Guide

53 replies to this topic

#1 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:44 AM

EDIT: This Guide is outdated and will require a rewrite. I will need more time analyze the new rewards and see if PGI makes any more adjustments. One thing I will say in the interim is to play Conquest; It's the money maker now.

http://www.qqmercs.com/?p=3945

Money. Everyone wants it and no one ever has enough. So how are the rewards structured in Mechwarrior Online and what should you be doing to get more money faster?

C-bill Breakdown

Posted Image

What this means for you:

Don’t play Conquest for cbills. At best you can hope to break even, however, most games will reward significantly less. Most combat oriented rewards are cut in half making resource capture paramount. This means quick stomps will reward less because you haven’t had time to build up a sizable resource score.

What makes it worse is that Conquest doubly punishes you for losing. Whenever you lose, you miss out on any potential salvage your team had built up. In Conquest, not only do you get zero salvage, but your resource reward is way lower. In total, we’re talking 30,000 to 60,000 cbills less for losing. Add in Premium time and a hero mech bonus and that’s upward to 100,000 in cbills missed just for losing. The only Silver lining for Conquest is the increased chance for Defensive Kill Bonuses.

Assists:

Assists are the low hanging fruit of rewards and will likely form the bulk of your earnings. To get one, you merely have to do 1% damage to a mech at any point in the game. As long as the mech dies eventually, you have locked down 6,500 cbills. ER Large Lasers are great in this role particularly for all the fast movers that your autocannons or missiles can’t reliably hit.

Why do kills reward so little?

This is a common misconception that kills give you much less compared to assists. What people often overlook is that you will always get at least one component destruction bonus with every single kill. This gives you a minimum of 6,400 cbill reward for every kill vs 6,500 for an assist. Still lower, but not by much. However, if you’re shooting a side torso off an XL mech with an arm still attached you will get 1 kill + 2 component destructions for 8,500. Moral of the story: Don’t bother pulling your shots at the last second.

How do Savior Kill bonuses work?

Basically if an enemy mech shoots at a critically damaged friendly mech and you hit the enemy mech all within the span of 10 seconds, you get a savior kill bonus. You do not need to get the killshot. Just tag it with a laser and you’re set. You can get multiple savior kills from a single assist, so don’t neglect this handy bonus.

Defensive Kill Bonuses:

Just like savior kills, but it requires the enemy to be in your cap point when you shoot it and then it has to dies on the cap point within 10 seconds. They’re more common in Conquest. Defensive kills can stack with savior kill bonuses.

Spot Assists:

Spot assists basically just means you hold lock for some LRM boat. If you’re the closest target holding lock, you get a reward for every new target he hits. Can stack with multiple LRM users on a single target.

TAG/NARC Bonus:

Like spot assist, but it’s not on a per volley basis. I believe it’s one bonus possible per enemy mech. Unlike spot assists you can get tag assists with your own LRMs.

ECM Counter:

If you counter an ecm for 5 seconds you get this bonus. You get this reward in one of three ways. Settings your ECM to disrupt, BAP, and a UAV. It’s important to note that TAG, PPC, and NARC do not give you counter ecm rewards.

Salvage:

Salvage is a complicated one, but suffice it to say in a full kill game, you will usually get somewhere between 10,000 and 20,000 cbills. It’s a universal reward, so everyone gets the same salvage number no matter how many kills/assists you had. You can think of this as your win reward because you only get this bonus if you win.

All you need to know is that you are better off dismembering a mech for component destruction bonuses than you are cockpitting them for maximum salvage. At best a mech is worth a couple thousand cbills in salvage. It is better to get 4 or 5 component destructions instead.

Damage:

Everyone loves to focus on damage numbers, but the long of the short of it is damage really doesn’t pay well. For 21 cbills per point of damage, you need to do over 300 damage just to get the same amount as one assist. An impressive 1,000 damage game rewards you the same as 3 measly assists. I see a lot of people complaining about rewards when they score nice damage numbers, but have mediocre stats elsewhere. So remember: more damage is more cbills, but it’s not the be-all-end-all.

Disconnecting, Leaving, Dying:

If you leave or disconnect before dying, you will only get rewards you gained prior to leaving. This means no future assist bonus and no salvage if your team wins. However, if you die and leave, you will still get full bonuses as if you were still in game. Don’t stick around after you die if you’re trying to maximize your cbills.

