Charlie Is All Alone

64 replies to this topic

#1 Gayang3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

I mostly run an Atlas DDC with ECM and more often than not I end up on Charlie lance at some godforsaken corner on the map(Sigh).

But that's not what really makes me mad. Its Alpha and Bravo running away without grouping up. 2 things happen after that, 1)they meet a well organized enemy and get decimated 8 vs 12 2)a bunch of enemy lights come up behind us (charlie) and shred me and my lance to pieces and then Alpha and Bravo get decimated 8 vs 12.

It does not end well!

If only Alpha and Bravo waited for my lance, I could have given ECM to everyone and dealt a good amount of damage to the bad guys, the other 3 mechs in my lance could have also contributed. But nopes, most of the time that's not what happens.

Now THAT'S what really grinds my gears.

Posted Image

End of rant :unsure:

#2 Hellcat420

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

this wont change as long as damage and kills are the primary income.

#3 DAYLEET

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

The old Spawn system was so much better, because if lance setup works in TT id does not in a fps. With the old system the team could readily split in half if you wanted to, you could have lights band together without leaving a guy alone to try and join the other lances. The more youre going to try and force table top roleplaying in fps youre going to end up with a poor system. With the old spawn setup you had a choice of flanking on the side you wanted with people filling in where they thought they were needed.

Edited by DAYLEET, 07 July 2014 - 09:18 AM.

#4 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:22 AM

View PostHellcat420, on 07 July 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

that is also what contributes to the following phenomenon:

10 blue v 10 red, battle is on

suddenly, a single light from the red team shows up on radar behind blue team

9 mechs from blue team, turn their backs on the main enemy force to chase the squirrel, hoping to get the "easy" kill

as soon as blue turns their backs, red pushes, firing at the thin, squishy, delicious rear armor of the blue team

game ends 2 minutes later in a 12-1 ROFLstomp

#5 Andross Deverow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 458 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:24 AM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 07 July 2014 - 09:22 AM, said:

9 mechs from blue team, turn their backs on the main enemy force to chase the squirrel, hoping to get the "easy" kill

as soon as blue turns their backs, red pushes, firing at the thin, squishy, delicious rear armor of the blue team

This has the ring of truthings... lol

Regards

#6 Gayang3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

View PostHellcat420, on 07 July 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

How so? Don't Alpha/Bravo know that with screenshake and crit damage that anytime you are going against a larger number of enemies that your chances of actually killing someone goes down exponentially?

#7 JonahGrimm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:40 AM

Running with C4 yesterday? WE /abused/ this. Twice, in my little NARCy Jenner, I squirreled into the enemy pile, only to have 10+! mechs turn and try to kill me.

In the thirty or forty seconds it took for them to do that? We went up 5-1 -- and I was the one. It wasn't long until we were in mop-up operations. Sure, my K/D took a (minor) hit, but darned if it wasn't terribly funny. :D

#8 Zypher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 418 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:43 AM

I have the solution, in game comms...oh wait, I think someone said that before.

#9 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:44 AM

View PostJonahGrimm, on 07 July 2014 - 09:40 AM, said:

Running with C4 yesterday? WE /abused/ this. Twice, in my little NARCy Jenner, I squirreled into the enemy pile, only to have 10+! mechs turn and try to kill me.

In the thirty or forty seconds it took for them to do that? We went up 5-1 -- and I was the one. It wasn't long until we were in mop-up operations. Sure, my K/D took a (minor) hit, but darned if it wasn't terribly funny. :D

funny...unless you're the one mech that doesn't turn to chase... :D

#10 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:45 AM

View PostGayang3, on 07 July 2014 - 09:25 AM, said:

How so? Don't Alpha/Bravo know that with screenshake and crit damage that anytime you are going against a larger number of enemies that your chances of actually killing someone goes down exponentially?

the reason it happens is because people want to start shooting the other team as soon as possible, because that is what gives the most potential damage/income.

#11 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

One of the Alpha spawn points on Tourmeline is a bigger problem.

