Kto-18 Streak Build Help

27 replies to this topic

#1 Plaguetongue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:22 AM

what i want is a streak SRM bomber to chainfire them light mechs and this is what i came up with, what do ya think of this?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6d1e539e3998765

#2 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:23 AM

first you do NOT need that much ammo XD removed the center launcher so you can solvo the entire lot without ghost heat penalty and keeps your CT bay door shut (Improving your CT's durability slightly) added two lasers to take advantage of holes opened up by the SSRMs (mostly for shooting legs) and added the very important BAP to help counter ECM and let you fire on ECM lights (at least if there is only one, multiple ECMs stacked will keep you from locking on still) using the weight freed up by the removed SSRM2 I added a AMS and its ammo helping to defend you a bit against enemy streaktaros.

KTO-18-STRK

Edited by Xeno Phalcon, 12 October 2013 - 05:34 AM.

#3 SchwarzerPeter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 202 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:40 AM

You could ditch that AMS and put in an other SSRM2. You are fast enough to reach cover. You need to fire the SSRM2 in chainfire though, or you run into ghostheat.
The BAP is essential, otherwise ECM will render you useless.

And some backup lasers are never wrong.

Personally i would run something like this: KTO-18 Some good old SRM backup against larger targets.

#4 rdmgraziel

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:17 AM

Streak boating like that is actually pretty deadly even against Mediums, just because of the sheer volume of streaks, but streaks are at best inefficient against larger/harder targets. Artemis is required (speeds up lock-on time), and you should always carry backup weapons if you can (i.e. 2 medium lasers). BAP is also required for anyone using lock-on weapons. For 4-5 Streaks, you're going to want to lug around a good amount of ammo, as at that point it's your primary weapon. 4-5 tons is reasonable, otherwise you'll have to back away from heavier targets just because engaging them otherwise is a waste of ammo. If the streaks were supplementary weapons and/or you had a more mixed loadout, you could afford less ammo.

Sample 1.
Sample 2.

#5 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:53 AM

The build is simple:
Max XL engine
2 MLs
5 Streaks (4T ammo)
BAP
Advanced Target Decay and 360 Target Retention modules (I don't think you need Artemis)

Go get some pay back.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:05 AM

View PostPlaguetongue, on 12 October 2013 - 05:22 AM, said:

what i want is a streak SRM bomber to chainfire them light mechs and this is what i came up with, what do ya think of this?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6d1e539e3998765

You'll need BAP to get through ECM. If you're light chasing, you're going to need a fair bit more rear armor too. Chasing lights usually means getting surrounded by heavies. You'll want that rear armor then.

Also... there's a lot of unplaced armor on the left front torso.

Consider this... which has a way to get through ECM as well as prevent enemies from shutting down to break your locks (they can still shutdown but can't break your locks) as well as an AMS, which will shoot at their streaks.

Or this, which provides you with some defense after the ammunition is gone as well as an extra heatsink.

But honestly I don't see a build based on this premise surviving more than 3 minutes of actual combat.
Good luck! Post some scores!

#7 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:09 AM

What do you do when you come against a heavy in that build? Streaks are best used as back-up weapons, boating them is a recipe for disaster.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

View PostScreech, on 12 October 2013 - 07:09 AM, said:

What do you do when you come against a heavy in that build? Streaks are best used as back-up weapons, boating them is a recipe for disaster.

Depends. With skill you triumph. Fighting head to head you die.

It's when you come against an assault that you should worry.

#9 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:56 AM

View PostScreech, on 12 October 2013 - 07:09 AM, said:

Chain fire the streaks while circling and lasering. The near constant cockpit shake from streak hits usually screws up the enemy's aiming precision. If the enemy has any damage from previous encounters (they usually do), you've got a pretty good chance to prevail, depending on pilot skill of course. It's not a fight I'd go looking for in a Streaktaro, but I usually won't back away from it either.

#10 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:25 AM

The better Streaktaro: KTO-18

5 SSRM2s, 4 tons of ammo, 2 MLs, Beagle, and not missing all the armor on an arm :D

Dang that's an expensive mech though.

#11 BluCoyote

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

I have my KTO-18 with 2 Lpulse and 4 ssrm2 XL300 BAP Ferro/Endo/Dbl HS12

Moves at 88.3 kph and alpha of 41.2 firepower Armor 356 Strk Amo 300 (never ran out)

It's an amazing mech, but very tall. Try the build out, I do 400+ in good matches and have no trouble hunting lights down or providing support. The Lpulse lasers help with consistent damage when lock is unavailable.

GL!

#12 Mabru

• PipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 23 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

I run the 5 streak 2 ML build, XL 360, BAP, and I think four tons of ammo. If you play smart and keep the throttle buried 99% of the time it can be phenomenal. I generally average 500 a match in it with some 800's and 900's thrown in. It almost feels like cheating. They really shine when you get three or four of them in a lance, four 18's (or 19's) loaded with streaks will steamroll just about anything. With all that said, a well coordinated enemy light lance will ruin your day.

Use tactics, and you will not have a problem with heavies or assaults (assaults take a while). The heavies are too slow for hit and runs and the assaults have a tough time even targeting you at 116kph. Deal with the enemy lights first, then move up the weight classes. I will generally follow up the lights in conquest games and assist them, once we get a few points and the enemy lights are down, I'll go assist the big boys.

