Dual Gauss Or Dual Ac20 Mech

72 replies to this topic

#21 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:14 AM

Ladies. Calm ur tats. This is real mans meta: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8a25e53f16f3a80
Drop ams if you want more ammo but current amount has 1050 potential damage and i have done this with that amount of ammo: http://i.imgur.com/yMZoagB.jpg
Carrying more ammo would be cool but I carry ams on absolutely every mech I own. This build decimates ac40 jagers. The only mech I shy away from facing is dual gauss because I rely on dpm and gauss jagers peak and fire then pull back. GL DS (good luck dont suck)

EDIT: For non-ams believers: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...392a559872a56ef

Edited by POOTYTANGASAUR, 09 March 2014 - 11:15 AM.

#22 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 09 March 2014 - 10:30 AM, said:

Don't need the case David. They dont do anything for you on an xl st.

I hate it when people say that.

I've had "AC/20 ammo destroyed" according to Betty and lived for like 5 minutes afterwords. Idk 'bout y'all but CASE has saved my life many a time.

View PostPOOTYTANGASAUR, on 09 March 2014 - 11:14 AM, said:

Ladies. Calm ur tats. This is real mans meta: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8a25e53f16f3a80
Drop ams if you want more ammo but current amount has 1050 potential damage and i have done this with that amount of ammo: http://i.imgur.com/yMZoagB.jpg
Carrying more ammo would be cool but I carry ams on absolutely every mech I own. This build decimates ac40 jagers. The only mech I shy away from facing is dual gauss because I rely on dpm and gauss jagers peak and fire then pull back. GL DS (good luck dont suck)

EDIT: For non-ams believers: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...392a559872a56ef

Say what you will about that build, I've chewed up and spit out many of those with and without using my AC/40 build (although I do run my Hunchback with 1 AC/5 and 1 AC/2 and it shreds armor).

Edited by DavidHurricane, 09 March 2014 - 01:46 PM.

#23 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:56 PM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 09 March 2014 - 01:45 PM, said:

I hate it when people say that.

I've had "AC/20 ammo destroyed" according to Betty and lived for like 5 minutes afterwords. Idk 'bout y'all but CASE has saved my life many a time.

David, there is a difference between ammo explosion and ammo destroyed. Have you tried it without the C.A.S.E? Because I'm pretty sure the same thing has happened to me without running CASE.

As far as I know this explanation is still correct:

http://mwomercs.com/...-guide-to-case/

#24 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:43 PM

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 09 March 2014 - 02:56 PM, said:

David, there is a difference between ammo explosion and ammo destroyed. Have you tried it without the C.A.S.E? Because I'm pretty sure the same thing has happened to me without running CASE.

As far as I know this explanation is still correct:

http://mwomercs.com/...-guide-to-case/

Put another way people have to do serious damage to my shoulders for the ammo to actually self-destruct. I haven't had one case as far as I remember where an ammo explosion killed me in my Jager.

#25 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

Honestly XL255 with 2xAC2 + 2xAC5 + 4T AC2 ammo + 5T AC5 ammo is probably more OP than any of those dual gauss/boom jager builds you are considering...seriously...you go 70 kph with speed tweak, and you can burn mechs down with very little sustained time on target. The DPS is strong with 2's and 5's...that is a classic "dakka" build...

#26 _Comrade_

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:33 PM

Both weapons have their advantages and disadvantages

Guass - very powerful, Can destroy components with a single shot, long distance, sounds awesome charging up and hearing it reload (cool sound effects Piranha) but really slow. Good for sniping but not for close combat

AC - faster then the guass but a little weaker and less range, can fight at close range, less weight then the guass

If i was piloting a heavy or above mech i would prefer the AC20's because you know your going to get in close combat when your moving that slow plus you want to duke it out. My cataphrat has two AC10's on it with 3 med lasers and it's quite the brawler

#27 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

View PostTACITVS, on 08 March 2014 - 02:44 AM, said:

Dualgauss and DualAC builds are for n00bs who need cheap and easy kills but lack the skill to play fair.
Having said that: It is damn easy to rack up 900+ damage with dualgauss and getting lots of kills as well. But is that really fun? This is actually what kills the game: high pinpoint damage weapons/loadouts that can kill or cripple most mechs in a single alpha ....

*golfclap*

Right now, it's high risk (no armor, no speed) for high reward. That being said, Yes, it's fun. But odds are with the hollering over ballistics, they'll eventually end up burst-fire rather than single hit, full damage weapons...and be less rewarding, at which point people will likely mount AC/20 + some decent secondary weapons.

If you want an alternative- and be warned, SRMs are not Working As Intended:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...62705d77fadebab

That'll make a respectable impression on most targets. A slower, cheaper version can be made with Endo Steel and a standard 270-rated engine, though you lose two heat sinks in the process, or a slower still 230 engine will give you the sinks and CASE to go with it without using Endo Steel, but then you're moving about as fast as a normal Boomjager (although better armored than most).

Edited by wanderer, 09 March 2014 - 05:33 PM.

