The Underrated Locust

4831 replies to this topic

#41 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:24 AM

Shar Wolf: Bonus points for the Mega Man reference!

The Locust can be a threat, yes, but unless there are tonnage limits or some other mechanical reason for it's light weight to be an asset, it'll remain a fragile light that tends to die fast and surprisingly.

#42 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

View PostEmo Duck, on 23 January 2014 - 09:06 AM, said:

Just wanted to thank you for this. It doesn't help that MWO has "torsi" in one of its loading screen hints.

Torsi is actually a valid alternate spelling. I looked it up, 'cause it seemed weird to me, too.

Edited by Void Angel, 23 January 2014 - 10:38 AM.

#43 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:05 AM

Megaman 2 was the best Megaman. ;)

#44 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

So!

Long story short:
If you opposition is the kind that is likely to ignore smaller threats:
The Locust is very underrated (lotta potential firepower in one)

If not....
The Locust is a deathtrap.

#45 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts
  • LocationSunshine state.

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:42 PM

View PostSnagaDance, on 24 January 2014 - 01:05 AM, said:

Megaman 2 was the best Megaman. :unsure:

Edited by AaronWolf, 24 January 2014 - 02:44 PM.

#46 GlizzyGobbler98

LeBoeuf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:53 PM

Locust useless?

PLS.

#47 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

That's HILARIOUS!

And the ahahah... the Stalker... can't figure it out! AHAHAHAHA!

#48 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:52 AM

I gotta admit, I laughed like a baboon at that Stalker, man...I can't tell you how many times I've replayed that UFO clip and cackled.

Top-quality trolling right there, B33f. Hats off to you, and you've convinced me to trade out one of my 3M's lasers and its sole spare heat sink for AMS systems. I hadn't even noticed the double AMS before this. Shows how observant I am.

#49 GlizzyGobbler98

LeBoeuf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:12 PM

Double AMS helps a lot with light hunter. Their puny streaks can't get you.

#50 FERAL TIGER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

View PostVoivode, on 15 January 2014 - 10:37 AM, said:

I've been running my LOLcust lately and hitting 300-400 damage a match. It's pretty unbelievable that something that looks that bad on paper can do that well in game.

I have a lot of respect for this build, and the locust in general. before it, lights were merely a nuisance, only harmful if the packed more than 4 medium lasers. After Phoenix came out, I've had more legs shot off by locusts than all other lights combined. Maybe people are getting better in lights, or maybe it's the loadouts. Either way I've increased my leg armor significantly

#51 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

The problem with the Locust is that it only takes one guy to get semi-lucky with an AC/20 and you're screwed. If you're able to engage when they can't afford to pay attention to you, it's awesome. If anyone takes the time to put fire on you while you're shooting someone else, it's a short day at the office.

#52 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:51 PM

It would help a lot if they fixed its armor and structure to be in a linear progression with the Commando and other 'mechs. The structure and armor capacity of the Locust is proportionally less than it would be if you were comparing a 30 with a 25-tonner. This is per canon, but the reason the Locust (or any 20-ton 'mech) is like that is that it can hit certain break-points for defensive movement modifiers so easily. A Locust in tabletop moving over open ground can break 10 hexes of movement - a +4 modifier to the to-hit number of the firing 'mech (on 2D6.) It does this for 6 tons of engine weight - 3 with an XL. A Commando, because of the curve on tonnage costs, would require an 8.5 ton engine to achieve the same speed - which works out to 4.5 tons even with XL.

So, to as a trade-off for their extreme speed, 'mechs 20 tons and below had decreasingly proportionate structure (and therefore armor) values for their side torsos and limbs. The Locust doesn't enjoy the same arbitrary break-point in hittability, so it makes sense to me that they not endure the drawback. =) I'll have to bug PGI about it when they're not busy with UI 2.0.

Edited by Void Angel, 27 January 2014 - 11:32 PM.

