How To Deal With That Hiding Shut Down Mech

152 replies to this topic

#41 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:28 AM

View PostIndiandream, on 25 February 2014 - 08:23 AM, said:

I like to go down fighting like a champ. A MechWarrior. If death is as inevitable as you say then what does it matter if not for KDR?

Better to save everyone a couple of minutes of grief so we can all get back to the pew pew we all love so much (Including yourself).

Nobody likes a shutterdowner.

Really? I re-call many people in the inner-sphere fleeing in order to save their mech so they can live to fight again. Staying to attack 12 mechs in an effort to die in glorious battle is more of a clanner thing. As mentioned several times, as long as I'm not dead, I plan to achieve something. I plan to do something. I sit there and think. I don't mind dying but I want my death to matter as much as possible. Charging 12 guys won't do anything. Forcing them to spread out and look for me can. I might be able to take another guy with me. Also it won't be long. In assault as the only guy 5+ guys on the capture = match is over in less than a minute.

#42 Wrathful-Khan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 198 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:32 AM

I have no qualms with fighting a guerilla war of attrition. Thats the smart way to fight when outnumbered. As long as you're actually still playing. But if you're going to shut down and "go and get a drink", then you can just get stuffed. That's also griefing.

Edited by Indiandream, 25 February 2014 - 08:32 AM.

#43 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:36 AM

View PostIndiandream, on 25 February 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

I have no qualms with fighting a guerilla war of attrition. Thats the smart way to fight when outnumbered. As long as you're actually still playing. But if you're going to shut down and "go and get a drink", then you can just get stuffed. That's also griefing.

"Go and get a drink" is something I do when there's like 4-5 guys sitting on the base already with 3 on the way. There's not much time to do anything. Even if I decide to run over to the base. It'll be capped before I get there. 99% of the time I'm still actively looking for an opening. I think most people who have played with me can vouch that I actively play. I'm a big team player who has no qualms with going for a capture, dying for the team, holding back enemy forces so my teammates can move on an enemy base etc. My most played mech is the hunchback which fits my guerilla style of fighting. It's all about setting up that ambush. :D

#44 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:39 AM

You know what I hate?

Being a piñata. But since you won't let me walk off a map and flee even when it's 11-0, and "fighting" is a foregone conclusion...

...you can come find me if it's Assault or Conquest. I can understand Skirmish,there's no other way to win. But all other games allow you to cap. Go cap. Stop whining that the guy in the Locust doesn't want to pad your epeen ratios. Generally, you get more for capping -anyway- vs. that last kill.

#45 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:47 AM

View Postwanderer, on 25 February 2014 - 08:39 AM, said:

You know what I hate?

Being a piñata. But since you won't let me walk off a map and flee even when it's 11-0, and "fighting" is a foregone conclusion...

...you can come find me if it's Assault or Conquest. I can understand Skirmish,there's no other way to win. But all other games allow you to cap. Go cap. Stop whining that the guy in the Locust doesn't want to pad your epeen ratios. Generally, you get more for capping -anyway- vs. that last kill.

Yeah, I don't mind someone calling people out on skirmish. On skirmish it's a really bad play to go hide when they HAVE to find you. It's just messed up on multiple levels. I have nothing to say in the defense of someone hiding on skirmish just to wait down the timer.

#46 Trevor Belmont

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:50 AM

Some guy on my team named (removed) kept giving away giving away my location when I was the last one standing. I was in my Raven 3L (2 ERLL and ECM) and was actively hunting. He gave my location away at least 7 times that I was able to screen shot. I had 4 kills and 500 damage so I was doing my job but died as a result of his treason. I reported him, sent screen shots and was told 'they would investigate'. Pretty crappy IMO.

Edited by Trevor Belmont, 25 February 2014 - 08:55 AM.

#47 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:54 AM

View PostTrevor Belmont, on 25 February 2014 - 08:50 AM, said:

Some guy on my team named Laoks kept giving away giving away my location when I was the last one standing. I was in my Raven 3L (2 ERLL and ECM) and was actively hunting. He gave my location away at least 7 times that I was able to screen shot. I had 4 kills and 500 damage so I was doing my job but died as a result of his treason. I reported him, sent screen shots and was told 'they would investigate'. Pretty crappy IMO.

