Clan Invasion = Pay To Win?

301 replies to this topic

#61 Kutfroat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 228 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

just look at it from a company point of view. of course they are op, not obviously op to brake the game, but just enough to make people want them and pgi sells them - easy. the op part about them is their high mobility and surviveability (especially of the heavies) combined with the firepower. some say the kitfox is a bad mech...it´s the only clanmech i bought and i tell you, after 2x basics, with ecm, 1 erppc and 2 med pulse lasers or 2 erlages, it´s one of the best lights. sure, is-light mechs are faster, but you got to play it different, and the still relatively high mobility in combination with the high firepower is close to op (in pugs). my firebrand (stock loadout) and thunderbolts feel just useless and underpowered when facing a team with many clan mechs. and yes, i know, the direwolf is slow, but it compensates it with sheer firepower. so it´s simple, pgi wants to sell them now for real Money, if they wouldn´t be better, no one would want them. it´s just pure capitalistic logic that they are better than the "is" mechs. this might change as soon as they are available for cbills (nerfs). sorry for wall of text, can´t make paragraphs in this forum. :)

Edited by Kutfroat, 19 July 2014 - 03:02 PM.

#62 SprechenSieSexy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:28 PM

View PostDead Funny, on 19 July 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

pay to win, Yes ( on about 4 of the Clan Mech's).

I have some Clan Mech's and I can kill any IS Mech in less that 15'secs. Most take about 5 secs. It is funny for me, but did cost me. Even 2 v 1 is easy. I have only had this setup for 1 full day and I have already had a 6 kill match. and have only been playing for a week this year. If you get a setup that fits with your play stile (a lot easier on Clan, because of all the weapons hard point options/swap) its fun.

If you see me, your already dead. Boom. :)

PS. I think all IS Mech's need a 30% armor buff. i.e IS= more of a Tank, and CLAN = more DPS.

If IS gets a buff to armor, then people that did the P2W business will get mad.
It's P2W.

#63 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:31 PM

View Postoccusoj, on 19 July 2014 - 12:46 PM, said:

I wish I could like Mischiefs post a hundred times, but unfortunately it only works once.

Imagin the rant and hatred of those who bought them if Clan mechs were absolutely equal in performance or even slightly worse than IS. They have to be superior by some margin, who pays matters - the rest doesnt as long as its a sufficiently large group to provide enought cannonfodder and keep the game alive for those paying ones that are not into competitive play and just want to stomp some mechs.

Either you buy or you get sold.

You just don't get it do you?

Here are most of the reasons to buy the Clan mechs:

1 - We have been waiting for the Clans since day one and now they are here.

2 - PGI in its infinite wisdom decides to make it so to have a Clan mech, you have to pay or wait an ungodly 2-6 months to be able to play one.

3 - Prime versions get a 30% bonus to XP and Credits making them basically a hero mech and people buy hero mechs ALL THE TIME.

4 - Clan mech are going to have huge C-bills costs associated with them so Instead of having to grind a couple hundred million C-bills, you can avoid this by purchasing them for cash.

5 - By purchasing them early, you get exclusive access to them for 2-6 months plus potentially a bunch of toys like Warhorns.

So there you go, 5 very legitimate reasons to buy Clan mechs and not a one of them has anything to do with any sort of P2W reason for buying. Sorry but your wrong.

Edited by Viktor Drake, 19 July 2014 - 02:31 PM.

#64 occusoj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 452 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:49 PM

You just don't get it do you?

Ok, so the jumping Timberwolf has absolutely no advantage over IS heavies, the stormcrow isnt more powerful then IS mediums, Clan XL engines arent anywhere near superior to IS ones, Clan builds can be duplicated in terms of firepower and durability by IS mechs and everyone spent money just for early access and bling. Now I got it, dont I?

Of course people buy heroes. Its not like the Misery for example has any advantage over regular Stalkers, its just the paint, the name and the harpoint to mount a gauss or AC20. There you see, I had gotten it wrong again.
Same with the Muromets or Jester, cool names and paint , hardpoints and JJs.

edit: With some people Im wrong for sure, they really just bought the early access. Nevertheless, they got the additional power. Not game breakingly bad, but still there.
And if you really dont care about that, just mount less weapons and/or armor :)

Edited by occusoj, 19 July 2014 - 02:54 PM.

#65 Scraith Rukyr

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

Posted Image

#66 BoomDog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

View PostDuppie1974, on 19 July 2014 - 01:49 PM, said:

So going by your well thought out post, my Founders mechs, Phoenix mechs and every Hero mech that I own should provide me with an advantage, which currently they don't.
Or does this just go for the Clan packs?

Lol, you beat me to it. Lots of people piloting IS mechs have dumped lots of money into this game. Where's their advantage?

#67 Kutfroat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 228 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:01 PM

View PostBoomDog, on 19 July 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

Lol, you beat me to it. Lots of people piloting IS mechs have dumped lots of money into this game. Where's their advantage?

powercreep just "killed" it. wargaming did it with premium tanks, pgi does it with hero mechs. no need to buy the new ones if the old ones would be as good. don´t like it? me neither, but i realized it during my time playing wot. a company allwas says "A" and does "B"...the question is how many they can fool for how long.

#68 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:02 PM

AC20, AC10, AC5 laser burns standard engine assault and heavies.

