The "Unseen": What would you be happy with?

117 replies to this topic

Poll: The "Unseen": What would you be happy with? (351 member(s) have cast votes)

In what capacity of the appearance of the "Unseens" would you be happy with?

1. I want the originals! I am stubborn! (very unlikely to happen, but needed to be a choice) (73 votes [20.80%])

Percentage of vote: 20.80%

2. The "Reseen" versions are fine they should just use something similar to those (assuming they are still legal of course). (43 votes [12.25%])

Percentage of vote: 12.25%

3. I would rather they be completely redesigned AGAIN. Whatever it takes to get Harmony Gold off our backs! (Alex "Flyingdebris" Iglesias and company... that's your queue) (114 votes [32.48%])

Percentage of vote: 32.48%

4. Some middle ground between Option 2 & 3; I liked some designs, but some were stupid. Let us vote for new designs! (111 votes [31.62%])

Percentage of vote: 31.62%

5. Unseen... Reseen... Whatever... They were before my time and/or I don't care. (10 votes [2.85%])

Percentage of vote: 2.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Barantor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:47 AM

View PostMarxman, on 15 November 2011 - 10:12 AM, said:

When? Where? How? :P

I asked if Alex would be doing redesigns of the unseen in the first Q&A session and they said he would be. Should be in the announcements now under community Q&A1 I think.

Edit: Found it.

In regards to the Unseen, does this mean we will see the Marauder, Archer, and the rest of the 'Unseens'? Will they be the original formats, the 'Reseens' or will they be Alex's own variations on these iconic ‘Mechs?

[MATT N] If we are going to make any Mech, it is going to go through Alex’s treatment.

Edited by Barantor, 14 December 2011 - 09:02 AM.

#42 Raeven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 324 posts
  • LocationHal's Bar. Middletown, Cathay District, Solaris VII

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:34 PM

The Marauder and the Locust are the two redesigns I care for the least.

Fortunately, the locust can be used again.

#43 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:14 PM

Let FlyingDebris handle them. His Jenner is a nearly complete redesign while simultaneously looking like a Jenner and making sense, my current wallpaper. I have great faith in the man.

In general Mechwarrior franchise has had a very good track run when it comes to redesigning mechs to make them look reasonable (and not like "conservative anime designs". nicely put). I want Thunderbolt, and I'm sure it can be done so that the legal stink will stop trailing behind the franchise at last.

#44 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:21 PM

View PostJack Gallows, on 13 November 2011 - 10:26 PM, said:

I'm kind of torn. Some of the reseen are really good (either better then the original, or just as good) and some of them are downright ****.

Wouldn't mind being allowed to vote on which mechs get to use the reseen designs, which mechs to redesign, and which to keep the unseen look...assuming they use any of the unseen.

I am also of this mind. Some of the redesigns are righteous, especially anything beginning with "Ost", but some like the Wolverine are a total loss. Alex is a very talented artist, and I have complete faith in him to bring these back in a way that is respectful of tradition (I.E. he won't turn the Shadowhawk into Robo-Cobra Commander) while doing it in such a fashion that Harmony Gold will drop whatever beef they may still have.

EDIT: That said, I'd like the "safe" unseens (I.E. non-macross) to be relatively close to their original designs.

Edited by Hayden, 14 December 2011 - 01:23 PM.

#45 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:26 PM

Let Alex redesign them.

The original Phoenix Project artwrok by and large sucked. I'm sure Alex can make new versions that hold onto some of the "feel" I think it would be a waste of time to try and get the actual original artwork into the game, it's too convoluted, and isn't necessary for the game.

Alex is probably the TOP btech artist I've seen working in the game to date. I'm tired of the old argument. Just fix the old phoenix idea by using good artwork, and then retcon the old robotech stuff out of existence. I loved the Marauder's look, I am tired of this coming up in every forum about the future of btech/mechwarrior however.

Just fix it, be done, and PLEASE close any future threads about it, it's just old.

#46 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:54 PM

Alex, if you are out there, I am willing to proof all work concerning the Marauder. I'm just sayin!

