#1 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:15 AM

\\ \\ \\ \\ \\ CONTEST CLOSED \\ \\ \\ \\ \\

CLICK HERE FOR THE WINNERS AND CLOSING STATEMENTS!

Posted Image

Last week when Bryan was asked on twitter, "You can't make a completely redesigned Marauder?", Bryan responded with a devastating question... ". . . but the age old question - what are people's expectations?" Source.

They need our help. It's time to upgrade your mechanical pencil's internal structure and install double heat sinks onto your erasers, because it's time to melt some lead AND GIVE HIM HIS ANSWER!!!
Words aren't enough anymore - it's time to SHOW THEM what we want! Show them what your expectations are!
Help create a community inspired original mech design by creating and submitting your original Marauder concept art or design to create.a.marauder@gmail.com before November 10th 2013, 11:59PM PST (GMT -8).

FIRST PRIZE: 50 60 $70 Ultimate game card ( ~18,000+ !!! )

SECOND PRIZE: 30 35 45 $50 Ultimate game card ( 12,000 ! )

THIRD PRIZE: 15 20 25 $30 Ultimate game card ( 6,500 ! )

(Send me a message if you're interested in contributing to the prizes. Paypal only. I will update the prize amounts as often as I can. With your consent, special thanks will be given to you in the winner's announcement and when the prizes are awarded to the individuals.)

THANKS TO A RECENT DONATION, PRIZES HAVE INCREASED - OCT 29th

THANKS TO A RECENT DONATION, PRIZES HAVE INCREASED - NOV 1st

The submission section is now closed.
Spoiler

The voting section is now closed.
Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 23 November 2013 - 12:21 AM.

#2 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:18 AM

This sounds great! You should cross-post this in the fan art section, as there are many talented individuals there that may not wish to leave the relative sanctuary of their sub-forum and brave the badlands of General to see this.

#3 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:20 AM

Oo! Good idea, thank you. I'll point them this way :)

#4 CrashieJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:45 AM

Damn, I was hoping to use and modify Alex Iglesia's MWO models to cook up a kitbashed Marauder

oh well, here's an OMEGA to keep you company

Posted Image

#5 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:42 AM

Great Idea, I applaud the effort.

However, something in teh back of my mind is telling me that this particular community will somehow figure out a way to make this spiral out of control and go horribly south.

I hope I am proven wrong for a change...

#6 Randalf Yorgen

• 1,026 posts
  • Locationwith in 3m of the exposed Arcons rear ct

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:51 AM

View PostZerberus, on 19 October 2013 - 06:42 AM, said:

Great Idea, I applaud the effort.

However, something in teh back of my mind is telling me that this particular community will somehow figure out a way to make this spiral out of control and go horribly south.

I hope I am proven wrong for a change...

Oh Zerb, Nobody is screaming or yelling or BIttchhing about anything, this is just a really good Idea that could open the door to other similar Ideas in the future, nothing for anyone to get upset about here. It's also a way for those with the gift of talent to be able to show their love of the BT universe, not just MWO as the Artists will have to actually know a little of the life of the mech they are trying to create in a new way so that everyone who sees it can have that warm fuzzy.

The Fan Art section has some very talented people posting to it and I applaude anything that can help put the spotlight on their efforts and let them show off. Great work guys and gals, Great Idea OP. Hope this gets a thumbs up from PGI

#7 Damian Frost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 121 posts
  • Location....is key to business success

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

I applaud this idea, it shows great creativity and a passion for the game and lore in general. I hope that this idea takes off because there are some very talented people on these forums.

#8 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:05 AM

I would point out that the Cataphract is basically a frankenmech based on parts from the Maruader, Shadow Hawk, and Pheonix Hawk. A good rule of thumb might be to start with the phract's legs, since they are parts shared by the mrd.

#9 Spurowny

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

Great idea Moon.
I hope many artists participate
This could be really cool.

#10 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

Hmm. Worth a shot, ya know?

#11 Firenze

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:33 PM

WELP TIME TO GET STARTED ON MY FAVOURITE MECH!

I was actually going to do this of my own accord sometime, but now I have even more incentive!