Modifiers:

There are two modifiers that can increase your cbill accumulation. Premium time gives you a 50% cbill boost. Hero Mechs and certain Phoenix package mechs give you a 30% boost while founder mechs give you a 25% cbill boost. Obviously, this is going to make a huge difference in your income. If money is your mission, you’re going to want premium time running and to be piloting a bonus mech. These will probably make the biggest difference out of anything else here.

Achievements:

There are a few notable achievements you should try to hit if you haven’t already.
  • 1 headshot: 50,000 cbills
  • 5 assists in a game: 50,000 cbills
  • 10 assists in a game: 75,000 cbills
Putting it all Together:

With all this information in hand, how do you apply it to your mech and playstyle to maximize your cash? Here is what I would advise you to bring:

Weapons:
  • An ER Large Laser or some other long range weapon for assists
  • An LRM for snagging assists and last second hits when you can’t get a clear shot. (optional)
  • A TAG for TAG/NARC bonus
Modules:
  • Target Decay for maximum spotting assists
  • Target Info Gather
  • Don’t use consumables. They do not pay for themselves.
Other:
  • Two bonus mechs to switch between when you die
  • ECM/BAP
  • Speed
Strategy:

You are going to want a long range weapon like an ER Large Laser and your first priority is to hit every new mech you see. Early game is the best time for this because everyone is moving around in the open to get into positions. Try to keep a mental note of what mechs you have hit. Don’t worry about damage, just make sure you are within range and your reticule goes red. Then move on to another target. It works even better if you have multiple long range weapons. Set them to chainfire initially so you don’t miss an exposed mech while your weapons are on cooldown.

Watch for LRM icons on the enemy. As soon as you see one, target the mech, get your TAG on it and shoot it with your ER LL or LRM. This can net you multiple spot assists, a TAG assist, a regular assist, and a potential savior kill bonus.

Speaking of savior kills, whenever you see a mech that’s about to go down focus it and at least hit it once. This ensures you get an assist and sets yourself up for potential savior kill bonuses. Toward the end of a match when mechs start dying faster and faster, set your long cooldown weapons to chainfire so you can cycle through targets and grab up as many savior kill bonuses as you can.

Knock off components when possible. Just keep your eye out for vulnerable components and snag em if you can. It’s easy money. Target info gathering can help here.

Speed can be critical when you’re trying to get a piece of the action every time a new blip pops up on your radar. Try to pick something that can move at a reasonable pace or you’re going to miss out on a lot of money.

When you die, leave. I personally would rather see the outcome of the match, but it’s inefficient to stick around after you have died. Obviously this is more of a solo queue thing.

Last but not least, win! Winning gives you a salvage bonus, and will generally lead to more kills/assist/savior kill bonuses. Win as much as you can and you will earn money faster.

Posted Image

Edit 4/17: Changed Spot Assist description.

Edited by Jman5, 28 October 2014 - 01:51 PM.

#2 Lord Perversor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:10 AM

Worth to notice:
Engines are the most expensive equipment to be salvaged the more you salvage the more money you can get thus Legging or Headshooting it's way better than straight Ct or ST shooting in terms to increase raw incoming.

I would luv to see the C-bill payment after a match where the opposing 12 mech got legged and their engines survived specially XL ones.

#3 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:25 AM

Good post, Jman5!

#4 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:18 PM

Well done. Thank you :lol:

#5 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:39 PM

I would argue about whether or not consumables pay for themselves or not, UAVs can potentially give quite a good return, as they can get up to 3 modifiers. (UAV, UAV assist, and Counter ECM) They only cost 40k each, and you don't have to use it in the match if it will offer no advantage. Artillery and air strikes can also score kills and components. The key is knowing when to use them. Pop a UAV when no one's around and yes, you just wasted 40k, but pop it when you are fairly close to a large group of enemies, and watch as the C-bills and XP rack up. They also help keep you and your allies alive, and help you defeat the other guy, so you stay in the fight longer, and have more chances to gain C-bills and XP.

#6 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for the guide Jman5! Consumable usage really depends on where you are in the game. Someone that has all the mechs they want(mastered) and 100+ million c-bills laying around probably uses them more liberally than a new player grinding for the next mech.

I am guilty of using a lot of consumables and probably spent 300-500 million on them easily. New players should beware of these things like major c-bill sinks and focus on mechs, engines, upgrades first. Hero mechs and/or premium time really make a difference in this situation.

Edited by Kin3ticX, 16 April 2014 - 01:35 PM.

#7 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:07 PM

Hey guys thanks for responding.

