Dual Gauss Or Dual Ac20 Mech

72 replies to this topic

#1 Commander Homer

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:52 PM

Hello,

I'm looking to use a dual gauss or dual AC20 mech, but I'm not sure what to pick. 2 medium lasers would be nice, too. I know the Katapult, Jaeger, and I think Cataphract can do it. Ideally my mech would have a standard engine, but I'm not sure if that's feasible. Can anyone please make a suggestion as to what I should get?

Thanks!

#2 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:47 PM

Jaeger could do both on pretty much the same build. I'd go with that. But I would recommend XL engine.

This is what I use:

JM6-S

To do the AC/20, just swap out the Gauss and ammo, and put on AC/20s and ammo.

Catapult can do both also. Not sure of the exact build

Cataphract 3D makes a nice gauss platform

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 07 March 2014 - 11:57 PM.

#3 Parappaman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:38 AM

What's with this lowly 30-40 pinpoint ballistic damage? This is what you are looking for.

#4 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:44 AM

A few things to be aware of, any AC40 build will run hot after a few shots in a row, the Jager shuts down after the 3rd dual shot and takes internal damage (especially on the hotter maps). AC40's will often be the primary target of the enemy side, many people such as myself will make you a priority target and call you out. Youll either be slow (& thus vulnerable) or vulnerable to side torso killing (anyone who knows this game will go for side torso on AC40 builds as it either kills you if you have an XL or destroys half your weaponry).

Gauss builds take a little time to master with how they fire and arent great for hitting fast moving, close in small mechs who if anything like myself will hunt you once they spot you, especially if you seperate from your group as many Gauss snipers do.

If youre new to this game i wouldnt recommend either build personally. Get something more well rounded. But in the end, hey play what you like.

Well in response to the above posters triple Gauss Ilya, i have personally, for a laugh, piloted an AC40 & duall ERPPC Jager build, for a nice 60 point alpha. And boy do people back off (if not dead) after one hit, which is good as right after, youre close to blowing up from overheating. :-)

Edited by Ace Selin, 08 March 2014 - 01:54 AM.

#5 TACITVS

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:44 AM

Dualgauss and DualAC builds are for n00bs who need cheap and easy kills but lack the skill to play fair.
Having said that: It is damn easy to rack up 900+ damage with dualgauss and getting lots of kills as well. But is that really fun? This is actually what kills the game: high pinpoint damage weapons/loadouts that can kill or cripple most mechs in a single alpha ....

#6 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:39 AM

Starting out in the game, I settled on Jagers as my first mechs. I'll be the first to admit that as a n00b, I saw the videos and tried out both builds. I can't say that either one of them really worked for me compared to the mixed loadouts I'm running now.

Best I ever did with the AC/20 BoomJager was about 400 damage and 2 kills. Normal for me was about 200 damage and 0 kills. The real problem with it is that it's almost completely useless on open maps like Alpine or Tourmaline because only the completely clueless are going to let you get close enough to use it. Even on more constricted maps, if you're up against pre-mades, as soon as you're identified, you become the target for every LRM and ER weapon on the map. While you're standing there watching those huge salvos arcing in on you, the lights are usually dancing around you keeping you pinned in place waiting for the rain to start.

The GaussJager was an even bigger disappointment for me. It really takes an experienced pilot to make use of the mech thanks to the delay on charging the gauss rifles. It takes better timing than I've got to actually ease up over a hill, identify a target, and hit it before it pops back down. In the mean time, if you DO manage to whack somebody with it, you've been identified again and there's going to be a whole slew of ER PPCs and Large Lasers waiting for you to crest again. Again, you become a magnet for lights and it's a chore to try and use in close quarters. I think the best I got in the 6 or 7 drops I used it on, was about 120 damage and 0 kills.

Don't get me wrong, cheese factor aside, both can be very effective mechs in the right hands. Particularly if you're dropping in pre-mades with team-mates that can cover you while you get to the most advantageous ranges to make use of the build. In PUGs though, where you're on your own, don't expect much from them.

Remember, out of the videos you've seen on these, they're showing you their BEST match with it. Not the 5 or 6 other matches where they scored much less or got stomped on.

Edited by MarineTech, 08 March 2014 - 05:41 AM.

#7 TACITVS

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:58 AM

View PostMarineTech, on 08 March 2014 - 05:39 AM, said:

Remember, out of the videos you've seen on these, they're showing you their BEST match with it. Not the 5 or 6 other matches where they scored much less or got stomped on.

Well, then you were probably just sucking due to being a relatively new and unexperienced pilot (as you've said you tried Jaegers as your first mechs). In the right hands these things are beasts. Especially the Dualgauss on larger maps and the dualAC20 on smaller/city maps.
These loadouts REALLY are cheap ways to rack up kills and shouldnt be in the game (especially since lore-wise they are non-existent! at least not in Heavy-Mechs).

Being able to kill more than (or roughly) half of the enemy team without much effort really is breaking the game. A single HEAVY shouldnt have that much firepower.

Just some examples:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by TACITVS, 08 March 2014 - 06:05 AM.

#8 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:38 AM

For short ranged go dual AC/20s.

Long range go dual Gauss.

My best AC/40 match ever:

Spoiler

#9 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:47 AM

i like the gauss cause range is better, projectile is faster and its hard to see where the shot it coming from.

#10 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,377 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:12 AM

Dual Gauss is great, Dual AC/20... I haven't tried! But I have destroyed a few thousand tons of AC/40 Jagermechs. ;)

#11 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

View PostAmsro, on 08 March 2014 - 07:12 AM, said:

Dual Gauss is great, Dual AC/20... I haven't tried! But I have destroyed a few thousand tons of AC/40 Jagermechs. ;)

You should try them man. They're awesome.

