Clan Invasion = Pay To Win?

301 replies to this topic

#101 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

View PostRoland, on 19 July 2014 - 04:41 PM, said:

I think I would tend to agree with this. Even with the TW being the best heavy in the game, this in itself is not indicative of a problem. Some heavy chassis is going to be the best in the game.

However, when the best chassis is behind a payway, then that makes it P2W.

Yet there is no "best". It's all opinions. Nearly everyone says the Locust sucks, yet about a week ago i watched Errodian do very well in it.

And I've done it in a Timberwolf. I've killed half the enemy team by myself with it. That in itself is not the minimum threshold for identifying an advantage though.

A mech can constitute an advantage even if it can't guarantee a victory for the pilot.

Which is totally dependent on the build and the way it is played. A Timber Wolf cannot equip weapons for all situations in a single match. It may be versatile (according to some) but to me that doesn't make it OP...not that i'd exactly call it versatile either because of the limited customization.

#102 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:59 PM

Yet there is no "best". It's all opinions. Nearly everyone says the Locust sucks, yet about a week ago i watched Errodian do very well in it.

You're just trying to handwave away the issue at this point.

#103 bluepiglet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:59 PM

View PostWolfways, on 19 July 2014 - 04:52 PM, said:

Which is totally dependent on the build and the way it is played. A Timber Wolf cannot equip weapons for all situations in a single match. It may be versatile (according to some) but to me that doesn't make it OP...not that i'd exactly call it versatile either because of the limited customization.

TBR is not limited, its optimised, its faster than the top speed of any 65 tons IS mech, while it can carry more weapons than them at the same time. Firepower, durability and mobility it has all and it makes it outclass any other existing heavy meches. Don't think "overpowered" is a more proper word than "versatile" to describe it?

#104 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

Timber wolf is the only one I would even consider P2W (since you can't buy it with cbills)

to me it is in a class of its own and it can rule the battlefield. so fast and maneuverable and the amount of weapons it can carry is just crazy at times and they seem to take a huge beating and just keep on going. they are like the only heavy/assault I truly fear.

#105 Jetfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 19 July 2014 - 11:16 AM, said:

Besides. We paid money to PGI for these mechs and this stuff. Don't we DESERVE an ADVANTAGE?!?

Honest answer, No. We deserve early access to content, not access to P2W. I get no joy from playing a game that you have to throw money at to do well. I have quit numerous games because this was true and it just made me hate playing it.

Clan content is very well balanced and the overall power level is no higher than IS mechs. They play very differently but I still play and love my IS with just as much success.

Edited by Jetfire, 19 July 2014 - 05:55 PM.

#106 Crockdaddy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

View PostLorgarn, on 19 July 2014 - 05:56 AM, said:

So I am back after a long break being frustrated with the matchmaking. I always liked, that real money does not give you better stuff. It just saved you time and gave visual things like the aperance of your mech or stuff in you cocpit.

Now I am virtually the only one without a clanmech. I still get creamed away in every match and shot in the face very hard and the clan machines lead the score really high.

So we have change to Pay to Win now? Please explain how this contrebutes to the ALREADY very bad machtmaking / balancing in this game.

Regards
Lorgarn

If it helps, Brawler Atlas do pretty damn well against Clan mechs ... as does certain Jump Jet IS mechs (well they used too before the most recent nerf). You have to play to the IS strength which is greater Pin Point Focus fire.

#107 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:00 PM

View PostCrockdaddyAoD, on 19 July 2014 - 05:53 PM, said:

If it helps, Brawler Atlas do pretty damn well against Clan mechs ... as does certain Jump Jet IS mechs (well they used too before the most recent nerf). You have to play to the IS strength which is greater Pin Point Focus fire.

Agreed.

Boar's Head with 2 Tags, 4 LPL, good standard engine.
Pwn the Clan mechs at their own laser game. Every arm deals 21.2 damage. You can pump out a second shot from each arm in 3.85 seconds.

