• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:49 AM

View PostLuighseach, on 25 February 2014 - 08:45 AM, said:

From the way I know how the ELO rating works, the system is broken. The only way an ELO type system could work in this game is bases solely on a team rating and not individuals. Since teams are usually only together for 1 match it is pointless to use this type of rating system.

The only system I think could begin to match players would be to take into consideration of the Mech build(how much they have put into the mech), Average damage per match, Average score per match, Average kill Ratio per match, Accuracy rating, and the biggest rating would be an "effective rating" or how much the person effects the match through spotting kills, protectiong etc. All of these would have to be weighted and tested to give the overall match making system.
Sorta. Except actual teams (Merc Commands) we drop together or weeks at a time. and certain combos within the command. I have up t 8 months of drops with some of the Law.

#622 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:05 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 25 February 2014 - 08:34 AM, said:

We are a group of Present and Former Military personnel. And it still fluxes with who is teamed with you!

Also... I thought it was spelled different!
Posted Image

I'm pretty sure I got it right.....the "Space Legion" refers to them as "Omega Company" or "The Omega Mob," though. I'm hoping that they'll eventually allow the whole decal thing...not holding my breath, but it'll be a happy surprise if they ever allow it.

From the way I know how the ELO rating works, the system is broken. The only way an ELO type system could work in this game is bases solely on a team rating and not individuals. Since teams are usually only together for 1 match it is pointless to use this type of rating system.

Yep. Been said over and over and over again. Elo is a system developed for chess. Chess is a 1 on 1 game where both players start out completely equal and take turns. MW:O is just a little bit different...what with 24 players, different builds, different speeds, etc. Yep, we've been over this.

The only system I think could begin to match players would be to take into consideration of the Mech build(how much they have put into the mech), Average damage per match, Average score per match, Average kill Ratio per match, Accuracy rating, and the biggest rating would be an "effective rating" or how much the person effects the match through spotting kills, protectiong etc. All of these would have to be weighted and tested to give the overall match making system.

Huh. Sounds an awful lot like that whole Battle Value (BV) system that we've been hollering about, huh?

Not opening that can of worms again.

What you're about to get is a system that allows each team to have 3 assaults, 3 heavies, 3 mediums and 3 lights. No substitutions. It's not going to take any equipment into account (to the best of my knowledge)...so you could very well end up with a team that has 9 ECM mechs on it (3 Atlas D-DCs, 3 Cicadas, 3 Spiders). And odds are pretty good that when this is implemented, it'll be broken and buggy. But we'll get told that it's a "work in progress" and that we should "be patient" as it will be fixed in the next patch....two weeks or more down the road.

"Those that do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

PGI should REALLY take those words to heart.

Edited by Willard Phule, 25 February 2014 - 09:05 AM.

#623 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

Well the "effective rating" they have, they say, is their ELO rating system. They say thats the Truest and most Honest way, and the least maniputable way of coming about that. But who knows how long it takes to get accurated rated that way. . They just don't take anything else into account. I think match score is the most obvious way to go, especially when its more about individual scores, and not team wins at all in the first place. with a random team game mode built around cbills. Which i agree should be added to the equation.

But then again, just like it takes alot of games to get ELO rated, it probably takes alot of people for any change to really mean either. Because if they have to keep the skill gap wide enough so noone has long search times......so in reality there is probably just not enough people at certain skill brackets, so change will really matter much.

Edited by RichAC, 25 February 2014 - 01:15 PM.

#624 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:56 PM

View PostRichAC, on 23 February 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:

well go ahead and set that up in a private match then. Go haze and bully some new recruits. OR go play with your friends or other units and have a casual match.

But I think PGI made this game to make money, and most people would like to see it more popular. People already complain about the new player experience, and many players get turned off. There is definitely a learning curve which is frustrating enough regardless of teams and I'm definitely not against making the game more fair.

My stats have been tanking this past week...lol

The problem with that theory is that I am not here for just the sake of fighting, I want CW. I am not the only one, so yea they will keep the casual crowd, but are those the ones spending money???

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 25 February 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

Well none of this arguing really matters in the end. My friend Nick here was vociferous about maintaining his advantage at the sake of others suffering. and was warned that he needed to be careful what he asked for because he just might get it,
He did in full measure and not to his benefit. Sorry about that but try taking it graciously for once.

