#1 Dazzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 216 posts
  • LocationSpain next to Gibraltar

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:01 AM

Ok I know I will get spammed with L2P etc or totally ignored but what the hell

Yes its yet another semi rant about LRMs and its a explanation of why I an taking a break from this game for a while.

Now I am not the best mechwarrior far from it. But the fact that I have a nearly finish mech pit compete with working switch panels I hope shows my level of commitment to this game.

Today I spend several hours trying to adapted to the LRM heavy nightmare we are in now. I bought a Ciada CDA-3M and tooled it out with ECM and AMS and all the bells and whistles then armed it with 2 ER large laz to snipe and Pot shot with.

I then hit the servers tell all in each game ¨ ECM and AMS here group up on my if they start the rain´

I dutifully stuck with the assaults and covered the team as best I could. I believe it made a real difference as we won just about every game that the teams did group up with me or any other ECM mech we had (not many as it turns out)

So why am I unhappy ? because this is not mechwarrior ! It´s more like a game of Sniper elite with every one hiding behind a hill taking pot shots and scarpering from cover to cover. Some times a brave few will try to close the ranged and normally get gunned down for they trouble.

Mech warrior for me is Mech`s shooting a long rang while they close the distance till the meet and stomp around each other in a brawl as part of the chaos that is the battle around them.

When you have assault Mech´s hiding something is badly wrong.

While I did adapted If find I don't enjoy it. I am almost being forced to play a Mech I do not enjoy , in a play style I do not enjoy while all the while what sound like 12 year old LRM ´warriors´ lock and spam and cover the coms with ´L2P´and ´Ï am a god !´(really did hear that one, OK it did make me LOL)

Still all in all when you finish a match and almost groan at the thought of starting a new match its time to find a new game for a while. After all its supposed to be fun for every one not just the LRM and sniper crowd with the rest of us the fish in they bucket.

So I am logging off for a couple of months, maybe finish my Mech Pit and hope that things improve.

thank you to all the players I have had fun with since BETA.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

#2 Varent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWest Coast - United States

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

View PostDazzer, on 22 March 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

Yes its yet another semi rant about LRMs and its a explanation of why I an taking a break from this game for a while.

Now I am not the best mechwarrior far from it. But the fact that I have a nearly finish mech pit compete with working switch panels I hope shows my level of commitment to this game.

Today I spend several hours trying to adapted to the LRM heavy nightmare we are in now. I bought a Ciada CDA-3M and tooled it out with ECM and AMS and all the bells and whistles then armed it with 2 ER large laz to snipe and Pot shot with.

I stopped there.

LRMS are very good vs snipers since they ahve to stay more exposed now, jump snipers have been slowed down and er large alsers take time to aquire targets and fire. LRMS are very good against this.

Go play a brawler. Prosper.

Edit - Dont be stupid and run out in the open while playing a brawler, play a smart brawler that advances using cover.

#3 xCico

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Gold Champ
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:39 AM

If PGI read this is for them:

Pull back LRM to 125 speed, NARC will still do job for LRM boats and UAV ofc
Buff srm speed( and I mean buff it hard like from speed 300 to 450-500) and fix HSR on them

If you fo that, it will be gamechanger, there will still be poptarts, but when you get into 270 they will take haaard damage from brand new working srms...

Edited by Almighty Cico, 22 March 2014 - 09:40 AM.

#4 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:49 AM

You mention not being able to play what you want, when you want.

What are you trying to run? Are you making this determination while pugging, grouped, or both? There's a big community here with many members willing to help - give us more info and perhaps we can help :P Or! Go get FRAPS or some other screen recording software, upload a vid to youtube, and let us see what you're having trouble with. Heck - feel free to friend *me* and I'll run with you! I'm not a huge fan of the LRM thing, but what can you do? Adapt and overcome! Be fast, get close, and those LRMs are mitigated.

Edited by Fierostetz, 22 March 2014 - 09:49 AM.