#28 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:55 PM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 09 March 2014 - 03:43 PM, said:

Put another way people have to do serious damage to my shoulders for the ammo to actually self-destruct. I haven't had one case as far as I remember where an ammo explosion killed me in my Jager.

Yes, but CASE doesn't add to your armor level and doesn't help you when your ammo explodes. It doesn't make your ammo harder to destroy. It actually does exactly nothing for you except adding extra weight that can be used on armor.

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 09 March 2014 - 06:56 PM.

#29 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:54 PM

Man, remember the olden timey days where we didnt see at least four of these turds every match?

#30 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,377 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

View PostTACITVS, on 08 March 2014 - 02:44 AM, said:

Dualgauss and DualAC builds are for n00bs who need cheap and easy kills but lack the skill to play fair.
Having said that: It is damn easy to rack up 900+ damage with dualgauss and getting lots of kills as well. But is that really fun? This is actually what kills the game: high pinpoint damage weapons/loadouts that can kill or cripple most mechs in a single alpha ....

And yet one of those two loadouts is likely on one of your mechs. ;)

I'm not sure Noob was the word you were looking for. Most new players suck with either of those 2 weapons.

#31 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:58 PM

I've run both AC 40 and Dual Gauss on my Jager-S. I have preferred the dual gauss lately for the range and it really makes anything back up behind cover after one 30 point hit. Great for really picking off Assault and heavy mechs legs as well. Then for real spite, put an Arty right on em..lol

#32 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,377 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:03 PM

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 09 March 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

Man, remember the olden timey days where we didnt see at least four of these turds every match?

Give SRM's there punch back! Watch those "turds" melt. AC/40 isn't and never was a problem.

I don't understand the nerf mentality, it just cycles through the weapons. Soon we will be all using Firestarters with 8 Small Lasers.

View PostWANTED, on 09 March 2014 - 07:58 PM, said:

I've run both AC 40 and Dual Gauss on my Jager-S. I have preferred the dual gauss lately for the range and it really makes anything back up behind cover after one 30 point hit. Great for really picking off Assault and heavy mechs legs as well. Then for real spite, put an Arty right on em..lol

And I bet you are laughing the whole time. ;)

Posted Image

#33 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

View PostAmsro, on 09 March 2014 - 08:03 PM, said:

Give SRM's there punch back! Watch those "turds" melt. AC/40 isn't and never was a problem.

I don't understand the nerf mentality, it just cycles through the weapons. Soon we will be all using Firestarters with 8 Small Lasers.

Posted Image

I'm not calling for a nerf, I know exactly how easy most of em die and SRMs never really ceased to be effective for me. I just think the community is ******* up hardcore in aiding n' abetting a new player's desire for stinky cheese.

#34 Sam Slade

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:50 PM

dual-AC20 is lame... the only times I've seen a Boomjager 'shine' is when it's part of a premade team or is runnin behind Lemmingpugs and is saving it's alpha shots for exactly the right moment(aka kill stealing).

I know there are plenty of "I killed half their team" screenshots out there... bully for you... I've done that in a Hunchback(it means I was lucky not super leet).

Point is don't fall into the boating trap because when the nerf bat falls the players with a diverse play style will eat you.

#35 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:28 PM

View PostSam Slade, on 09 March 2014 - 09:50 PM, said:

dual-AC20 is lame... the only times I've seen a Boomjager 'shine' is when it's part of a premade team or is runnin behind Lemmingpugs and is saving it's alpha shots for exactly the right moment(aka kill stealing).

I know there are plenty of "I killed half their team" screenshots out there... bully for you... I've done that in a Hunchback(it means I was lucky not super leet).

Point is don't fall into the boating trap because when the nerf bat falls the players with a diverse play style will eat you.

Ummmmm..... Boating is keeps thing simple for people who like to keep things simple and not run 4 weapon systems.

Some of us won't fall into the trap because.. We can run all weight classes with multiple play styles..
I myself... Did that waiting for the fabled CW where I could put this to use.. But....... IT NEVER CAME !! *sniff... ;)

#36 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:37 AM

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 09 March 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

You are right. They were mostly in hgn-733cs

#37 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:43 AM

View PostAmsro, on 09 March 2014 - 08:03 PM, said:

Posted Image

Oh yes! You betcha! :D

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 10 March 2014 - 01:44 AM.

#38 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:17 AM

did anyone mention Gauss has no heat problems?

#39 Devil Fox

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:32 AM

View PostKing Arthur IV, on 10 March 2014 - 03:17 AM, said:

did anyone mention Gauss has no heat problems?

Instead it comes with some stupid charging mechanic... we'll mention the ghost heat of the dual AC20 though xP

#40 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:47 AM

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 09 March 2014 - 02:31 AM, said:

You just have to be more thoughtful about how you use the terrain and positioning to setup the engagement. Eg:

Challenge posted to the Jiggle to perform the following trick shot.
Pay close attention to the Jenner's head.

I 'meant' to do that.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users