#53 CuriousCabbitBlue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 228 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:16 PM

the glass cannon assassins or the lead shields lol. I do plan to pick them up after getting elite on commandos

edit: dat ufo lol

Edited by CuriousCabbitBlue, 28 January 2014 - 12:17 AM.

#54 levitas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:10 PM

I revisited my locust today after a fairly long break from the chassis. Decided to update my build in an attempt to optimize how I wanted to play, and ended up with this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c04783deb0ad851

5xMLas, XL190, BAP
Arty and air strikes and target info gathering for modules

Basically, I hadn't run the locust with strikes before, and target info gathering is a new thing for me.

The results are fantastic. Target info gathering and BAP reduce the time I need to have someone locked from 3 to 1.5 seconds before I know exactly where my 25 point alpha needs to go. Both games I played today had 2 kills, which I consider very good in the locust. Arty strikes from a locust are incredibly satisfying too.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you haven't tried target info gathering and BAP together, try it. Do it now. It's almost liberating. The increased range, counter ECM, and ability to retain locks on powered down mechs is just the icing on the half time information cake.

This build took me from playing a locust because "I want to play with the odds solidly against me for a game" to "wow, this almost feels legit"

EDIT: The last few games I've played have really been incredible. I just traded for ~9 times my weight in a hot build on terra therma, doing the most damage on either team, scoring more kills, and getting the most points.

Posted Image

Edited by solar levitas, 30 January 2014 - 09:48 PM.

#55 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

had some locust fun yesterday. some friends and i decided to have a "lights" run so we ended up dropping in 2 Locust 1Vs, a spider and me in a Locust 3S. our team saw us and immediately starting rolling their eyes, one guy typed out the "GG close alpha lance" before the match started. we ended up winning 12-8 and the bug swarm accounted for 5 kills and about 1200 dmg. granted the spider was the sole survivor of us but still.

yeah we got stomped in a few other matches and won a few others as well but we'd account for at least half our team's kills and half of us would be in the top 4 in damage every match we dropped in (varied from 3 or 4 of us- yeah a premade but we didn;t really communicate overly much except to crack up over getting kills).

then i switched to my jenner F and couldn't buy a win the whole day. :ph34r: clearly they need a buff :(

#56 mbebe23

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

I enjoy Locust more and more. Inspired by Koniving I run the Locust 3M with ER PPC. Whenever I see the enemy I run (if I'm on scouting mission). Never fight in a fair fight in this thing. But when you are careful... you cann kill 2 battlemasters and get something like this:
https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

High risk game each game :P That is sweeet!

#57 mbebe23

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

Thank you IraqiWalker for this guide to Locust. As of now my LCT-3S with 4xSRM2 and 2 tons of ammo killed 3 atlai and rising!

#58 Supersmacky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 239 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:33 PM

This is my favorite Locust to use: LCT-3M "Stinger"

#59 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 18 January 2014 - 03:18 PM, said:

had a nice 500 dmg game in my Spl 3m today. Hey walker, we'll have to duel again sometime

Absolutely, I would love that.

View PostTheB33f, on 25 January 2014 - 03:53 PM, said:

Locust useless?

PLS.

Oh my god that is beautiful.

View Postmbebe23, on 13 February 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

Thank you IraqiWalker for this guide to Locust. As of now my LCT-3S with 4xSRM2 and 2 tons of ammo killed 3 atlai and rising!

My pleasure my friend. I would love to see your locust on the field someday, hopefully on my side.

Also, thank you guys for all your input, I enjoy running these little monstrosities and wanted to share that with people.

#60 Hauser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 976 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

View Postmbebe23, on 09 February 2014 - 02:15 PM, said:

Never fight in a fair fight in this thing.

This really sums it up for me. Never engage when you can't win and don't stick around for the return fire. Seems to annoy people on Skirmish to no end though. :lol:

I also tend to make 140k in a round when won rather then the usual 100k so I'm no longer bothered about using artillery and/or air strikes. These really are the most powerful weapons a Locust can bring.

Edited by Hauser, 16 February 2014 - 05:36 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users