#47 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:35 PM

View Postfeor, on 13 November 2011 - 10:21 PM, said:

Well, some of the Unseen are 100% legal now. So anything from Crusher Joe or Dougram can be included pretty much unchanged, and should be largely untouched. (I want my big bad bfg-toting Battlemaster dangit! :P)

Please, anything but the gun. I'll stomach the cockroach head, but the handgun makes it one of the most out-of-the-place and obviously belonging to a different universe designs: what sense does it make that a battlemech, a machine whose sole purpose is war, would need to have a weapon modeled as a huge gun with a clip, held in hand... It's entirely redundant, like a bird with a propeller...

That Marauder redesign though... give me that and you wouldn't catch me dead piloting anything else. Once again I'm astonished at FlyingDebris' hand for catching the "spirit" of the machine - it has the low profile without being "all legs and arms, balanced by MAGIC" like the "original", it has the arms that could as well birth the Mad Cat name, and a cold, military look of the cockpit to replace the previous, somewhat goofy-looking bulbous torso. Amazing.

Never cared much for the centrally dorsal-mounted, conspicuously large cannons, but judging from the fact that pretty much the only mechs sporting them are those directly taken from Japanese mecha anime, neither did the BT's developers I suppose.Good riddance,

Edited by Alex Wolfe, 14 December 2011 - 04:11 PM.

#48 Artanis Creed

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:41 PM

Marauder and Timber Wolf (Mad Cat) are different mechs for cryin out loud... they dont even look all that similar!

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Mad_Cat

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Marauder

#49 Kodiak Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 935 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:21 PM

as for the rest of the topic, i will settle for re-design to keep harmony gold off CBT's back, the new Stone Rhino looks god awful.

i'm a bit lost here guys. is the Jenner IIC considered un-seen/re-seen since it went through a major redesign? love the original Jenner IIC design.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#50 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:28 AM

I voted Option 1. I doubt we'll see them in MWO, but I also don't want to see them redesigned (I for myself don't like the redesigns done by Alex Iglesias).

#51 Dragorath

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:21 AM

I loved the marauder and the warhammer sniff, but a redesign is more favourable over not having the again. That were really great mechs. Rough and needed skilled pilots, that is what we need and not this smooth "oh-yes-I'll-alpha-you-back-to-terra"-mechs

#52 Oppi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationCologne, Germany

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:39 AM

View PostArtanis Creed, on 14 December 2011 - 07:41 PM, said:

Marauder and Timber Wolf (Mad Cat) are different mechs for cryin out loud... they dont even look all that similar!

I'm sorry, but they do :)

The IS name is "Mad Cat" because it looks like a mix of a Marauder and a Catapult (Catapult torso + missile launchers, Marauder legs and arms), so there's not much point arguing about it ...

And I demand the Marauder and the Battlemaster to be in the game. There simply are no other designs that say "Battletech" as loud as those two (at least for someone who got into it before all that Clan Invasion mess happened ^^ )

Edited by Oppi, 15 December 2011 - 06:50 AM.

#53 Dragorath

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:25 AM

View PostOppi, on 15 December 2011 - 06:39 AM, said:

I'm sorry, but they do :)

The IS name is "Mad Cat" because it looks like a mix of a Marauder and a Catapult (Catapult torso + missile launchers, Marauder legs and arms), so there's not much point arguing about it ...

And I demand the Marauder and the Battlemaster to be in the game. There simply are no other designs that say "Battletech" as loud as those two (at least for someone who got into it before all that Clan Invasion mess happened ^^ )

I AGREE!!!!!!

#54 PelinalWhitestrake

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 153 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:48 AM

im the only one here who likes of the redesigned version of warhammer for The 1st Trailer?

at least that one is better than the Moblie suit-ish classic cockpit torso

#55 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:28 PM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 13 November 2011 - 10:15 PM, said:

Flying Debris has already done a Marauder Re-seen...sort of. It is on the BattleTech website, on the Universe, BattleMech Technology page.

I think it looks good myself. It is significantly different than the original as well, yet I still like this image.

MARAUDER RE-SEEN, by Flying Debris

Posted Image

Personally I always thought a good way to re-design the Marauder would be to take an Apache gunship, cut the tail and rotor off, then stick chicken walker legs on the bottom, move the chaingun from the bottom to the top of the rotorhead, and extend the rocket pods down on some robot arms.

