchpacks.

#7745 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:05 PM

So I opened a supply cache and got a Dragon's Breath. Pretty sure it isn't the space platform missile launcher or the merc unit as Sarna talks about, so can someone clue me in?

I was thinking it was a color or decal etc, but I don't see it listed there either.

**Nevermind on the colors. I was being unobservant.**
Speaking of colors, does it not display the name when you hover over them? Thinking it did before, but could be wrong.

Edited by Nick Makiaveli, 03 June 2017 - 03:12 PM.

#7746 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:10 PM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 03 June 2017 - 03:05 PM, said:

So I opened a supply cache and got a Dragon's Breath. Pretty sure it isn't the space platform missile launcher or the merc unit as Sarna talks about, so can someone clue me in?

I was thinking it was a color or decal etc, but I don't see it listed there either.

Speaking of colors, does it not display the name when you hover over them? Thinking it did before, but could be wrong.

I'm almost certain that is a decal option. Make sure you have your decals sorting set to the correct thing. It's default is "New" and "All". Change that to "All" and "Owned" instead. If it's there, you'll see it.

Otherwise, I just don't know what else a "Dragon's Breath" may be...

#7747 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:17 PM

View PostTesunie, on 03 June 2017 - 03:10 PM, said:

I'm almost certain that is a decal option. Make sure you have your decals sorting set to the correct thing. It's default is "New" and "All". Change that to "All" and "Owned" instead. If it's there, you'll see it.

Otherwise, I just don't know what else a "Dragon's Breath" may be...

I finally found a reference on the forums. It is a decal and it's from the unit of the same name on Sarna.

FYI searching for anything dragon related on these forums is not fun if you aren't talking about the mech.

PS: How immature is it for me to put the decal on my mech's lower back? Like really low. On the plus side my son thought it was hilarious.

#7748 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:13 PM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 03 June 2017 - 03:17 PM, said:

I finally found a reference on the forums. It is a decal and it's from the unit of the same name on Sarna.

FYI searching for anything dragon related on these forums is not fun if you aren't talking about the mech.

PS: How immature is it for me to put the decal on my mech's lower back? Like really low. On the plus side my son thought it was hilarious.

About as immature as talking about Robot Jocks and a mech chainsaw.
If you're not sure, google it.
If you consider that immature, well yeah And if you think it's awesome, well yeah.

I'm sure it'd help if you had a rear mounted flamer.

#7749 Mechwarrior Ellis

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:12 PM

We played 9 matches in group queue. I made an alt account to run in a group with my buddy thinking my starting a lower tier with him would put us against lower tiered competition. WRONG. We didn't win a single match and played against teams like HHoD, LORS. The closest was a 12-9 loss.

I guess group queue is the only way to guarantee we will be on the same team??? I've seen pugs where people from the same unit are one a team albeit in different lances. Does the pug queue take units into account?

#7750 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:38 PM

View PostMechwarrior Ellis, on 03 June 2017 - 06:12 PM, said:

We played 9 matches in group queue. I made an alt account to run in a group with my buddy thinking my starting a lower tier with him would put us against lower tiered competition. WRONG. We didn't win a single match and played against teams like HHoD, LORS. The closest was a 12-9 loss.

I guess group queue is the only way to guarantee we will be on the same team??? I've seen pugs where people from the same unit are one a team albeit in different lances. Does the pug queue take units into account?

Group queue tries to accommodate PSR rankings, but often can not. So you will often still drop against people well above your groups PSR levels...

As far as same unit tags in solo quick play, random luck to be honest combined with unit mates with the same/similar PSR ranks.

#7751 Mechwarrior Ellis

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:42 PM

Oh well. One way to get better is to play against better players, I guess.

Thanks.

#7752 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:24 PM

View PostMechwarrior Ellis, on 03 June 2017 - 06:42 PM, said:

Thanks.

Do what you can, as best as you can. Stick with the team, and after you die (if you die), observer your teammates after your death. Sometimes you can learn little tricks that may help you later. If you see someone who seems to do well, take notes.

PS: Try not to blame your team. Remember, you are part of that team too... (I say this because it's annoying and I just got out of a match where someone blamed the team for the loss...)

#7753 Mechwarrior Ellis

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:02 PM

I hate the blame game and refuse to play it.

#7754 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:13 AM

Do Range nodes do anything to missile spread? Like would SRM6 with 15% range node work same way at 270m as normal SRM6? If so would it mean that at 310m range 15% range SRM's would have even bigger spread than normal ones at 270m?

#7755 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:08 AM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 04 June 2017 - 02:13 AM, said:

Do Range nodes do anything to missile spread? Like would SRM6 with 15% range node work same way at 270m as normal SRM6? If so would it mean that at 310m range 15% range SRM's would have even bigger spread than normal ones at 270m?

I tried SRM range modules on the old skill tree to see what they did, basicly, as I expected, the SRMs seemed to keep spreading out so the old SRM range modules were useless on the 4 or 6.

I suspect they work the same with the new skill tree, although I could be wrong.

#7756 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:15 AM

View PostKoniving, on 03 June 2017 - 04:13 PM, said:

About as immature as talking about Robot Jox and a mech chainsaw.
If you're not sure, google it.
If you consider that immature, well yeah And if you think it's awesome, well yeah.

I'm sure it'd help if you had a rear mounted flamer.

For the lazy (Also I thought I was remembering this wrong but clearly not)

#7757 Robaxacet

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSteel Tower

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:15 AM

I was out of town for the skill tree roll-out so now I am playing catch up, so sorry if this has been asked already. Question: If you have an ECM mech is it worth skilling into Radar Dep too?

#7758 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:20 AM

View PostMechwarrior Ellis, on 03 June 2017 - 06:42 PM, said:

Thanks.

There is some solace. You can use the "LFG" to group up with even more players to form a bigger group for a coordination advantage.
Or you can leap in as two players for a tonnage advantage; sadly this doesn't really pay off unless you're both using assault mechs or really heavy mechs, and then get grouped with many more like yourself (as you'll massively 'outweigh' the opposition whose coordination would have to be their edge against your superior health and weight and firepower).

Of course sometimes you're in the group with the bigger coordinated team, so yeah. Just ask in comms if they're willing to coordinate and what they want you to do.

If you pair up with an ally using an assault mech or a heavy mech that has ECM, you'll have a much easier time getting around without the enemy focusing your weak points as readily.

#7759 R E S P E K

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:20 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 04 June 2017 - 04:08 AM, said:

I tried SRM range modules on the old skill tree to see what they did, basicly, as I expected, the SRMs seemed to keep spreading out so the old SRM range modules were useless on the 4 or 6.

I suspect they work the same with the new skill tree, although I could be wrong.

Correct. Not so bad on mechs that inherently have tighter groupings but not worth chasing in general

#7760 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:13 PM

View PostRobaxacet, on 04 June 2017 - 07:15 AM, said:

I was out of town for the skill tree roll-out so now I am playing catch up, so sorry if this has been asked already. Question: If you have an ECM mech is it worth skilling into Radar Dep too?

did you consider it worthwhile on the old skill tree? if so it should still be worthwhile.

With the new skill tree to get the full effect of the old radar deprivation module you need to unlock all the nodes for radar deprivation, but to get all of it you have to unlock most of the sensors skill tree, I think there are 5 nodes total for loosing a lock about 3 seconds faster than you would without, so if that is correct each node helps you loose a lock about 0.6 seconds faster.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users