1126 replies to this topic

#41 TygerLily

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:24 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 14 April 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

I'll take my chances alongside a group, thanks. At the very least, it should be a better game than the average PUG game. I know how to react to what my teammates are doing, why not make that my call? I think most players worth their salt would take this option.

God help you if you're the PUG...our community isn't known for it's kindness in the chat. I say keep them in the "Public Solo" and let the 11-man drop short a guy...

#42 Abivard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:24 AM

Simply addressing your "can do"

Why even allow any groups in the solo queue if there is a group queue?

If you have even One group in the solo queue then it is no longer a solo queue is it?

Is that a temporary feature until the public group only queue is functional?

#43 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:26 AM

I'm glad to see this kind of post. There has been a lot of talk on this subject lately and its nice to see it has not gone unnoticed. ;)

As someone who almost exclusively pugs I would join in the group queue so long as I got a small bonus for essentially helping speed the match maker up. Maybe 10k C-bills for stick around until the end of the match and double that if my team wins.

Then just give me the option to queue up for both solo queue and group queue when I hit play.

As for the weight limits, just throw them out for the group queue. Having two queues, one with rules and one without, would be nice even for a puggy such as myself.

#44 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:27 AM

View PostAbivard, on 14 April 2014 - 10:24 AM, said:

Simply addressing your "can do"

If you have even One group in the solo queue then it is no longer a solo queue is it?

Is that a temporary feature until the public group only queue is functional?

It's the public queue, not the solo queue. No reason not to let small groups play there, to be honest. Can you give a compelling reason why it should be solo only?

#45 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:31 AM

View PostHeffay, on 14 April 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

It's the public queue, not the solo queue. No reason not to let small groups play there, to be honest. Can you give a compelling reason why it should be solo only?

Pug stomping and farming by premades who are to inept to survive the public group Queue.

#46 Rasc4l

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 496 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:33 AM

Thanks Paul, sounds good.

But I'd echo what was already said please allow single players to join the group queue if they want.

It also gives regular PUGs an opportunity to learn teamwork as they play alongside a couple of groups.

#47 QuimMorius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorway

By introducing the 2-10 man que and removing the 12-man public drops will hit my 600 player unit hard as we can't drop a 12-man team against a random team for training purposes, it's not everyone that are able to participate in tournaments at fixed times.

Couldn't que be 2-12 please?

The rest looks all good to me. ;)

#48 A Man In A Can

• 1,594 posts
  • LocationRetired

To eliminate the excuse that "evil pre mades" are ruining solo player's fun and that if stomps happen in a solo only queue, it's due to some other mysterious reason? ;)

#49 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:34 AM

View PostAbivard, on 14 April 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

Pug stomping and farming by premades who are to inept to survive the public group Queue.

View PostMechwarrior Mousse, on 14 April 2014 - 10:33 AM, said:

To eliminate the excuse that "evil pre mades" are ruining solo player's fun and that if stomps happen in a solo only queue, it's due to some other mysterious reason? ;)

The public queue will limit groups to one, and it will also ensure that the other team will also have one group.

Anything else?

Edited by Heffay, 14 April 2014 - 10:36 AM.

#50 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:35 AM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 14 April 2014 - 09:25 AM, said:

We have stated that 5-11 man teams will not be supported for the Launch Module and we are not changing that. However, it does not mean that the 5-11 man conundrum was dumped off the plate and into the trash.

It means exactly that for 2 years now.

As the numbers indicated in the previous post showed, group launches, no matter what size, were always going to be a smaller subset of the overall game population.

And those numbers are the result of YOUR attitude towards groups and units over those same 2 years.

Our design goal then became to ensure a much more even team build for the public matches and to add the private match lobby system for the competitive crowd.

What about non-competitive crowd who want to play with friends instead of what random people your matchmaker gives them?

Some of you may suggest that allowing solo players the ability to drop into the group queue would be the solution. A solo player would have MUCH greater success at winning in the regular public match than up against teams.

Shows what you know. If each team has that single player how is either of them have any greater chances of winning anything in group queue. If you gonna come up with an excuse at least come up with smth that makes sense please.

Private Matches
  • 2-24 players by invite only.
  • Can set game options/restrictions.
  • Used for competitive X vs Y players

So is it pay-to-play-with-friends? Or did you decide to allow to set team sizes in free private matches?

#51 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 14 April 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

So is it pay-to-play-with-friends? Or did you decide to allow to set team sizes in free private matches?

The group queue will let you play for free with any size groups (2-10) in a public queue. Where's the problem?

