Do Not Retaliate Friendly Fire

92 replies to this topic

#21 Antares Fortune

Rookie

• Overlord
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:32 PM

I think I've been fairly lucky in that regard. The only real time I saw a team turn on someone was when a mech in the back of the team started firing and ran through the team pretty much strafing everyone as he went. As he made a second pass on someone, they turned and unloaded on him, at which point everyone else on the team pretty much took the cue and put the offender down.

Afterwards he started screaming on chat asking what the heck we were doing? When told why he was taken down, he flatly denied doing it, despite hitting nearly everyone on the team.

#22 Trevor Belmont

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:23 AM

Last week I was brawling up close in my AC20 Orion Protector when a teammate in a Kintaro jumped in and landed right in front of me. He ended up taking an AC20, ERLL, 2 ML and SRM4 to the back and dying. Of course, I get a Team Kill and penalty. Some people just don't think.

Edited by Belmonte, 31 October 2013 - 04:24 AM.

#23 FerrolupisXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 502 posts
  • LocationCatapult Cockpit

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:39 AM

Leg 'em, rip their arms out, leave them for dead.

Some people unfortunately get their kicks by being a total douche canoe.

My personal favorite was joining a match with my lance mates, only to have a guy rearange the team at random, absolutely no logic to it. i asked him nice to put my mates back with me, for obvious reasons. he responded with some choice expletives, and once we got into combat him and his buddies, all 3 in Yen Lo Wang's all fire AC-20's into my back, and then turn around acting like they didn't do it. yeah, that large laser certainly does make a big BOOM *CLANG!* and opens my rear torso like a cheerleaders legs from the front side yeh? of course it did!

#24 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:45 AM

View PostBlomdoft, on 29 October 2013 - 10:40 PM, said:

What you should do: Curse loudly about friendly fire in the chat.
What you should not do: Turn around and cripple the next best guy that looks like he might have shot at you.

If the coursing is done without violating the CoC it's fine. Otherwise it's as inacceptable as retaliating.

Note for everyone: Never retaliate! Ever!
If you kill or cripple the player who shot at you, you violated the rules and he has something to put charges against you.
If you let him kill or cripple you, without shooting back, you can report him to the GMs, they will see that you did nothing wrong and don't have to decide who started first and for what reason and was that reason justified and so on...
I the end, we will be rid of those players that much faster, because the GMs have less investigation to do, if you let them kill you and simply report them.

#25 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:48 AM

If someone messes up and takes off %1 off your armor by a laser scratch, it doesn't give you the right to TK that dude. It cripples the whole team for the end of round because of your macho attitude. Just yell FF in chat and wait for an apologise.

I've also seen people killing each other because someone "blocked" them from backing up. The stupidity the F2P titles attract can be appaling.

[color=#959595]you can report him to the GMs[/color]

What can GM's can do other than warn him though? Reset his C-Bills? Probably nothing.

Edited by Tahribator, 31 October 2013 - 04:49 AM.

#26 Asmosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:51 AM

before you start cursing, take a peek at your damage % top left. if its 99% and someone brushed you with a SL or MG, dont sweat it.

#27 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:08 AM

View PostTahribator, on 31 October 2013 - 04:48 AM, said:

What can GM's can do other than warn him though? Reset his C-Bills? Probably nothing.

Do you want to test it? Sounds like it to me!

Be aware though, you wont be playing for long anymore, if you actually try it. :D

#28 MandaloreWise01

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:52 AM

View PostNakamura Takeshi, on 30 October 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

I think once is an accident, but twice they need to be put down. If you are stepping in front of someone as they are firing on enemy players you are asking for it (especially if you are really close and rush in front of them), I freely except a shot or two if I need to gain a better position quickly and I'm stepping in front of them and get hit.

View Postoldradagast, on 30 October 2013 - 08:27 AM, said:

I only return fire if it is absolutely certain who the guilty party is and that he has not made a mistake but actually intends to be a griefer.

I find these situations acceptable. Maybe copy/pasting into open chat, "Shoot me again, and I WILL take you out, {playername}." is acceptible as well?

#29 JediMechwarrior

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 34 posts
  • LocationMallory's World, Draconis March, Federated Suns

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:15 AM

UCMJ. Thanks.

#30 Blurry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • LocationGreat White North

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:22 AM

It happens. I dont go all crazy because I know that for instance my hand twitches or spazams and off it goes.
Or if I am real tired my send the message to the wrong finger. I have a third click so sometimes one clicks when it isnt.

It happens - it isnt the end of the world and 99.99% of the time it isnt malicious. Now that .01% we can have another discussion.

#31 Vodrin Thales

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 869 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

I've only been the victim of intentional FF twice. Both times the individual in question was undeniably trying to TK me. Both times I cockpitted him.

#32 MandaloreWise01

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:41 AM

View PostVodrin Thales, on 31 October 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

I've only been the victim of intentional FF twice. Both times the individual in question was undeniably trying to TK me. Both times I cockpitted him.

You've been lucky. I envy you.