Lets say a fight lasts between 8 and 9 seconds.
0 seconds: 21.2 damage
0.5 seconds: 21.2 damage
3.85 seconds: 21.2 damage
4.35 seconds: 21.2 damage
7.7 seconds: 21.2 damage
8.2 seconds: 21.2 damage.

3 firings per arm. 127.2 damage.
(In that same time, 2 AC/20s for the same tonnage = 120 damage in 8.0 seconds and you won't get it nearly as pinpoint due to ghost heat and heat retention [making it worse each time you fire without letting off for longer than the reload]).

Posted Image

IS LPLs deal damage almost equal to Clan ER Large Lasers, but in a bit less than half the time and for less heat.

The tags do a few things: 1) they inform you if you will be able to hit the target [no shots wasted on invisible walls].
2) They inform your allies which mech you are fighting (Tag reticule? FIRE THE LRMS! Make it rain!).
3) They inform anyone that can see you engaging the enemy exactly where they should be firing. (See red dot on left torso? Aim for the left torso to kill it faster).

But most of all, 4) if you trace TAGs over the cockpit window of a Clan mech, you will almost always get a reaction of looking away even if you don't fire. Their cockpits are huge and easy to hit.

Two back to back volleys of 2 LPLs each will instantly kill any Clan mech. Thus if the perfect opportunity comes up it's worth the alpha strike. 1 shot of 4 IS LPLs = instant death on Any Clan Mech. And the ghost heat is MUCH less than twin AC/20.

Without the tags, you can replicate this in an Atlas RS; the best Atlas.

Edited by Koniving, 19 July 2014 - 06:10 PM.

#108 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

View Postoccusoj, on 19 July 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

Ok, so the jumping Timberwolf has absolutely no advantage over IS heavies, the stormcrow isnt more powerful then IS mediums, Clan XL engines arent anywhere near superior to IS ones, Clan builds can be duplicated in terms of firepower and durability by IS mechs and everyone spent money just for early access and bling. Now I got it, dont I?

Of course people buy heroes. Its not like the Misery for example has any advantage over regular Stalkers, its just the paint, the name and the harpoint to mount a gauss or AC20. There you see, I had gotten it wrong again.
Same with the Muromets or Jester, cool names and paint , hardpoints and JJs.

edit: With some people Im wrong for sure, they really just bought the early access. Nevertheless, they got the additional power. Not game breakingly bad, but still there.
And if you really dont care about that, just mount less weapons and/or armor :(

Well I am actually glad to see your actually understanding what is really going on instead of continuing with your belief that Clans are OPed.

You are absolutely right, the Jumping TW doesn't really bring much more to the table than IS heavies. My CTF can pretty much put up the same numbers as a TW in fact. As far as firepower, my CTF-3D is currently mounting 27 tons of weapons not counting JJs so pretty close in terms of firepower too. Granted I can't boat up missiles but it matches pretty good to TWs that opt for Energy/Ballastic builds. My CTF also has slightly better Hitboxes than my TW too because everything and I mean everything seems to go straight for my CT on my TW.

Now back to seriousness. You list all the advantages of Clan Mechs but none of the disadvantages, disadvantages that many have posted over and over again. In fact you don't even acknowledge these disadvantages exist because to do so means you lose most of the strength of your position.

The 5 reasons I posted are absolutely why the vast majority of people pre-ordered Clan mechs. For me is was because I was bored, had some extra cash, didn't want to wait 4-5 months to get the mechs I wanted and didn't want to deal with the stress of having to grind day in and day out to make sure I had enough C-bills to purchase the Clan mechs when they did final release for C-bills. P2W didn't even cross my mind. Hell I was paranoid as hell that I was going to spend all that money and find out they sucked.

#109 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:15 PM

View Postoccusoj, on 19 July 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

Ok, so the jumping Timberwolf has absolutely no advantage over IS heavies, the stormcrow isnt more powerful then IS mediums, Clan XL engines arent anywhere near superior to IS ones, Clan builds can be duplicated in terms of firepower and durability by IS mechs and everyone spent money just for early access and bling. Now I got it, dont I?

