News! New Mech For August Is....

170 replies to this topic

#121 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:26 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 August 2014 - 07:20 AM, said:

thanks. We clash often, so it actually means a bit more, coming from ya. For reasons not fully understood even by myself, the Assassin has always been a personal favorite.

I would kill to get the Assassin and the Vulcan to add to my Medium Mech stable.

No love for the Clint? Was always a surprisingly effective 'mech in my scout lances...

#122 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:27 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 31 July 2014 - 09:37 PM, said:

Esactly. With the Assassin and its speed I used to hit and run like hell (MASC installed).

I wish next IS medium weren't another slow medium; we've already got them.

I don't have an issue with the Vindicator (though I used to be vociferously opposed to it's usefulness.... and I still think it a lame duck for standard play), but admit I am totally biased, as trooper mechs are GREAT in Stock Mech Matches, actually.

That said, I LOVE the Assassin. My worry is that they will give it Medium mech gigantism, when to succeed, it needs to be pretty close to the Ember in Size. And like the Cicada, it would probably need ECM to really shine. But even without, as long as it got decent hardpoint inflation (2 missiles per torso, 3 energy in the RA) I could see a lot of fun.

Gimme 140 kph, jumping 4x SSRM2, 3 laser Assassin!!!!

(I think my love affair came to a mix of two things, the old miniature was one of the better cast ones from Ral Partha, and in MW2, I would build mine to pack 2 LRM5, 2 Mlaser, and I could backpedal fast enough to stay out of weapon range of enemy Assaults, but they would keep walking into my LRMs effective range, and I would head core Stalkers all day long in my lil Assassin!)

#123 OneEyed Jack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:31 AM

View PostQuickdraw Crobat, on 01 August 2014 - 12:58 AM, said:

First of all, a lot of variants in-universe don't make sense as variants in MWO. A particularly good example is the ANH-1A and ANH-2A Annihilators- for the 2A one tonne each is saved by converting the AC/10s into LB10-Xs- and then immediately turned and put into changing the Medium Lasers into Medium Pulse Lasers. Net change in hardpoints or other equipment: zilch.

Just a note on this bit here. Most IS mechs in MWO have more hardpoints than the stock variants have weapons. Often enough, the difference in MWO variants is the "bonus" hardpoints added. A bonus hardpoint or two, which another variant doesn't have, of a particular weapon type, can easily differentiate variants of which the stock loadouts are virtually identical.

#124 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:37 AM

View Poststjobe, on 01 August 2014 - 07:26 AM, said:

No love for the Clint? Was always a surprisingly effective 'mech in my scout lances...

Not really a ton for me. I would not say no, but not get excited. It has the same base speed and armor profile of the Vulcan, but worse hardpoints, (more than likely) and the Vulcan could have an amazing profile in MWO.
Posted Image

which as an artsy guy, I love.

Clint...is kinda MEH, visually, though I use them heavily in MW:T.

And the Assassin is faster, jumpier and has missiles.

but I do want ALL the 40 tonners, eventually,
Posted Image

plus:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

are all on my short list of designs I hope make the cut, for various reasons, though some being 3055 TRO designs, are a ways off.

#125 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

We have 11 medium mechs already, most of them 45-50 tons. Is number 12 really going to be used much right now?

Do something exciting PGI, like the Zeus .

Or be bold and release the Unseen Marauder's scrapped part cousin the Bandersnatch 16 months early. The Bandersnatch is not an Unseen and since we are blocked by 21st century legalities from getting the 31st century Marauder it stands to reason that the Bandersnatch could be rushed into service as in the lore.

#126 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:56 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 01 August 2014 - 07:48 AM, said:

We have 11 medium mechs already, most of them 45-50 tons. Is number 12 really going to be used much right now?

Do something exciting PGI, like the Zeus .

Or be bold and release the Unseen Marauder's scrapped part cousin the Bandersnatch 16 months early. The Bandersnatch is not an Unseen and since we are blocked by 21st century legalities from getting the 31st century Marauder it stands to reason that the Bandersnatch could be rushed into service as in the lore.

while I strongly opine we can never have too many Mediums, I would love to see the Bandy make it in game.

Another Heavy I want is the Rakshasa
Posted Image

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 01 August 2014 - 07:58 AM.

#127 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:57 AM

View PostCorralis, on 01 August 2014 - 01:53 AM, said:

We already have 9 mediums, we don't need any more mediums. We have 6 lights and 7 heavy's and assaults. so the next mech should be a light followed by assault, heavy, light, assault, heavy, light and then you can have another medium.

There's limited variety in what a light can do. With low available tonnage, you can't really bring a truly unique light to the game that's not already got it's role filled and is capable.

Lights: A few energy and missile hardpoints in various areas. Not much you can do with ballistic, but they're already available in any case.

New effective lights will look different, but not really bring new experiences to gameplay.

#128 3rdworld

• 3,562 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:46 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 August 2014 - 07:20 AM, said:

thanks. We clash often, so it actually means a bit more, coming from ya. For reasons not fully understood even by myself, the Assassin has always been a personal favorite.

I would kill to get the Assassin and the Vulcan to add to my Medium Mech stable.

For sure. I always liked the assassin art for the CCG, my first real entrance into the Btech universe. Yours, looks better.

Posted Image

#129 PANZERKAT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 346 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:36 AM

View Postverybad, on 01 August 2014 - 07:57 AM, said:

There's limited variety in what a light can do. With low available tonnage, you can't really bring a truly unique light to the game that's not already got it's role filled and is capable.

Lights: A few energy and missile hardpoints in various areas. Not much you can do with ballistic, but they're already available in any case.

New effective lights will look different, but not really bring new experiences to gameplay.