#33 Barrett

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 76 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:55 AM

"Insert general comment about the promiscuity of your family's matriarch"

I have stopped shooting back, now I wait an extra 5 seconds so the players can finish test firing their new combos and march ahead. DO NOT give them a moving target, it only encourages. Play dead.

#34 Xmasterspy

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:33 AM

View PostBlomdoft, on 29 October 2013 - 10:40 PM, said:

someone just cannot behave

You do you realize that there is\was a BUG in the game: If you are playing in full screen and decide to alt-tab out of the game window (change music or something), you can NOT get back into the game window without clicking (AKA = firing one of your weapons) inside the game window.

I run 3 monitors. I don't play across all 3 at the same time (unless showing off to friends) but when moving from window to window I have this issue. I just make sure that no one is in front of me before i click, but sometimes I will catch someone running by.

There is a technical reason people do this. It's not just people shooting because there cant behave, A.D.D, or whatever other rude comment you can come up with.

#35 wintersborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:14 PM

If I am in a spot providing fire support and some azzhat decides he wants to shoot from my spot, I leg him if he does not move in a few seconds.

If I see a obvious TK'er on our team I leg or kill him same goes for abusive chat tards. Just as in real life you talk **** to my face and my fist will talk to your face.

I see alot of pre mades in PUG's leg the commander that splits them up while I agree with this I don't think pre mades should be dropping with pugs but azzhats need a beat down to learn.

I see soo many TK'ers now I wonder if team damage is counted to their score so they have a incentive?

#36 wintersborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:27 PM

View PostEgomane, on 31 October 2013 - 04:45 AM, said:

If the coursing is done without violating the CoC it's fine. Otherwise it's as inacceptable as retaliating.

Note for everyone: Never retaliate! Ever!
If you kill or cripple the player who shot at you, you violated the rules and he has something to put charges against you.
If you let him kill or cripple you, without shooting back, you can report him to the GMs, they will see that you did nothing wrong and don't have to decide who started first and for what reason and was that reason justified and so on...
I the end, we will be rid of those players that much faster, because the GMs have less investigation to do, if you let them kill you and simply report them.

I did not see this post but I have NEVER heard of anyone getting punished for griefing or TK'ing. So no offense but how can we trust PGI to do something about it? The naming and shaming rule only helps hide the offenders and punishes the rest of us, so to me this tells me you protect them not punish them.

How about if we have fraps of them, then you punish them and compensate us as well as posting your own name and shame list for all to see?

Otherwise why should we do this unless you will compensate us for our loss?

I grew up to be a man and will never let someone hit me without hitting back. So this lay down and then tell mommy rule is hard to swallow for me.

Edited by wintersborn, 01 November 2013 - 12:28 PM.

#37 wintersborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

View PostEgomane, on 31 October 2013 - 05:08 AM, said:

Do you want to test it? Sounds like it to me!

Be aware though, you wont be playing for long anymore, if you actually try it. :huh:

Sounds like a threat to a honest question!
Is this how PGI normally treats customers on the forums asking questions?

#38 Blomdoft

Rookie

• Moderate Giver
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:56 PM

View PostXmasterspy, on 01 November 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

You do you realize that there is\was a BUG in the game: If you are playing in full screen and decide to alt-tab out of the game window (change music or something), you can NOT get back into the game window without clicking (AKA = firing one of your weapons) inside the game window.

I run 3 monitors. I don't play across all 3 at the same time (unless showing off to friends) but when moving from window to window I have this issue. I just make sure that no one is in front of me before i click, but sometimes I will catch someone running by.

There is a technical reason people do this. It's not just people shooting because there cant behave, A.D.D, or whatever other rude comment you can come up with.

Nice, it latest 32 replies before triggering one mechwarriors nerves, and that not even on an expletive but a harmless description.

Honestly I did not know this. I always thought that Alt-Tabbing is enough, as that works fine for me with a one-screen fullscreen setup, but I remember the problem from other games and different setups.

However, if you are at the start of a match, is there a problem clicking back into the game before you are handed control?
While underway and in a tight group, might I suggest to switch to an empty weapon group before tabbing out, it is a tedious workaround but should help.

And now for something completely different, funny how many interesting stories have gathered in this thread, thanks guys!

Cheers, Blom

Edited by Blomdoft, 01 November 2013 - 11:58 PM.

#39 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:20 AM

This base suffers three training accidents a year. Unfortunate accidents that I will not hesitate to repeat if you cross me!

#40 Xmasterspy

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:10 PM

View PostBlomdoft, on 01 November 2013 - 11:56 PM, said:

Nice, it latest 32 replies before triggering one mechwarriors nerves, and that not even on an expletive but a harmless description.

Did not really get on my nerves, I have seen this same post a bunch of times now. Most of the posts are a lot more graphic when referring to people that fire right at the start. People might be a lot more relaxed if they knew there was a technical reason why this is happening (at least in my case.. I am assuming others.)

What I do (as you mentioned) is fire an empty weapon group. I am not sure how you would work around it if you had all 6 filled. I have tried chatting when in the game, but I still not able to take control of the mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users