• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:53 PM

View PostSon of the Flood, on 13 November 2017 - 02:29 PM, said:

Hi All

Question - is there a way to "mute all" chat, other than clicking the volume icon beside everyone's name on the pre-match screen?

Thanks in advance!

in settings there are options to enable/disable lance, team and all chat (chat refering to the text chat).

There are also simular settings for VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) voice chat, but bear in mind MWO is a team game, if you disable means of communicating with your team you will put yourself at a disadvantage

#8242 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:07 AM

View PostDavidStarr, on 13 November 2017 - 12:52 AM, said:

I have not played Atlas or Annihilator (except for trial Atlas - didn't like it much). I have played DWF, Kodiak and Basnhee (almost 100 tons). 6x UAC/2 or 6x LB-X 2 DWF is awesome and crazy powerful, but what emphasis on energy were you speaking of?
KDK-3 is also super powerful, and not hot at all. I tried quad UAC/10 and quad LB-X 10, both shred. The other Kodiaks didn't seem half as good to me, they lack firepower. LRM Spirit Bear can be fun, though Posted Image

Actually, I found as well that Dire Wolf builds trend largely toward ballistics spam. You certainly CAN use them for energy weapons, but that seems to be less common and in my personal opinion not as good due to the crit space limits on the beast.

The arms on the Atlas mess me up because they're almost always lower and wider than I remember at critical times. They are beefy though.

Annihilators are... interesting. I've had some good success running a dual heavy gauss quad ERML build, but their lack of top speed makes them kind of a gamble in pugs.

Kodiaks are interesting too. They go fast for 100 tonners, and that's powerful, but they're also pretty fragile compared to most IS ones. Don't count out the other variants. I have a joke Kodiak with a 99 point laservomit alpha, and most folks seem to really like the SB, though I can't seem to get it to work personally.

King Crabs are neat because they have a good balance of firepower and maneuverability. Plus the primary weapons being in the arms generally is nice since you can shoot down UAVs in a pinch to negate that LRM weakness. Plus the secondary weapon hardpoints are in a good location for hill poking. I still like Annis better, but the KGC is a fine mech.

#8243 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:15 AM

View PostSon of the Flood, on 13 November 2017 - 02:29 PM, said:

Question - is there a way to "mute all" chat, other than clicking the volume icon beside everyone's name on the pre-match screen?
If you're doing that, you are actively choosing to sabotage your team. VOIP and chat are there to allow your team to work together, and cooperation is what wins or loses matches.

Edited by Horseman, 15 November 2017 - 08:16 AM.

#8244 LEE H4RVEY

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:42 AM

Scenario: Three mechs are capping our base. Teammates ask me to run back and shoot them to block their caps. I run back in my Spider 5V and hit one of them with my er large laser.

Question: When I hit the mech, does it block the cap just for the one mech or does it block for all three? I ended up shooting and sweeping all three during the long burn because I wasn't sure.

I tried getting in the laser fence myself to block the cap in another match. I died horribly and quickly so next time I kept my distance and tried another strategy. Which led to my question.

#8245 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:44 AM

Does Narc work for ATMs?

#8246 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:19 PM

View PostLEE H4RVEY, on 16 November 2017 - 10:42 AM, said:

Scenario: Three mechs are capping our base. Teammates ask me to run back and shoot them to block their caps. I run back in my Spider 5V and hit one of them with my er large laser.

Question: When I hit the mech, does it block the cap just for the one mech or does it block for all three? I ended up shooting and sweeping all three during the long burn because I wasn't sure.

I tried getting in the laser fence myself to block the cap in another match. I died horribly and quickly so next time I kept my distance and tried another strategy. Which led to my question.

As far as I know (without testing), if you are hitting anyone within that capture square, it will stop all of their capture attempts. However, I am not completely certain about this.

It can be tested though. If you can get two friends with you, form up a private lobby and set it to Assault. Then, have your two friends stand in the box and hit one of them and see if it stops the cap. If it doesn't, then I'm wrong...