Of course people buy heroes. Its not like the Misery for example has any advantage over regular Stalkers, its just the paint, the name and the harpoint to mount a gauss or AC20. There you see, I had gotten it wrong again.
Same with the Muromets or Jester, cool names and paint , hardpoints and JJs.

edit: With some people Im wrong for sure, they really just bought the early access. Nevertheless, they got the additional power. Not game breakingly bad, but still there.
And if you really dont care about that, just mount less weapons and/or armor :(

Shhhhh.... nobody tell him about the Atlas, Jagermech or Quickdraw etc etc mechs that can pull off the same builds as the hero's but do it even better, did it first and cost only Cbills.

Edited by Jetfire, 19 July 2014 - 06:15 PM.

#110 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

View PostCrockdaddyAoD, on 19 July 2014 - 05:53 PM, said:

Brawler Atlas aren't exactly pin point. The AC is, but the missiles are spray and pray......hopefully while chest bumping.

#111 BARBAR0SSA

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:34 PM

So when clan mechs are for Cbills will these god damn threads stop, it's NOT P2W if you can have the exact same stuff for free, it's just a few months away, but clans will never be exclusive. Now shut up and just wait, all clan mechs are right now, are pay to play a hell of a lot less in the future.

Yes they are powerful, I ran my orion and got about 700 DMG, timber I can do better more often.

Edited by shad0w4life, 19 July 2014 - 06:45 PM.

#112 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:37 PM

View PostKoniving, on 19 July 2014 - 06:00 PM, said:

IS LPLs deal damage almost equal to Clan ER Large Lasers, but in a bit less than half the time and for less heat.

They also weigh 3 tons more, take up twice as many critical slots, and have only 39% of the range.

#113 Thunderfrog

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Participant
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:57 PM

View PostDirkdaring, on 19 July 2014 - 06:31 AM, said:

I don't have a clan mech. I do fine. L2P.

Posted Image

Great! You did middling damage in a DPS monster mech and out-clanned the other team.

You've certainly proved us all wrong with your sample size of 1.

I don't care which is free or not. I just don't want the game to turn into Clantech: Join or Lose.

#114 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:32 PM

It is revolting and despicable that people here openly champion and attest to buying advantage.
It is disgusting.

View Postjozkhan, on 19 July 2014 - 04:52 PM, said:

As with many MMOs and online games, new pay only items are often released in OP state, to encorage sales of said items and then gently nerf cycled in favor of the next new items. It's a business model which anyone who plays games like League of Legends knows very well. Heck it's not even the first time it's happened in MWO. You can be sure a significant amount of the clan sales have been since they were released into the game with players saying 'well if you cant beat them, join them'

Umm. no. F2P done correctly offers convenience and luxury for cash, NOT advantage.
As for the people that seem to think that xp boosts are advantage on the battlefield, kindly stop dribbling on your desk and think.

MWO already has this functionality ith colours, camos, cockpit items and xp and cbill boosts. Contrary to what some of the deplorable people in this thread are saying, people like myself HAVE paid for this game. I have spent 60 dollars and own the Jester. I purchased the jester to get the cbill bonus and nothing more.
If pricing wasnt so utterly rediculous I might spend a lot more.

View PostRager Beater, on 19 July 2014 - 01:43 PM, said:

your a pure and simple definition of dumbass, you and all others who think like you.

MAKIN A ****** GAME IS NOT FREE IN THIS WORLD, YOU NEED MONEY, AND PEOPLE WHO WORK HARD FOR THEIR MONEY DECIDED TO SUPORT THIS. WHAT KIND OF WORLD DO YOU THINK WE LIVE IN? ******* WONDERLAND? IF YOUR TOO LAZY TO GET SOME MONEY TO GET A SLIGHT ADVANTAGE THEN GO BACK TO PLAYING WOT OR COD.

besides... PILOTS influence 90% OF YOUR SCORE, SERVER, PC AND INTERNET PERFORMANCE INFLUENCE LIKE 1 OR 2%, AND THE MECHS ITSELF INFLUENCE 9-8%.

