946 replies to this topic

#501 Augustus Martelus II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 476 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMontréal, QC Canada

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:29 PM

Don t see a lot except on River city....and the ones that i killed this week end who put it on the desync :)

Its better since last patch.

#502 CN9 ACE PILOT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 306 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUNKNOWN

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

I mean...yeah, would be nice if they did stop.

But you can't fix what is broken, if you don't know where it's broken at, and with a list as long as the current one...well...

At the rate they pump out hero mechs and the original clan prices, i have the sneaking suspicion they are most likely on a very tight budget, and at this point they have done away with their private test server and resorted to force let every one participate in a mass tests.

#503 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

[color=#959595]But you can't fix what is broken[/color]

Let me fix this for you....

"But you can't fix what ISN'T broken."

As for how solvant the company is, I've no idea. They're hiring which they claim is a good sign... but we'll see.

#504 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:00 PM

Yeah, paranoia is what we have here.

Any people who are good will use the group que unless it is a tourney. Then they'll bypass the "solo" rule. You must play on a totally different time zone than I do, cause I don't see any syncs.

Also, when you propose a solution instead of complaining and expecting someone else to, then I'll listen and not consider you a whiner.

Edited by DavidHurricane, 27 August 2014 - 04:01 PM.

#505 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:01 PM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 27 August 2014 - 04:00 PM, said:

Yeah, paranoia is what we have here.

Any people who are good will use the group que unless it is a tourney. Then they'll bypass the "solo" rule. You must play on a totally different time zone than I do, cause I don't see any syncs.

It can't really be considered pure paranoia when you've got guys like KJudoon here saying that he does it.

#506 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:02 PM

View PostRoland, on 27 August 2014 - 04:01 PM, said:

It can't really be considered pure paranoia when you've got guys like KJudoon here saying that he does it.

As much as I respect you all, come up with a solution. Then I'll listen.

#507 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:19 PM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 27 August 2014 - 04:02 PM, said:

As much as I respect you all, come up with a solution. Then I'll listen.

oddly enough I thought of a simple one.

Program in a random 0-X (say 30) second delay when anyone hits the launch buttonbefore it actaully makes them available in the queue. Basically desyncs the button and makes the whole idea moot.

No policing would then be needed.

#508 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:21 PM

View PostRussianWolf, on 27 August 2014 - 04:19 PM, said:

Program in a random 0-X (say 30) second delay when anyone hits the launch buttonbefore it actaully makes them available in the queue. Basically desyncs the button and makes the whole idea moot.

Random 0-10. You don't want the wait delay to be too long, unless of course the player can do something while waiting (assuming he has one monitor and uses full screen mode, and has something to do).

#509 SixstringSamurai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 930 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Guys Are So Bad I'm Moving To The Moon

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:23 PM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 27 August 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

Random 0-10. You don't want the wait delay to be too long, unless of course the player can do something while waiting (assuming he has one monitor and uses full screen mode, and has something to do).

What about searches that take longer then 10-30 seconds wouldn't they just be added to the queue until it was filled? Resulting in the same?

#510 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

Great idea, but they need to let us do something in the mech bay or star map while the wait time for the queue is passing.

On top of this there should be an accept to launch button pop up when the match is ready. Although this might defeat the purose of staggering drop uses.

The queue has been working great, but the screen locked for queue waiting and a few other things need some work.

Edited by Johnny Z, 27 August 2014 - 04:27 PM.

#511 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

so you're suggesting that PGI implement a mechanic that desyncs every single player in the game across the entire server from hitting launch at the same time?

View PostDavidHurricane, on 27 August 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

10 seconds wouldn't prevent much if anything in this case because a lot of players regularly wait past 30 seconds now to launch.

View PostJohnny Z, on 27 August 2014 - 04:26 PM, said:

Great idea, but they need to let us do something in the mech bay or star map while the wait time for the queue is passing.

On top of this there should be an accept to launch button pop up when the match is ready. Although this might defeat the purose of staggering drop uses.

The queue has been working great, but the screen locked for queue waiting and a few other things need some work.

all they have to do is let players know when the game has launched even when the screen is minimized. Not killing sound would be all that's needed for that. When you hear betty, you know it's time to put the screen back up

#512 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:30 PM

View PostSixStringSamurai, on 27 August 2014 - 04:23 PM, said:

What about searches that take longer then 10-30 seconds wouldn't they just be added to the queue until it was filled? Resulting in the same?

View PostSandpit, on 27 August 2014 - 04:28 PM, said:

10 seconds wouldn't prevent much if anything in this case because a lot of players regularly wait past 30 seconds now to launch.