#69 BoomDog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

The whole "Clan is OP" thing was accurately determined by PGI yesterday when they quietly had the MM set up Clan vs. IS matches, then quickly shut it down.

Everyone wants Clan vs. IS. They obviously can do it. So why would they shut it down so quick?

The only explanation is that it wasn't balanced. So either 1: IS mechs are OP. Or 2: Clan mechs are OP.

We'll know the answer when the nerf bat comes swinging.

View PostYokaiko, on 19 July 2014 - 03:02 PM, said:

AC20, AC10, AC5 laser burns standard engine assault and heavies.

That's not pay to win, any IS mech can own them.

#70 badaa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

no p2w

#71 MonkeyCheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

Oh look another tears thread. Just wait.

There is a reason the release schedule for cbill clan mechs is so drawn out, it is because they are EXPENSIVE. SO SAVE CBILLS NOW

If they came out tomorrow we would just see threads titled "QQ clan mechs are too expensive I cant afford"...

Edited by MonkeyCheese, 19 July 2014 - 03:21 PM.

#72 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:22 PM

Clan invasion? - Didn't happen.
Clan are P2W? - I'd say no seeing as i regularly kill them in my stock IS mechs.

#73 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

FLD ACs, with the exception of the ERML, more concentrated laser damage. 10 heat PPCs, ability to adjust engine size for moar dakka.

LRMs that are not neutered by AMS.

Lights that can travel more than 110.

The ability to remove 20 armour with a single weapon.

#74 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:27 PM

No, those aren't really advantages since anyone can buy those mechs and drive them.

#75 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:29 PM

View PostRoland, on 19 July 2014 - 03:27 PM, said:

No, those aren't really advantages since anyone can buy those mechs and drive them.

Pay to play early is not the same as pay to win.

#76 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

View PostRoland, on 19 July 2014 - 03:27 PM, said:

And yet are they not advantages over the Clan mechs?

What are we trying to say here?

#77 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:31 PM

View PostWolfways, on 19 July 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

Pay to play early is not the same as pay to win.

Actually it is exactly that.
Paying for an advantage is pay to win, even if it is temporary.

It's just temporarily pay to win.

#78 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

View PostRoland, on 19 July 2014 - 03:31 PM, said:

Actually it is exactly that.
Paying for an advantage is pay to win, even if it is temporary.

It's just temporarily pay to win.

So is playing in a closed beta F2W? I mean, if I'm using things others cannot yet...
Or maybe because i didn't buy a founders package i was somehow "weaker" than the founder players? No.

Anyway, the question is answered. clan are not stronger than IS, so they aren't P2W.

#79 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

I am a firm believer of IS mechs are superior to Clan mechs. Not by a small margins, but a great margin.

I own the timber wolf ah la carte. Mastered.

It definatelly performs worse then my IS mechs. I am by no means a good player, I'm more of an average player at best. But ever since the clan packs came out, my score have skyrocketed. Killing clan mechs are much much easier then IS mechs, and I love taking advantage of it.

Lets start off with the big boy, the dire wolf. Man those things turn slow, it's hilarious. And their center torsos are easier to hit then the Awesome. I find those my favorite snack in any of my mechs. They always have to show their front to me, because that's how clan weapons work. Sure I might loose an arm while fighting them with my atlas, but I still come up ahead. Yes I said atlas, my atlas out maneuvers a mech finally!

Warhawk? Those turn better then the dire wolf, but they seem to run hotter, and their burn time on lasers take a long time to do their damage. I just shield, and Spread their damage all over my armor, and then pinpoint the. To death just like their direwolf brethren.

Moving on, the timber wolf, (which is probably the best clan mech in my opinion- opinions may vary). They are strong, and can field c-gauss 2x c-erppc (that's what mine does at least) but their heat is off the charts high, so they can only alpha so many times, before they have to worry about over heating. I'd rather just field 2x gauss + ppc, and that's what makes IS mechs in the heavy bracket superior. Summonses are even easier to kill because their jumpjets are hard wired in, so they must carry even less armorment.

Mediums, ok I have no idea here which mechs are medium, but everything smaller then a timber wolf are very slow, so they are really easy to hit, but don't have the armor values to take punishment.

The only clan mech I fear in the battle field is the nova, because if they magically flank me, their alpha can hurt really bad. So map awareness is need led a lot more then it used to be. Either way, I used to struggle getting a kill per game, and now I easily get 1-4 kills per game.

Just don't try to have face to face dps races with clan mechs, because they will win. Front load your damage and learn to shield, and you will find that clan mechs are NOT P2W. They are pay to be stylish though. I still play my timber wolf more then I play my IS mechs, but that's because I loved them since I was a kid. But when I want to pad my stats, I jump I to my IS mechs and go on a killing spree.

#80 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:42 PM

View PostWolfways, on 19 July 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

So is playing in a closed beta F2W? I mean, if I'm using things others cannot yet...
Or maybe because i didn't buy a founders package i was somehow "weaker" than the founder players? No.

Anyway, the question is answered. clan are not stronger than IS, so they aren't P2W.

When you are playing in a closed beta you aren't competing against people who are not in the closed beta. Derp.

Some of the clan mechs most certainly are stronger than their IS counterparts.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users