#21 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:38 AM

View PostPraetor Shepard, on 22 February 2014 - 01:18 AM, said:

Internet can suck, so I'd say treat with a pinch of salt.

Did you really just tell them to rub salt in their wounds? :)

#22 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:11 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 22 February 2014 - 08:38 AM, said:

Did you really just tell them to rub salt in their wounds? :)

Sorry. Post was vague on its own, shoulda quoted.

I meant that some of us have internet issues and are not disconnecting on purpose (by choice). So not all DC's are being malevolent when it happens in a match.

#23 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:12 AM

View PostPraetor Shepard, on 22 February 2014 - 09:11 AM, said:

Sorry. Post was vague on its own, shoulda quoted.

I kinda figured - but it worked either way (as those who dislike how it is set up are already rubbing salt into their own wounds) and it was kinda funny in an awkward kinda way.

#24 Xanilos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationIn the South Wall Cornerclub,Balmora.

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

I use overwolf to take a video of the offence and send that to PGI I figure that makes me a troll's worst nightmare.

#25 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

View PostSoHxPaladin, on 21 February 2014 - 11:30 PM, said:

you will not and cannot sit and wait for the 12 minute ambush solo and win unless your team has done more than their fair share of the work.

it is not legit to sit there and not do anything, realize you wasted your time and not end it for everyone else.

ambush tactics work, but solo ambushes are pointless at teh end of the match when they are looking for you and you are beeing a douche

How the heck would you know? You don't.

For the second, see next response.

No they are not, you are one of those people telling solo Light Mech pilots to charge blazingly into teams near the end.
That's just stupid.
Solo ambushes can work at the end, you just don't think so.
Players like you are a problem, not a solution.

View Postmikelovskij, on 22 February 2014 - 01:46 AM, said:

2- add a surrender vote system that requires an agreement of the 66% or 75% of the still connected players to surrender a game.

Mod this to allowing individual surrender but cut XP and C-Bill benefits to the player giving up at match end by half claiming the half cut was needed to pay costs for prisoner transfer back to friendly side. Also all players on the opposing team get a small bonus.

View PostParappaman, on 22 February 2014 - 01:58 AM, said:

{picture snip}

Until then, I will report the *****'s position to the enemy team, because I feel like the shut down idiot is kidnapping my mech by preventing me from using it in another match.

There are other Mechs to run, you are like the first guy, making stuff up to justify yourself.

It is also considered valid for a weaponless Mech to shut down, why bother continue playing if you cannot fight back except maybe in Conquest?

#26 Ripper X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 343 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

If a lone mech goes off and shuts down just to save his precious KDR in Skirmish or Assault and lets the timer tick down, I WILL give their position to the enemy. I want to play the game and not wait for 8 minutes for some jerk to be found.

#27 Basskicker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:58 AM

View PostMerchant, on 22 February 2014 - 10:38 AM, said:

It is also considered valid for a weaponless Mech to shut down, why bother continue playing if you cannot fight back except maybe in Conquest?

A weaponless mech still has something of value if they still have other teammates. A distraction from a zombied mech can change the outcome of the battle... so shutting down your mech when you are weaponless isn't really a valid strategy. Unless your strategy is just to preserve your k/d ratio.

#28 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:48 PM

The assumption of preserving K/D ratios is exactly that, an assumption.
Whether a weaponless Mech can change a battle outcome depends on what is happening at the time and given the various times I have seen players shutdown, to fluid to say for certainty.
In Assault, they can cap, Skirmish is another matter.

#29 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:40 AM

View PostRipper X, on 22 February 2014 - 10:53 AM, said:

If a lone mech goes off and shuts down just to save his precious KDR in Skirmish or Assault and lets the timer tick down, I WILL give their position to the enemy. I want to play the game and not wait for 8 minutes for some jerk to be found.

Well just so you know, you're the one breaching the TOS so you'll be the one reported if anyone is.

If you don't want to play a 15 minute game, choose another game mode before you press lauch. Honestly it's that easy and something you can control.