#5 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

yea because this topic needed a "new" thread

http://mwomercs.com/...is-game-for-me/
http://mwomercs.com/...81-lrms-broken/
http://mwomercs.com/...83-fixing-lrms/
http://mwomercs.com/...ly-lrms-batman/
http://mwomercs.com/...nd/page__st__60
http://mwomercs.com/...nic-as-streaks/

#6 T Magnum

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

There's nothing to adept to when in every game there are a minimum of 8 assaults with at least 3 d-dc Atlas' and missle boats(my experience). All my builds I have been successful with prior the patch is now worthless.
Even when 3/3/3/3 comes this change should be addressed.
Whether or not you agree I personally don't enjoy the way things are going.

#7 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

View PostAlmighty Cico, on 22 March 2014 - 09:39 AM, said:

If PGI read this is for them:

Pull back LRM to 125 speed, NARC will still do job for LRM boats and UAV ofc
Buff srm speed( and I mean buff it hard like from speed 300 to 450-500) and fix HSR on them

If you fo that, it will be gamechanger, there will still be poptarts, but when you get into 270 they will take haaard damage from brand new working srms...

so go back to LRMs being totally useless past 500 meters? Yeah, they are already the most restricted "long range" weapon, having the worst range, worst projectile speed and such. Oh and stow the "don't have to aim" argument. That is occasionally true, but more often than not, if you don't have dedicated spotters, LRMs just end up splashing pointlessly as breaking a lock in anything faster than a Stalker is pretty easy at anything past 500 meters. And unlike ballistics and such, one can't very well snap shoot a LRM rack, meaning that unless you are spotted, tagged or narced you can easily shoot while moving between cover while not giving the other guy enough time to get a lock.

Yes, it requires, patience, tactics and is not perfect, but then again, it certainly is no worse than the poptart meta.

L2P? Naw, just don't give up too fast, and don't close your mind to alternatives. I find a lot of issues in MWO are in the end overreactions to changes forcing us out of our comfort zones.

#8 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:16 AM

You have not tried hard enough.

See, it's not an L2P reply. :)

#9 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

This is a pug problem. If certain roles are needed, you need to do it, or it ain't getting done. Before turrets, id be running back @ 50 kph while lights are sniping from the frontline. Would always happen.

Comms in pugs would help.

#10 Targaryen X

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

Personally Ive been having some of the best matches in months, yes I see lrms are back in use but I am not seeing the so-call lrmpocalypse, maybe Ive een lucky but my pugs on both sides have afaict all had a good mix of builds, they did not play like idiots, and no complete steamrolls in 12ish drops, played around with my founders fatlas for the first time in a year (3mal, tag, gauss, 2lm15arti) and had fun, did some damage but nothing outrageous, got some kills, had a few losses in a row that were still fun fights (including one starting 2down thanks to the matchmaker and almost pulling it out, which I blame on our lights deciding to turn and join the fight rather than get caps at the end, but still a fun fight), then a win streak, didn't get up from the computer wanting to strangle my teammates, so... honestly I am having more fun with this game than I have had in quite a while.

#11 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:10 PM

how to win against LRMs?

Get into 180m

Win.

#12 PeekaBoo I C Ju

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 421 posts
  • LocationUnder your bed....BOO!

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

LRMS were useles before this patch, the only time you seen them was when people boated lrm 5's just to shake the cockpit while chain firing....they are perfectly useful now, hope they stay that way

#13 MitzaVolchenko

• Pip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:46 PM

I am debating whether or not it is worth it to log in.

I was out for a couple of weeks, come back in, and even on good cover maps can't close in a light without being LRM'd to death?

OP is not wrong.

I may give it another go in an ECM scout rather than the couple of drops I did in my beloved Oxide, but I am not really feeling the game if this remains in place. I suppose I could grind C-Bills in one of my LRM loadouts until this gets fixed. If you can't beat 'em join 'em. At least with poptarts you could juke your way to them and beat them to death.

#14 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

I totally get your pain. Totally.

Play a brawler though. Seriously, try it. My D-DC has never been better. Just be more cautious, more thoughtful. Either setup a careful, covered route of approach or hide in the enemies line of advance.

Brawling works and works well. It's critical; it wins matches now for the first time in a long time.

