Have You Been Told That A Medium Mech Is Not Welcome In The Team ?

242 replies to this topic

#221 Boldar

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 82 posts
  • LocationGlinde

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:52 AM

I almost always shake my head when damage numbers are used to prove that you are useful.

I have had lots of matches with a load of damage where we lost, because the other team gathered more resources or our base got capped.
And of course there were the usual 'LAME!!!' comments in the chat if the base got capped. But someone on the other team (maybe a medium) made his job (read the objectives, capping is a legitimate means of winning) and our team just forgot about our job (capping or defending the base). And more often than not the guys in their assaults who complain about your 'medium Mech ruining the chance to win' play like a {Dezgra} and try to run down that Jenner who nicked their torso armor.

Damage number sometimes say very little about how well you played. You can take a Muromets, put in 3 AC5 and 4 med lasers and put up damage numbers of 1K and more regularly, but maybe your aim is not really that good, so you spread it around on the enemy Mechs and fail to kill them quickly. You can take an Atlas down by dealing 400+ damage (if you spread it round enough) over some minutes, but ideally you hit the head once or twice and he is down in seconds. First method looks better on paper, second method is better for your chances of winning.
Usually I try to take them down by taking out the CT or sides, depends on XL engine or not. (I said try, not manage...)
I have more respect for someone making 5 kills with 200 damage than for someone with 1 kill and 1000 damage.
Although: one of my worst games was with 1 kill and 20 damage. Hit a locust in the back with my AC20 (in a medium, btw.) but failed to notice the Assault in my rear :ph34r:

If you take a long bringing down a mech he will deal out damage at the same time. If you do it quick, he will deal less damage.
How fast you can take someone down is not a matter of your Mech alone, it´s a matter of how you play.
If you play badly in general, it will not matter in which Mech you arrive. If you are playing good you are good in (almost) any Mech.

And first of all, this is a game, do what is the most fun for you (without ruining it for your teammates).

#222 Edustaja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:13 AM

Nothing wrong with bringing any mech into a pug fight.

#223 BaconCouch

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:48 AM

I love my hunchback 4sp running the dual srm 6's and 4 ML's
People saying mediums are sub-par can shut it....

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...73f49c72301a43b
That being said, my favorite mech is the much-maligned dragon :wub:

Edited by BaconCouch, 06 January 2014 - 07:51 AM.

#224 Helsbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:52 AM

View PostMyomes, on 05 January 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

your disengagement theory only matters when someone runs ahead of the group or otherwise isolates themselves, at which point they will be outgunned and it makes sense to "disengage". that hasn't put any holes in the concept that a well formed group of 12 100 tonners have double armor and double guns, and therefore are statistically the group who will win every time, especially if they play smart. Mediums rely on enemy weakness to succeed.Answer me this: Why are there weight divisions in every martial sport? How come someone 150 lb isnt matched up to someone 250 lb in boxing or any other bloodlust sport? Maybe because in an enclosed space, speed means nothing?

Royce Gracie is the living embodiment of proof that your little comparison above is very, very wrong. Back in the early days of the UFC, it was simply martial arts style vs. martial arts style. No weight categories, no gloves, just see what your style could do against all others. He regularly defeated fighters far heavier than he was, winning pretty much every fight he had in the early days of the UFC.

#225 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:21 PM

Srms on a 4p. buahahahahahahahahahahaha ohh man I'm dying here. hahahaha

#226 Myomes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

View PostKhajja  nar Jatargk, on 06 January 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:

Srms on a 4p. buahahahahahahahahahahaha ohh man I'm dying here. hahahaha

You use SRMs or other splattery guns to inflate your damage done.
as in, laser spam. But congrats on failing reading comprehension.

#227 Vanguard319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:19 PM

View PostMyomes, on 06 January 2014 - 01:05 PM, said:

And what do you define as "splattery guns"? the only weapons that can't be spammed are PPCs, gauss rifles and heavier Autocannons, and judging by one of your previous posts, you consider those "easy damage".

#228 Myomes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

View PostVanguard319, on 06 January 2014 - 01:19 PM, said:

And what do you define as "splattery guns"? the only weapons that can't be spammed are PPCs, gauss rifles and heavier Autocannons, and judging by one of your previous posts, you consider those "easy damage".
clearly, you didn't read what I typed whatsoever.

#229 SixstringSamurai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 930 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Guys Are So Bad I'm Moving To The Moon

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:25 PM

View PostDazzer, on 27 December 2013 - 04:54 AM, said:

Hello all,

Today while PUG-íng I was told at the start of the match that my Medium Mech (Hunchback 4P) was not welcome in the team. That I should play a heavy or assault or a light.

Then that my medium was in fact a liability to the team.

Has any one else had this please ? its was rather nasty.

I think it was probably directed more at that specific hunchback. While the 4P can be deadly, it can also be rendered completely useless rather fast. It's H I T (gg profanity filter) box and geometry allow for your "hunch" torso to be damaged from all sides and all but 2 energy hard points destroyed (remaining arm and head laser). Since the most common load out is 9x lasers your range to engage is 450 or less meaning you'll probably be dead before you can close the distance to actually deal damage.

That being said, it is possible to mount 3 ER LLs on it and use it to attack targets that wander far enough from the main body. The more traditional build still has a place as well but it's better suited to enter the fight towards the end of the engagement or after a good portion of the brawl has started. It can be devastating if you learn how to slip into the fight unseen and attack already wounded targets or LRM based mechs.