If you spawn there in a slow Mech, you cannot regroup with the other two lances before coming under heavy enemy LRM, PPC and LL fire. If you're in a Dire Whale, you will have lost an entire side torso by the time you make it to cover.

#12 The Blood God

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 233 posts
  • Locationchester england

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:57 AM

View PostGayang3, on 07 July 2014 - 09:25 AM, said:

generally no they dont

#13 The Blood God

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 233 posts
  • Locationchester england

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:11 AM

View PostZypher, on 07 July 2014 - 09:43 AM, said:

I have the solution, in game comms...oh wait, I think someone said that before.

forgive the language i'm about to use but you have a wonderful point if your playing an FPS on a console like the X-station or play box on one of those popular killing games like call of the field or battle duty, as soon as your in lobby all your team mates can hear you and you can hear them unless you mute each other this would be an amazing improvement to the game even if you dont have a head set you could still listen to whats going on instaed of stopping to type an important message, and as long as they dont use the those very important map designers to do it because thats the other thing the game needs more maps lots more maps

#14 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:13 AM

Especially with groups 5-10 split over widely spread lances, spawn points need to be re-tightened.

#15 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:16 AM

that is also what contributes to the following phenomenon: 10 blue v 10 red, battle is on suddenly, a single light from the red team shows up on radar behind blue team 9 mechs from blue team, turn their backs on the main enemy force to chase the squirrel, hoping to get the "easy" kill as soon as blue turns their backs, red pushes, firing at the thin, squishy, delicious rear armor of the blue team game ends 2 minutes later in a 12-1 ROFLstomp

And people QQ about LRMs in the forums as the result.

#16 Octantis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 129 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

GaYang,

I see that all the time. The place where I see it make the biggest difference is River City Night. That charlie lance having to cross open water to catch up to those at the Citadel who are moving away. Just asking to get murdered.

If I'm in my Raven 3L I try to ferry them into the group but a lot of times the group is long gone.

Before the game starts I would recommend saying you are a DW in Charlie and that you can't keep up. If they proceed to run off and die your conscience is clear. Sure your W/L and KDR might take a hit but at least you dine on your own teams QQ tears.

#17 Ragnar Darkmane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 459 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:23 AM

The odd lance just going in solo and ending up in a 4 vs 12 fight is (sadly) just as common. A 2 man handicap (like 2 discons or trial mechs) is usually a major when it comes to deciding the battle before it even begins. Once your team goes 0:4 though you'll definitely lose unless you have a godmode players on your side (which almost never happens)...

We all know that lance going solo on Alpine Peaks and getting stuck between the enemy turrets and the whole red team...

#18 Solahma

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNerv HQ, Tokyo-3

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

View PostOctantis, on 07 July 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:

Before the game starts I would recommend saying you are a DW in Charlie and that you can't keep up. If they proceed to run off and die your conscience is clear. Sure your W/L and KDR might take a hit but at least you dine on your own teams QQ tears.

Very good suggestion. I'll be the first to say that I should do this more often. Communication goes a long way.

#19 Reitrix

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

View PostJonahGrimm, on 07 July 2014 - 09:40 AM, said:

I like to do that in my speedier lights. One of the best times was in my TDK on Mordor, tied up almost the entire enemy team for a full 3 minutes weaving in between them all fouling their shots for fear of friendly fire, until thier Raven came back and started Streaking me :/

Worst part? My team screamed abuse at me for suicide rushing and "being bad" while hiding behind the next ridge over from the enemy literally 300 meters away not even bothering to come out and start firing into the disorganized mass i created with my stunt driving.
Amusingly, the enemy team eventually just gave up trying to kill and me, turned their backs on me and then mowed down my entire cowardly team before coming back to finish me off.

#20 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Here's the thing

You're blaming spawn points and mm for poor teamwork. While I sympathize this isn't that can really be regulated nor should it be.

My teammates almost always move to link up with the rest of the team when we move out.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users