Is It Me Or Have My Fellow Mechwarriors Gotten More Ill-Mannered?

Social

180 replies to this topic

#101 Adiuvo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:08 AM

I don't think the MWO forums have ever been... nice, I suppose.

In game people are fine though.

As for how to fix this, it's not something PGI really can fix. It has to be done by the community and it's a slow process. Calling out people when they're toxic is the first step.

Edited by Adiuvo, 23 June 2014 - 09:09 AM.

#102 Sean Kye

• PipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 77 posts
  • LocationATL, Georgia

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:22 AM

Nov. 2011 here. And in game there seems to me to have been a marked increase in whining in general. There has always been some smack talk, but alot of what I see now is just flat rude.

#103 Abisha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:52 AM

View PostHellen Wheels, on 23 June 2014 - 08:56 AM, said:

They are attributes, like pedantry, and are usually discerned by social interaction, not scientific or mathematical measure.

Put THAT in your slide rule.
Posted Image
Dang, this game is more fun than MW:O!

GG, Clothes.

Manners are bullshit..

#104 Hellen Wheels

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationDraconis March

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:04 AM

View PostAbisha, on 23 June 2014 - 09:52 AM, said:

Manners are bullshit..

Indeed, refinement is a lost art, as is vocabulary building and genteel self-expression.

Those who lack them mirror an overall decline in good taste and education.

Sad, isn't it?

Edited by Hellen Wheels, 23 June 2014 - 10:06 AM.

#105 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:10 AM

You know, I try to be civil, I really do. In-game as well on the forums, but it's hard. It's hard in-game because I keep seeing people do the darndest things and then blame everyone else for being noobs. Like rushing in, firing LRMs at 100m and then accusing the team for not supporting them.

It's hard on the forums because I keep seeing people posting badly informed conjecture as fact - and that's not even counting the actual trolls, flamers, haters, and general trouble-makers. I see a post containing a factual error and I want to correct it (I'm fighting the urge to correct some minor details in Sandpit's history lesson as we speak), but when I do it's as likely to be met by scorn and derision as if I posted a flaming rant.

It's also hard to stay positive about a game that is basically the same TDM as it was two years ago; sure, there's some more bells and whistles, and a whopping single new game mode, but hell. They sure are taking their sweet time aren't they?

Especially as this is almost diametrically opposed to what they said they were planning to do when I gave them my first $120.

And finally, everything Sandpit said. Paul and Russ have lied to and outright insulted the player base a few times too many to really put any faith into anything they say.

So summing up, I do try to be civil, but it's really hard to stay positive. The recent batch of game fixes that went in with the Clan release has at least made the core game a bit more enjoyable (thanks, Buckton!), but the game is about as far from what they originally intended as it was when I joined in August 2012.

#106 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:29 AM

End of 2012. I'm still thankful to play MW in a MP format... with mechs following some sort of path from BT.

#107 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 22 June 2014 - 04:36 PM, said:

From the creation of this site to the release of the clans People have started out as a friendly & positive playerbase, now it's partially or majorly tainted with negative behavior seen from other game playerbases.

Drive away the original fanbase, embitter much of what's left with enough failed delivery, and you get a toxic fanbase instead.

#108 Triskelion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 226 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 22 June 2014 - 04:36 PM, said:

From the creation of this site to the release of the clans People have started out as a friendly & positive playerbase, now it's partially or majorly tainted with negative behavior seen from other game playerbases.

It's fairly standard etiquette to start hating everyone else after a free-to-play has been out for a year or two. It's more or less as good as you could expect it to be.

#109 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:16 PM

View PostSandpit, on 22 June 2014 - 10:43 PM, said:

P.S. As far as taking ownership for their part in it? An apology from Russ for openly mocking customers with things like
"islands"
and "true support"
would go a long way to at least START mending the perceptions of many. Regardless of your opinion on whether those perceptions are right or wrong, they're still the reality for that individual.

Here's another kicker;

If I posted on the forums and spoke honestly about what I think about Russ Bullock and his previous comments, I would likely be censored by the Moderators, if not banned. He's "management" and can insult a larger component of the community without worrying about it. I wonder how much money they'd pull in if they hadn't alienated so many founders?

At best he made some half-hearted "explanation" of his past comments that fell far short of apologizing. It's a shame too, because it's those comments that have played a significant part in my not further funding this game with purchases.

I will even pony up for a years premium time if he replies with a long overdue, and appropriate, apology. Odds are though that my money will stay put for now.

#110 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 23 June 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

Here's another kicker;

If I posted on the forums and spoke honestly about what I think about Russ Bullock and his previous comments, I would likely be censored by the Moderators, if not banned.

That is where I tend to disagree with me fellow "disgruntled" customers. I am and have been extremely critical of PGI for various reasons throughout the years both on the forums and on twitter. I've never been banned and can count the humber of times I've actually been moderated on one hand.

You just have to do it in a civil manner. That other stuff? Save that for K town and use that as your release valve when you just really feel the need to tear into something lol

#111 Ozy Hunter

• Pip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 13 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:53 PM

I've been here since closed beta and continue to play as regularly as I can.. In saying that, if people are looking for someone to play with, add me in game. I'm always up for some mech stomping action. :D

Edited by Ozy Hunter, 23 June 2014 - 12:54 PM.

#112 Votanin FleshRender

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 518 posts
  • Location3rd rock from the Sun

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:54 PM

Personally, I think the forums are better than ingame.