True. But you don't just want them sitting there. That's stupid. Maybe just let them tinker with non-qued Mechs in the lab. Or shrink the window.

Edited by DavidHurricane, 27 August 2014 - 04:30 PM.

#513 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

I would still like a official response on this being an exploit or not. I got a response from support but nothing from community management. I get a desire to have cake and eat it too, but we either have a solo queue or we don't. If we don't, why don't we just mix queues? Having a solo unless you sync queue isn't anything like a reasonable option. If that is where we are going anyway I'll present a write up on how to reasonably calculated your Elo by weight class, how to test your relative Elo vs your friends, how to better sync your Elo, then how to test and adjust for matchmaker to best optimize your group for sync. If something is allowed then it should be viable for everyone. I'm fine with that (though at that point you may as well just mix queues) but we need to know either way.

#514 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:39 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 27 August 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:

I would still like a official response on this being an exploit or not. I got a response from support but nothing from community management. I get a desire to have cake and eat it too, but we either have a solo queue or we don't. If we don't, why don't we just mix queues? Having a solo unless you sync queue isn't anything like a reasonable option. If that is where we are going anyway I'll present a write up on how to reasonably calculated your Elo by weight class, how to test your relative Elo vs your friends, how to better sync your Elo, then how to test and adjust for matchmaker to best optimize your group for sync. If something is allowed then it should be viable for everyone. I'm fine with that (though at that point you may as well just mix queues) but we need to know either way.

26 pages, PGI is fully aware of this thread, they haven't answered yet I sincerely doubt they will

Have you ever noticed that PGI is very.... "political" in how they talk to the community?

"CW means different thigns to different people"
"We talked to some competitive players and this is the balance we came up with"
"That was our position at the time"

It's extremely rare they give any kind of definitive answer or info.

#515 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:39 PM

I can tell you for fact the player base is so low right now, I've mis-synced on several occasions by up to 2 minutes and gotten into matches with people in the sync. This would not solve anything. Wait time trumps all as it expands elo, Quad3 and group considerations at set times if groups cannot be made with the available population.

#516 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

View PostSandpit, on 27 August 2014 - 04:28 PM, said:

so you're suggesting that PGI implement a mechanic that desyncs every single player in the game across the entire server from hitting launch at the same time?

Yes, only because its the simplest solution. My wait times are long enough already that I doubt I'd notice it.

It eliminates the need to police the system and all the tracking involved that would eat up endless man hours.

Is it perfect, maybe not. But it shouls make the odds of a sucessful sync drop even more remote.

View PostKjudoon, on 27 August 2014 - 04:39 PM, said:

I can tell you for fact the player base is so low right now, I've mis-synced on several occasions by up to 2 minutes and gotten into matches with people in the sync. This would not solve anything. Wait time trumps all as it expands elo, Quad3 and group considerations at set times if groups cannot be made with the available population.

must suck, I don't think I've ever waited more than a minute even right after a patch when the pop is extremely low because they are all still patching.

#517 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:49 PM

View PostSandpit, on 27 August 2014 - 02:35 PM, said:

no, just because YOU think it's an exploit doesn't make it so. If PGI defines it as an exploit, then it's an exploit. If they don't, then it's not. Your opinion on whether it should be or is an exploit is irrelevant in this case. You don't get to decide the rules, none of us do.

Going off of the standard definition and response Mischief received, I think its fair to assume it fits their definition also. Now whether they allow it as an exception, that's another issue.

The 3rd party Voip they have admited fits their definition but have specifically allowed it.

The semantics can be argued, but that's all you are arguing at that point.

#518 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:50 PM

I chalk it up to either my elo's too high, low or sparse. I've waited up to 5 minutes for a match in the solo queue and then got stomped or was the stomper because they had to expand the elo brackets to get matches.

Edited by Kjudoon, 27 August 2014 - 04:50 PM.

#519 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:52 PM

View PostRussianWolf, on 27 August 2014 - 04:49 PM, said:

Going off of the standard definition and response Mischief received, I think its fair to assume it fits their definition also. Now whether they allow it as an exception, that's another issue.

The 3rd party Voip they have admited fits their definition but have specifically allowed it.

The semantics can be argued, but that's all you are arguing at that point.

no, i'm arguing that PGI has not said it's illegal. Period. That's a fact, not semantics. Until they say it's illegal, it's not.

#520 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:00 PM

View PostSandpit, on 27 August 2014 - 04:52 PM, said:

no, i'm arguing that PGI has not said it's illegal. Period. That's a fact, not semantics. Until they say it's illegal, it's not.

And I'm taking Mischief at his word.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.....maybe.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users