- - - - -

Why So Many Horrible People?

178 replies to this topic

#61 Ashram

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:35 PM

Players would not be so bad if there was in-game voice chat. Having to type during a match sucks and will get you killed. I think alot of these so called "noobs" would be more than decent with in-game voice chat. Sure there aim might still suck, but they'll at least know what the overall strat is, and what your team is doing. Those people who are running off to die, would not do so if there was communication via voice. That's a fact.
Last year in Aug. 2012, there was an ask the Devs question about in-game voice chat. The response was something like rarely do people post subjects that we haven't already thought about extensively. In regards to voice chat you'll be happy what we have planned for it. Something along those lines. Well it's 15 months later. Where's the in-game voice? What was the plan? In-game voice is fundamental to this game, and yet they launch without it.

#62 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:58 PM

View PostTraining Instructor, on 20 October 2013 - 12:08 PM, said:

When I lose in a roll, and you say "GG", and you get my response of "DIAF", don't be too shocked. You deserve it, and I mean it. Clueless people steal oxygen from real humans.

You do know... quite a few players will now say gg Close just for entertainment if they see you on the opposing side (Probably also if they lost becasue you were on their team). Selfish, childish and egocentrical comments like these make trolls like myself look for our surfboards just so that we can enjoy the ensuing tears that little bit more.

As for the OP: Im afraid that there will always be some morons in any online game, just becasue they are of the wrong impression that no one can see them and they can therefore do anything they want to the pixels in their monitors... Most of the time, if you meet them, they are completely different, shy people who you would completely ignore if you saw them on the streets (mostly complete introverts). If teh offences are bad enough, then make a screnshot of what happened and send it to support@mwomercs.com and let the devs sort them out.

#63 Mr D One

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:22 AM

This is actually a good topic.

I think the problem is systemic of human nature where those who believe their lives have little value need to make themselves feel better by putting someone else down, in game(s) or in real life.

As a humble MWO player who does very little trash typing, I often try to douse the fire if a conversation is getting heated. For example, now now bois, its a game, have fun and do your best. or calm yourself, you wont play any better being angry.

If you can play from inside your heart, with fun, love and happiness, I guarantee you will enjoy MWO, or any other game more, win, lose or draw.

#64 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:59 AM

Oh I don't use veiled language... When I say gee gee it was a good game win or loss..

If I think it wus a roflstomp... I say "wafflestomp".

#65 blacklanner

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 32 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:25 AM

View PostMycrus, on 22 October 2013 - 12:59 AM, said:

Oh I don't use veiled language... When I say gee gee it was a good game win or loss..

If I think it wus a roflstomp... I say "wafflestomp".

That reminds me of an old matrix parody video.

-"We need waffles. Lots of waffles."
-"And a beer!"

#66 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:56 AM

View PostDar1ng One, on 22 October 2013 - 12:22 AM, said:

This is actually a good topic.

I think the problem is systemic of human nature where those who believe their lives have little value need to make themselves feel better by putting someone else down, in game(s) or in real life.

As a humble MWO player who does very little trash typing, I often try to douse the fire if a conversation is getting heated. For example, now now bois, its a game, have fun and do your best. or calm yourself, you wont play any better being angry.

If you can play from inside your heart, with fun, love and happiness, I guarantee you will enjoy MWO, or any other game more, win, lose or draw.

I dunno man, I often fall into the "OH GOD I'M WORTHLESS" line of thinking, and don't really ever insult, belittle, or deride others to make myself feel better.

I think the reasons for antisocial behavior are myriad and complex. And beyond the scope of this thread.

Does MWO have a greater or lesser percentage of such players than other games? That too is hard to determine.

Ultimately though, you just have to ignore them, and carry on. I rarely see anything too bad, and most matches are not even filled with the usual trash-talking. In fact, the most common offense I see, is the overuse of bacon-related jokes. Might be due to the company I keep... :D

#67 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:26 AM

View PostAshram, on 21 October 2013 - 11:35 PM, said:

Players would not be so bad if there was in-game voice chat.