I wouldn't be butthurt if they stayed away from lights until MASC or the Urbanmech.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 August 2014 - 07:56 AM, said:

while I strongly opine we can never have too many Mediums, I would love to see the Bandy make it in game.

Another Heavy I want is the Rakshasa
Posted Image

That may look too close to a Marauder that we'll never see the Rakshasa.

#130 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

View PostQuickdraw Crobat, on 01 August 2014 - 12:58 AM, said:

The real problem we're looking at from this point forwards with Inner Sphere 'mechs is that most of the available ones with three or more variants (not including remarkable/hero 'mechs) that even slightly fit the chronology have already been done- and there aren't a whole lot with three variants even if we ignore the chronology.

The Flea (already announced), Thorn, Mongoose, Hermes, Hussar, Javelin, Wolfhound, Assassin, Clint, Dervish, Hermes II, Sentinel, Vindicator, Vulcan, Whitworth, Hatchetman (HCT-3F, HCT-3NH (see also, here, here, and here), and HCT-5S; make the Hatchet "fixed equipment", regardless of whether or not it is functional), Champion, Lancelot, Grasshopper, Guillotine, Black Knight, Charger, Cyclops, Hatamoto-Chi, Zeus, and King Crab all have the required three variants available (or reasonably able to be available) in or before 3050.

Bryan Ekman discusses the Mauler in his interview during NGNG # 103 (posted Feb. 21, 2014), from the 32:56 mark to the 33:16 mark - Bryan indicated that he had "seen a Mauler", that Alex Iglesias was working on a concept for the Maluer, and that he (Bryan) "is not saying when it's coming out" during the interview.
This raises the possibility of seeing a Mauler implemented in MWO, either by Also, note that it was Bryan who indicated that the King Crab had been "floated internally for a while" and was/is "on a list" as of March 03, 2014...

In addition, there are the other eight original Clan OmniMechs (Dasher, Koshi, Dragonfly, Fenris, Vulture, Loki, Man O' War, and Gladiator), plus some newer-print Clan OmniMechs that would have enough configs/"variants" in active service within the Clans' militaries in or before 3050 (such as the Hankyu, Battle Cobra, Pouncer, Shadow Cat, Stooping Hawk, Nobori-nin, Crossbow, Cauldron-Born, and Kingfisher).
By the time PGI has worked through those, several more 'Mechs will have become available; 'Mechs such as like the Fire Falcon, Phantom, Black Lanner, Linebacker, Night Gyr, and Turkina become available in 3052 (shortly-before, during, or shortly-after the Battle of Tukayyid), and the Grendel becomes available in 3053.

At the rate at which they go, there is no real danger of PGI running out of 'Mech chassis anytime soon. :rolleyes:

Edited by Strum Wealh, 01 August 2014 - 09:45 AM.

#131 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:15 AM

i'm interested in seeing

Vindicator
King Crab
Albatross
RampagePosted Image

#132 Throbbinwood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

Awsome designs Bishop!

#133 Artgathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 01 August 2014 - 07:48 AM, said:

We have 11 medium mechs already, most of them 45-50 tons.

There's 1 40 ton mech and 1 45 ton mech. 4 50 tonners, 5 55 tonners.

#134 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

View PostArtgathan, on 01 August 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

There's 1 40 ton mech and 1 45 ton mech. 4 50 tonners, 5 55 tonners.

exactly. I crave more 40-45 tonners.

#135 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

I'd get it-purely because I'm a sucker for the smaller mechs.
However in AssaultHeavywarrioronline, it'll just get crushed.

#136 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:26 AM

View Postkamiko kross, on 01 August 2014 - 11:12 AM, said:

I'd get it-purely because I'm a sucker for the smaller mechs.
However in AssaultHeavywarrioronline, it'll just get crushed.

nonsense, we need to turn this into Lightwarrior. Nothing funnier than distracting 5 mechs because they want an easy kill on a light mech. Almost forgetting that they are fighting my team while I am running through them. Only in the solo Que, where anything is possible.

#137 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:26 AM

My wants, moreso than the Vindicator, are:

Urbanmech
Assassin
Hatchetman
Zeus
Cyclops
King Crab

All or any of those? I'm happy.

#138 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 01 August 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

nonsense, we need to turn this into Lightwarrior. Nothing funnier than distracting 5 mechs because they want an easy kill on a light mech. Almost forgetting that they are fighting my team while I am running through them. Only in the solo Que, where anything is possible.

I so wish that to be true, I so wish....

#139 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

Rakshasa mmmmmm

#140 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:20 PM

I don’t see any problem with releasing the Vindicator. Yeah, several other ‘Mechs can “do its job better”, but frankly? If that’s your sole concern for ‘Mech releases, this isn’t really your game anyways. Everybody’s got old favorites, and as has been pointed out we’re starting to scrape pretty thin for stuff Piranha’s even able to do inside their own messed-up three-variant system. The Vindicator’s in a thinly populated weight bracket, it’s jump-capable, and it’s sufficiently different from the Blackjack (elbows, missiles, brain-mounted hardpoints, Liao-ness – not that the last is a plus, mind :rolleyes:) that it can satisfy a different set of itches. Why not let folks have it? So what if it ends up not taking a seat at the head of the meta table?

That said…I’m starting to get as bothered/worried as Quickdrawbat is over the limitations Piranha’s set themselves here. We need M.A.S.C., stat. It’s too widespread a technology to just vanish into the aether like this, and that’s not even touching on the issues with a sharply declining list of ‘Mechs with an appropriate number of differentiated variants. They’re going to have to do some fancy stepping just to make the Mauler legal; what happens when we get into the later TROs where most ‘Mechs don’t have any variant models at all?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users