#52 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

Can option boxes similar to present game mode match options be used to help in this?

A solo player can check an option to be dropped in a group game to round out a team, but allow only ONE SOLO player per team. one person not on voip with the other 11 is not that detrimental. One could even say it adds immersion, i.e. that guys comm is down.

But I would recommend that solo only be truly that, solo dropping players only.

Public groups would be any size groups plus solos who would never drop as more than one solo per team.

The private queues.. abstain for now.

We the players can easily work around those options with ease is my view.

#53 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:39 AM

Paul,

What I have issue with early on is this sentence:

As the numbers indicated in the previous post showed, group launches, no matter what size, were always going to be a smaller subset of the overall game population.
Considering that the prior two years the player base was told the largest population was the pre-made group drops, I find the flip-flop sudden and jarring.

Also, if that point was actually true at any time previous, that the majority of people dropping were dropping as pre-mades, that causes me to doubt the finality of '...always going to be a smaller subset...'.

I'll exercise some extreme brevity and boil down all my potential discussion and counter arguments to this:

IF PGI starts implementing more pre-made group friendly features, and STOPS the nerfing of the pre-made group, I think PGI would find the numbers reverting to more closely to the original numbers, where most players would drop, most of the time, as part of a pre-made.

Edited by Dimento Graven, 14 April 2014 - 10:41 AM.

#54 TKSax

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:39 AM

I swear Paul looks at a something easy, (aka solo que, and group que ) and says Lets see if I can make this more complicated. I loved now how the group que was planned all along....

Here is a crazy Idea with the weight matching, class matching , 3v3v3v3 setup and elo, how about letting every one drop with any group size in the regular que for a 2 weeks or a month and see what happens, in the old 8v8 que we did not have ELO, and their was only class matching, I would be interesting to see what the results would be now.

#55 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:40 AM

View PostHeffay, on 14 April 2014 - 10:38 AM, said:

The group queue will let you play for free with any size groups (2-10) in a public queue. Where's the problem?

Problem is if I for example got 6 people we'll have 6 others on our team we want nothing to do with. Let alone 12 others on the other team.

#56 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:40 AM

View PostHeffay, on 14 April 2014 - 10:38 AM, said:

The fact that that's on the "back burner" per Paul. If this was coming on 4/29, it'd be a whole different deal. I'd be doing backflips of joy instead of getting pissed off.

Edited by Terciel1976, 14 April 2014 - 10:41 AM.

#57 HANGMAN1962

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 277 posts
  • Locationnew hampshire usa

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

well I'd like to se the 8 or less man teams put in,
cuz as often as not I cant get a full 12man together , but having an 8man or less option could fix that.
all so could let solo players see what an ogenized group can do too.

#58 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:42 AM

View PostAbivard, on 14 April 2014 - 10:24 AM, said:

Well, the idea is it would become the "solo queue". I think it would be fun to plop in to a match and know that, weakass syncdropping aside, everyone's on equal footing...from 3/3/3/3 to comms to ELO...

Currently, you need to allow groups because there isn't another place to drop with a group that isn't 12. If there were a group queue then that necessity isn't there.

#59 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:44 AM

View PostTygerLily, on 14 April 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:

Well, the idea is it would become the "solo queue". I think it would be fun to plop in to a match and know that, weakass syncdropping aside, everyone's on equal footing...from 3/3/3/3 to comms to ELO...

Currently, you need to allow groups because there isn't another place to drop with a group that isn't 12. If there were a group queue then that necessity isn't there.

Why make it a solo queue? What is the need for that, as opposed to the public queue (solo or 2-4 person groups, limit 1 group per side)?

I'm trying to figure out the *reason* you need to eliminate the small groups from the public queue.

#60 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:45 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 14 April 2014 - 09:47 AM, said:

Absolutely. I get that a lot of PUG players get all bent out of shape about grouped players, but there are a whole lot of us WHO REALLY PREFER PLAYING ALONGSIDE GROUPS.

I can't really emphasize that enough. Please, allow us to join the group queue. Please.

While I agree with you, what's going to happen is that lots of solo players will be dropping in the queue and they will fill up the teams. There is no way they can say hey we got a 5+3+1+1+1+1 in the queue right now but the other side has 6+4+1+1. At that point, it looks like the solo queue because it'll be so much easier to grab all those solo players and start the group while trying to fill in the group slots. Or could you imagine if it's 6+4+2 and the other people in the queue at the time will be 4+4+2+1+1. Because then, all that will happen is that the MM will be lumping too many people queued solo in the group queue with larger teams and the entire community will start the match maker complaining all over again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users