Consumables:
FIrst off, I use them every game because as you guys are saying they are incredibly helpful and I am not short of money. I wasn't trying to imply that they aren't worth using. I was making the argument that if money is your goal, don't use consumables (although technically you could use 100% MC versions and bypass this argument completely, but that's kind of crazy).

Let's take UAV for example:

Cost: 40,000 Cbills

To make UAVs worth their weight in cbills, the launching of that UAV has to earn you 40,001 cbills. If it doesn't than you were better off not using it. Again we're assuming that money is our goal. Maybe we really want that banshee so we're grinding hard.

As Vanguard mentioned there are 3 rewards you can get for that UAV:
  • UAV Detect: 500 Cbills (x12 max)
  • UAV Assist: 2,100 cbills (dependent on your team)
  • Counter ECM: 1,500 cbills (per mech)
Realistically, you're never going to make those values add up to 40,000 cbills no matter how well you do. I used a UAV an awful lot in the last few weeks and I regularly checked the rewards. I never even got close to breaking even.

However, one thing I had not thought to consider was the effect hero mech + premium time might have on this. That would be a +80% cbill reward modifier. You would need to make about a base of 22,500 cbills in UAV rewards to get a tiny profit of 500 cbills. Daunting but let's see:
  • 12 UAV detects (unrealistic): 6,000 cbills
  • 6 UAV assists (unrealistic): 12,600
  • 3 counter ecm (optimistic): 4500

Comes out to 23,100 cbills. Multiply that by 1.8 for the 80% cbill modifier and you get 41,580 cbills. 1,580 cbill profit. You need every cbill modifier, and have the kind of game I have yet to see just to make a tiny profit. If some of you are regularly making more than 22,500 cbills on UAV rewards alone, I would love to see it, but from my personal experience, you're not making money on consumables.

Artillery, airstrike and coolshot have even lower returns.

Again don't get me wrong; Consumables are fantastic. the UAV is especially great for grinding experience. However, they come at a cost that you can't realistically overcome.

Edited by Jman5, 16 April 2014 - 03:09 PM.

#8 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:57 PM

Well, if a UAV or a Arty strike generates a spinoff, like winning, then there is a return on investment. Problem is actually metering that ROI. I know that 4-mans in tryhard mode will probably all bring Coolshot 9 by 9, Arty, and Air. I suppose if your 4-man was LRM intensive, UAV would be more about winning than mere c-bills from spotting bonuses.

so basically, the UAV payoff would be: spotting bonuses + chance to score a kill/cripple + increased chance of winning

However, I still think a new player should avoid consumables until they establish at least a basic inventory of mechs they like.

Edited by Kin3ticX, 16 April 2014 - 05:07 PM.

#9 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:14 PM

View PostKin3ticX, on 16 April 2014 - 04:57 PM, said:

Well, if a UAV or a Arty strike generates a spinoff, like winning, then there is a return on investment. Problem is actually metering that ROI. I know that 4-mans in tryhard mode will probably all bring Coolshot 9 by 9, Arty, and Air. I suppose if your 4-man was LRM intensive, UAV would be more about winning than mere c-bills from spotting bonuses.

so basically, the UAV payoff would be: spotting bonuses + chance to score a kill/cripple + increased chance of winning

However, I still think a new player should avoid consumables until they establish at least a basic inventory of mechs they like.

New(er) players should have a look at their stats. Look at the 'module' stats. If you've played enough matches with a certain module (UAV, Arty, Airstrike), look at your W/L ratio with them. Call it like this: The percentage of matches that you win with that module TIMES the difference in average C-Bill payout between wins and losses EQUALS a magic number. Add that number to your spotting, C/ECM, whatever bonus. If it comes out above 40k C-Bills, and you don't have better W/L and KDR with another module, then take the consumable. If you do a LOT better with seismic sensor and advanced sensor range, then take them instead.

TL;DR: Look at your stats to see if consumable modules are worth the cost.

#10 Atlasian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:43 PM

This is good info Jman5. Many thanks! Wish I can give you Cbills in return :P

I learned right from the start that Assist earns you the bulk of the money. My first Mech in MWO is a Catapult, so I earned my Cbills by firing LRMs at as many targets as possible in hope to chalk up the Assist. It works.

#11 Ghostchips Condensate I and II

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 97 posts
  • LocationSouthern Islands

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:05 PM

View PostVanguard319, on 16 April 2014 - 12:39 PM, said:

I would argue about whether or not consumables pay for themselves or not, UAVs can potentially give quite a good return,

Only if your team knows how to lock a target. Players in my bracket often do not for some reason.

