69 replies to this topic

#1 Enigmos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:52 AM

There is a heavy Long Range Missile rain out there, and it may seem intimidating. As a new player what can you do?

One part of the problem is the new usefulness given to the NARC missile. A NARC missile has a range of 450 metes and it is heavy. A scout cannot carry many, but then it doesn't take many to ruin your assault's day. When struck by a NARC missile that mech is seen and targetable by every enemy missile boat.

So what can be done?

If you are piloting a medium, then you are the best defense the heavies and assaults have against scouts, and therefor their best defense from being nailed by a NARC beacon. Defend your heavies and assaults! Let hem soak up the damage fighting one another. Let them wear each other down to a nub. Then the ones that are left should be easier to finish off.

If you're piloting a light and you can equip a NARC you will find it a challenge to locate and set a missile beacon on the best target, for example that pesky Atlas D-DC currently cloaked by his electronic counter measures. NARC will burn right through his cloak for thirty seconds. If he is still standing at the end of that thirty seconds, do it again. It helps if, once you locate a juicy target you advise your missile boat pilots that you are about to launch your NARC beacon. If you can, give the map coordinates so they can tell you whether the target will be in their 1000 meter range.

Do you mean to tell me that you don't know how many meters are in one of those map squares on the battlemap ( :)?

Edited by OriginalTibs, 24 March 2014 - 07:54 AM.

#2 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:26 AM

To deal with LRMaggedon 2.0, I went hiking this weekend.

Didn't play a single game of MWO.

#3 ChapeL

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:39 AM

Is that what they mean by "adapt or take a hike?" :)

#4 Kali Rinpoche

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:39 AM

View PostNRP, on 24 March 2014 - 09:26 AM, said:

I wish I had. Tying to level the last bit of my CN9s I went 71/72 for .99 K/D. Before this silliness I was 1.23 K/D in them.

There are now only 3 meta's PPC/AC5 poptart, LRM+artemis, and ECM ravens w/ER LL. If you use any other build (non-assault) and you get the first 15x LRM 15+Art shower, you are toast.

I'm all for tactics and good game play, but this speed patch has destroyed diversity builds.

Edited by Kali Rinpoche, 24 March 2014 - 09:41 AM.

#5 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:41 AM

View PostNRP, on 24 March 2014 - 09:26 AM, said:

What do you mean 2.0? Aren't we up to 3 or 4 now?

#6 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,396 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

Only thing that seems to work so far is take lights and hope to swarm with a few other team mates. My Ember has been getting claims of being op. No missiles there. :)

View PostKali Rinpoche, on 24 March 2014 - 09:39 AM, said:

this speed patch has destroyed diversity builds.

The diversity has been decimated somewhere in closed beta. Started with the nerf of the medium laser, been downhill ever since.

#7 Kaelym

• Pip
  • The Raider
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:53 AM

I use a brawler cataphract, and a brawler Hunchback. The phract has ams, the hunch, does not. Lrms do not bother me, as long as I play smart. How would you do that? 1) Use terrain to block line of sight. Try to stay hidden, until you want to attack. 2) While attacking use terrain to block missiles. Use the enemy to block missiles. Know where the Lrms are coming from. 3) While enroute to the enemy, power down if you need to to stop locks. I am far from an expert, but this has helped me. I have a modest 1.7 or 1.8 kdr.

#8 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:57 AM

View PostBull Frog, on 24 March 2014 - 09:39 AM, said:

Is that what they mean by "adapt or take a hike?" :)

Nope, it's called voting with your feet ;D

#9 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

Something is already being done.

http://mwomercs.com/...33#entry3246233

#10 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:05 AM

View PostVoivode, on 24 March 2014 - 09:59 AM, said:

Something is already being done.

http://mwomercs.com/...33#entry3246233

You mean, they're actually paying attention? Shocker.

#11 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:20 AM

I'll say, I learned to avoid them a bit more and starting using AMS when possible but yes, the continuous rain storm make me rage quit in an instant. When you get in that infinite barrage where you can't fight back or expect to escape, that is no fun at all.

I think the minimum range should be increased on LRMs honestly. That way if that lone LRM boat gets caught with someone coming at him, they aren't just shower you with missiles until you die. I'm talking minimum range of like 500-600m

Use the other missile types if you want close range missile support.

#12 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

View PostOriginalTibs, on 24 March 2014 - 07:52 AM, said:

So what can be done?

Wait for next patch, where the missile speed is being reduced to 160 and the cockpit shake to .35. See if that solves anything.