Here is a good build for the 6-DD using dual AC/20s.

Quite contrarily, I haven't yet run dual Gauss.

Edited by DavidHurricane, 08 March 2014 - 09:44 AM.

#12 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:06 PM

View PostTACITVS, on 08 March 2014 - 02:44 AM, said:

Dualgauss and DualAC builds are for n00bs who need cheap and easy kills but lack the skill to play fair.

Pretty much everything is a noob build that can get easy kills except for builds that are intentionally awful...

Edited by Sug, 08 March 2014 - 01:06 PM.

#13 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:35 PM

View PostTACITVS, on 08 March 2014 - 05:58 AM, said:

Well, then you were probably just sucking due to being a relatively new and unexperienced pilot (as you've said you tried Jaegers as your first mechs). In the right hands these things are beasts. Especially the Dualgauss on larger maps and the dualAC20 on smaller/city maps.

Yes I was, and still am. I know both builds can be absolutely deadly in the right hands. But, for a beginner, particularly one that's PUG only, they're not necessarily the way to go. I noted that particularly when describing my experience with the Gauss Jager.

#14 Racklesnack

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:47 PM

View PostParappaman, on 08 March 2014 - 12:38 AM, said:

What's with this lowly 30-40 pinpoint ballistic damage? This is what you are looking for.

45? pfft

With std

#15 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:15 AM

View PostTACITVS, on 08 March 2014 - 05:58 AM, said:

These loadouts REALLY are cheap ways to rack up kills and shouldnt be in the game (especially since lore-wise they are non-existent! at least not in Heavy-Mechs).

Being able to kill more than (or roughly) half of the enemy team without much effort really is breaking the game. A single HEAVY shouldnt have that much firepower.

Just some examples:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Nice, first give yourself cover by complaining about how cheap it is, then subtly follow up with e-peen after being prodded to do so. GG WP :ph34r:

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 09 March 2014 - 02:16 AM.

#16 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:20 AM

AC40 is actually a great fun to play. The key is to be super sneaky. Also the way people react to you can be hilarious. I had a funny game tosay when i went on a solo tunnel sneak on frozen city, and the enemy team peeled off 4 players from the ridge to chase me all the way back to my tunnel hide out. Both sides agreed that it cost them the game.

You can also pull stunts like this:

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 09 March 2014 - 02:25 AM.

#17 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:31 AM

View PostMarineTech, on 08 March 2014 - 05:39 AM, said:

Starting out in the game, I settled on Jagers as my first mechs. I'll be the first to admit that as a n00b, I saw the videos and tried out both builds. I can't say that either one of them really worked for me compared to the mixed loadouts I'm running now.

Best I ever did with the AC/20 BoomJager was about 400 damage and 2 kills. Normal for me was about 200 damage and 0 kills. The real problem with it is that it's almost completely useless on open maps like Alpine or Tourmaline because only the completely clueless are going to let you get close enough to use it. Even on more constricted maps, if you're up against pre-mades, as soon as you're identified, you become the target for every LRM and ER weapon on the map. While you're standing there watching those huge salvos arcing in on you, the lights are usually dancing around you keeping you pinned in place waiting for the rain to start.

The GaussJager was an even bigger disappointment for me. It really takes an experienced pilot to make use of the mech thanks to the delay on charging the gauss rifles. It takes better timing than I've got to actually ease up over a hill, identify a target, and hit it before it pops back down. In the mean time, if you DO manage to whack somebody with it, you've been identified again and there's going to be a whole slew of ER PPCs and Large Lasers waiting for you to crest again. Again, you become a magnet for lights and it's a chore to try and use in close quarters. I think the best I got in the 6 or 7 drops I used it on, was about 120 damage and 0 kills.

Don't get me wrong, cheese factor aside, both can be very effective mechs in the right hands. Particularly if you're dropping in pre-mades with team-mates that can cover you while you get to the most advantageous ranges to make use of the build. In PUGs though, where you're on your own, don't expect much from them.

You just have to be more thoughtful about how you use the terrain and positioning to setup the engagement. Eg:

#18 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:52 AM

Exactly what I said in my second post Jiggly.

Yes, in the hands of an experienced player, who knows all the nooks and crannies of the maps, both builds can be deadly, particularly when working in a pre-made that's communicating together. For the new player who's PUGging alone, not so much.

#19 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:45 AM

View PostMarineTech, on 09 March 2014 - 02:52 AM, said:

Exactly what I said in my second post Jiggly.

Yes, in the hands of an experienced player, who knows all the nooks and crannies of the maps, both builds can be deadly, particularly when working in a pre-made that's communicating together. For the new player who's PUGging alone, not so much.

But is there any mech for which thats not true? :)

For the Gauss jager it helps to know that the gauss makes a subtle clang sound when ready to fire.

Also you should be trying to shoot that thing from 700 out to about 1100 m using adv zoom.

For ac40 one should try to use the alpha fire oly when peeking from cover. If you face a brawling fight you should fire one barrel at a time, which will get you over 10 dps.

You also need to use full armor except on your legs and front load your armor. Finally for both mechs speed is a life saver. Dont listen to those suggesting std engines. On these two the speed of the xl is worth it.

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 09 March 2014 - 10:25 AM.

#20 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 08 March 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

You should try them man. They're awesome.

Here is a good build for the 6-DD using dual AC/20s.

Quite contrarily, I haven't yet run dual Gauss.

Don't need the case David. They dont do anything for you on an xl st.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users