64 replies to this topic

#1 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

Narc is a bit too powerful at the moment. I feel the range it can share targeting information should be lowered. Too much missile spam going on. Transmission should be like a 500m radius from the narced target.

Edited by ManDaisy, 01 July 2014 - 05:06 PM.

#2 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,568 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:07 PM

And what possible earthly good would it do at that point? Really now!

#3 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

I think it would be more appropriate to change ECM to do something like that, although I'm not counting on ECM being changed for a while because PGI seems pretty happy with how broken it is.

#4 Just wanna play

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

Narc is a hit and run version of tag, by nature, being narced is extremely dangerous, especially since somehow ecm can't stop it from broadcasting...yet tag can be blocked if tagger is in range....... In fact narc even gives the benefits of artemis with out needing los. All in aLL i think MAYBE they should reduce its duration, being an open target for artillery for half a minute is a little silly

#5 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:27 PM

View PostJust wanna play, on 01 July 2014 - 05:13 PM, said:

Narc is a hit and run version of tag, by nature, being narced is extremely dangerous, especially since somehow ecm can't stop it from broadcasting...yet tag can be blocked if tagger is in range....... In fact narc even gives the benefits of artemis with out needing los. All in aLL i think MAYBE they should reduce its duration, being an open target for artillery for half a minute is a little silly

Actually if you're in an ECM bubble then NARC stops working, although if the ECM mech is hit with NARC then it still works.

#6 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,568 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:36 PM

You also only get twelve pods per ton of ammo, can quite easily miss your shot, and generally have to expose yourself at least momentarily to hit what is essentially the slowest autocannon slug in history. Also it can get shot down by AMS if enough enemy AMS is present.

It's fine. For the first time in Creation it's actually seeing reasonable use. Leave it alone.

#7 DasaDevil

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 189 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:39 PM

Never thought I'd see a nerf narc thread, ever

#8 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:41 PM

well, no... if it was fine I wouldn't have a problem with it.

#9 crossflip

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSouth India

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:43 PM

It can be either useless or overpowered. There is no viable middle ground because people expect efficiency out of their tonnage. No one would use it if it were "balanced" because there's other, better ways to spend that tonnage.

Edited by crossflip, 01 July 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#10 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:45 PM

View Postcrossflip, on 01 July 2014 - 05:43 PM, said:

It can be either useful or overpowered. There is no viable middle ground because people expect efficiency out of their tonnage. No one would use it if it were "balanced" because there's other, better ways to spend that tonnage.

Thats assuming it has infinite transmission range. I think finding a sweet spot where it stops sending targeting information beyond a certain range will do MUCH in balancing it and keeping its power.

Edited by ManDaisy, 01 July 2014 - 05:46 PM.

#11 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,568 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

View PostManDaisy, on 01 July 2014 - 05:45 PM, said:

Thats assuming it has infinite transmission range. I think finding a sweet spot where it stops sending targeting information beyond a certain range will do MUCH in balancing it and keeping its power.

And you suggest that setting that transmission range at HALF the range of the systems it's supposed to spot for is the ticket? That requiring the LRM machines the NARC unit is spotting for to get CLOSER TO THE TARGET THAN THE NARC UNIT HAS TO is, somehow, a viable solution?

Pardon me for being dismissive, but...PFFFFFT. You have to actually be wary of NARC now, as opposed to completely ignoring it before. Don't like it? Identify enemy NARC spotters and hammer them. Also, don't get NARC'd. Also Mk. II, find/bring ECM. Also Mk. III, AMS. Sure, it requires teamplay to completely counter NARC with most of those, but you know what? It requires teamplay to make use of NARC in the first place.

#12 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

Well, if you're going to nerf it at least make it have some utility with SRMs.

It needs to be worth 3/2 tons+ammo.

#13 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,568 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 01 July 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

Well, if you're going to nerf it at least make it have some utility with SRMs.

It needs to be worth 3/2 tons+ammo.

Plus a missile hardpoint. Can't forget that it's taking up a hardpoint that might otherwise have gone towards an SRM launcher, or some more Lurmtubes.

#14 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

View PostDasaDevil, on 01 July 2014 - 05:39 PM, said:

Never thought I'd see a nerf narc thread, ever

It's actually the second one in the last week.

OP's idea definitely broke the top ten worst I've heard.

#15 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:57 PM

View PostSug, on 01 July 2014 - 05:54 PM, said:

It's actually the second one in the last week.

OP's idea definitely broke the top ten worst I've heard.
The sad thing is they're bound to get their wish sooner or later.

#16 HlynkaCG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

Nobody seems to be asking the obvious question.

In what alternate universe did NARC + LRM replace pop-tart snipers as the the overused meta-build?

#17 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

This universe ob

View PostHlynkaCG, on 01 July 2014 - 05:58 PM, said:

Nobody seems to be asking the obvious question.

In what alternate universe did NARC + LRM replace pop-tart snipers as the the overused meta-build?

This universe obviously. Just stick you head into a mid tier elo pug match and see how many missile are in the air.

Now before anyone puts any words in my mouth:

Missiles ARE FINE.

Missiles + Infinite Line of site at any range narc = NOT Fine.

Why?

Reason number 1: Narc missiles arch change causes a lot of cover to not be viable. Even behind a cliff if you narced missiles will travel at a higher arch and come down steep to go over any obstacles;

Reason number 2: Narced mechs are subjected to ALL the missiles from the enemy side. No matter what the distance.
If narc range broadcast had a limit, then only SOME of the mechs within range would have missile line of site. This translates into less missiles in the air comming at you the farther you are away. No more at 900 meters if you get narced 300+ missiles raining down. Only if your within a reasonable vicinity of missile launching mechs will 300+ missiles rain down on you.

Reason number 3: Adding a limit to narc range broadcast and let mechs outrun the narc becon... kind of. If something is narced withing 500meters of a missile launching mech that does not have line of site, then if they can run 501 meters away, they can escape the missile death storm, instead of being guaranteed a (CHEAP) death.

Reason number 4: 750 meter launcher SHOULD NOT EQUAL the narc range broadcast. Simiply there is no reason why both have to be equal. I can shoot a wifi router out of a cannon to the moon. It doesn't mean I will have wifi all the way to the damn moon.

Edited by ManDaisy, 01 July 2014 - 06:32 PM.

#18 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

The only thing NARC needs is for the NARC'ed target to have a HUD indicator telling him he's got a NARC painting a bull's eye on his mech.

Then it's perfectly fine. :ph34r:

#19 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

View PostManDaisy, on 01 July 2014 - 05:41 PM, said:

well, no... if it was fine I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Your problem is that you don't know how to take cover. 80% of the few people I am able to NARC JUST HIDE BEHIND COVER. And if you're too slow to get into cover after being NARC'd, you're obviously an Assault who should've been more careful or whose offensive rush was successfully countered. Welcome to the world of Tactics, where everything is (in theory) balanced by everything else.

Only changes I would suggest would be to the actual maps. if some of the cover was heightened, LRMs would be even less of a problem and this thread wouldn't exist. And by map changes, I mean only to a few obvious offenders such as the map in my sig and Alpine Peaks.

Edited by Pezzer, 01 July 2014 - 06:48 PM.

#20 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:36 PM

View PostManDaisy, on 01 July 2014 - 06:35 PM, said:

Ah I can already see the amount of outstanding intelligence in your response Pezzer.

Good to hear.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users