263 replies to this topic

#61 Agent 0 Fortune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:47 AM

View PostOethe, on 28 May 2014 - 11:37 AM, said:

Yeah you never make changes during an official competition, it would just be silly.

I find it a little sad that they didn't realize how over-powered and imbalanced the Air/Arti were until the tournament.
I guess until you see the actual detrimental impact to gameplay it is all just money in the bank from con$umables. But I guess these changes are better late than never.

I am indifferent about clan collection, and 4x3 is greatly delayed, and community warfare continues to be carrot we can't quite reach.

Even though the report is, "nothing new to report", it is still nice to get an update once in a while.

#62 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:55 AM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 28 May 2014 - 10:56 AM, said:

Just for clarification to those who have asked: The Modules available in the Collections which have raised P2W concerns are going to be graphically unique in their effects only. Other standard variations will follow for other players, just like with the Clan Mechs themselves.

That's a big relief.

Now I'd like to see those effects. :huh:

One other question: I see players can get between one and four bonus modules, yet you list five. So you can't catch 'em all? And do you get to pick which you get?

Edited by Felio, 28 May 2014 - 11:59 AM.

#63 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:58 AM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 28 May 2014 - 08:07 AM, said:

Clan weapons - There's not much of an update here, I've already explained in some Command Chair posts and with some interviews that the Clan weapons are going to be changed from their basic lore implementation. For example, the Autocannons are going to be firing in burst-fire mode, the LRMs will be in stream-fire mode. We have lasers which are going to have longer duration times. One of the things that we were talking about is the Clan LPX having switchable ammo types - right now we've found a problem that's inherent with our weapons system that's not allowing us to actually have an ammo swap-type. We are looking into possible other solutions and we'll let you know as soon as we can find out what we can do there. It's currently looking like we're going to be dealing with a mixture of a LBX and a actual clan autocannon. So basically, instead of being able to switch ammo types you'll be able to switch weapon types.

I like reading that Clan Weapons will operate differently, but could there also be some variety within weapon classes?

For example with the AC/20 class, for both IS and Clan, to have multiple types, such as one that has 3 damage per shot, another at 5 damage per shot, and another at 10 (obviously with adjusted ammo counts).

Good Luck with getting a better workaround on the problem preventing the switchable ammo!

There hasn't been a lot going on in terms of general balance in the game right now. There's two reasons for this - 1. We have a tournament running right now and we cannot change the gameplay mechanics while that tournament is running, but we are actively looking into the SRM issue. There is a thing out there called the "Button Fix" - Brian's still looking into that, we're also looking to make sure it's going to propagate properly across the network in terms of host-state rewind, and hit registration.

Could we learn more about the Button Fix in a Command Chair post? I'd like to read more on how that is progressing.

The autocannon nerf that we did to the AC2, you can expect that to start coming into effect for all autocannons, so that's the AC5, the AC10 and the AC20. What we're going to be doing is bringing in the range of all of the autocannons to make them more of a brawling weapons which they should be. The AC2 and AC5s will still be viable at long distance, it's just that they're not going to be pumping out as much DPS.

I'm confused on the relation between Range and then the mention of DPS, to be clear, will say cooldown for example be raised or even damage per shell reduced?

There's been some concerns over artillery and air strikes, we are looking at trying to balance that out a little bit. What might be happening is that there's a little bit of excessive damage happening in terms of the area effect splash damage. We're going to look into that, and if that's not the cause then basically what we're going to do is probably reduce the overall damage amount. One of the things that is still a concern is that some people are saying that there's a lot of registration hits basically directed to the head based on air and artillery strike. Now one thing I have to caveat with is that the air and artillery strike is actually hitting the head, it's not splash damage that's killing you, it's not like some weird thing happening, it's an actual shell hitting you in the head that blows up your `Mech. But we'll look into that, if it requires us to reduce the amount of damage done to the head, we will do it but we are looking into it.

If the idea is to only reduce the headshot potential, I'd say at least reducing to 30-32 damage should work, while encouraging players to run full head armor to avoid a headshot, although I'd like to have further changes consider as I posted here.