#30 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:45 AM

I thought the traditional way of solving this by the Assault pilots still alive is to whine and cry until the timer is over or (in the rare case that it is not skirmish) to waddle over to the cap points while still whining and crying.

#31 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:44 AM

People should stop dying if they don't want to wait for the end of the match to play their mech again.

Nothing is worse than those scrubs who force you to die just because they can't wait.

#32 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:49 AM

Players who use a shutdown as a survival tactic often shutdown facing a wall so that it is more difficult to estimate their location. Some smaller mechs even shut down fully submerged (Caustic Valley, River City).

Shutting down is a perfectly reasonable survival tactic when you are the last mech, with or without weapons (lights, though I'd prefer going out shooting). If you cannot win the game, try to be a factor of influence. I've not seen players shutting down in a remote location to gain XP over their teams back while hardly having fired a shot. I would not mind someone giving away their position...

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 24 February 2014 - 01:53 AM.

#33 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:20 AM

View PostRipper X, on 22 February 2014 - 10:53 AM, said:

Can't find the last guy in Assault? Cap.

The only case it'd even be reasonable is Skirmish, since there's zero alternatives to winning. We had one guy who parked his butt behind the turrets and shut down using a building for cover on Crimson. He had a small laser left and orange CT.

Other team ran in circles and ended up with a tie when the turrets smoked one of them and nearly killed the second before time ran out.

I've had cases where my own team while I was fully functional and moving ratted me out on Skirmish because we couldn't seem to find each other and silly me, I was actually trying to kill but not fast enough for them. Some dim bulb decided to give them a running commentary on my location.

My response? "OK, no more exp for you" and Alt F4'd out. Not my fault you all died 5 minutes in.

I think allowing people to flee off the map wouldn't be bad, though. There are plenty of games nowadays that are going to go 0-12 like this one:

Posted Image

I'd have zero problem letting people just get off the map and end the game that way instead of having to wander around seeking out a ragequit.

#34 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:19 PM

View PostThe Great Unwashed, on 24 February 2014 - 01:49 AM, said:

Players who use a shutdown as a survival tactic often shutdown facing a wall so that it is more difficult to estimate their location. Some smaller mechs even shut down fully submerged (Caustic Valley, River City).

Shutting down is a perfectly reasonable survival tactic when you are the last mech, with or without weapons (lights, though I'd prefer going out shooting). If you cannot win the game, try to be a factor of influence. I've not seen players shutting down in a remote location to gain XP over their teams back while hardly having fired a shot. I would not mind someone giving away their position...

I agree. I'm going to admit right now I did shut down on assault. I never shut down on skirmish as that's a selfish move. On assault I shut down because they can cap the base and the only time I shut down is when the entire enemy team is alive or mostly alive. At which point by myself I'm not going to make a difference. There's no reason to continue to fight and at that point the cap is going to go very quickly anyway. Recently I shut down when I was badly injured, torso was orange, and seven of the enemies were alive. Why fight that in a medium? Not to mention my hunchback didn't even have a hunch anymore.

Someone on my team gave my position away. That person was simultaneously reported for griefing. I'm not going to charge into 7 mechs just to die. That's not fun. I shut down and left my keyboard to get a drink. Plus it's not like I didn't do my part. I still contributed to quite a decent amount of damage. Had several assists and a kill under my belt. I did what I could during the match. Just my two cents.

There was also another time where after my team was destroyed I went behind a building on the map with the turrets and powered off. Four enemies were left in bad shape. I was the only one left. After a bit I powered on, peeked out from behind the building, and got two alphas into an orion's back dropping it. I moved behind the building as the other team began spinning around looking for me and powered off. After a bit when they weren't facing my direction I powered on and took another down. Duked it out with a third and dropped him. Still died to the fourth but still.. had someone given my position away I wouldn't have even come close to nearly winning the match.

When I power off it's only because I don't think I can contribute. If I find I'm in a position where I can. I power back on and re-engage. I'm not trying to escape battle. Often times I'm sitting there trying to think up (while no one is aware of my presence) how I can do as much damage as possible or even turn the match around. So sometimes if you give away your teammate's position you might be screwing over his strategy.

