Have You Been Told That A Medium Mech Is Not Welcome In The Team ?

242 replies to this topic

#81 TimePeriod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 548 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationI'm out gardening, back in 10.

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:56 PM

I just put an ERPPC in their face and let god sort them out, ain't nobody telling me I can't use my Cicada sniper.

#82 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:00 PM

The worse thing I've been told by fellow team mates was on team speak when they told me I better not have an XL in my cataphract, I didn't in that one. lol

But I am prejudice against mechs. I automatically assume Champion mechs are piloted by new players and if its a (C) Assault I arbitrarily write them off. Is my opinion fair? No but its based off my past experience with champion mechs. Do I QQ about it in game? No. I do that on the forums.

#83 Lucity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 108 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

The guy has no idea what he is saying.

Posted Image

#84 Cion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 750 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

I love med mechs, have a ton of fun with my hunchbacks.
Just make sure you play like a medium, not like a heavy or assault inside a medium and you'll have a blast.

#85 DrnkJawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 488 posts
  • LocationIn an urbie aiming at your crotch

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:25 PM

View PostCion, on 28 December 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

I love med mechs, have a ton of fun with my hunchbacks.
Just make sure you play like a medium, not like a heavy or assault inside a medium and you'll have a blast.

cause you have a bad feeling in assaults? XD

#86 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:36 PM

I just won a 1v1 close quarters duel with a fresh battlemaster in my hunchback. I used the cover in a city while my AC20 was on cooldown. I am not saying this event could be easily repeated, but mediums can be good with enough piloting skills and provided you put a reasonable loadout on them.

#87 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:16 PM

View PostMyomes, on 27 December 2013 - 08:02 PM, said:

Im guessing its the AC/20 style.

Yes, AC/20

#88 Myomes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:23 PM

Lets see if I can put into a dialogue you'll understand.

"Look, I cut my own leg off but I still won the race!"
"That's all well and good, but you were racing against two legged grannies. Let's see how you do when you race two legged trained runners."
"I'm still just as viable as them!"
"Keep telling yourself that..."

Guess who you are in the conversation.

#89 GutterBoy5

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 375 posts
  • LocationAdelaide,south australia

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:39 PM

Obviously one of those brain dead fools that believe assaults are the only true mech, & that lights are unbeatable both accounts wrong . Light are powerful ATM only cause they broken & any good med pilot find atlas easy to take down & light are a great snack in between.

When weight restrictions come in mediums are gonna be the most need class as they good weight filler for good fire power for its weight.

Love my mediums my favourite class of mech.

#90 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:46 PM

View PostMyomes, on 28 December 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

"That's all well and good, but you were racing against two legged grannies. Let's see how you do when you race two legged trained runners."

Through this entire thread you have consistently missed the point. Your values are not only unrepresented by but contrary to the very people you are so desperately trying to "enlighten".

Your argument is "herp-derp mediums suck because lol meta" and while some here may or may not disagree with that assessment, and to varying degrees, the real question is should someone be punished and ridiculed for bringing a mech to the team that they enjoy playing. This isn't a f**king war, it's a f**king video game. A. F**ing. Video. Game. Not everyone has fun the same way you do. Learn to deal with that. I'm sure no one in your little, 12v12 pocket reality would ever dare risk sacrificing victory by playing a mech other than your minuscule list of pre-approved meta abusing mechs and I'm fairly certian that no one here is uber top their material NOR do they care that they aren't. All that preaching just keeps falling on death ears because no one wants what you are selling.

Mediums are fun to play, ergo mediums are viable. End of thread.

#91 Myomes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:52 PM

you miss the point entirely. Mediums are only viable If a Meta is introduced vis a vis tonnage restrictions or another metric.

The entire point of this thread has been how much of an asset you are to the other team, NOT whether YOU feel mediums are fun, which somehow makes them viable.

YOU may enjoy playing a dead weight mech and that's fine, but you have to acknowledge that people who enjoy winning matches will feel you are dead weight, and you will have to get used to that.

