Is It Me Or Have My Fellow Mechwarriors Gotten More Ill-Mannered?

Social

180 replies to this topic

#121 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:19 PM

I believe we have a CoC for the forum. I seem to notice the worst behavior in my New (Low Elo) Alts more than as Joe.

#122 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:28 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 June 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

I believe we have a CoC for the forum. I seem to notice the worst behavior in my New (Low Elo) Alts more than as Joe.

We do, but that doesn't prevent you from having to listen to stuff that violates that in the game while playing though. And you have absolutely no way to stop or prevent it other than quit the game, which in and of itself is technically a violation of the CoC even if for a good reason and still doesn't solve the issue. Even a simple chat filter would have helped but no mute function or blacklist ability just always baffled me.

#123 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:39 PM

For teh record when I hear violations of the CoC... It's on the Law's own Comms and we are a known R rated comms channel... seeing how we are all former and present baby killers. ^_^

#124 Hellen Wheels

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationDraconis March

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:48 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 June 2014 - 02:39 PM, said:

For teh record when I hear violations of the CoC... It's on the Law's own Comms and we are a known R rated comms channel... seeing how we are all former and present baby killers. ^_^

For the record, the "Law's" eccentricities have nothing to do with the conversation.

Just because the "Laws" are uncouth in private doesn't mean it is acceptable to be so in public.

Thanks for playing anyway. GG, Clothes.

Edited by Hellen Wheels, 23 June 2014 - 02:49 PM.

#125 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:00 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 June 2014 - 02:39 PM, said:

I understand that but there's a huge difference between being a little rough around the edges and constantly spewing racial slurs, talking about someone's mother, cussing like a child who just learned all the new "cool" words, constantly badgering another player about forum stuff, etc.

Smack talk is cool. It's part of competition in my eyes.
Outright harassment and spewing hate just because you're an anonymous dbag safe behind the internet is not. Not to mention just simply being able to NOT have to team up with people like that or people who grief others through their play style, etc.

I still <3 you though Joe :P

#126 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

View PostHellen Wheels, on 23 June 2014 - 02:48 PM, said:

For the record, the "Law's" eccentricities have nothing to do with the conversation.

Just because the "Laws" are uncouth in private doesn't mean it is acceptable to be so in public.

Thanks for playing anyway. GG, Clothes.
Has everything to do with the conversation actually. If you want to claim you have a grasp on diversity then you have to accept us bad eggs for who/what we are. You cannot say you diverse and turn around and put limits on what is acceptable. To me, those claiming to be your ideal of diverse are uncouth. I been here for 3 years, reading hundreds... If not thousands of attempt to insult me or get under my skin by folks being insulting... Trust me, the worst you may have seen to date, pales in comparison to what I often am thinking instead of typing. :P

View PostSandpit, on 23 June 2014 - 03:00 PM, said:

I understand that but there's a huge difference between being a little rough around the edges and constantly spewing racial slurs, talking about someone's mother, cussing like a child who just learned all the new "cool" words, constantly badgering another player about forum stuff, etc.

I still <3 you though Joe :D
Have you Listened to Soldiers talk at all??? That sounds like our friendly round table discussions to a tee! Do not mistake my manners on the forum, for how I talk in real life. ^_^

<3 you too Pit!

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 23 June 2014 - 03:09 PM.

#127 Riptor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:04 PM

While i can be very...cynic.. on the forums i usually refrain from being "toxic" in the game... unless someones really asking for it by being very arrogant or insulting players.. and even then i refrain from using name calling.

Oh and yeah.. pre CBT person here... thought in the last months i have taken a step away from MWO and focused more on games like Warthunder... wich have alot more features despite being more or less a brand new product...

#128 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:26 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 June 2014 - 03:03 PM, said:

Has everything to do with the conversation actually. If you want to claim you have a grasp on diversity then you have to accept us bad eggs for who/what we are. You cannot say you diverse and turn around and put limits on what is acceptable. To me, those claiming to be your ideal of diverse are uncouth. I been here for 3 years, reading hundreds... If not thousands of attempt to insult me or get under my skin by folks being insulting... Trust me, the worst you may have seen to date, pales in comparison to what I often am thinking instead of typing. :D
Have you Listened to Soldiers talk at all??? That sounds like our friendly round table discussions to a tee! Do not mistake my manners on the forum, for how I talk in real life. ^_^

<3 you too Pit!

yes but I'm sure you understand as well that there's a big difference between
"Hey f'ing noob! Look here you little "n" word, get out of the way"
and
"Dammit! Get out of my way dude! Are you simple?"

or
"You little "n" word suck! I'll bet your j*w mom was a na*i *****!"
and
"lol learn to play noob, you couldn't hit an atlas with a dropship dumba**!"

not to mention that, it's harder for a parent to justify allowing a younger kid to play thte game with them without the ability to censor that because there's no tools available for it.

DO or die
Semper Fi
Not as lean, not as mean, but STILL a foul-mouthed Marine :P

#129 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:37 PM

Being who I am, and how I was raised as well as my service. I don't see a difference. There wasn't a single reference to skullFing, backdoor action, or glass parking lots, or gratuitous play with steaming entrails!

#130 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:38 PM

Eh...

I think it is blown somewhat out of proportion - MWO's community is pretty tame compared to most games. Yeah, we've all had the occasional foul-mouthed idiot, but I'll just give you a comparison:

1) In MWO, it is not uncommon to run into folks who are new and who admit it publicly on general chat. Mostly, they get "welcomes," a few bits of help, such as "stick with your team and focus fire," along with the occasional joke, such, as "Well, I guess you die first!" That's about it from what I've seen.