#12 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

So, question. Admittedly I don't have the kind of creativity required for this contest, but I figure it's pertinent all the same.

If no one contributes to the prizes, are you paying for them out of your own pocket? :D

I love the idea and reasoning behind this, don't get me wrong. I love the fan sections of this site for stuff like this. I guess I'm just too tight-fisted to ever think of doing something like this for people ;)

#13 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:10 PM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 19 October 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

So, question. Admittedly I don't have the kind of creativity required for this contest, but I figure it's pertinent all the same.

If no one contributes to the prizes, are you paying for them out of your own pocket? :(

I love the idea and reasoning behind this, don't get me wrong. I love the fan sections of this site for stuff like this. I guess I'm just too tight-fisted to ever think of doing something like this for people ;)

That's correct, I'm donating a base amount of $95 to the prize pool. Any contributions to the prizes will be added to the pool - if a contribution is made then the amount will only go up by exactly that amount, never down, or less than the donation's amount, or stay the same (meaning: if someone donates $5, I'm not going to lower my amount by $5 to keep the prizes the same amount... That's yucky and I'm not like that. I'm also not going to decide to withdraw my full $95 and just use the donations for prizes). If there ends up to be an odd $ amount left from donations and how i split up the money, I'll try my best to make it work by pitching in some more to round it up to the next card, or include an extra $5 card just so that all the prize money is completely used up. I'm not in it make money (and none will be made. All funds will simply go towards the prizes even if it costs me a little extra, that's fine.).
I really just want to interest as many artists as I can and get their submissions in. I hope that the prizes will help with that. But community members sharing the link and telling friends is probably the best way to attract people.

Thanks for asking! :D

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 19 October 2013 - 04:12 PM.

#14 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:27 PM

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. This is an awesome idea and I strongly applaud it. The only conceivable issue I can see with it is that whatever people submit PGI can't actually make anything too similar without some sort of up-front waiver of copywright. Not that I don't have faith in Alex to make an absolutely awesome Marauder design all on his own, but it's worth keeping in mind.

#15 MayGay

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 304 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

Posted Image

No really, screw harmony gold, I haven't seen anything new from them except the new TT which I intend to buy and use the minis exclusively for playing Battletech, it'll be nice to have a Whammer, Rifleman, and Marauder again

#16 Felix Dante

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 400 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

Wow.

just WOW.

Great idea.

Thank you!

I just wish I could draw now...

#17 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

Look at my MAAAAD Drawing Skills!

Posted Image

This is so sad...

#18 stinkypuppy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 153 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the great plains of canada

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:55 PM

if only i could draw without making eyes bleed i would totally try and contribute. just to help though here is a deviantART page with a bunch of marauders. old marauders, 3d model marauders, new revised marauders, just not that ugly official redesigned marauder.

http://www.deviantar...letech+marauder

hope this gets the brain juices flowing.

#19 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:55 PM

View PostFelix Dante, on 19 October 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

Wow.

just WOW.

Great idea.

Thank you!

I just wish I could draw now...

Do you cosplay? Make a marauder design that you can move around in!
:D :( :huh:

View PostMischiefSC, on 19 October 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. This is an awesome idea and I strongly applaud it. The only conceivable issue I can see with it is that whatever people submit PGI can't actually make anything too similar without some sort of up-front waiver of copywright. Not that I don't have faith in Alex to make an absolutely awesome Marauder design all on his own, but it's worth keeping in mind.

I that the contest is just to mainly give ideas for perhaps the expectations for a new marauder design, as Bryan has asked. And also to simply show support for the mech, its design in general, and hopefully inspire the right guy at PGI with a pencil to doodle up a working design that gets voted through by Harmony Gold.

It's a long stretch for sure, but the heart of the contest is simply that to show support and give ideas/inspiration. I hope everyone is inspired by the Marauder's historical design and presence in Mechwarrior to dust off the paper and draw up their interpretation.

I doubt artists designs will be used verbatim in an actual rendering of the mech, but who knows. maybe it'll be so perfect, so awesome, that PGI has no choice but to contact the winner? ;)

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 19 October 2013 - 05:57 PM.

#20 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:56 PM

BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users