How do I know it's not just me? Because the OP created the thread based on experiences with OTHER people. I really do like how you try to pull a Russ "you're on an island" troll, I really do. Its cute.

View PostGutterBoy5, on 28 December 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:

Obviously one of those brain dead fools that believe assaults are the only true mech, & that lights are unbeatable both accounts wrong . Light are powerful ATM only cause they broken & any good med pilot find atlas easy to take down & light are a great snack in between.

When weight restrictions come in mediums are gonna be the most need class as they good weight filler for good fire power for its weight.

Love my mediums my favourite class of mech.

You should do the calculations sometime on mechs vs weapons they can carry. Efficiency goes up as tonnage goes up, especially since heat sinks can cool groups of weapons and you can expand your weapon groups from a few weapons to multiple ranges of weapons and so on. Just check out battle values in Sarna and a curve should be apparent for light-assault to weak-strong.

#92 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:54 PM

Don't worry about it, They're probably the kind of players who pilot nothing but assault mechs, and get regularly owned by a lance of lights. Every weight class has their use in game, some players understand this fact, others are in permanent denial.

#93 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:18 PM

View PostMyomes, on 28 December 2013 - 08:52 PM, said:

you miss the point entirely. Mediums are only viable If a Meta is introduced vis a vis tonnage restrictions or another metric.

The entire point of this thread has been how much of an asset you are to the other team, NOT whether YOU feel mediums are fun, which somehow makes them viable.

YOU may enjoy playing a dead weight mech and that's fine, but you have to acknowledge that people who enjoy winning matches will feel you are dead weight, and you will have to get used to that.

How do I know it's not just me? Because the OP created the thread based on experiences with OTHER people. I really do like how you try to pull a Russ "you're on an island" troll, I really do. Its cute.

Again. Inability to comprehend different values. Separate conversation. You get the drift.

I reread the OP's post word for word again. All he asked was if anyone had ever been shamed and told they were unwelcome on a team because of what they were using. That was it. He didn't even really explain if he enjoys the chassis, or not, just that he was in a medium. Undoubtedly someone like you felt it necessary to inform him he was a wasted asset

Thus there really is no question that's directly asked. So both you and I project 2 very different views on the matter. Yours is "Your mech is terrible and you should feel terrible for choosing it. Everything you know of the chassis is wrong and you should play how I play because I'm better than you." Mine is "I have fun piloting mediums. If you have fun piloting mediums then pilot mediums. Don't ever let anyone tell you what you should be piloting or how to play to have fun."

The difference between you and I is that I understand your point of view. I disagree with where you're coming from but I under stand it. Heck, I even acknowledge that in the current meta 1v1 a medium is inferior to an assault (assuming all factors equal) with VERY FEW, if any, exceptions. You, however, seem to be utterly incapable of comprehending that I don't care that I'm not piloting the best of the best of the best sir with honors and that there are others out there who also do not care.

Hence, I say to all pilots out there, if you think mediums are fun to pilot then pilot them. Pilot them and have fun piloting them and laugh at any hater or try hard who doesn't understand you. But don't hate the, instead pity them, because they are forced by their own imaginary rules to pilot the same 3 mechs all of the time and, frankly, that's a pretty boring way to play the game (even if it is effective).

Edited by Raso, 28 December 2013 - 09:34 PM.

#94 Myomes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:54 PM

He asked with the implication that some felt that way. I provided a reasonable and logical explanation why they felt that way and told him they felt that way. You go "I'm still viable in a match and just as useful! WAAH!", and then try to spin it into just saying that if youre having fun it's all that matters when you get crushed in the debate.

#95 DrnkJawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 488 posts
  • LocationIn an urbie aiming at your crotch

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:12 PM

View PostMyomes, on 28 December 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

No no no no no....
Were like functioning alcoholics....were like rodeo clowns without the bulls

#96 Son of the Flood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 397 posts
  • LocationTier 3 basement - searching for funyuns and mountain dew

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:14 AM

View PostDazzer, on 27 December 2013 - 04:54 AM, said:

Hello all,

Today while PUG-íng I was told at the start of the match that my Medium Mech (Hunchback 4P) was not welcome in the team. That I should play a heavy or assault or a light.

