92 replies to this topic

#41 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

Only had one intentional FF incident. Some dummy drilled my rear armour with a LL at the beginning of the match. I call him a {Dezgra}, but let it go. Then he tries to shoot the hell out of me. Fortunately my team clued in and we wiped him out.

Of course, I've had a few where I've accidently singed a teammate with a laser. I usually pull the shot into the ground and apologize in chat. Only time I've intentionally FFd was when some brain dead assault marched right up behind me when I'm trying to pull back from the enemy team. I got shredded there, but I only plinked the assault with MGs to wake him up.

#42 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

Remember. The amount of reat armor you need is relatively perceptional to how much you trust your teammates.

So, when PUGing, remember to put 50% on the rear torso slots.

#43 Vanguard319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:55 AM

I just had a match where I was following a pair of hunchbacks. We successfully flanked the other team and were laying waste to their missile boats. I kill one with a lucky shot in support of the hunchbacks, and one of them shows his thanks by firing a frigging alpha into my back, all but killing me in one shot, with the remaining enemies more than happy to finish the job. We lost by a huge margin btw.

Remind me never to help another pug. ><

Edited by Vanguard319, 03 November 2013 - 10:56 AM.

#44 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:54 PM

View PostVanguard319, on 03 November 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

I just had a match where I was following a pair of hunchbacks. We successfully flanked the other team and were laying waste to their missile boats. I kill one with a lucky shot in support of the hunchbacks, and one of them shows his thanks by firing a frigging alpha into my back, all but killing me in one shot, with the remaining enemies more than happy to finish the job. We lost by a huge margin btw.

Remind me never to help another pug. ><

Then you are doing the same thing, only looking out for yourself and not the team.

I've only had one case where i knew it was on purpose. Sitting on a cap with another Light, waiting for it to flip and he shoots me with a single laser. I move forward, turn toward him, he does the same then turns away. I figure it was a misclick and he's either typing or too stupid to type. So I go back to scanning the horizon and zap he does it again. This time I circle around behind him, and stay there for enough revolutions for him to get the clue he is only alive because I say so then duck around the far side of the cap and type "WTF?" He says "sorry" and I run off. I assume he was a douche who got bored and really sucked at driving a mech.

#45 Crohnic

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 87 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:16 PM

I've occasionally reached for the WASD keys at the start of a round only hit the weapon 2 key above to cause friendly fire, followed with an apology.

This morning, I watched a Stalker blow a Dragon 5N(C) to bits after first getting hit with FF at the start of the round. Everyone aware of the incidence seemed to take it in stride.

A little off subject, one game there was actually a troll proudly TK'ing two team mates before someone rightfully put him down. His commented that it took months before PGI banned his first account.

#46 Hydrocarbon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • 659 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

I don't know how I've never had a match where FF was retaliated on so much, maybe I'm lucky.

I've had the oddball tag my rear at the start, but I just shrug it off. I also get a lof of kills in a short time with my ac/5 firebrand, and never had anyone get pissy. I don't retaliate because usually it's just a mistake.

I think the only reason someone would want to remove a teammate is because they think they'll get that many more points in the end. I'm curious how much a teamkill dings your score, since I've never had one.

#47 Bullseye69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 454 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

Friendly fire does some times happen but once they fire a second time after I go out of the way to get out of the way they get what they get. Had a game were one of my own teammates killed me , then bragged about it in chat saying I earned it because I took command and moved a couple of people to different lances as soon as they started yelling I moved them back they complained the whole game I know I took friendly fire from them several times in the middle of battle but I let it go so I could engage enemy. They waited till I was cored out to no armor to kill me. It not like this game has anyway shape or form on who to tell is in a group , I grouped the lance putting all of the t bolts in one lance since we have all the max top speed and before I could give order the complaining started we were playing conquest was going to send the lances to different spots in hopes of carving up cappers but no dice.

The really sad thing is I waited 35 seconds in game and no one took command so I stepped uo will think twice about doing that again....

#48 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 03 November 2013 - 03:54 PM, said:

Then you are doing the same thing, only looking out for yourself and not the team.

I've only had one case where i knew it was on purpose. Sitting on a cap with another Light, waiting for it to flip and he shoots me with a single laser. I move forward, turn toward him, he does the same then turns away. I figure it was a misclick and he's either typing or too stupid to type. So I go back to scanning the horizon and zap he does it again. This time I circle around behind him, and stay there for enough revolutions for him to get the clue he is only alive because I say so then duck around the far side of the cap and type &quot;WTF?&quot; He says &quot;sorry&quot; and I run off. I assume he was a douche who got bored and really sucked at driving a mech.

I'm not sure you read what I posted. What's the point of trying to assist someone when they are going to try to shoot you in the back and nearly teamkill you because you "stole their kill?" (I know it was deliberate because I was behind and to the left of him when I fired the killing shot, he cored me in the back as soon as I passed by him. I also commented on it, and he said nothing.)

