#7781 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:46 AM

View PostTesunie, on 13 June 2017 - 08:13 AM, said:

OH! Quick question for mech build theorists...

I am contemplating purchasing the Arctic Wolf pack as I see it as a lighter (and faster) alternative to my Huntsmen, which can come in handy for group play with those tonnage restrictions. Do people think I could get a build similar to these on it with any reasonable cooling?

MWO:Mechlab - HMN-PRIME (Maybe with LRM10s instead of 15s?)
MWO:Mechlab - PAKHET

Just wondering is all, as it's not on Smurfy yet and I don't have any other mech creator thingy to work with... Posted Image

if my maths are correct you will be 8 tons short if you want full jets, 6.5 with half jets or 5 with no jets, it can make the builds in terms of hardpoints but you will not have the tonage available for cooling and jumping, especialy if you also want ECM.

#7782 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:35 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 13 June 2017 - 08:46 AM, said:

if my maths are correct you will be 8 tons short if you want full jets, 6.5 with half jets or 5 with no jets, it can make the builds in terms of hardpoints but you will not have the tonage available for cooling and jumping, especialy if you also want ECM.

What about something with a little... less LRM and ammo? And yes, it probably would have either full JJ, or part JJ and ECM, at least in theory.

I'm just wondering what to expect from it, and if it could do what I want it to do. Not really theory crafting builds... I kinda fell in love with the Huntsmen and LRM Jump shooting... Figured if I could mix that onto a light chassis it would be better for my team. (This is planning without including "new tech", as I don't know how that would work yet.)

Right now I have three theory builds for the Arctic Wolf if I got it.
Prime(S): 4 ERMLs, 2 LRM10s. With 6 JJs.
Prime: Probably ATM boat... with JJs and ECM...? (Not asking advice on this one.)
A: Probably make this almost a "Stock+". 2 ERMLs, 2 SRM6s, 2 LRM10s. ECM and 3 JJs.
P: 2 ERLLs, 3 SRM4s.

Mostly, just wondering if I am expecting too much from those with programs that may be able to figure it out.

#7783 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:12 PM

I would actually suggest small pulse instead of mediums as backup weaponry. Lotta folk try an close with a missile mech, an having a six small pulse spread would make one a light hunter who merely assists with the missile rain whilst waiting for the brawl an guarding the flank. It's a fun little niche to play around with, seeing how many mechs you can hold off on the flank as a deterrent.

~Leone.

#7784 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:40 PM

View PostLeone, on 13 June 2017 - 12:12 PM, said:

I would actually suggest small pulse instead of mediums as backup weaponry. Lotta folk try an close with a missile mech, an having a six small pulse spread would make one a light hunter who merely assists with the missile rain whilst waiting for the brawl an guarding the flank. It's a fun little niche to play around with, seeing how many mechs you can hold off on the flank as a deterrent.

~Leone.

I have tried something like that, and quickly ended up missing the added range of the ERMLs. I tend to stay at a good mid range most times, so the ability to jump and unload all my weapons is a bit more appealing.

Though, I'm sure the SPL alternative is just as deadly if not more in some ways. As you said, would definitely make people think twice before charging the "LRM boats".

I do have to admit though, I don't see my 4 ERMLs as back up weapons... They can deal almost as much damage as the LRMs can. Actually, I find I probably do about 50% of my damage with my lasers most times (though I can't prove the actual real percentages, as weapon damage is not relevant per mech Posted Image ). I figured for a 50 ton mech, 4 ERMLs was respectable direct fire on it's own, then with the added 30 LRMs on top of that can be some serious firepower. Has worked very well so far.

#7785 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:30 AM

So I finally replaced my computer, and after getting the game reinstalled I copied my old profile across to the new computer. But now the mech selection screen is just showing the default portraits for all of my mechs. I'm pretty sure this isn't a problem that came up with the latest patch since that was a month ago - so what did I do wrong and how do I undo it?

