View PostOni Ralas, on 07 November 2013 - 09:30 AM, said:

You got cover
You got AMS
You got ECM
You got a visual and auditory warning system
You got spotty hit detection

LRM's are OP?

L O L

Although, I could not figure out last night how I was being rained on standing under cover, on river city!

#43 Captain Stiffy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:33 AM

View PostMordin Ashe, on 06 November 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

The obvious elephant in the room time.
AMS, anyone?

It's the 1.5 tons of equipment that doesn't matter until it MATTERS.

#44 Hellcat420

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:36 AM

they have to make the screenshake module useful somehow.

#45 Oni Ralas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 762 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:42 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 07 November 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

Although, I could not figure out last night how I was being rained on standing under cover, on river city!

That would be funky terrain. Sometimes there are buildings that aren't really there...sometimes we have invisible shields on LoS targets.

MWO...it's an interesting thing.

#46 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:46 AM

Unless there are multiple mechs running LRMs, I haven't found them to be a huge issue. If there are multiple mechs running LRMs, that usually means there's a way to counter them (get in close), and I just need to take cover and weather out the storm.

Then again, I always mount AMS, and suggest anyone going under 100 do so.

(Side note, my LRM Stalker boat is the 5S with 2 AMS)

#47 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:52 AM

View PostCaptain Stiffy, on 07 November 2013 - 08:44 AM, said:

No they just went to be good in other games ;)

No but it is hard to be effective when all of your snipers are locked down by LRM's and you happened to drop without any ECM in your team.

But isn't that the point of it? To stop those 1km lolsnipers pew pewing their hearts out from complete safety?
If they could not be suppressed the only option would be to rapidly close range or get lolsniped to death. Only issue there is, you'd have to get through the team to do it...all the time they would be racking up damage and kills from safety....
They would be doing what Lrms are doing right now...wouldn't they? Just a lot more effectively.
Then sniper builds would get raged about so they'd get the nerf and we'd all be down to sub 400m brawl fests...blob vs blob:)

I have one lrm mech. It's extremely frustrating to play due to lack of locks. The ease of lock breaking and huge amounts of cover. Also the sheer amount of ECM spam in games....
Everyone's perception is different, mine is lrms are highly situational. Very ineffective on most maps, extremely effective on a few maps-assuming enemy are tactically unaware.

#48 Navy Sixes

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:53 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 06 November 2013 - 11:33 PM, said:

Did I not see a similar thread by the OP?

View PostOneEyed Jack, on 07 November 2013 - 04:57 AM, said:

Don't recall if it was the same guy, but there was definitely the same post. And it was the only other time I've ever seen the phrase "LRM Flooders."

No, different guy. Same sentiment, though:
http://mwomercs.com/...__fromsearch__1

Field AMS, get out of 3pv, hit "b" and actually look at your map. Quit thinking about your mech like it's your "guy" running around in CoD and think of your mech like a tank, especially if your running a slow fatlas (and you are; no one else has these problems... slow, overgunned assaults are best! Nerf any contradictions!). Use the map to plan an approach to where you think your weapons will be most effective against where you think the enemy will be. Here's the important part: Your approach and destination should take terrain into account, so if someone starts lobbing LRMs, you've got some cover nearby.

If you are using the terrain, moving as a unit, and many of your teammates are fielding AMS, LRMs are no bigger a deal than any other weapon out there.

No nerfs for LRMs, thank you.

#49 Randalf Yorgen

• 1,026 posts
  • Locationwith in 3m of the exposed Arcons rear ct

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:54 AM

Wait, there are missile boats out there again.... heehee, time to dust off my LIGHT MECH and go bag me a few LURMS. I hear there is a new market for their Hides opening up in the north.

Now which light to take.... well any of the Jenners, or the ECM Spider is always a good one... of course there is the AC/20 Raven, not super fast but it's small and with just one or two shots will punch through the back of an enemy mech. SRM CDO is also a good option.... ohhh I don't know, maybe I'll just rotate through them all and see what one I like the best.

HEY.... I guess this is proof that this is a TEAM GAME because when one lance is pinned down a second lance is getting behind the baddies and making them go BOOM! (go get em Sarah)

#50 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:54 AM

View PostOni Ralas, on 07 November 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

That would be funky terrain. Sometimes there are buildings that aren't really there...sometimes we have invisible shields on LoS targets.