I would remove the person's name from your quote. I don't think naming/shaming is allowed.

#48 PACoFist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 270 posts
  • LocationThe Eye Of Chaos

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:54 AM

View PostReslin, on 25 February 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

Conquest is the only mode where prolong shutdown is valid? Disagree. I already brought up a scenario where the team had 4 mechs left and I was shut down behind a building. When I found the opportunity I managed to take 3 of the four down. This was on assault. Also if you are completely disarmed and your team is dead leaving you as the only one left against 7-12 mechs. No, you're not going to be able to still work for your team. It's over.

The scenario you described is an exception. I have never observed someone doing this. If you can pull off something like that, I am totally OK with you shutting down.
But as you described you didn´t stay shut down all the time but switched on to continue fighting. You did not shutdown and wait till the timer reaches zero.

#49 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:00 AM

I used to report abuse and things like that. I never saw it make any difference. I continued to see the griefers in games for days later.

Frankly, I don't think PGI have enough resources - or maybe even, concern about the end user experience - to do much more than making bobble heads and new Mech chassis. They're a small outfit and 80% of them are artists, after all.

So, when cowards shut down to preserve their k/d ratio, or any of the other selfish rationalizations they use to hold up the enjoyment of 23 other players from moving on to the next match, I'll applaud those who take matters into their own hands to do something about it.

(Of course, when I see the last player genuinely having a go, perhaps running around the enemies' flank to reposition and spread them out etc - that is all perfectly fine. I don't mind waiting and watching a player fighting strategically.)

Edited by Appogee, 25 February 2014 - 09:05 AM.

#50 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:04 AM

If someone on your team shuts down, there is no good reason to give out his location to the enemy team. Not even on Skirmish. If you don't want to wait any longer than necessary before playing the next game, leave the match yourself. You yourself must take the initiative for how you want to play the game. That is not other players' responsibility, it is yours. Nor is it your responsibility to decide how they play, it is theirs. Your options are wait or leave. You only get to play the game for YOURSELF, not for other people. I love how all the whiners assume people shut down to preserve their KDRs, yet the only reason they won't disconnect themselves is because they want the extra few XP and C-Bills. Infantile hypocrites.

Hiding is a viable tactic. But that doesn't really matter. Whether or not it is viable(and it is, as multiple here have shown), it IS allowed in the game. Calling out a teammate's location is not allowed. Those are the rules of the game. Whether or not you like them is irrelevant. Please, continue throwing tantrums about how justified you are for changing the rules of the game, which you CHOSE to play, whenever it suits you :D

Edited by Bloodweaver, 25 February 2014 - 09:05 AM.

#51 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:04 AM

People hate having their time wasted. That's why people report positions.

#52 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:09 AM

As noted above: you have the power to leave the game. You are not forced to wait. So that is an infantile excuse, which really just amounts to a desire to control other people's actions even when those actions are fully permitted, simply because you disagree with them.

#53 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:09 AM

View PostPACoFist, on 25 February 2014 - 08:54 AM, said:

The scenario you described is an exception. I have never observed someone doing this. If you can pull off something like that, I am totally OK with you shutting down.
But as you described you didn´t stay shut down all the time but switched on to continue fighting. You did not shutdown and wait till the timer reaches zero.

Ah, I see what the problem is here. No, I have never been shut down long enough to the point where the timer hit zero. Ever and I wouldn't advocate doing that under any circumstances.

#54 Fut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:11 AM

View PostBasskicker, on 21 February 2014 - 10:08 PM, said:

Until PGI fixes the Disco's not registering as dead then I most certainly will post their coordinates in all chat. It helps no-one to run around the map for sometimes the whole remainder of the game because of a disco sitting at it's spawn point...

If they're disconnected from the game it adds nothing to the gameplay value having to play marco-polo with someone who doesn't answer back.

Why wouldn't you go and check their base/spawn first before searching around the map for "the whole remainder of the game" (remainder of the game = 10mins? remainder of the game = 1min?)?

#55 Gladewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 464 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:24 AM

I base my response to this on a "Means to resist" DC'd mechs AFK mechs and disarmed mechs in skirmish cannot resist. Although I will usually give the AFK ones some time....since you can't be sure they don't have some sort of plan and just haven't moved yet.