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 16 November 2017 - 11:44 AM, said:

Does Narc work for ATMs?

NARC works for ATMs in the same way they work for ALRMs. They will provide the targeting information needed to shoot them in a guided manner, but as far as I know nothing else.

Any equipment relationships between TAG, NARC and Artemis should be the same exact relationship of TAG, NARC and ATMs.

#8247 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:19 AM

View PostTesunie, on 16 November 2017 - 06:19 PM, said:

As far as I know (without testing), if you are hitting anyone within that capture square, it will stop all of their capture attempts. However, I am not completely certain about this.

It can be tested though. If you can get two friends with you, form up a private lobby and set it to Assault. Then, have your two friends stand in the box and hit one of them and see if it stops the cap. If it doesn't, then I'm wrong...

NARC works for ATMs in the same way they work for ALRMs. They will provide the targeting information needed to shoot them in a guided manner, but as far as I know nothing else.

Any equipment relationships between TAG, NARC and Artemis should be the same exact relationship of TAG, NARC and ATMs.

It stops it for everyone.

Same with domination.

#8248 Kilogold

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:26 AM

Why do so many people recommend the Hunchback as a first mech? It's an assault mech without the armor or firepower. I know they say something about torso twist to protect the shoulder cannon, but that's the side that has the armor. Even without trying to cover it with the left torso, the already inadequate ammo supply in the LT gets detonated in no time. I'm out 2 million after selling back this lemon so thanks, armchair admirals.

#8249 Lorcryst NySell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 533 posts
  • LocationBetween Chair and Keyboard

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:50 AM

View PostKilogold, on 17 November 2017 - 02:26 AM, said:

Why do so many people recommend the Hunchback as a first mech? It's an assault mech without the armor or firepower. I know they say something about torso twist to protect the shoulder cannon, but that's the side that has the armor. Even without trying to cover it with the left torso, the already inadequate ammo supply in the LT gets detonated in no time. I'm out 2 million after selling back this lemon so thanks, armchair admirals.

I'd say part nostalgia and part flexibility of the chassis.

It has problems, yes, like the "hunch" being a target and ammo placement in the stock design, but those same problems will teach you the basics of the game efficiently ... and it's relatively cheap.

More precisely, while it has armour bonuses on the right hunch, you should always present your left side, or twist madly to roll the damage all over with it. And depending on the variant, some of them will teach you valuable lessons in energy conservation, heat management, placement, poking/peeking and much more.

But I'm biaised, I love that 'Mech, it was my first random roll back in the RPG in 1992 ...

#8250 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:17 AM

Why do so many people recommend the Hunchback as a first mech? It's an assault mech without the armor or firepower. I know they say something about torso twist to protect the shoulder cannon, but that's the side that has the armor.
The basic idea is that your left side is ablative protection for your right side and CT. If you lose that, you still retain your main firepower. If you lose right side, it's far worse.

the already inadequate ammo supply in the LT gets detonated in no time.
Then why haven't you moved it? You can relocate ammo and heat sinks in the mechbay at will, for no cost.
Move the heat sinks out of the legs and put the ammo there. Spend 500K on Endo-Steel structure, this will take up some of some of your available critical slots, but free up 2.5t - you can slap op 2t of additional ammo and change out the Small Laser in your head for a Medium.

I'm out 2 million after selling back this lemon so thanks, armchair admirals.
Not a lemon, though these days I'd probably recommend an Enforcer 4P instead - comes with Endo-Steel and Double Heat Sinks stock, while being only about 600k more expensive than the Hunchback (important: DHS cost 1.5 million per chassis). Bushwackers are not bad either, but twice as expensive and come with IS XL engines (which means instant death if you lose a side torso - for a newbie, that's basically a death trap)

Edited by Horseman, 17 November 2017 - 10:32 AM.

#8251 LEE H4RVEY

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:08 PM

View PostTesunie, on 16 November 2017 - 06:19 PM, said:

That's a great idea. I will try that out. Thank you all for the answers.