One other thing that is currently on the table and Alex Schmidt is actually working with the engineers on this, is relooking at the way Mechs take damage when they fall. Now that's things like a light mech taking way more damage than a heavy mech when they drop off from the same height. Now this is going to be based on a scalar system, so the bigger the `Mech the more damage they're going to take. Smaller the mech, again it all depends on how much health do you need to be dropping from.

Awesome!

#64 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 28 May 2014 - 11:47 AM, said:

I find it a little sad that they didn't realize how over-powered and imbalanced the Air/Arti were until the tournament.
I guess until you see the actual detrimental impact to gameplay it is all just money in the bank from con$umables. But I guess these changes are better late than never.

I am indifferent about clan collection, and 4x3 is greatly delayed, and community warfare continues to be carrot we can't quite reach.

Even though the report is, "nothing new to report", it is still nice to get an update once in a while.

Why would you say "they just realized it"? There was a tourney no less than 2 months ago (SAME EXACT PARAMETERS) with LRMs getting a recent buff at the time (since then, it was a small nerf).

Then there was a Medium vs the World Tourney a month or so prior.

This change has gone for 7 months since the debut of the Phoenix Pack. How much telemetry do you need... 7 months?
http://mwomercs.com/...49-15-oct-2013/

#65 AntiCitizenJuan

• 1,440 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:14 PM

I'm liking everything Paul has said. Punishing heavier mechs vs lighter mechs is a much better design decision, and bringing in ACs to brawling range is a good choice. Now if they fix SRMs, brawling becomes much more viable, and ranged combat remains viable

#66 Corbenik

• The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

View PostOdanan, on 28 May 2014 - 08:49 AM, said:

Except for the info about the horns and new modules, nothing new.

BTW, there will be "Clan modules"? I mean, modules mounted only in Clan mechs? How this is going to work?

the new modules he just said are all for the clans 2 weapon 2 mech from preorder and that extra 5th one that will probably have to be earned and cbilled the target loss one seems to be the most useful one and probably one that will have to be hard earned finally .

#67 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

The information was great so thanks for that.

Sorry but the camera work needs improvement, similar problem to last time, it looks like the camera was focused perfectly on the MWO poster (far left of picture) and the pole (far right of picture) but the faces all looked out of focus, I found that irritating, I am guessing the camera was set to manual focus but setup before the staff were in frame. would it be possible to set the camera up properly next time?
if you want the face and poster in sharp focus you will need to set the camera to a smaller aperture and possibly increase illumination or the cameras ISO settings to compensate.

Thanks

#68 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

2 months for this?

Russ' part was already given last week

Edited by Chemie, 28 May 2014 - 12:38 PM.

#69 lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 918 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:34 PM

Why does PGI not say how Advanced Targeting Computers are going to work?

#70 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:40 PM

View PostChemie, on 28 May 2014 - 12:32 PM, said:

2 months for this?
Russ' part was already given last week

And when he gave it last week, he mentioned that it was going to be in the VLOG that was just taped, but he didn't want to make us wait.

#71 MonkeyDCecil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 426 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:45 PM

Please take the time to shower and clean yourselves up before you next vlog. You all look very unprofessional. Its ok to have facial hair, but keep it clean. Keep on keeping on. Chin up.

Edited by MonkeyDCecil, 28 May 2014 - 12:46 PM.

#72 Kaldor

• 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:02 PM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 28 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

Feel free to fill my PM box with any questions regarding the Clan Collections which you feel remain unanswered and high priority. Thanks!

How about we get all the players that have quit because PGI hasnt fixed the base game mechanics yet send you a PM? You know stuff like why they have not fixed the heat system, why hit detection is so bad, when is weapon balance actually going to happen, why groups of long time Mechwarrior fans are in mass exodus, and long standing units are dying a slow painful death holding on for something that simply will never materialize?

Edit: Added more stuff.... Will probably add more...

Edited by Kaldor, 28 May 2014 - 01:06 PM.

#73 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:13 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 28 May 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

Why would you say "they just realized it"? There was a tourney no less than 2 months ago (SAME EXACT PARAMETERS) with LRMs getting a recent buff at the time (since then, it was a small nerf).

Then there was a Medium vs the World Tourney a month or so prior.