I typically operate as part of a team, but when pugs decide they won't be a part of that team and do dickish things like shoot their own over something as stupid as who scored the actual kill, it makes me want to let them get what's coming to them when they kick the hornet's nest. It also vindicates every hateful thing I and others have ever uttered about pugs on this forum, since it just reinforces the opinion that the only thing they are good for is being a mediocre damage sponge.

#49 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

View PostBullseye69, on 03 November 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

Friendly fire does some times happen but once they fire a second time after I go out of the way to get out of the way they get what they get. Had a game were one of my own teammates killed me , then bragged about it in chat saying I earned it because I took command and moved a couple of people to different lances as soon as they started yelling I moved them back they complained the whole game I know I took friendly fire from them several times in the middle of battle but I let it go so I could engage enemy. They waited till I was cored out to no armor to kill me. It not like this game has anyway shape or form on who to tell is in a group , I grouped the lance putting all of the t bolts in one lance since we have all the max top speed and before I could give order the complaining started we were playing conquest was going to send the lances to different spots in hopes of carving up cappers but no dice.

The really sad thing is I waited 35 seconds in game and no one took command so I stepped uo will think twice about doing that again....

That's rough, was I on that team? I recall a match like that, where the pugs started to harass the guy who assumed command, and pulled a lot of the {Scrap} you mentioned.

#50 Bullseye69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 454 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:31 AM

View PostVanguard319, on 03 November 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

That's rough, was I on that team? I recall a match like that, where the pugs started to harass the guy who assumed command, and pulled a lot of the {Scrap} you mentioned.

Can't remember if you were are not it just pissed me off there no way to tell if your a premade or not I go with the faction your aligned with I usual last one in the game. I waited for someone to assume command and then picked it up myself. The only reason I moved the person in t-bolt was so we could act as a lance of t bolt since it was a cap map and forest colony to boot.

#51 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:10 AM

The only incident I've had of being shot for friendly fire was on Tourmaline. I was lining up a shot zoomed in with my Gauss Rifle (before charging mechanic) and hit the trigger - just as another team mate stepped in the way. I apologized... he then turned around and alpha-struck me. Of course, he now had his already damaged rear armor exposed to 5 enemy mechs (the ones I was shooting at) who proceeded to blast him to pieces. He then spent the rest of the game insulting me over general chat. We lost, but not before I went on a rampage at the end as last mech standing, killing 3 of the enemy in that final run. That silenced him, and then the match ended.

So, griefers come in all forms, be it ones who start fights or ones who decided to go insane on a team mate for an honest mistake. In this case, if he hadn't been dim enough to be hiding right in front of my assault mech's main weapon, he might have lived.

#52 PlzDie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 456 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:30 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 04 November 2013 - 09:10 AM, said:

The only incident I've had of being shot for friendly fire was on Tourmaline. I was lining up a shot zoomed in with my Gauss Rifle (before charging mechanic) and hit the trigger - just as another team mate stepped in the way. I apologized... he then turned around and alpha-struck me. Of course, he now had his already damaged rear armor exposed to 5 enemy mechs (the ones I was shooting at) who proceeded to blast him to pieces. He then spent the rest of the game insulting me over general chat. We lost, but not before I went on a rampage at the end as last mech standing, killing 3 of the enemy in that final run. That silenced him, and then the match ended.

So, griefers come in all forms, be it ones who start fights or ones who decided to go insane on a team mate for an honest mistake. In this case, if he hadn't been dim enough to be hiding right in front of my assault mech's main weapon, he might have lived.

There was no mistake here, he walked into the line of fire he got what he deserved. I have seen players since CB that run into the line of fire intentionally to get the kill shot, what I usually do with these players is to keep on firing at the enemy I was firing at as if he was not in the way.

#53 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:46 AM

Yeah i got this last night... "got what he deserved"

Somebody decided i had walked into their fire... which i had, so they decided to keep on shooting me in the back. Enraged by my lack of response one these top players drilled an ac20 into my back. Because im not ******** i simply moved away from them. At the end of the round he challenges me about it. Apparently i had no idea he was shooting me!... It seems my complete lack of reaction had driven these greifers into even further rage. I was qute pleased.

#54 Ingvay

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 267 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

Here's mine and many of my unit members outlook on this subject...

If you shoot me once I'm most likely to tell you "watch your fire" and move on with the match. If you shoot me two or three times, it's no accident and I will begin shooting back until one of us is dead.

Also, I take note of folks who are complete and utter D-Bags to me, my unit members or PUG team in-game while on my team/drop. If at a later date I drop across from them(i.e. opposing teams)...I will do everything in mine and my team's power to kill them first. On one occasion while in a four man unit drop, we ended up on the same side as a player who the day before had done something that was total d-bag to the highest degree while on our team, then laughed about our deaths due to him. Knowing he did something wrong and saying "So what!?"