SO EITHER GET A JOB OR STAY IN YOUR PARENTS BASEMENT AND GO PLAY COD

This is a revolting post and attitude.

Edited by Axeface, 19 July 2014 - 07:34 PM.

#115 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:22 PM

View PostKoniving, on 19 July 2014 - 06:00 PM, said:

Agreed.

Boar's Head with 2 Tags, 4 LPL, good standard engine.
Pwn the Clan mechs at their own laser game. Every arm deals 21.2 damage. You can pump out a second shot from each arm in 3.85 seconds.

Lets say a fight lasts between 8 and 9 seconds.
0 seconds: 21.2 damage
0.5 seconds: 21.2 damage
3.85 seconds: 21.2 damage
4.35 seconds: 21.2 damage
7.7 seconds: 21.2 damage
8.2 seconds: 21.2 damage.

3 firings per arm. 127.2 damage.
(In that same time, 2 AC/20s for the same tonnage = 120 damage in 8.0 seconds and you won't get it nearly as pinpoint due to ghost heat and heat retention [making it worse each time you fire without letting off for longer than the reload]).

Posted Image

The tags do a few things: 1) they inform you if you will be able to hit the target [no shots wasted on invisible walls].
2) They inform your allies which mech you are fighting (Tag reticule? FIRE THE LRMS! Make it rain!).
3) They inform anyone that can see you engaging the enemy exactly where they should be firing. (See red dot on left torso? Aim for the left torso to kill it faster).

But most of all, 4) if you trace TAGs over the cockpit window of a Clan mech, you will almost always get a reaction of looking away even if you don't fire. Their cockpits are huge and easy to hit.

Two back to back volleys of 2 LPLs each will instantly kill any Clan mech. Thus if the perfect opportunity comes up it's worth the alpha strike. 1 shot of 4 IS LPLs = instant death on Any Clan Mech. And the ghost heat is MUCH less than twin AC/20.

Without the tags, you can replicate this in an Atlas RS; the best Atlas.

Did you know I can make that exact same build with my TWolf - but with JJs and moving 90kph - and clan LPLs, that have slightly longer burn time but way more range? I can also mount more DHS to take the heat better since Clan TAG weighs less.

Generally though I get by better with the UAC20 (which has a DPS of 10 with double-taps - like having 3AC5s for 12 tons) and 2xERLL (more damage than LPLs and almost triple the range, but again longer burn time), JJs and nearly heat-neutral.

I'm unfortunately not surprised at how many people didn't realize the last part of my post was intended to be sarcastic - which is, in itself, ironic.

If paying money in the game provides you an advantage - any advantage at all -, you're skirting P2W. All the Clan Mechs did was cut that about as close as possible without being totally obvious.

My opinion? Release all Clan mechs for C-Bills on Tuesday. Give everyone who bought Clan Mechs an extra 60 days of Premium Time to make up for it, maybe a paint color or even extra paint scheme or something.

I'm all for people getting value from the money they spend - I absolutely no question believe PGI deserves paid for the work they do too.

Extended periods of exclusivity are absolutely toxic to a multiplayer game however. Same with Hero mechs. Sell Hero paint-jobs instead, or even similar to the current Clan/Phoenix concepts sell the primary variant with a 30% cbill/XP boost and a unique paint scheme.

Don't mess with hardpoint layouts/JJs/etc. that are only available for money. It will inevitably create an issue. Don't mess with months of exclusive access - it'll make everyone else bitter and those who do get it will feel a bit let down when that time expires, especially when they start losing to people who just bought it for c-bills.

Keep exclusivity to 2 weeks max or for paints and cammo and decorations. Sell bundles (like the last ones) more on the value they give and 2 weeks access plus premium time, paint, etc. that add value someone might not have bought stand-alone but will equate into the value of the package when picked up together. Sell primary variants with cbill/xp bonus.