#8252 BARN CAT

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:15 PM

Hi, I've got 7.1 million c-bill's in the bank, and I'm looking for an IS heavy mech. I love input, so I'm asking for yours. <yes, you, the one reading this>

I've got an IS light (RVN-3L), medium (NCIX Cent), and assault BLR-1G.

I'm not super picky about playstyles, but I'd like to be able to play it today or tomorrow without having to grind 4-5 million more c-bills for an XL or Light engine. Note: I'm perfectly willing to flip an XL for c-Bill's though.

Any thoughts on the Roughnecks in particular?

#8253 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:27 PM

Lee, this post has been edited to correct something I stated. You can find them under Edit.

View PostLEE H4RVEY, on 16 November 2017 - 10:42 AM, said:

Scenario: What you were asked to do was run back and distract the enemies, hoping you'd say...
Posted Image
And they would say...
Posted Image
And then they might stop capping in order to fight you.

---

As for an answer to your question, no. Shooting them is not enough.
The correct response to the situation is shown here. (The enemy reaction. The flashing lasers of the base perimeter let you know the cap has been halted)
...here... in this highly tactical scenario, sometime shortly after 7 minutes the enemy 8-man group resorts to a base rush, we send our lights to the base to intercept while everyone else cleans up.
...and if you got 13 minutes, this base defense here against a team of entirely mediums and lights.
And here, to know what not to do once you have defended it.

In other words, rush back to the base and engage the enemy there until reinforcements arrive.
Edit:In the first video, technically I'm standing on my own base and the enemy swarm it and I hold out until my team arrives to reinforce it. I wound up not using this video. The strike through is true for this video, not the actual first video I used. I forgot to change this description when I made the change.

Edit: In the actual first video I used, I'm part of a 4 player lance of fire support with an Atlas providing the damage sponge, two Jagermechs providing ballistic fire support and a Stalker providing missile support. We are (in the actual first video link) storming the enemy base and as true to the first description, the enemy reacts and rushes over to stop us and an all out brawl ensues.
In the second video, the lights are sent to stop the cap and engage the enemy until the heavier mechs can arrive.
In the third video, half of our team was wiped out and the lights rushed the base within the first 2 minutes of the match.
In the fourth video, we rush to stop a cap, hold out, and as we left to mop up we left one guy in good condition to stay on the base just in case. He moved one step out of the square... and the game was over.

Short-hand:
Get to your base. Engage enemies and lead them away from the square. If they do not leave the square, you must fight them from within it, whether standing there or repeatedly getting on and off of it until the enemy is dead, reinforcements come, or the match is over. It is possible you will die horribly, however this is if you are not creative about it.

Some old spider strategies have included standing on the old oil drilling platforms that used to represent bases. Running zig zags around the base. Jumping over the enemy and repeatedly shooting them in the back. Standing on top of the enemy, as some cannot shoot back at you at all. The options are as infinite as your imagination.... provided it involves... being here, inside the box.
Posted Image

Edited by Koniving, 18 November 2017 - 02:40 AM.

#8254 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:57 PM

Why do so many people recommend the Hunchback as a first mech?

Short answer:
Spoiler

So:
1) cheap.
2) Is very tough to kill.
3) Slow enough to make new players think before they act.
4) Can improve performance-wise as the player does.

Long answer.
Spoiler

Source in its original form.

Side note:

Do NOT torso twist in a Hunchback. I mean you could, but if you're twisting you're not shooting. Just funnel the armor forward instead.

It's an assault mech without the armor or firepower. I know they say something about torso twist to protect the shoulder cannon, but that's the side that has the armor. Even without trying to cover it with the left torso, the already inadequate ammo supply in the LT gets detonated in no time. I'm out 2 million after selling back this lemon so thanks, armchair admirals.

Your issue is you have not tried customizing it. The stock ammo is very limited because while in Battletech lore, a single ton of ammo would last 50 seconds of rated fire or 25 seconds of high risk double fire under the rapid fire autocannon rule... in MWO 2 tons lasts less than 20 seconds because PGI made it. No seriously, that's about the only reason.