This change has gone for 7 months since the debut of the Phoenix Pack. How much telemetry do you need... 7 months?
http://mwomercs.com/...49-15-oct-2013/

You're thinking of the solo tourneys. I believe the devs were referring to the 12-man tourney currently in progress as the reason they can't make balance changes just yet.

#74 Cpt Leprechaun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:18 PM

The argument for 4x3 is ok however I feel Russ is missing something very fundamental. just because the numbers evened out "roughly" doesn't mean it was a success. what would be a true success would be if they didnt have to implement something like this in order to get people into lighter mechs. What they need to do is focus on Role Warfare (as explained in this video ) if the numbers even out without constrictions only then would I count this as a success. 4x3 is akin to ghost heat in that it is a band aid fix to a much larger issue with the core aspects of the game. Namely Weapon and Mech balance.

#75 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:20 PM

View PostStillRadioactive, on 28 May 2014 - 01:13 PM, said:

You're thinking of the solo tourneys. I believe the devs were referring to the 12-man tourney currently in progress as the reason they can't make balance changes just yet.

Personally, I have no objection to "avoid balance changes" during a tourney. What I'm talking about is how dreadfully obvious (the overuse of arty/airstrikes) that this was in previous tourneys (even before PGI's first team tourney). The fact that all of this has VISUALLY come to light, even though previous tourneys were EXACTLY LIKE THIS, suddenly they had an epiphany?

I mean, does a company have to be royally embarrassed for all to see before they make changes? If that were the case, I'm pretty sure there's plenty of footage of "bad things that occur in this game" (like stacked mechs) or bad mechanics to go around (ECM/3PV/whatever your gripe is) and show PGI.

It never had to come to a 3rd/4th tourney to make this dreadfully obvious.

Edited by Deathlike, 28 May 2014 - 01:21 PM.

#76 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:20 PM

Light mechs taking less damage in falls than heavier mechs?

You do realize that bigger mechs are, by their very nature, much more robustly built than lighter mechs, Quiaf? Thicker struts, more robust bracing, myomers capable of increased stressing needed to move larger war machines...

Has the Inner Sphere back-slid so badly that this simple logic is lost upon you? What Blakest fantasy has you thinking that lighter mechs without such building considerations wouldn't take more damage?

#77 Azeem447

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:29 PM

Okay so I saw the drop ship witch gives me hope that something good may be coming soon but more importantly? At the end with the Track IR test, what mech was that on the left of the tester? it didn't look like a centurion or trenchbucket...is there a chance that was a Black Knight?

#78 Cpt Leprechaun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

View PostKael 17, on 28 May 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

Light mechs taking less damage in falls than heavier mechs?

You do realize that bigger mechs are, by their very nature, much more robustly built than lighter mechs, Quiaf? Thicker struts, more robust bracing, myomers capable of increased stressing needed to move larger war machines...

Has the Inner Sphere back-slid so badly that this simple logic is lost upon you? What Blakest fantasy has you thinking that lighter mechs without such building considerations wouldn't take more damage?

because lights taking leg dmg from random rocks on the ground/ 2 foot falls is stupid. while assault mechs can jumpjet to max height and drop without taking leg dmg. also in case it wasn't known larger mechs tend to be well .. heavier and put more stress on the legs especially from equivalent altitude drops.

#79 JohnnyWayne

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:34 PM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 28 May 2014 - 10:44 AM, said:

Apologies for the delay, we had a number of questions and answers lined up and ready for the launch module release. We had to put it on ice and step back to be able to populate a fresher batch of questions in the short times available between work put in to correct the matchmaker for weight class limits. Some of those in-demand questions we just also didn't have answers or solutions for just yet, such as our new plan of action towards the matchmaker.

I find your lack of communication... Distrubing :3.

In the forums and twitter all nice and fancy, I actually read all that. But I dearly missed the old format of Ask the Devs, especially in these 2 months.

What can we expect of "different looking" modules? Oo

I'd love to see Jumpjetting mechs to fall over if they land too fast on the ground (additional to damage). It's been described many times in the lore.

Edited by JohnnyWayne, 28 May 2014 - 01:39 PM.

#80 Desintegrator

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:42 PM

Now we know what the 4 bonus modules will do - nice !
Lets buy the Masakari Edition now...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users