2) Back in March, I was visiting family and my brother-in-law is big into DOTA2. He offered to let me play a game to get a feel for it, and he warned the team I was new. Immediately, VoIP lit up with cursing at me, and after that was muted, team chat was filled with "F--- you!' and "I hope somebody kills you!" and "Die, you worthless &&$%^!" For the record, we won that match, I wasn't even the most useless person on my team, which should tell you something... and yet "oddly" I've had zero interest in playing DOTA 2 after that experience... I wonder why?

So, yeah... I've never seen a new player be buried under profanity, much less death wishes, in MWO, so we're a pretty tame group, all things considered.

#131 At least I can shoot

• PipPipPip
  • The Star
  • The Star
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:41 PM

One of the guys I drop with, got raged at the other day for saying GLHF at the start. The guy on the enemy team pretty much said he doesn't like being told to have fun.

#132 Zensei

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 605 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:46 PM

Smack talk is cool. It's part of competition in my eyes.
Outright harassment and spewing hate just because you're an anonymous dbag safe behind the internet is not. Not to mention just simply being able to NOT have to team up with people like that or people who grief others through their play style, etc.

I still <3 you though Joe ^_^

you are such a jackass

#133 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:46 PM

Those of you still complaining about the "Island" comment need to get the sand out of your ******.

Then leave your mother's basement and learn what a real insult is.

Edited by Rebas Kradd, 23 June 2014 - 03:46 PM.

#134 By Dysentery

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:21 PM

Truth.

I can only speak for myself but PGI´s history of ... well ... not neccessarily treating their customer base as it expects to be, certainly had an effect on my behaviour.

Take the introduction of Clan Mechs. My experiences with PGI made me suspect that less paying customers (=IS only players) are set up as cannon fodder for the time being. This will most likely be only temporary. But I can´t shake the idea of this period as a conscious business decision to give those who bought the clan package the feeling it was worth it. Which in turn will make them more likely to spend such ridiculous sums in the future.

Conspiracy theory? Might be. But from what I know of PGI not impossible.

As a result I am more hostile to clan players. I am much less willing to give "gg close" the benefit of the doubt.

Yes, that might not be fair.

#135 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:45 PM

View PostAt least I can shoot, on 23 June 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

One of the guys I drop with, got raged at the other day for saying GLHF at the start. The guy on the enemy team pretty much said he doesn't like being told to have fun.

Well some folks don't like being told to have a nice day... Same principle.

#136 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:58 PM

View PostSandpit, on 23 June 2014 - 12:42 PM, said:

That is where I tend to disagree with me fellow "disgruntled" customers. I am and have been extremely critical of PGI for various reasons throughout the years both on the forums and on twitter. I've never been banned and can count the humber of times I've actually been moderated on one hand.

You just have to do it in a civil manner. That other stuff? Save that for K town and use that as your release valve when you just really feel the need to tear into something lol

I totally agree with you, but I said " spoke honestly about what I think about Russ Bullock and his previous comments", and for me that would have been too "colorful" for the Mods to ignore.

#137 At least I can shoot

• PipPipPip
  • The Star
  • The Star
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 June 2014 - 04:45 PM, said:

Well some folks don't like being told to have a nice day... Same principle.

Does not make it right they should have some description of respect other humans. And if you some one told me to "F*** off" if I said have a nice day I would tell them to go shove their bad mood where the sun don't shine.

#138 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:17 PM

View PostAt least I can shoot, on 23 June 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

Does not make it right they should have some description of respect other humans. And if you some one told me to "F*** off" if I said have a nice day I would tell them to go shove their bad mood where the sun don't shine.

You are not very Diverse then. How do you know if they don't have good reason to be in a foul mood? What if they just found out their significant other has been cheating? Or they found out that they are dying of cancer? How inconsiderate of you to be so blind to their pain!

Once about 10 years ago, I had a week where My Brother died, My Brother in Law died, My Biological Mother died, and my best buds died. How well do you think I should react to, "Have a nice day?"

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 23 June 2014 - 05:40 PM.

#139 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:33 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 June 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

Being who I am, and how I was raised as well as my service. I don't see a difference. There wasn't a single reference to skullFing, backdoor action, or glass parking lots, or gratuitous play with steaming entrails!

yes but, shouldn't someone else have the ability to NOT listen to that if they find it offensive? That's what I'm getting at. It's not a situation where anyone is suggesting a censorship of you but more of I'd like my 8 year old to get involved in the game with me but without the ability to filter out that kind of chat I don't feel it's appropriate for them. So instead of having a situation like that, being able to mute, block, filter, etc. the chat of someone they find inappropriate and/or offensive would solve the issue entirely.

View PostAt least I can shoot, on 23 June 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

under their pillow?

#140 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:38 PM

View PostSandpit, on 23 June 2014 - 05:33 PM, said:

yes but, shouldn't someone else have the ability to NOT listen to that if they find it offensive? That's what I'm getting at. It's not a situation where anyone is suggesting a censorship of you but more of I'd like my 8 year old to get involved in the game with me but without the ability to filter out that kind of chat I don't feel it's appropriate for them. So instead of having a situation like that, being able to mute, block, filter, etc. the chat of someone they find inappropriate and/or offensive would solve the issue entirely.

It is why I censor myself on the forums, and Comms until I know i have a adult audience. I wouldn't let my son play as a 13 year old... mostly because he would get quite into it with the abusive one. He smacks my nose when I get colorful.

Yes for those of weaker constitution and young impressionable minds... I would want you to be able to mute... me. Cause I do get colorful at times. ^_^

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users