Honestly the person who told you this will probably never be anything short of a dolt, lacks knowledge of common tactics, and doesn't understand role based game play. The only reason to ever get upset about a particular mech is when the pilot has wasted the potential of the mech by under equipping it. For example I have seen a person in a heavy armed with only 2 AC2s and trying to play it on the front line as a brawler. That I could see someone saying something about your mech.

Edited by SixStringSamurai, 06 January 2014 - 06:27 PM.

#230 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,377 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

View PostMyomes, on 06 January 2014 - 02:41 PM, said:

clearly, you didn't read what I typed whatsoever.

Considering you pick and choose which posts are convenient to reply to, this shouldn't be surprising.

#231 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

A recommendation for all: quit replying to Myomes. The man is clearly more belligerent than not and has no interest in discussion or debate. Let the troll die on the vine, anyone whose mind can be swayed has already seen all the arguments that need to be stated on the matter.

#232 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

View PostMyomes, on 06 January 2014 - 01:05 PM, said:

It already too late for retractions there good buddy ;)

#233 Mr Carter

• Pip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:47 AM

To reply to the OP: ignore the naysayers, mediums are fun and effective. I've solo killed Victors in my Kintaro before, and I tend to be equally deadly in my Treb or Hawk. Rock that Hunchie to your heart's content.

To the people who think 12 heavies/assaults is the only way to win 12-man, I was in a 12-man last night that went 6-1 and had a full lance of mediums. My outfit even once fielded a full 12-man of mediums against an RHOD team of all Highlander/Victor poptarts and won. A big part of those wins was the fact that mediums bring more tactical options to the table that heavies, assaults, and (in multiple respects) even lights can't match. Just because mediums look inferior on paper from a biased armchair perspective does not mean that they are pieces of trash in reality. No offense, but your perspective is limited; you probably just don't understand how to use them properly. Go broaden your horizons, you will be better for it.

#234 Bene Gesserit

• Pip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

View PostAmsro, on 27 December 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

Mediums are the workhorse of the mech classes, chase lights, battle other mediums and support your heavies and assaults.

Totaly agree, I love my blackjack and have even had a few rounds over 800 damage. Don't let any of the stupid people get in your head. They don't have any idea what their talking about.

#235 dr bongstorm

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:35 AM

what a joke. my 4p and kto-18 beg to differ. the 4p has the equivalent of an ac-40 on a shorter cool down and moves at 98 kph and my 18 has a 70 point alpha and goes 103.

almost always in the top three for the team in those two.

#236 thepartisan

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

After reading this........ thread and the post of particular individuals, I felt it necessary to add something to the little inferno cooking on the usability of mediums.

Mediums are terrible. Face it. They have nothing that makes them stand out from any other class in the game except that they can do a bit of everything. It doesn't mean you shouldn't pilot them. In fact piloting them will help you master certain skills that are applicable to heavier mechs. I learnt how to torso twist mechs in my YLW ( and my YLW is by far my most successful mech of all time). I also learnt how to stay in cover and always attack when the 'proverbial' pants of the enemies are on their knees when I dabbled with trenchbuckets. I learnt to stay with the groups whenever possible for many different reasons (survival included)

There is something important to mention though, that you will rarely get to see in a PUG environment (where I find myself most of the times) Teamwork is really,really important for mediums to work. They just can't survive on their own against other mechs in different classes. Yes, you can spec your mech to deal with lights, but you leave yourself vulnerable to other classes that will chew you up. That also applies to the other classes. That is where your other team mates will make up for your deficiencies. But until they address the teamwork problem (which I highly doubt will ever be resolved in the PUG matches due to everybody being armchair generals), the medium will always be prey towards other classes. In the end does my post count for anything? No. it does not, because everybody has their own opinion. I personally prefer to play mediums because I love being ignored (helps me knife people in the back)

Another note I need to make is to the AC/20 inflating viability of mediums. As long as the chassis supports a particular weapon, then it should mount it. It fits into the current insta particular point damage gaming that we find ourselves in. Don't judge a class by the weapons it can wield. I am deathly more afraid of mediums with big Auto-cannons than anything else.

#237 Smitti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 475 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFrog-blasting between BioVent Core #88A and #88B

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:23 AM

I would like to add something... I just witnessed a skirmish game (the dominion of heavies and assaults) where a medium (griffin 1s) flanked the enemy engagement, provided sniper and LRM fire, then after the rest of the team wiped, proceeded to out pace and out maneuver the remaining six enemies and annihilate them all with ERPPC and LRM fire. I would challenge any heavy or assault to do that.

Edit: Because pics or it didn't happen.

Posted Image

Edited by Smittiferous, 09 January 2014 - 02:54 PM.

#238 wintersborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

The only mediums I have used that are better than others for its role, is the Cicada 3M (Fast, ECM/Sniper/Scout) and the KTO18 (Fast, Streak boating light killer).

I think people should play what they want but there are real benefits to the "Meta Mechs".

#239 Goregrimm

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:19 AM

I just wanted to add my voice to the medium mech lovefest. If I had to pick one chassis to play from now until Doomsday it would be the Centurion. Maybe the Wolverine. And the Shadow Hawk. Griffins are nice too.

#240 ColdPsyker1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:54 AM

View Postthepartisan, on 07 January 2014 - 12:58 PM, said:

Mediums are terrible. Face it. They have nothing that makes them stand out from any other class in the game except that they can do a bit of everything.

I can, quite literally, shoot behind me in my hunchback. You would not believe how much the mobility advantages provide if you know how to use them.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users