#7786 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:11 AM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 15 June 2017 - 06:30 AM, said:

So I finally replaced my computer, and after getting the game reinstalled I copied my old profile across to the new computer. But now the mech selection screen is just showing the default portraits for all of my mechs. I'm pretty sure this isn't a problem that came up with the latest patch since that was a month ago - so what did I do wrong and how do I undo it?

go into the cammo spec lab for each Mech (you do not have to change anything) then the portrait will reflect the loadout and cammo spec.
edit
it does not show the correct cammo on the portrait until you have gone into the loadout on that computer

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 15 June 2017 - 07:12 AM.

#7787 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:38 AM

I was crossing the bridge on Frozen City, randomly kicking the puny trucks aside in my MAD IIC-A and got to wondering:

Is there a reference for the heights of each mech? I have the Mech Factory app but I cannot find that piece of information.

"Far Country" by Peter L. Rice, for example, shows Locusts as 20 ft tall.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Gibson Ibanez, 15 June 2017 - 10:45 AM.

#7788 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:54 AM

View PostGibson Ibanez, on 15 June 2017 - 10:38 AM, said:

I was crossing the bridge on Frozen City, randomly kicking the puny trucks aside in my MAD IIC-A and got to wondering:

Is there a reference for the heights of each mech? I have the Mech Factory app but I cannot find that piece of information.

"Far Country" by Peter L. Rice, for example, shows Locusts as 20 ft tall.

Thank you in advance.

Lore wise, sarna has all the info you'd want. In game size I'm not sure.

EDIT: Maybe it doesn't, now that I'm combing through some articles.

Edited by Roughneck45, 15 June 2017 - 10:59 AM.

#7789 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:12 AM

"Far Country" by Peter L. Rice, for example says Locusts as 20 ft tall.

Thank you in advance.

There isn't, really. But in general 'Mechs are canonically between 7 and 15 meters Tall OR Long. 20 feet tall would put a Locust at 6.096 meters tall.

The 1st Somerset Strikers companion book's end section elaborates on the inconsistencies with the cartoons, of special note is that in the novels, announces that many of the fictional narrators (aka characters that tell their stories) can be unreliable. One such example is as he's telling you his tale he might claim he was calm when he's defecated himself in the heat of battle. Another is that often narrators might exaggerate the size of a 'Mech either for personal glory or out of fear. Pay attention to the mental state the narrators are in, it should give you a hint.

While I can't recall the book, one specific example claims that an Annihilator was a 26 meter tall behemoth.
Meanwhile in the timeline, the tallest 'Mech until 3065 is 14.4 meters. Here's something fun.
Go here.
http://www.mrinitial...compsizes.xhtml
Use this code.
Locust|male|609.6_Average height|male|188.0_Tallest BT mech|male|1440_MWO Atlas|male|1760_SHK BT|male|963_SHK MWO|male|150
Posted Image
  • The first is your Locust (the one you described not MWO's) (6.096 meters).
  • The second is an average male (6'2").
  • The third is the Executioner, BT (14.4 meters; Battletech's tallest mech until 3065)
  • The fourth is MWO's Atlas at 17.6 meters (note Atlas's typical height in BT is between "13" and "15" meters, including narrator exaggeration.)
  • The Fifth is BT's Shadowhawk SHK-2D, but it must be noted that the SHK-5s are much larger than the SHK-2s, due to significantly more internal space being required and the role changing from scout mech to actual combat (the 5 series is supposed to be 2 meters taller give or take .
  • The last is MWO's current height for the SHK (Shadowhawk).

Edited by Koniving, 15 June 2017 - 11:58 AM.

#7790 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:22 AM

For MWO's heights:
http://i.imgur.com/g7JDxEu.png

#7791 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:50 AM

Thank you very much.

#7792 Spangle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 110 posts
  • LocationNorthumberland, UK

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:20 PM

Is it possible to earn GSP after you have spent them? (not that I've touched mine... yet)

Was just thinking we got GSP from module refunds etc but once its gone thats it?

Mech XP is for that Mech but we gain a percentage of that in GXP we can spend on any mech (do wish there was a way to only transfer a certain amount of GXP to XP rather than spending a whole 800 just to gain a SP as I always seem to be 20XP short lol)

So is there a way that GSP is earned that I've missed or will PGI be putting GSP as prizes in events and/or get a GSP and 45,000 c-bills in supply caches?