The next evening we dropped with him on our team and TK'd him right at the start. One of my unit members posted in chat..."Payback for last night" (BTW..the player was from a rival faction to ours)

There are a few rare times when a TK has it's place, and honestly PGI needs to realize that CW would virtually eliminate this issue. A Solaris Arena would also help, so you could thrown down a gauntlet to a D-Bag pilot and settle things one-on-one.

Also, an ignore list would be a great feature, so you never have to drop on the same team as an *sshole player again if you don't want to.

A one off stray shot, ...while totally annoying, is not a reason to TK a teammate.

Edited by Ingvay, 04 November 2013 - 10:14 AM.

#55 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:28 AM

View PostIngvay, on 04 November 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

If you shoot me once I'm most likely to tell you "watch your fire" and move on with the match. If you shoot me two or three times, it's no accident and I will begin shooting back until one of us is dead.

The thing is tho when your in combat trying to locate whos doing it is not possible. These people never stop to think you might be a brawler. I like to get up close in a fight. Now player x ... and you know this guy only ever uses ER lasers so hes miles away... and im between him and his target.

Why should i buy premium time when i got to put up with this? Until the unsporting bad mindset of bad players changes, premium time is not compatable with pugs.

Edit: maybe its build snobbery that causes it :P

Edited by Burke IV, 04 November 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#56 Ingvay

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 267 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

View PostBurke IV, on 04 November 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

The thing is tho when your in combat trying to locate whos doing it is not possible. These people never stop to think you might be a brawler. I like to get up close in a fight. Now player x ... and you know this guy only ever uses ER lasers so hes miles away... and im between him and his target.

Why should i buy premium time when i got to put up with this? Until the unsporting bad mindset of bad players changes, premium time is not compatable with pugs.

Edit: maybe its build snobbery that causes it :P

For me I'm basically referring to the start of matches, where someone shoots you at the drop area or as your moving out towards the enemy. In the few instances this has happened to me, the pilot has shot twice or more and I knew exactly who it was... in that situation...I will light them up.

#57 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:14 AM

Doesnt that make you almost as bad as they are? There are 10 other people on the team who wanted a game. When i see 2 people squabble at the start i just want to quit on the spot. If younger players are unable to police themselfs then PGI needs an admin team to keep the peace. There doesnt need to be an admin in every game but the chance of an on the spot punishment would cause all but the most commited greifer to think carefully before back shooting, spawn shooting, blocking or any other kind of disruption. Its not like any of this stuff is new. Anyway i can understand your frustration but dont shoot back. Take a screenshot and report it and hope that PGI will be ineterested enough. They ought to be, what could break the match maker more than players who shoot at their own team? Perhaps a paying players only match maker que might help (joke :) )

Edited by Burke IV, 05 November 2013 - 06:14 AM.

#58 Galil Nain

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:40 AM

Another thing to consider is relative pings... There have been several times where I have had a shot lined up on an enemy player, clicked fire, only to magically teleport behind a teammate just as I click fire and accidentally unload into their back. Just one more reason why I'm eagerly awaiting either a regional or a distributed server infrastructure. (can anyone remember when/if this is due?)

#59 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:11 AM

View Postwintersborn, on 01 November 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

I did not see this post but I have NEVER heard of anyone getting punished for griefing or TK'ing. So no offense but how can we trust PGI to do something about it? The naming and shaming rule only helps hide the offenders and punishes the rest of us, so to me this tells me you protect them not punish them.

How about if we have fraps of them, then you punish them and compensate us as well as posting your own name and shame list for all to see?

Otherwise why should we do this unless you will compensate us for our loss?

I grew up to be a man and will never let someone hit me without hitting back. So this lay down and then tell mommy rule is hard to swallow for me.

Umm.. you are completely misreading the no name and shame rule... You are not allowed to PUBLICLY name and shame anyone. This means you can not make the Fraps video and upload it on the forums for everyone to see. What you are permitted to do is take that FRAPS video, upload it to Youtube (best to set the video to unlisted so that only users who have the link from you can view it), send an Email to support@mwomercs.com with the link and a short explanation and let them handle it for you.

What you are describing btw, is not a manly behaviour, but just thugish behaviour (reffering to "I grew up to be a man and will never let someone hit me without hitting back."). In real life you still have the Police, Judges and Juries to do that "hitting" (punishing) work for you if it is deemed to be that way, the GMs are no different in this situation. Self justice is rarely allowed in real life (sometimes more,. sometimes less depending on which country you are in).

You are of course free to retaliate, curse and threaten as much as you want... but you should also stand like a man and take the punishment in the case of being reported yourself.

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 05 November 2013 - 07:12 AM.

#60 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:26 AM

View PostGalil Nain, on 05 November 2013 - 06:40 AM, said:

I'm eagerly awaiting either a regional or a distributed server infrastructure. (can anyone remember when/if this is due?)

I have seen the wishlist thread where somebody from PGI speaks about european servers but i dont know of ant date. a sub 40 ping sounds good to me aswell :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users