#12 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:11 PM

View PostAtlasian, on 16 April 2014 - 10:43 PM, said:

This is good info Jman5. Many thanks! Wish I can give you Cbills in return :P

I learned right from the start that Assist earns you the bulk of the money. My first Mech in MWO is a Catapult, so I earned my Cbills by firing LRMs at as many targets as possible in hope to chalk up the Assist. It works.

Ohh man I wish this game had an Economy, even if we both had to have premium accounts to trade with each other.

#13 Atlasian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:20 PM

One question. Is there any difference in the amount you earned from a battle, if you Mech is destroyed or survived?

#14 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:49 PM

I confirm that spot assist requires you to have visual of target upon missile impact.

#15 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:15 AM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 16 April 2014 - 06:14 PM, said:

New(er) players should have a look at their stats. Look at the 'module' stats. If you've played enough matches with a certain module (UAV, Arty, Airstrike), look at your W/L ratio with them. Call it like this: The percentage of matches that you win with that module TIMES the difference in average C-Bill payout between wins and losses EQUALS a magic number. Add that number to your spotting, C/ECM, whatever bonus. If it comes out above 40k C-Bills, and you don't have better W/L and KDR with another module, then take the consumable. If you do a LOT better with seismic sensor and advanced sensor range, then take them instead.

Don't these stats just record you having the module/consumable equipped? My Locust have arty and UAV equipped, but I don't use them often because the circumstances are not right. No nice cluster of enemies for instance, or hardly any missile mechs on my team. It still counts as a battle I've 'used' that consumable if I'm not mistaken.

#16 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:20 AM

Spot Assists:

I believe you might have overlooked the limitation.
1 spotting assist for each friendly - enemy pair.
Eg.
You can get 3 spotting assist each for spotting for Friendly A, B and C on Enemy A.
But you can only get this once.
You can get another 3 spotting assist each for spotting for Friendly A, B and C on Enemy B.

#17 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:20 AM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 16 April 2014 - 06:14 PM, said:

TL;DR: Look at your stats to see if consumable modules are worth the cost.

Hey, that's a great point I had not even thought to consider. Although wouldn't it be better to compare your total W/L ratio compared with your W/L ratio of the consumable in question? For example, my W/L ratio with UAV's is actually lower than my overall W/L ratio. By this logic I would be better off using one of my permanent/sunk cost module.

View PostAtlasian, on 16 April 2014 - 11:20 PM, said:

One question. Is there any difference in the amount you earned from a battle, if you Mech is destroyed or survived?

No but there should be for the winners at least. However in practical terms dying prematurely cuts off almost all future earnings. You can't get a savior kill or component destruction if you're dead.

View PostShinVector, on 17 April 2014 - 12:20 AM, said:

Spot Assists:

I believe you might have overlooked the limitation.
1 spotting assist for each friendly - enemy pair.
Eg.
You can get 3 spotting assist each for spotting for Friendly A, B and C on Enemy A.
But you can only get this once.
You can get another 3 spotting assist each for spotting for Friendly A, B and C on Enemy B.

Yeah, I've heard this a few times and I have been trying to confirm it. I think 'll just go ahead and change it up for now. Thanks.

Edited by Jman5, 17 April 2014 - 09:20 AM.

#18 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:09 AM

View PostJman5, on 10 April 2014 - 10:44 AM, said:

Don’t play Conquest for cbills.

Actually, do. A lot. Conquest matches are typically way shorter than in other modes, so the actual Cbill income per hour is quite good, especially with assists (i.e. being active). And if a match lasts longer, you gather a pile of resources and bring it close to the Assault/Skirmish level.

#19 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:50 AM

Thankyou for putting the effort into making this.
I've been trying to put it together myself, but you've done the work admirably, and provided a nice guide aswell.

Bookmarked it, as it's a helpful resource.

If you can add XP rewards aswell, it'd be just about perfect. ^_^

Edited by Ovion, 17 April 2014 - 10:51 AM.

#20 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

Nice post. You clearly put a lot of time and effort into it.

One thing though;

View PostJman5, on 10 April 2014 - 10:44 AM, said:

Don’t play Conquest for cbills. At best you can hope to break even, however, most games will reward significantly less. Most combat oriented rewards are cut in half making resource capture paramount. This means quick stomps will reward less because you haven’t had time to build up a sizable resource score.

There is no cost to drop, no down side to dying - every single match you gain some Cbills, even if you died in the first little bit, and your team lost, you will come out ahead.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users