#13 Enigmos

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:03 AM

Seems awfully passive. But we shouldn't expect lights to function like, you know, lights instead of pretending to be brawlers I suppose...

#14 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:08 AM

View PostKali Rinpoche, on 24 March 2014 - 09:39 AM, said:

I wish I had. Tying to level the last bit of my CN9s I went 71/72 for .99 K/D. Before this silliness I was 1.23 K/D in them.

There are now only 3 meta's PPC/AC5 poptart, LRM+artemis, and ECM ravens w/ER LL. If you use any other build (non-assault) and you get the first 15x LRM 15+Art shower, you are toast.

I'm all for tactics and good game play, but this speed patch has destroyed diversity builds.

Hahahahaa - I'm doing the same thing. Tell you what - a 50 ton brawler is not the best mech to take during the Lurmpocalypse. Grinding has been real hard with them. FINALLY got speed tweak on my freebie.

#15 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 24 March 2014 - 11:08 AM, said:

Hahahahaa - I'm doing the same thing. Tell you what - a 50 ton brawler is not the best mech to take during the Lurmpocalypse. Grinding has been real hard with them. FINALLY got speed tweak on my freebie.

I've been doing the same, it's nasty. My advice, take a UAV. Not only do you get the spotting bonus, but with all the LRMs & ECM you also get C-ECM bonuses and UAV assist bonuses as well. If placed right and not shot down, a UAV will typically give me an extra 300 XP per match.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:13 AM

A small collection for those having trouble; this should tide you over until the patch next week.

Advice for lights.
Reasoning.
"The quiet bird is the bird that doesn't get smoked."

Advice for the slow but powerful.
"You can never win by hiding; advance out of sight and come from behind."

General advice.
"LRMs are faster at long range than at short range. Close in."

Advice for Commanders and/or a fight on Alpine. "Don't fight on the enemy's terms; fight on your terms."
The new battle area described with the two layers of cover and no high rise is to the West of the popular H I J 9 mountain, too far for them to shoot at effectively with cover just high enough to prevent even the snipers from doing it. Give it a try.

#17 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:53 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 24 March 2014 - 11:08 AM, said:

Lramgeddon was a really interesting time for me to finally start learning how to pilot assaults. I chose the Battlemaster 1G as my first ever assault mech. I had an absolutely miserable time (W/L: 0.76, K/D: 0.81). I picked up the missile variant 1S next. Had a trolling good time (W/L: 1.52, K/D: 1.81). These are from mostly PUGs. I've since avoided bringing out the 1G unless I'm with a premade. But damn, did I have a lot of fun pugging with the 1s. Locks, NARCs, and UAVs were plentiful as I notched several 800+ damage games. The good news is I've got enough XP in both mechs so when I can afford the third variant and quickly get the basics done, I'll be able to elite the other two instantly, which should help.

During the first couple days I got killed A LOT by LRMs. But, I have noticed that people tend to be a little more patient and wiser about not running out into the open. I mean before if you did that you might die in 15 secs, now if you do you'll die in 5 lmao. My two most successful builds during this time were a SHD-2D2 with streaks (killed a lot of would-be NARCers), and a CTF-3D tried and true jumpsniper (only because I'm too poor to afford a Victor right now :) ). Mobility is extremely helpful. Not the best time to be a Hunchback or Centurion pilot.

#18 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:48 PM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 24 March 2014 - 09:41 AM, said:

What do you mean 2.0? Aren't we up to 3 or 4 now?

Any time LRMs get made into a balanced weapon the hue and cry from the Poptart AC/PPC meta crowd gets it reversed and PGI acts like they're doing gamers a favor and not some small special interest defending their perch on the pile. Just you watch the freakout that happens if PGI goes through with the threatened big nerf to all things AC. They lost their minds when the m/s got dropped by different rates on the AC20 and AC10. If anything happens more to the ACs or PPCs...

Boom. Scrambled brain salad for everyone with crunchy skull chips.

May they rage quit before that and save us the drama.

#19 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:01 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 24 March 2014 - 10:48 PM, said:

Any time LRMs get made into a balanced weapon ...

Funny guy. Go play a Jenner for a change instead of your LRM60. THEN tell us about how balanced LRMs are.

#20 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:34 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 25 March 2014 - 12:01 AM, said:

Funny guy. Go play a Jenner for a change instead of your LRM60. THEN tell us about how balanced LRMs are.

How slow is your Jenner?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users