No thanks. Hearing some piping 13 year old voice would further erode the immersion. 13 year old texts are a lot easier to ignore.

#68 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:32 AM

View PostSagamore, on 21 October 2013 - 11:20 PM, said:

There are definitely a few legitimate trolls in this game. One particular group of them introduce themselves as "Lords" and spam "gg close" when the game is a complete rofl stomp.

That sounds hilarious actually.

I've witnessed this same group kill a friendly player who they thought shot them in the back. Thats the most hostile I've seen people.

Then they got a team kill for it. I've done similar things to people who shot me in the back.

Would never kill them though. Just leg them then quit.

People have an unreasonably broad definition of "trolling" on here IMO. Shooting someone who shot you first is not trolling. Typing sarcastic comments into chat is not trolling.

View PostLightfoot, on 21 October 2013 - 07:07 PM, said:

I must say that is rare. MechWarriors have honor usually. The lore is you are the best of the best to get to pilot a mech

Anyone who has read the novels knows this is not true. In the lore, plenty of untalented dou*hes pilot mechs purely by luck or chance or because they weaseled their way into one. The Inner Sphere still uses a feudal system, and many pilots simply inherited their mechs.

#69 Gauvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

First, I do believe that the support folks do track complaints on player behavior--do report when you see something you feel is excessive and from that point on the problem is PGI's to deal with based on their standards and their application of the ToS.

On the whole the MWO community seems to be reasonably polite and mature--I think being a BattleTech/MechWarrior game has brought in a lot of older players and the overall tone is positive. I have seen a lot more rude behavior than I would like, and I don't believe that one simply has to accept that because this is a game played via the Internet any behavior must be tolerated, accepted, or ignored.

It's really up to the community to set the tone. I see enough of the same names every day to know this is a pretty small community as online games go. If folks respond to behavior that exceeds acceptable norms either by ticketing or by a polite note in chat that they find someone's behavior excessive I think the problems tend to stay tamped down. While you'll probably never change folks who engage in antisocial behavior as an end in itself, if something bothers you chances are it bothers others and giving voice to it helps set expectations.

It also helps you if your expectations are more strict than the community accepts--if you speak up and are being overly sensitive you'll get feedback over time that will let you make a decision for yourself, perhaps to reset your own expectations.

Hopefully we will see some community tools in the future that will better manage our own in-game experience.

#70 Oethe

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 81 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

View Postmailin, on 20 October 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

I get a little frustrated when my team gets rolled and someone on the other team types 'GG'. Because, no, it wasn't a good game. A good game is one where you don't know who is going to win until the very end. To that end, I NEVER type 'GG' unless I know that my team has lost at least 4 mechs. If my team gets rolled, then I type, "well-played enemy team". If I believe it truly was a good game and close, then I type 'gg'.

If I win I say gg, if I lose and aren't multitasking with other tools while watching I say gg.
If it is a close fight like near mech destroyed ratio within 4 I say good fight.

If someone put up a good fight for a long time, like a light or something against 5+ mechs? I say they did a good job piloting/surviving.

Good game is the same etiquette used in other sports events after a match. I think the people who say it regardless of how bad the win/loss was is due to being raised on old competitive leagues like CAL originally for CS. It was encouraged to show proper etiquette and if you said anything but proper sportsmanship your team was flagged for a loss in the match.

#71 Sagamore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:08 PM

View PostR895, on 22 October 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

If I win I say gg, if I lose and aren't multitasking with other tools while watching I say gg.
If it is a close fight like near mech destroyed ratio within 4 I say good fight.

If someone put up a good fight for a long time, like a light or something against 5+ mechs? I say they did a good job piloting/surviving.

Good game is the same etiquette used in other sports events after a match. I think the people who say it regardless of how bad the win/loss was is due to being raised on old competitive leagues like CAL originally for CS. It was encouraged to show proper etiquette and if you said anything but proper sportsmanship your team was flagged for a loss in the match.