As the Marauder is my personal favorite 'Mech, I must confess that despite nostalgia for the classic design, the reseen design has grown on me.

About the only issue I have with it is the actual cockpit - it is rather large and front-and-center, and seems like there's "too much glass" with the lower section.

As it happens, the Clan Shadow Cat shares the same issue (as does, albeit to a lesser degree, its successor).
(Though, I do rather like the the cockpit style of the Shadow Cat II - it's somewhere between the reseen design and the "Apache-style" aesthetic mentioned by Hans, and it is (IMO) good... :))

Regardless, I've no doubt that whatever Mr. Iglesias comes up with, it will be awesome. :)

Also... what are the odds of seeing any of the Marauder-related 'Mechs in-game - particularly the Marauder II (3012) and the Nightstar (3036)?
And eventually the Bandersnatch (3055), the Rakshasa (3055), the Maelstrom (3058), the Dragon Fire (3058), and the Marauder IIC for the Clanners?

#56 Rhinehart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationFree Worlds League

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:58 PM

My Cheif complaint with this and any other re-design of the Marauder is that it moves the AC-5 from the center top position to an offset torso location.

This was done statistically to make it compatible with the generic bipedal mech record sheet diagrams for the table top game. Surely we have moved past that arbitrary limitation, especially in a video game universe?

The center top mounted gun was one of the most distinctive features of the original design. I find it hard to believe that no re-design is possible without retaining this feature.

Please put the autocannon back on top where it belongs.

Edited by Rhinehart, 15 December 2011 - 07:01 PM.

#57 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:03 PM

I was a huge proponent of the original Marauder being as TRO 3025 was my real big leap into Battletech canon and anything other than just a set of rules etc but I also confess that the re-seen Marauder has grown on me. In fact the GRC fields 2 Marauders and 1 Marauder II in our company for the TT games.

For me the primary importance of the Marauder was a combo between the chicken walker approach AND the weapon pod arms.

#58 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:22 PM

I like the Marauder reseen but..I've got a huge problem with that glass cockpit. The Marauder doesn't HAVE external viewports, it's a closed cockpit, described as such in novels and the original artwork(I know, I know!) has no visible cockpit either.

#59 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:24 PM

View PostRhinehart, on 15 December 2011 - 06:58 PM, said:

My Cheif complaint with this and any other re-design of the Marauder is that it moves the AC-5 from the center top position to an offset torso location.

This was done statistically to make it compatible with the generic bipedal mech record sheet diagrams for the table top game. Surely we have moved past that arbitrary limitation, especially in a video game universe?

The center top mounted gun was one of the most distinctive features of the original design. I find it hard to believe that no re-design is possible without retaining this feature.

Please put the autocannon back on top where it belongs.

In a way, though, it also makes sense to have the gun off-set to ensure that the space above the cockpit is clear to allow for safe pilot ejection. :)

The BT rules apparently do allow for some weapons to be shared across sections.
For example, the AC-20 (10 criticals) on the Axman is shared between the CT and the RT (2 in CT, 8 in RT).
(DOES ANYONE KNOW IF/WHERE THIS RULE IS/WAS WRITTEN DOWN!? :))

As the AC-5 (or most things worthy of replacing it; the most notable exceptions being the Large Laser, ER Large Laser, and Large pulse Laser) would be too large (more than two criticals) to be mounted in the CT itself by notmal BT rules, perhaps the same section-sharing rule used for the Axman could be referenced, with the AC-5 is shared between the CT and the RT (2 in CT, 2 in RT); appearance-wise, it would still be off-center, but only slightly so - enough to be noticeable and practical (see the space-to-eject argument) and copyright-friendly (*cough*Harmony Gold*cough*)?

Edited by Strum Wealh, 15 December 2011 - 07:29 PM.

#60 WMC Gomez

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationPuyallup, WA

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:13 PM

This is the first I have seen this topic and I voted for option one. however if we can't have that, then a re-design is more than sufficient in my book. Just as long as we have them all when the game goes live that is what I want in the end.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users