As mentioned, slap in endo steel structure (it's 750k cbills) and you can fit another 2.5 tons of ammo in. Cut unnecessary head armor down, and there's a full 3 tons easily. Drop the small laser, there's 3.5 tons. Typically I run 3 to 5 tons of ammo on a heavily ballistic-reliant Hunchback. Otherwise 2 tons is plenty if there's some good lasers. Which variant did you bring to the field?

Also; relocate the ammo to the feet. Unless you're stuffing in some DHS or other crit-soakers there to buffer and protect the ammo, yeah it's gonna be fragile. MWO uses rolling crits as opposed to "bingo" crits, so it keeps changing where it will land until it lands on something with health. If it's just your ammo there, boom.

In the future, I advise that you ask for advice directly. That's what the armchair admirals are for. You were hit with game mechanics you didn't know about, and it seems you did not know about editing the mech. (Battletech's stock builds do NOT translate well with PGI's design choices.)

A final addition.

No skill tree, no nothing. Can be done in today's game, too.

(Again no skill tree, reasonably close to stock build).
The point is its a tough thing. It is a medium mech that has the armor of a big heavy, the firepower of a lighter heavy, and the speed of a middle-ground heavy. This by no way means you will be invincible or pwn everything you see. But used well this can do amazing things, and used poorly, well it fairs better than most machines.

Best piece of advise I can give you is focus specific body parts and shoot until they are destroyed. Too many people shoot generally at the enemy and don't understand why that doesn't work.

Edited by Koniving, 17 November 2017 - 06:18 PM.

#8255 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:29 PM

View PostBARN CAT, on 17 November 2017 - 04:15 PM, said:

Hi, I've got 7.1 million c-bill's in the bank, and I'm looking for an IS heavy mech. I love input, so I'm asking for yours. <yes, you, the one reading this>

I've got an IS light (RVN-3L), medium (NCIX Cent), and assault BLR-1G.

I'm not super picky about playstyles, but I'd like to be able to play it today or tomorrow without having to grind 4-5 million more c-bills for an XL or Light engine. Note: I'm perfectly willing to flip an XL for c-Bill's though.

Any thoughts on the Roughnecks in particular?

On suggestions:
Unlike the Hunchback mentioned above which are good at any playstyle, Heavies tend to cater to specific playstyles...and without those styles they suck terribly. So I can't recommend something off hand. Given your other mechs:

Try the Thunderbolt. It plays like a Battlemaster that is 75 tons instead of 85 tons.... despite being a 65 ton mech. 75 tons is typically the pinnacle weight for heavies with the right balance of speed potential, armor and firepower. So for a 65 tonner to play like its 75 tons is quite impressive. For the Clans the comparable mech would be the Ebon Jaguar.

As for the Roughneck... that plays like the Stalker but with ballistics. I love Stalkers... but they're 85 tons and the Roughneck is 65 tons. Stalkers are not manueverable and they are mechs that love giving face time. While the Stalker's body shape is great for that, the Roughneck is less suited. So bring as much firepower as you can and make sure it can still run cool because if you shoot heavy and hard enough you won't have to worry about them firing back; 'cause if they do.... you'll be like the other guy and probably sell it without understanding why.

This said... that god damn monitor to the right is ANNOYING if you're zoomed in and rushing into combat due to the way it bounces in and out of sight.

Another comparison: Roughneck plays like a sluggish Thunderbolt with more ballistics than lasers. Since ballistics are heavy hitters and heavy things to carry, that's both good and bad regardless of the light you shine it in.

(Also save more money before going for heavies; as I'm sure you know outfitting them isn't cheap. Thunderbolt, similar to the Hunchback, is cheap to get off the ground though and favors standard engines and LEs, though very good with an XL.)