However, "gg close" especially after a stomp is used specifically to incite rage from the losing team. These people were raised on toxic games like League of Legends or Dota.

#72 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

welcome to the internet. end thread.

#73 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:52 PM

View PostSadistic Savior, on 22 October 2013 - 06:32 AM, said:

Anyone who has read the novels knows this is not true. In the lore, plenty of untalented dou*hes pilot mechs purely by luck or chance or because they weaseled their way into one. The Inner Sphere still uses a feudal system, and many pilots simply inherited their mechs.

I'm so happy to know that I'm just RPing and not trolling...

View PostR895, on 22 October 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

My kid does not so well in a match and always says GG...

She goes well daddy at least I got a spotting assist..

She is 7 turning 8... Most of the tearz I see in game are from grown man... Mmm tasty...

#74 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:56 PM

View PostKraven Kor, on 22 October 2013 - 05:56 AM, said:

I dunno man, I often fall into the "OH GOD I'M WORTHLESS" line of thinking, and don't really ever insult, belittle, or deride others to make myself feel better.

I do eet for the lulz...

Anybody that derives their sense of RL meaning from a video game is a lolcow that deserves to be milked...

#75 Deathz Jester

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:59 PM

View PostMycrus, on 22 October 2013 - 11:56 PM, said:

I do eet for the lulz...

Anybody that derives their sense of RL meaning from a video game is a lolcow that deserves to be milked...

i just..... what is an lolcow...?

im laughing so hard right now

#76 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:05 AM

A cow gives milk...

When you "milk" a lolcow - it gives you lolz..

#77 Rushin Roulette

• 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:27 AM

Doesnt it also move around on lollerskates and travel in style in Roflcopters?

#78 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

View PostMycrus, on 22 October 2013 - 11:56 PM, said:

I do eet for the lulz...

And if you laugh at the misery and frustration of others, even if that misery and frustration is "over nothing," you are equally flawed.

It's the EVE Online "It's just a game, don't be mad that I just stole 2 years of "work" from your corporate hangar after pretending to befriend you on teamspeak" malarkey.

Yes, it is just a game. And nobody should take it so seriously. But when your goal is to incite others to that level of frustration, to get your lolz, then you are as bad (or, likely, worse) than the person you are inciting.

Not saying "YOU" are, whoever I'm quoting, just a general sentiment on the subject.

Having a little fun blowing each other up is one thing. Purposefully inciting other players for your own entertainment is as broken as someone who can't separate a game from real life or uses video games to validate themselves or whatever.

#79 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:11 AM

Why so many horrible people?

Simple. Anonymity.

People with ****** social skills, fragile self esteems and egos, and a need to act out will behave in ways like originally posted because they are sheltered from repercussions by the anonymity the internet provides. Doubtless, all protestations of badassery aside, they would never do this to someones face 99% of the time simply because of the shaming, peer pressure or behind-whoopins they would undoubtedly receive for doing so.

For some, epeening is their only way to feel any self worth. All you can do is report em when you see it, disassociate yourself from those kinds of people and strive to ignore them when it occurs. Such is the nature of thle web and any game bereft of mechanisms to create repercussions for such actions.

#80 Walter Baxter

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

View PostReagusmech, on 20 October 2013 - 03:28 AM, said:

Just started playing, and had the glory of seeing some guy called [redacted] from [redacted] harass a guy after killing him with 3 other lights non-stop all game with comments like "Mmmm tasty" and just kept on and on and on

I've seen it in other matches as well, and I just want to know why are people so overly hostile? It seems to be as toxic as League of Legends, and thats saying something.....

Have you ever played world of tanks(WoT)? WoT is the gamers hell. Flamers, haters and 80% people that act like they are brainded.

Mechwarrior Online is a heaven for players which left WoT. (Like myself)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users