Edited to add:

I'm playing the Banshee 3S right now. Pure brawler; AC20, 3LLs, 2MLs, AMS and 2 tons of ammo. STD 325 engine.

I'm doing alright. Not even Basics unlocked and over a 1 KDR. Slow, would be an easy LRM target. You just have to play smarter. You get to within 180m and the boats are food. If you've got the firepower to put them down fast then rush and do it. If not, stick adn move until they can be dropped quickly so you're not under their buddies firing arc long.

It's added tactics to the game, not removed them. Quit getting pissed and start re-evaluating. It's more depth, not less.

Edited by MischiefSC, 22 March 2014 - 12:59 PM.

#15 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:25 PM

Mech warrior for me is Mech`s shooting a long rang while they close the distance till the meet and stomp around each other in a brawl as part of the chaos that is the battle around them.

Funny, this is exactly what the matches I have been in since the patch have been like; a bit of long-range probing with AC/PPC and LRMs, and then a flanking maneuver (or a pincer!) and boom! Brawl like mad between 8-12 'mechs until one side wins.

And teamwork! I've seen more teamwork in PUGs after the patch than since I can't remember. I even had lance chat discussions, and both given and followed orders that made a difference to the match outcome.

Perhaps I'm in the perfect Elo for this patch - it has to be something, because I'm NOT seeing any of the LRM domination people keep complaining about, my LRM-mounting 'mechs haven't suddenly become unstoppable killing machines (my direct-fire and SRM 'mechs have way better WLR and KDR), and I have yet to be killed by LRMs since the patch (although I've died plenty to direct-fire weaponry).

In short, I can't be playing the same game as the OP.

#16 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:33 PM

View Poststjobe, on 22 March 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

Perhaps I'm in the perfect Elo for this patch - it has to be something, because I'm NOT seeing any of the LRM domination people keep complaining about, my LRM-mounting 'mechs haven't suddenly become unstoppable killing machines (my direct-fire and SRM 'mechs have way better WLR and KDR), and I have yet to be killed by LRMs since the patch (although I've died plenty to direct-fire weaponry).

You are in what I call "Elo Heaven"! Welcome to the club!

#17 Dragomir Zelenka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

View Poststjobe, on 22 March 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

I always get the same sense in these threads as you do. I read about these inescapable LRM maulings (which, inexplicably, only seem to happen to the team the poster is on, and never the other side) and I just don't see it. Sure, there are more LRMs out and about in games now, but I've yet to once be hit by these God awful clouds people are complaining about, regardless of which mech I'm in. I've only been killed by LRMs once, and that was while my CT was stripped and bright red already from a Banshee and Cataphract double teaming me.

I think this massive reaction is a testament to the fact PGI let LRMs be substandard for so long that a chunk of people have been caught absolutely flat-footed by this patch.

#18 McWhoopin

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

View PostSandpit, on 22 March 2014 - 09:59 AM, said:

his opinion is way too important to be grouped in someone elses thread...just ask him

#19 RamsoPanzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

The guy who wrote this post is right, all the [people] replying are the same lrm-noobs as always, trying to defend a thing that has no reasonable defense.

Edited by miSs, 24 March 2014 - 10:02 AM.

#20 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

I just wrote in another thread: LRming is a playstyle, and a valid one. And LRMs needed a buff.

But like the OP, I feel like I have to take an ECM Mechs now, rather than the other 26 in my hangar, just to get some relief from the heavy incoming LRMs. Or an LRM boat... which I personally find a little dull. Yeah, you can still play others if you want, but a lot of what you do in the game will be dictated by the LRM boats.

And that makes game seems less fun, and more limited, to play, from my perspective.

This is not to say that LRM-lovers shouldn't equally be able to play the game the way they want to. My preference has no more weight than anyone elses'.

My ideal for a MW game would be that all playstyles are equally viable - brawling, LRMing, pop-tarrting - that no playstyle dominates, and that balanced builds are advnataged vs min/maxed ones. In the current meta, boating LRMs seems to be a more effective choice than the other playstyles, and as the OP said, it's potentially dictating the terms for other players a little too strongly.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users