#56 Viperion

• PipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 75 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:40 AM

I didn't know i could report if someone exposed my position if i hid.. or shut downed. So thank you.

As someone said, "you have to power to exit the match". Me in other hand have no desire to fight 4-7 mech alone if im the last one. Then i try to hide in order to survive. Its still a valid tactics according to game rules. If you feel im wasting your time by hide.. then you're welcome to exit the match, and if you start expose my position. I will report you thanks to the guy informed about that possibility. I have little love for those impatient runts.

And if a guy shuts down in match and we have to find him, I don't really mind the "search and destroy". Guess im more patient than others, I find the ability to find the hiding mech and destroy him before the time limit somewhat sweet. I don't need a traitor to tell us where he is. Imo that ruin my game experience.

Again: "You have the power to exit the mach"

i apology in advance for any misspelling or something.

#57 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

The only way to make both sides happy is to get a Retreat option in game. PGI should test it on at least one map.

EDIT - Forgot to add, it is not someone else's fault the "reporters" did not take BAP that finds shut down Mechs and do not know to spread out when one Mech is left. If I am on a team and one is left, I ALWAYS tell people to spread out on the map.

View PostIndiandream, on 25 February 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

The problem with you and the other sell outs is you have zero clue what the person is doing. You just assume. Plues there is the next point.

View Postwanderer, on 25 February 2014 - 08:39 AM, said:

Stop whining that the guy in the Locust doesn't want to pad your epeen ratios. Generally, you get more for capping -anyway- vs. that last kill.

This here is one of the truths of the reporters. THEY are the ones who care about K/D ratios, they just blame the shutdown Mech pilot as a distraction.

View PostHexenhammer, on 25 February 2014 - 09:04 AM, said:

Leave the Match and start another in another Mech.

Edited by Merchant, 25 February 2014 - 10:24 AM.

#58 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:18 AM

For conquest and assault modes this shouldn't even be a discussion. They have other objectives which can be used to end the match. In skirmish, the community got exactly what it asked for. Suck it up and hunt them down.

#59 Ryoken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 744 posts
  • LocationEuropa, Terra

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:04 AM

Simply autokill all mechs in the losing team in skirmish mode!

Then those k/d lunatics that ruin the fun for everyone will stop their hiding nonsense!

I do understand if someone does shut down to survive for winning in conquest by resource points. But in skrimish the last mech hiding and shutting down is plain egoistic nonsense.

Edited by Ryoken, 27 February 2014 - 04:04 AM.

#60 Craig Steele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:23 AM

View PostMc JR, on 25 February 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

If you go and hide like a girl to waste my time i will do my best to guide the other team to you, fight the good fight engage the enemy, KDR DOES NOT MATTER TO ANYONE BUT YOU.

You don't know your team mate is not engaging, just because he doesn;t fight your way that doesn't make him wrong. You advertise his position it's you breaching the TOS and you the one getting reported. Your call ofc, but at least you know now that your behavious is a breach of the TOS.

View PostIndiandream, on 25 February 2014 - 08:23 AM, said:

I like to go down fighting like a champ. A MechWarrior. If death is as inevitable as you say then what does it matter if not for KDR?

Better to save everyone a couple of minutes of grief so we can all get back to the pew pew we all love so much (Including yourself).

Nobody likes a shutterdowner.

If you don't want to stay, leave the match. He is not wasting your time,you're already dead. Mechwarriors are valued for their intelligence btw, not their stupidity. That means fighting to your advantages as well as bravely.

View PostHexenhammer, on 25 February 2014 - 09:04 AM, said:

No one's time is wasted, press leave game if you don't want to stay.

View PostRyoken, on 27 February 2014 - 04:04 AM, said:

Simply autokill all mechs in the losing team in skirmish mode!

Then those k/d lunatics that ruin the fun for everyone will stop their hiding nonsense!

I do understand if someone does shut down to survive for winning in conquest by resource points. But in skrimish the last mech hiding and shutting down is plain egoistic nonsense.

If you don't want to play a 15 minute game, choose another game mode at the launch button. If you do choose to play Skirmish, PGI will expect you to play by the TOS.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users