Edited by Reslin, 24 February 2014 - 01:29 PM.

#35 PACoFist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 270 posts
  • LocationThe Eye Of Chaos

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:49 AM

When you are completely disarmed you can still work for your team, even in skirmish. Either do some scouting or stick with your team to draw some enemy fire and help them survive longer.
I remember a match with my Trebuchet, where I got both arms blown off (no weapons left). But there were only a few players still alive on both sides. I followed a friendly Hunch when we met a single enemy. Some heavy or assault, I dont remember, but it was big and slow. I start running circles around it while the Hunchback opens fire. And the enemy completely ignores him and tries to turn around to catch me. Obviously the enemy didn´t see I was disarmed and thought I was going for his back armor. It was so funny I laughed my ass off!

The only situation, where shutdown is a viable tactic is in conquest mode. When your team is leading with cap points but is loosing the fight, the best you can do is hide and wait till you got 750 points.

In every other situation, the only use of a prolonged shutdown is to troll your team and the enemy.

Edited by PACoFist, 25 February 2014 - 07:54 AM.

#36 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:59 AM

View PostPACoFist, on 25 February 2014 - 07:49 AM, said:

When you are completely disarmed you can still work for your team, even in skirmish. Either do some scouting or stick with your team to draw some enemy fire and help them survive longer.
I remember a match with my Trebuchet, where I got both arms blown off (no weapons left). But there were only a few players still alive on both sides. I followed a friendly Hunch when we met a single enemy. Some heavy or assault, I dont remember, but it was big and slow. I start running circles around it while the Hunchback opens fire. And the enemy completely ignores him and tries to turn around to catch me. Obviously the enemy didn´t see I was disarmed and thought I was going for his back armor. It was so funny I laughed my ass off!

The only situation, where shutdown is a viable tactic is in conquest mode. When your team is leading with cap points but is loosing the fight, the best you can do is hide and wait till you got 750 points.

In every other situation, the only use of a prolonged shutdown is to troll your team and the enemy.

Conquest is the only mode where prolong shutdown is valid? Disagree. I already brought up a scenario where the team had 4 mechs left and I was shut down behind a building. When I found the opportunity I managed to take 3 of the four down. This was on assault. Also if you are completely disarmed and your team is dead leaving you as the only one left against 7-12 mechs. No, you're not going to be able to still work for your team. It's over.

#37 Wrathful-Khan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 198 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:12 AM

How to deal with them?

Call them out on the comms and tell them they're a puss! :D

In an 11-0 stomp I kind of like the idea of one guy left alive to tell his people of the devestation that occured!

Edited by Indiandream, 25 February 2014 - 08:12 AM.

#38 Mc JR

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:15 AM

If you go and hide like a girl to waste my time i will do my best to guide the other team to you, fight the good fight engage the enemy, KDR DOES NOT MATTER TO ANYONE BUT YOU.

#39 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:19 AM

View PostMc JR, on 25 February 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

If you go and hide like a girl to waste my time i will do my best to guide the other team to you, fight the good fight engage the enemy, KDR DOES NOT MATTER TO ANYONE BUT YOU.

It's not about KDR. It's about fighting 11 mechs by yourself isn't fun. You can guide the enemy team to kill the person hiding but remember that person hiding and his/her friends can report you. If you get banned don't take it personally. Remember, giving the coordinates of a team member even if that team member was hiding.. is griefing.

Besides, the best part is if they're so intent on killing you on assault as the last guy they spread out. Might catch a guy solo that way and get a solo kill. One last kill before the game ends. Our team's one last stab at the enemy.

Edited by Reslin, 25 February 2014 - 08:23 AM.

#40 Wrathful-Khan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 198 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:23 AM

I like to go down fighting like a champ. A MechWarrior. If death is as inevitable as you say then what does it matter if not for KDR?

Better to save everyone a couple of minutes of grief so we can all get back to the pew pew we all love so much (Including yourself).

Nobody likes a shutterdowner.

Edited by Indiandream, 25 February 2014 - 08:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users