Still here we are with lesson not learned. Some in his camp were wise enough to see the writing on the wall and I would like to thank then for using critical thought and a small portion of empathy for others.

Nick, No such luck as he is adamant of riding the backs of others for his pleasure.

Myself I think killing groups is not the answer but I also see how it may change attitudes in time. Hopefully PGI can find a balance and bring everyone in . Nuff said. Done with this thread.

Yea whatever, you are just butt hurt over me reporting you.

You keep on saying the same old shit. You don't know me, but you keep saying I am a cruel, sadistic *******. We both know that's because you have issues with authority and with my LE background you automatically have a problem with me.

Whatever man....have a nice day. I look forward to getting the kill shot next time.....

#625 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:20 AM

You don't sound like a Cop Nick! u haven't once mentioned hitting a Badger with your patrol car!

(Its an Inside BattleCorps joke)

#626 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:11 AM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 25 February 2014 - 07:56 PM, said:

The problem with that theory is that I am not here for just the sake of fighting, I want CW. I am not the only one, so yea they will keep the casual crowd, but are those the ones spending money???

Form a 12 man?

Its ironic how many other posters keep saying that its someones own fault for not being in a group. But then we are supposed to feel sorry guys who claim they don't have enough for 12 man? lol When usually they can easily form one if they really wanted?

I mean your speaking of casual play verse what? Competitive play? hardcore play? And you expect me to believe your a competitive player that likes a challenge, when you are suggesting you be rewarded for playing, against random players, in a premade? When that is less challenging then playing against another premade?

Who is the casual player? the guy who demands his winnings?

Maybe PGI should just make a game mode where you qeue against other teams of any size. If its true you can't get 12.......but hopefully you guys don't complain if they search keeps failing after a little while, or that your matched up against people who are gonna wipe the floor with you in less then 30 seconds.

Edited by RichAC, 27 February 2014 - 04:18 AM.

#627 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:34 AM

View PostRichAC, on 27 February 2014 - 04:11 AM, said:

Form a 12 man?

Its ironic how many other posters keep saying that its someones own fault for not being in a group. But then we are supposed to feel sorry guys who claim they don't have enough for 12 man? lol When usually they can easily form one if they really wanted?

I mean your speaking of casual play verse what? Competitive play? hardcore play? And you expect me to believe your a competitive player that likes a challenge, when you are suggesting you be rewarded for playing, against random players, in a premade? When that is less challenging then playing against another premade?

Who is the casual player? the guy who demands his winnings?

Maybe PGI should just make a game mode where you qeue against other teams of any size. If its true you can't get 12.......but hopefully you guys don't complain if they search keeps failing after a little while, or that your matched up against people who are gonna wipe the floor with you in less then 30 seconds.

DEVs themselves want us to group up. Or the Predrop screen advice of the day would not include a gem like, "Get together with some friends, form a group an improve your chances of victory."

The makers of the game encourage pre made teams for the sole reason of improving odds of winning. :(

#628 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:11 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 27 February 2014 - 04:34 AM, said:

DEVs themselves want us to group up. Or the Predrop screen advice of the day would not include a gem like, "Get together with some friends, form a group an improve your chances of victory."

The makers of the game encourage pre made teams for the sole reason of improving odds of winning. :(

Oh...don't get me started on those Game Tips. There's even a button you can select to turn them off....but it doesn't.

"Teamwork greatly increases you chances of success" (or something to that effect) is the one that makes me laugh so hard, I almost blow beer out my nose. No kidding, you think? The problem with that whole concept is that how, exactly, do you propose we get 12 people that have differing levels of skill and experience, most of which don't speak a common language, to actually work together? Sure, you see it happen sometimes, on maps that everyone has seen the easiest way to win (like taking the high ground on Alpine)...but it doesn't happen all the time.

As for the whole 12 man thing....here's the opposite side of the coin. I have a unit I could be part of, if I wished it. AND, even though to my knowledge, they only do 12 man drops for league play...they still get together in 4 mans and sync drop. I simply choose not to be a part of it. It takes so long between rounds, just waiting for everyone to ready up, that it's not fun for me. I prefer to drop solo into a PUG match....and, apparently, 84% of people agree with me.