MWO...it's an interesting thing.

Kinda what I chalked it up to... still is a bummer.

#51 Randalf Yorgen

• 1,026 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:55 AM

Hey, if you're dead firing LRMS, meaning you are aiming at the target without targeting it, does the Warning Incoming Missiles still sound off?

#52 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:59 AM

View PostColonelMetus, on 06 November 2013 - 10:35 PM, said:

B: it says ur dragon fire lance but then u have a picture of a frost dragon, so i ignore your opinions as wrong

I am on this guys side.

Edit: oh also cover is map specific...

Just go and try playing against an LRM focused team on caustic and tell me just how much cover you could find. ;) However if you get them on Frozen city it can be quite a different story.

Edited by Wispsy, 07 November 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#53 Randalf Yorgen

• 1,026 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

View PostWispsy, on 07 November 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

I am on this guys side.

Just go and try playing against an LRM focused team on caustic and tell me just how much cover you could find. ;) However if you get them on Frozen city it can be quite a different story.

Different Maps, Different Tactics, Caustic... find their scouts and kill them, this forces the others to move up so the LRM boats can stay in cover because once the LRM boat has to come out to find a target it's a dead LRM boat.

Rivercity, Blitz them have your fast movers blow right past their lines and go right for their base (or safe area behind them) and force them to fight on two fronts, Splitting the LRM support and their forces.

Hell I've even seen LRMs being used effectivly in the Tunnel on Forest Colony and Frozen City.

#54 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

Root Problems Analysis

Radar Functionality>LRMS>ECM>SSRMs

In that order.

Radar in combination with indirect fire support tools is completely lacking with backwards functionality in MWO, causing a domino affect. Learn this well Padawans, Forever will it dominate your Destiny.

We could talk in circles about this, with endless "balance" discussions, and really get no where unless PGI suddenly decides to revamp mechanics.

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2852041

Edited by General Taskeen, 07 November 2013 - 10:08 AM.

#55 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:12 AM

LRMs... borderline underpowered, easy to avoid at long range and they have a counter. At least 50% of the time i dont even listen to the incomming missiles warning because i know i positioned myself with LRMs in mind and anybody that fires them from the front, at least, is going to hit someithng else. IMO lrms will never be perfect unless we all played stock

Randolf i beleive it does because mechs tend to wake up in a hurry when you do that.

Edited by Burke IV, 07 November 2013 - 10:12 AM.

#56 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:12 AM

View PostRandalf Yorgen, on 07 November 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

Different Maps, Different Tactics, Caustic... find their scouts and kill them, this forces the others to move up so the LRM boats can stay in cover because once the LRM boat has to come out to find a target it's a dead LRM boat.

Rivercity, Blitz them have your fast movers blow right past their lines and go right for their base (or safe area behind them) and force them to fight on two fronts, Splitting the LRM support and their forces.

Hell I've even seen LRMs being used effectivly in the Tunnel on Forest Colony and Frozen City.

Find scouts and kill them...lol ;)

Well playing against a bad team who suicides you one at a time is always going to go well for you...

However if many LRMs are used to support a push your forces are done for on Caustic. Also, I am guessing you have never played against the best LRM boat...the Highlander. Gets own spots, unavoidable LRM arc, huge ct focused damage but whatever.

#57 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

View PostWispsy, on 07 November 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

I am on this guys side.

But that's the point, there should be LRM friendly terrain, and front load friendly terrain, (lots of blind corners!) but I'm just evil like that!

#58 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:27 AM

I dont see this as an issue because eventually youll be able to choose what mechs you play on what maps. Which should eliminate that problem outright.

LRMs are already situational depending on the map and enemy ECM availability. The problem weapons are the weapons that are good on EVERY map like PPCs and AC5s.

Edited by Khobai, 07 November 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#59 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:41 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 07 November 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

But that's the point, there should be LRM friendly terrain, and front load friendly terrain, (lots of blind corners!) but I'm just evil like that!

I know I do not mind, just some people seemed unaware.

#60 Roosterfish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:50 AM

LRM's done flooded my wash room again.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users