#7793 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:10 PM

View PostRoughneck45, on 15 June 2017 - 10:54 AM, said:

Lore wise, sarna has all the info you'd want. In game size I'm not sure.

EDIT: Maybe it doesn't, now that I'm combing through some articles.

Much factory app for android (anything not Apple) by Battletech.rpg.hu has far more data. It pulls directly from TROs, has loadout placement, a very simple a.i. "skirmish Sim", planets, vehicles, battle armor, factions, components, rules regarding them, a make your own mech editor (limit 10 builds on free version).
Supposedly it goes into a FW style campaign with other players but I havent figured out how to do the roster.

Much = mech. Phone and lunch at work... Good luck! Be prepared to learn things like Machine guns that jam and overheat, cooling tubes that jam if the unit melees with that arm/weapon, etc.
Edit: (On an actual computer now.)

Some examples:
The Goliath has machine guns with exceptional accuracy and ability to shoot straight down at infantry that might be running among its feet (great as an anti-swarm weapon, pity ATATs didn't have that; they might not be taken out by a single guy with a lightsaber and a batman grappling gun.)

The Panther 9R has 3 heatsinks in the right arm dedicated specifically to the Lord's Light PPC, reducing its heat generation significantly. At least thats what it says, but for some reason the layout does not have the heatsinks in the arm. The cooling tubes going through the elbow tend to pinch if the right arm is used for melee, effectively adding +1 heat to the weapon for each use.

Atlas D, D-DC and S lack a cooling jacket in their AC/20, so instead of 7 heat per use it is 9 heat per use.

Mongoose CT and HD lasers ignore its own movement penalties when firing via the Stable Weapon design quirk. However, the CT laser rests very close to the engine and the cooling jacket is good for 100 uses for the ML, 25 uses for the ER LL variant. After 50 or 13 uses, it becomes a "Poor Cooling Jacket" for +1 heat per use. At the full 100 or 25 uses the cooling jacket is fried and it endures "No Cooling Jacket" for +2 heat per use.

Plenty to discover out there.

Edited by Koniving, 17 June 2017 - 08:31 AM.

#7794 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:17 PM

View PostSpangle, on 15 June 2017 - 04:20 PM, said:

Is it possible to earn GSP after you have spent them? (not that I've touched mine... yet)

Was just thinking we got GSP from module refunds etc but once its gone thats it?

Mech XP is for that Mech but we gain a percentage of that in GXP we can spend on any mech (do wish there was a way to only transfer a certain amount of GXP to XP rather than spending a whole 800 just to gain a SP as I always seem to be 20XP short lol)

So is there a way that GSP is earned that I've missed or will PGI be putting GSP as prizes in events and/or get a GSP and 45,000 c-bills in supply caches?

As far as I know (and I could be wrong), GSP and HSP are all one time things from the refund. Once spent, they will be gone. But, seen as they can't be spent on anything else, might as well use them, right?

It is very possibly that PGI may include GSPs as a potential prize in supply cashes as well as possible event rewards. However, that has not been shown to be the case (yet).

#7795 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:09 PM

View PostKoniving, on 15 June 2017 - 11:12 AM, said:

There isn't, really. But in general 'Mechs are canonically between 7 and 15 meters Tall OR Long. 20 feet tall would put a Locust at 6.096 meters tall.

The 1st Somerset Strikers companion book's end section elaborates on the inconsistencies with the cartoons, of special note is that in the novels, announces that many of the fictional narrators (aka characters that tell their stories) can be unreliable. One such example is as he's telling you his tale he might claim he was calm when he's defecated himself in the heat of battle. Another is that often narrators might exaggerate the size of a 'Mech either for personal glory or out of fear. Pay attention to the mental state the narrators are in, it should give you a hint.