Then that my medium was in fact a liability to the team.

Has any one else had this please ? its was rather nasty.

I've played a bunch of matches in mediums and don't recall ever getting called out like this. The closest I've ever come was shortly after the blackjack came out. There were two on our team (me in one of them) and a guy started berating us with "why would anyone take a [Scrap mech] like a blackjack" and other choice comments.

The other [Scrap mech] and I combined for 4 or 5 kills, good damage, and had fun en route to a victory. Our constructive feedback challenged compatriot meanwhile spent a good chunk of the match spectating and ended up with 0 kills and sub 100 damage.

Clearly some mechs and builds are better than others ( I will be the first to admit the BJ isn't the best mech in the game, but I enjoyed playing it while being relatively effective), but any mech in the hands of a skilled player can be lethal. To call someone a liability and unwelcome in a PUG match because they are in a particular class of mech is rude, absurd, and all in all pretty d baggy.

Fortunately most of the folks I've encountered in my almost 1 year playing mwo have been fun to drop with, so to the OP I say don't let the minority ruin the game for you. Keep playing mediums if you like and have fun!

Edited by John Wolf, 29 December 2013 - 05:03 AM.
Language Filter

#97 Crazywolf77

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 46 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:33 AM

Well, I am mostly running around in assaults. And when I see a Hunchy or a catafract aproaching me, I on't think: "yay easy enemy-team's-liability-target", I think something like: "Ohoh...double LBX inc." or in case of the hunchy: "STAND STILL!..STOP CIRCLING...YOU...eat my ac20...boom...WHY AREN'T YOU DEAD YET!?!?!"

And even if I win these encounters my Atlas' armor is mostly gone and I am an easy target for the others.

Oh, and damn those ecm cicadas!!

Edit: Wipe that cataphract line.... Sorry.... i have a cold.

Edited by Crazywolf77, 29 December 2013 - 02:53 AM.

#98 Myomes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:21 AM

third person view is great against face hugging light circler mechs.

Edited by Myomes, 29 December 2013 - 02:22 AM.

#99 mikelovskij

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:33 AM

View PostMyomes, on 28 December 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

Wrong again, sparky. A metagame is the inclusion of something such as tonnage limits or some other metrics to force "equal" confrontations, similar to weight classes in fighting sports.

With no tonnage restriction or anything else, you can do the same in an assault. Two assaults are going to be that much stronger than an assault and a medium.

Let's say theoretically your entire side was 12 assaults, and the other side completely full of medium lovers. Let's further say that these assaults bring multirange systems, LRM + Ac/20 and so on. They are a perfect group of Sun Tzu mechs, by holding out advantages to him, he can cause the enemy to approach of his own accord; or, by inflicting damage, he can make it impossible for the enemy to draw near. The assaults can stay in groups of four, separated by a hundred meters or so in a broad formation. Should the medium group try to attack from the side, the assault group on that side can simply aim to the outside of the formation, and then the middle assault group is covering the rears of the one under attack. Mechs who try to "flank" the assault group under attack are going to expose their backs to assault mechs. A poor choice.

Beyond that, simple blob formation works even better if the assaults take and hold a map position that makes artillery and airstrikes hard, if not impossible to hit them. Ridges on alpine is a good example, if they have long range weaponry to pin down enemy mechs.

By the time the team of mediums figures out they're losing guys to an all assault team, they may say "we should run and hide". Well, they can do that infinitely long until time runs out, but unless they actually fight, they're going to lose by having a higher body count. So the idea of chasing down hurt and running enemy mechs doesn't really matter for winning. There's no way they can cycle their team out as and HP buffering system to prevent complete losses and succeed against and all assault force that has good tactics and strategy.

Assault armor keeps you alive longer and gives you more guns. Flanking and other business is simply details that are poorly executed by PuGs.

What if u bring a team of 8 assaults and 4 mediums vs 12 assaults instead? I bet the one with the mediums would win.

#100 LiGhtningFF13

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:04 AM

OMG nice team, was this match about something more serious?! Or just for fun?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users