Why should we be FORCED to join some unit so we can experience well balanced games? Haven't I paid my cold, hard cash for mechs and danglies like everyone else? Aren't I allowed to experience well balanced, fun games? Isn't that the point, to have fun?

We can sit here and pontificate about "what should" or "what could" or whatever to do to the matchmaker to make it a more enjoyable experience for everyone involved, but ultimately....it all boils down to what PGI is capable of and/or willing to do. And, unfortunately, historical evidence shows that whatever it is they're going to do will only be halfway completed when it's released...and what is released will be broken. But, have no fear, we'll be told that it's a "work in progress" and that we should "be patient while the bugs are worked out, there's a hotfix on the way." Then, we'll get more cockpit items.

Bah.

Edited by Willard Phule, 27 February 2014 - 05:12 AM.

#629 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:19 AM

Well we used t be able to go to the TS3 NA or EU servers and group up. I had a few drops with some Germans and I think a Scandinavian once. Lucky for me they had learned English in school, cause foreign languages were electives back in my day, and I elected to stay ignorant. :( :angry:

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 27 February 2014 - 05:20 AM.

#630 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:13 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 27 February 2014 - 05:19 AM, said:

Well we used t be able to go to the TS3 NA or EU servers and group up. I had a few drops with some Germans and I think a Scandinavian once. Lucky for me they had learned English in school, cause foreign languages were electives back in my day, and I elected to stay ignorant. :angry: B)

Dude. Don't even get me started. I went to a suburban school in Iowa. The only foreign language we had available (and was required) was French. Who the hell speaks French? Even the French don't speak French. If I started parlay vooing the fransay...I might as well just jump out of my mech and surrender. :(

#631 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:41 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 27 February 2014 - 04:34 AM, said:

The makers of the game encourage pre made teams for the sole reason of improving odds of winning. :)

I'm not sure what this has to do with my reply.

I replied to the guy the he can still form a 4 man or a 12 man group to play with friends....

I also said I should not feel sorry for him that he does not have enough for a 12 man group, if he feels the same way about others for not having enough for a 4 man group.....

The point is everyone can play with friends if they want....... And its really about undermining an ELO system and avoiding a matchmaker for easy rewards, which is being unsportlike period.

Edited by RichAC, 02 March 2014 - 07:41 AM.

#632 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,611 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:07 PM

A lot of matches with no Assaults on one team and 2-3 on the other. This is a loss made by ELO.

One team gets no Atlas or one and the other team gets four. Same thing, even if the Atlas pilots are new they still have damage-sponge armor to soak up anything the other team might throw at them for several minutes.

One thing ELO will never balance is PGI's GunWarrior version of MechWarrior which throws Battletech balance out the window. Guns are not affected by Heat Scale or DHS 1.4, in fact they are buffed by it since Guns essentially come with DHS 2.0's built in because of how cool they run. So a team of Jagermechs and Cataphracts will beat any other heavies and ELO can't see that.

#633 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:09 PM

Yeah, I occasionally run with a few others as a very loose 2-4 man. No voice comms though.

I dropped with a group of 12 maybe twice before I decided I was more interested in playing the game than waiting for everyone to get ready. No more of that even when invited.

I've had offers from at least half a dozen troops to join them, but I'm just not interested in all that.

I'm a Solo Pugger that occasionally will drop with like minded aquaintances.

#634 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:20 AM

View PostRichAC, on 27 February 2014 - 04:11 AM, said:

PGI did have a que that players and groups of all sizes could drop together. Then PUGs complained and it was changed to what we have now.

I don't understand the anti Team PUG. I play more as a PUG than I do as a Lawman, I have never had a issue with playing against teams from day one. Maybe cause I know that the best team wins a match. Its a team game, where teams fight each other. and when it is over, THE BEST TEAM WINS.

That does not mean you will be on the best team. Not once, not ever. A win does not mean you had fun. A win does not mean YOU did good. Lost a game where I did 700+ damage and got 4 kills, Lost another one that I had 600+ damage and 11 assists. Won several games where I scored under 200 0K 0A. Which games where more fun do you think?

The better team wins the match. If fun is only had in victory Join one of the Super Competitive teams.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 03 March 2014 - 03:27 AM.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users