While I can't recall the book, one specific example claims that an Annihilator was a 26 meter tall behemoth.
Meanwhile in the timeline, the tallest 'Mech until 3065 is 14.4 meters. Here's something fun.
Go here.
http://www.mrinitial...compsizes.xhtml
Use this code.
Locust|male|609.6_Average height|male|188.0_Tallest BT mech|male|1440_MWO Atlas|male|1760_SHK BT|male|963_SHK MWO|male|150
Posted Image
  • The first is your Locust (the one you described not MWO's) (6.096 meters).
  • The second is an average male (6'2").
  • The third is the Executioner, BT (14.4 meters; Battletech's tallest mech until 3065)
  • The fourth is MWO's Atlas at 17.6 meters (note Atlas's typical height in BT is between "13" and "15" meters, including narrator exaggeration.)
  • The Fifth is BT's Shadowhawk SHK-2D, but it must be noted that the SHK-5s are much larger than the SHK-2s, due to significantly more internal space being required and the role changing from scout mech to actual combat (the 5 series is supposed to be 2 meters taller give or take .
  • The last is MWO's current height for the SHK (Shadowhawk).

IMHO, and I don't know that this is true, I don't think the MWO art assets dept uses any reference heights either. Not consistently. I mean yes, there is the tonnage scale standardization and all, but I don't think they factor in things like "pilot size" into "cockpit size/location". But i mean that is whatevs.

The greater sin IMHO, is that there is NO size reference scaling used in maps. At all. Not even consistently within the same map. Given how tall the MWO mechs are compared to a human (which, even if not strictly canonical, is fine, because these things are not real)... some of those cars (just plain consumer type city cars) are the right size, and some are way too huge to be driven by a human. Some of those buildings have absolutely ridiculously huge doors on every apartment unit; most of the buildings are ridiculously sized for having only three visible floors.

Trees are completely incomprehensible. Of course in TT, you had things like heavily and lightly wooded hexes providing different amounts of cover (presumably obscuring mechs, but also presumably and paradoxically not taking into account any size differences at all)... like wise buildings of different height, usually as tall or taller than a mech (with the same paradoxical treatment of mech size).

Those two lane roads, by scale, are the widest lanes ever contemplated for city travel. Some of those industrial equipment machines I could buy into being larger than normal for mech loading type purposes/loader and industrial and agromech use... but some just make no sense. Even some of the environments make no sense... like, is this really intended for mech travel, or for an actual city? And why would it be intended for a mech? This looks like a residential apartment, this looks like and administrative building, this looks like... a fort? What? Why is there a power plant here... I thought this was a port city... and why is it so close to residences... what the hell is going on?

Maybe reading too much into it, but I mean... THAT is immersion (not to mention scale making any kind of sense at all).

It's like some parts of it are scaled for "yes these robots are huge" and some parts are scaled for "well, you're kinda a first person shootery game", and the whole thing just ends up being confused... not immersive at all, and just... odd.

#7796 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 908 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:08 AM

How fast do I need to be to outrun LRM's? I've heard 120kph but I can't do it in 129kph Ice Ferret.

#7797 Lorcryst NySell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 533 posts
  • LocationBetween Chair and Keyboard

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:22 AM

Well ...I know that I've been able to dodge some LRMs by going backwards at 65 kph, so I think it has more to do with the direction you're moving in in relation to the direction the LRMs are coming from ...

#7798 kyfire

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:07 AM

View PostLorcryst NySell, on 17 June 2017 - 08:22 AM, said:

Well ...I know that I've been able to dodge some LRMs by going backwards at 65 kph, so I think it has more to do with the direction you're moving in in relation to the direction the LRMs are coming from ...

Running backwards only works went you aare near the max range of the LRMs. The best method is to break the lock by cover unless of course you're NARCed, in which case you can only hope to either get outside their max range or get closer than 180 meters of the LURMER.

#7799 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:11 AM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 17 June 2017 - 06:08 AM, said:

How fast do I need to be to outrun LRM's? I've heard 120kph but I can't do it in 129kph Ice Ferret.

You can't outrun LRMs going forward.
You need to make LRMs turn.
Normal LRMs can make 8 course corrections. Artemis LRMs can make 12 course corrections.

#7800 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:13 AM

Yeah if you run directly away from LRMs, they will hit your legs.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users