This keeps the community in harmony with each other and with PGI while still providing revenue.

And figure out the damn decals for mechs. We'll beat you with money for those - Rank markings for Houses and Clans, kill-counters and let people win unique decals in tournaments that require you to have premium time running to play in - people don't buy gold mechs for anything but status. People don't value early access for anything but status and a lack of patience. 2 weeks early access will do that just as well, as will unique decals.

Are Clan mechs P2W?

Yes. Absolutely. A tiny bit but yes. Like the DS is. Especially given the 5 months of exclusivity for the Timber Wolf. By the time it's out for cbills the nerfs will be in and something new will be out for cash. That's not cool and it'll breed discontent over time.

There's a reason this sort of toxic business practice got abandoned by WoT and the other prior grand offenders of P2W. Don't poison your own well. The Clan mechs are awesome - people should get to enjoy them more and not view them as a haves vs have-nots. Money should never, EVER equal any advantage. A bit less grind time, a little early access, a pretty hat and a new dress is alright. Advantage, exclusivity for months? We're a divisive enough community as it is. Spraying us with lighter fluid and shooting fireworks at us isn't helping.

That aside... The Clan mechs and their weapons are brilliant in design and balance overall. They look, handle, *feel* good. They make me want my IS mechs refreshed. They make me content to spend money with PGI for the experience I'm getting. I just really, really don't like this current model and the direction it's going.

Edited by MischiefSC, 19 July 2014 - 08:23 PM.

#116 Mcgral18

• CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 19 July 2014 - 08:22 PM, said:

Did you know I can make that exact same build with my TWolf - but with JJs and moving 90kph - and clan LPLs, that have slightly longer burn time but way more range? I can also mount more DHS to take the heat better since Clan TAG weighs less.

*Slightly longer* meaning more than double.

Less than 6 damage in the time the isLPL deals over 10.

Edited by Mcgral18, 19 July 2014 - 09:16 PM.

#117 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:39 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 19 July 2014 - 09:14 PM, said:

*Slightly longer* meaning more than double.

Less than 6 damage in the time the isLPL deals over 10.

Wow, just looked at the Clan LPL. It's... it's absolutely terrible. Bordering on absurd. Gives you the feeling they're trying to make fun of people. 'Pfft, lets see if anyone is stupid enough to use this'.

2ERLLs and 1 UAC20 though has the same range brawling (and, of course, nearly 3x the range with the lasers) for a DPS of about 15, vs the LPLs putting out 11.5.

I would absolutely and without question take my TW with either an SRM build ( 76pt alpha) or my UAC/ERLL build. They have a DPS of ~20 and ~15, respectively, in short bursts. Even if the Boars Head build has a bit more heat stamina they're putting out 50-100% more damage, way more maneuverable too.

Also 25 tons lighter.

This is significant when we discuss the relative power of the TWolf. It's like saying a Catapult can beat a Highlander - consistently. Even a Cent vs an Orion or Cataphract. It can handle anything within 20 tons either direction pretty handily, a bit more with the right build.

That's an advantage. Currently only available for cash. 5 months is a long time; this game will have changed measurably over that timeframe.

Not cool.

#118 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:49 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 19 July 2014 - 10:39 PM, said:

That's an advantage. Currently only available for cash. 5 months is a long time; this game will have changed measurably over that timeframe.

Not cool.

You are right the Nerfinator and Co and do a LOT more damage over 5 months.

#119 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:51 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 19 July 2014 - 10:49 PM, said:

You are right the Nerfinator and Co and do a LOT more damage over 5 months.

Don't remind me.

Clan mechs do NOT really need nerfed.

IS mechs need drubbed over with the buff-bat.

#120 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:53 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 19 July 2014 - 10:51 PM, said:

Don't remind me.

Clan mechs do NOT really need nerfed.

IS mechs need drubbed over with the buff-bat.

They've needed that for years.

Awesome, Dragon?

Actaully restoring the weapons to TT heat and removing engine limits would go a LONG way.

**** engine limits, they are ****.

23 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users