#13 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

Ghost heat on streaks isn't really a big deal; you only generate .9 additional heat by firing the fifth launcher in a group. I run mine with 5xSSRM2s, 2xMlas, a 350XL, BAP, four tons of ammo and however many DHS it can fit, and heat isn't really a concern even without the elite bonus.

Artemis is optional but helpful; it doesn't cost you anything other than cbills and does decrease the lock on time of streaks. This is a known bug/issue, but at least for now it works.

It's actually decently effective against a lot of heavies; lack of pinpoint damage means it's tough to take one out if they haven't already taken damage, but you can pump out enough DPS to be a problem and you're fast enough that they have a hard time keeping up with you (especially with streaks' cockpit shake.) You're better off running from assaults and orions/cataphracts unless they're damaged, just because it takes forever for streaks to chew through their armor.

#14 Indoorsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 792 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:37 AM

View PostNRP, on 12 October 2013 - 06:53 AM, said:

The build is simple:
Max XL engine
2 MLs
5 Streaks (4T ammo)
BAP
Advanced Target Decay and 360 Target Retention modules (I don't think you need Artemis)

Go get some pay back.

Instead of 360, use Advanced Sensor Range. BAP negates ECM up close, but you still will have a range which you can't lock onto ECM mechs. With Advanced Sensor Range module and BAP, there's something like a 20m band which you still can't lock on but much better than w/only 1 or the other.

View PostAssaultPig, on 19 October 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

lack of pinpoint damage means it's tough to take one out if they haven't already taken damage

Go for their arms if they have lotsa weapons there or their legs. I've legged mediums/heavies w/my KTO-18 that way.

Edited by Indoorsman, 19 October 2013 - 10:39 AM.

#15 wintersborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

I just started to build a KTO 18 just for Spiders, I cant stand exploiting a broken mech gr.... but on to the build advise.

I am grinding up money for the big XL still but what I have come across allot lately is swarms of ECM spiders/commando's. Even with BAP you can not target them due to the way ECM works vs BAP some sort of back up is needed. I have never been able to scratch a Spiders paint with lasers so I was thinking of a SRM on one hard point. Anyone have luck hitting spiders with SRM's + Artemis?

Also since I still have the stock engine I am slow, so lights out run Streak range fast. Has anyone played with a LRM in one hardpint and a TAG in a arm?

Just to clarify TAG will not let you target a ECM mech up close if there are more than one ECM in range?

Why are the Kintaro's sooo dam tall : (

#16 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

I've been using this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5b5f69857bbb902
You can obviously drop heat sink or 2 for a bigger engine.
BAP for obvious reasons, TAG for obvious reasons.
ER PPC contentious, but I find that having another way to disable ECM trolling or a second ECM troll is priceless. Also the ppc gives you longer range option for when your team blobcamps. Also handy for ranged ECM troll shut down for your team's LRM boats.

So far, I have had 100% success rate vs lights. If they don't die in sub 10 secs they run like hell. the 90.7kph is enough to keep them in range of streaks for another 8-10 secs usually as well, so many die when they decide to run.
It's also handy vs other mediums and has a soft cc effect vs assaults-namely cockpit rock spam.

Keep this thread going, every ECM troll we squash is a moral victory!

#17 Indoorsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 792 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:15 AM

View Postkamiko kross, on 30 October 2013 - 08:20 AM, said:

TAG for obvious reasons.

Why have TAG in addition to BAP? If you say for lock on times, you don't have artemis which improves streak lock on time. If you say for that one time that a light with ECM is buzzing around in the dead zone between your BAP and Advanced Sensor Range module then that seems like a waste. You could lose the TAG and TWO PTS of armor and bump up to an XL300 engine. That would benefit you much more than the TAG IMO.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...82cf0ee9b94f3db

#18 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:37 PM

View Postwintersborn, on 19 October 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

I just started to build a KTO 18 just for Spiders, I cant stand exploiting a broken mech gr.... but on to the build advise.

It is enormously satisfying to catch a Spider or Jenner with a Streak-taro. The speed with which the Spider is reduced to smoking junk is quite surprising. Chain firing the SSRMs adds to the fun.

I run one with 5SSRM2, an ERLL and the biggest engine possible. Great fun.

#19 Mabru

• PipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 23 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:03 PM

You can also do this with the Shadowhawk 2D2, same speed, four SSRMs, two ML, AMS, and jump jets. The Kintaro seems harder to hit though, at least it does to me.

#20 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:16 PM

View PostIndoorsman, on 30 October 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

Why have TAG in addition to BAP? If you say for lock on times, you don't have artemis which improves streak lock on time. If you say for that one time that a light with ECM is buzzing around in the dead zone between your BAP and Advanced Sensor Range module then that seems like a waste. You could lose the TAG and TWO PTS of armor and bump up to an XL300 engine. That would benefit you much more than the TAG IMO.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...82cf0ee9b94f3db

Hmmm, I was not aware artemis affects streaks? I thought that was just for SRMS and LRMS? As for the light buzzing that's what the ppc is for:) Also note, I have no modules installed as yet.
So far, I have never had a light stay ECM'd from me.
Now a ganking ECM troll pack is another matter. Not seen one yet, thank god.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users