#8256 BARN CAT

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:48 PM

View PostKoniving, on 17 November 2017 - 06:29 PM, said:

On suggestions:
Unlike the Hunchback mentioned above which are good at any playstyle, Heavies tend to cater to specific playstyles...and without those styles they suck terribly. So I can't recommend something off hand. Given your other mechs:

Try the Thunderbolt. It plays like a Battlemaster that is 75 tons instead of 85 tons.... despite being a 65 ton mech. 75 tons is typically the pinnacle weight for heavies with the right balance of speed potential, armor and firepower. So for a 65 tonner to play like its 75 tons is quite impressive. For the Clans the comparable mech would be the Ebon Jaguar.

As for the Roughneck... that plays like the Stalker but with ballistics. I love Stalkers... but they're 85 tons and the Roughneck is 65 tons. Stalkers are not manueverable and they are mechs that love giving face time. While the Stalker's body shape is great for that, the Roughneck is less suited. So bring as much firepower as you can and make sure it can still run cool because if you shoot heavy and hard enough you won't have to worry about them firing back; 'cause if they do.... you'll be like the other guy and probably sell it without understanding why.

This said... that god damn monitor to the right is ANNOYING if you're zoomed in and rushing into combat due to the way it bounces in and out of sight.

Another comparison: Roughneck plays like a sluggish Thunderbolt with more ballistics than lasers. Since ballistics are heavy hitters and heavy things to carry, that's both good and bad regardless of the light you shine it in.

(Also save more money before going for heavies; as I'm sure you know outfitting them isn't cheap. Thunderbolt, similar to the Hunchback, is cheap to get off the ground though and favors standard engines and LEs, though very good with an XL.)

Thanks, good points on the Thunderbolts. They really do make good standard-engine starter mechs. I "need" the mech to be available for the field more than I need it to be a perfect meta heavy at the moment.

Thanks Kon.

#8257 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:51 AM

View PostBARN CAT, on 17 November 2017 - 09:48 PM, said:

Thanks, good points on the Thunderbolts. They really do make good standard-engine starter mechs. I "need" the mech to be available for the field more than I need it to be a perfect meta heavy at the moment.

Thanks Kon.

You're welcome.

Though Thunderbolts once hit top meta status after PGI enjoyed throwing 50% quirks around (an absolutely insane idea btw), the recommendation is purely that because of their body shape, their manueverability, their high engine flexibility while still being awesome with their stock engine and speed, their tendancy to bounce as they walk (making headshots nearly impossible on their already off-center head), and their scrawny CT compared to their rebust yet tanky side torsos (which means after losing an ST, they become tremendous damage soaks reducing all incoming firepower that hits the destroyed CT by 60%), you wind up with a mech that can tank like the 85 ton Stalker, while possessing the extremely agile nature of the 85 ton Battlemaster, with a similar weapon hardpoint structure to the Battlemaster and the hardpoint count of a 75 ton mech...

Basically, in terms of everything, it rates good to fantastic in almost all categories. Just don't skimp too much on back armor; yes it is a phenomenal and agile mech, but it really does have a huge back that is easy to get to if you're already fighting two or three enemies or one really big enemy. (Huh, just like a Stalker, which also has a very large easy to get to backside when it comes to its CT.... and the Victor. Starting to notice a pattern here.)

Edited by Koniving, 18 November 2017 - 02:55 AM.

#8258 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:32 AM

Can any Clan play in the faction event?

#8259 Lorcryst NySell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 533 posts
  • LocationBetween Chair and Keyboard

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:38 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 23 November 2017 - 06:32 AM, said:

Yes, it's a "standard" FW event involving Clan vs Inner Sphere, so any Clan or House can participate, if the "historic" Factions were House Steiner and Clan Jade Falcon, even in The Lore Mercenaries, other Houses and other Clans were involved in the battle.

It's just an excuse to play more, really ...

#8260 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:55 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 23 November 2017 - 06:32 AM, said:

Yes. The rewards are divided up between "general" Clan / IS rewards for any faction and "Loyalist" rewards only for pilots who signed loyalty with specific factions. The latter are just cockpit items and decals.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users