I wish to gawd I had screenshotted some of the names I was called (not to mention, upon asking for advice i was told to uninstall the game) after I had been playing for TWO DAYS.
And the profanity that gets spewed out ingame. One guy made the mistake of asking people to not swear so much, his 10 year old was watching. At least 4 players just dropped a long stream of F-bombs +.
And don't get me started on those ggclose douchebags when the score is 0-6...

Sure the forums can be rough and tumble, but outright rude? The mods keep a handle on the worst of that.

Wish there were mods for game chat too.

Edited by Votanin FleshRender, 23 June 2014 - 12:55 PM.

#113 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:56 PM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 22 June 2014 - 04:40 PM, said:

I wonder how many of the pre-2012 players are still here.

Here I am!

View Poststjobe, on 23 June 2014 - 10:10 AM, said:

You know, I try to be civil, I really do. In-game as well on the forums, but it's hard. It's hard in-game because I keep seeing people do the darndest things and then blame everyone else for being noobs. Like rushing in, firing LRMs at 100m and then accusing the team for not supporting them.

It's hard on the forums because I keep seeing people posting badly informed conjecture as fact - and that's not even counting the actual trolls, flamers, haters, and general trouble-makers. I see a post containing a factual error and I want to correct it (I'm fighting the urge to correct some minor details in Sandpit's history lesson as we speak), but when I do it's as likely to be met by scorn and derision as if I posted a flaming rant.

It's also hard to stay positive about a game that is basically the same TDM as it was two years ago; sure, there's some more bells and whistles, and a whopping single new game mode, but hell. They sure are taking their sweet time aren't they?

Especially as this is almost diametrically opposed to what they said they were planning to do when I gave them my first $120.

And finally, everything Sandpit said. Paul and Russ have lied to and outright insulted the player base a few times too many to really put any faith into anything they say.

So summing up, I do try to be civil, but it's really hard to stay positive. The recent batch of game fixes that went in with the Clan release has at least made the core game a bit more enjoyable (thanks, Buckton!), but the game is about as far from what they originally intended as it was when I joined in August 2012.

Look at you and me! We disagree quite often, but are civil about it. If more players could disagree like you and I... We'd have a forum to brag about! :D

#114 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:59 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 June 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

Here I am!

Look at you and me! We disagree quite often, but are civil about it. If more players could disagree like you and I... We'd have a forum to brag about! :D

too many people take something said about the game and/or PGI personally. Then they turn it into personal attacks. That's generally how things like that escalate in my experience.

#115 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:59 PM

I only started playing just over a year ago (Owing to having no PC until then) but even I have to agree that the quality of player has taken a steep dive.
Just today I had someone, whom I shall not name owing to myself being the bigger man, call me an *******, a ******** and a grandpa amongst other things, all in the space of one match. He also claimed to be able to trace my ISP and that it told him I was 42 (Seeing as I am 19 I dont see how this is possible).

But anyway, these players are really dragging this game down into the depths. We see them insulting in the matches, and whining in the forums, and sadly nothing seems to be done about them.

If we are not careful (Meaning you too PGI - yes, you may have to start banning some of your own playerbase) then this will end up another COD fiasco, dominated by loud mouthed 10 year olds and their vile ilk.

#116 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:14 PM

View PostSean Kye, on 23 June 2014 - 09:22 AM, said:

Nov. 2011 here. And in game there seems to me to have been a marked increase in whining in general. There has always been some smack talk, but alot of what I see now is just flat rude.

And Pugs don't even have the much desired Comms yet! LOL :D

#117 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:26 PM

View PostBlood Rose, on 23 June 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

I only started playing just over a year ago (Owing to having no PC until then) but even I have to agree that the quality of player has taken a steep dive.
Just today I had someone, whom I shall not name owing to myself being the bigger man, call me an *******, a ******** and a grandpa amongst other things, all in the space of one match. He also claimed to be able to trace my ISP and that it told him I was 42 (Seeing as I am 19 I dont see how this is possible).

But anyway, these players are really dragging this game down into the depths. We see them insulting in the matches, and whining in the forums, and sadly nothing seems to be done about them.

If we are not careful (Meaning you too PGI - yes, you may have to start banning some of your own playerbase) then this will end up another COD fiasco, dominated by loud mouthed 10 year olds and their vile ilk.

a lot of this would be solved by a block feature. That's another thing that baffles me. I can't think of many, if any, other examples of a game like this where you can't block dbags like that so you don't have to endure their foul mothed little tantrums. An easier reporting option would be very welcome as well instead of having to leave the game, memorize a screenname, write out an email, attach a screenshot, etc.

#118 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

View PostBlood Rose, on 23 June 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

Bad players don't drag a game down in my experience. Normally the good people end up doing the right thing and make the uncomfortable to the bad person and they walk away.

#119 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

We need some form of justice system or whatever we just need to find a way to get rid of all these troubles

#120 Hellen Wheels

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationDraconis March

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:19 PM

View PostSandpit, on 23 June 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

a lot of this would be solved by a block feature. That's another thing that baffles me. I can't think of many, if any, other examples of a game like this where you can't block dbags like that so you don't have to endure their foul mothed little tantrums.

This * infinity. My son (who is 22 now, and grew up watching me play Netmech, MPBT3025 etc.) was aghast that such a basic feature as this, and other basic features like built in lobbies, voice, CW, etc. was not included IN BETA.

Rightfully so.

Simply inexcusable. Truly Dread.

Edited by Hellen Wheels, 23 June 2014 - 02:21 PM.

58 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 58 guests, 0 anonymous users